Jump to content
    CarlHoliday
  • Author
  • 7,326 Words
  • 696 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The G. M. Os. - 16. Chapter 16 - Abe

Chapter 16
Ship Clock 262299
Eugenus (Gene) 54-721c
Abe

 

Gene sat at his module watching an old Humphrey Bogart vid about the old United States Navy. It was one of his favorites and had watched it at least ten times. He had access to all of the actor’s vids and watched little else, except for Orson Welles, especially the vids he directed. Those were his two favorites, but that didn’t mean he didn’t watch other vids because he did and spent most of his free time doing that here in his bedroom. Since he had received his primary degree in agriculture management, he felt he didn’t have to read anymore, though he did on occasion. Mostly it was fiction from before 2583 when that kind of writing was banned. He didn’t like nonfiction or graphic novels for reasons he couldn’t explain.

Today, he had come back from the orchard early to work on the farm books, getting them ready for the bot tax audits that were coming up in Lagrangeth. That was only a month away. He was happy that everything had balanced, not like the last two times when he hadn’t gotten them right and Father had to spend four days away from the orchard fixing all the mistakes. This time, though, Gene had gone over the year’s harvest numbers three times and each time everything balanced out to a profit of over six hundred thousand credits. He knew Father was going to be proud of him because he was able to get it right, this time.

“Gene! Come in here!” Father called out.

Gene hit pause and went out to the living room where the house module was. Father looked mad and Gene consciously became worried that he’d gotten it wrong, again.

“Did you go over these numbers?” Father asked.

“Yes, three times, they’re correct,” Gene said worriedly.

“No they’re not; you’ve gotten them wrong, again. Look right here, you entered the total annual production of Golden Delicious at 20 tonnes. We don’t produce that much in five years. Golden Delicious is our smallest crop. Where did you get those numbers from? Look at the harvest counts; we didn’t produce more than 4 tonnes. Now, I going to have to go through all your numbers because you said we made six hundred thousand twenty-two credits. We’ve never had a profit that high. Okay, from now on, no more, no more working on the books. You just work elsewhere on the farm.”

“But, Father, I checked the nummers three times,” Gene said. He nervously licked and bit his lips. “Father, give me nother chance, I’ll get it right, next time. I promise. Don’t force me to give back my degree. The bots will never let me have my own farm. Please, Father, I’ll get it right.”

“No, Gene, you’ve proven once again that you’ll never be more than a worker. Now, go away, I’m mad at you.”

Gene ran to his bedroom, shut the door, and lay face down on his bed. He felt like crying, but that wouldn’t be of any use. The one thing he did know was that he had to find somewhere else to be a farmer. Somewhere he wouldn’t have to use his degree. He just wasn’t as smart as most people and had to, finally, accept that. He got up and went out to the living room and sat down in the blue wing chair.

“Father, do you have any idea where I can go to just be a farm worker?” Gene asked.

“There’s a commune on Ring 5. You remember, that’s where Moli lives with her husband. Eugeni says that they take in new workers all the time. Do you want me to get their address so you can find out how to apply?”

“Yes, Father, I think I might be happier there.”

“Gene, you’re a good boy, and now that you’ve reached majority you should be looking for a place on the ship where you can be useful. I’ll send a message to Eugeni and see if she can get the address.”

“Thank you, Father, I’m sorry bout the books, I just can’t do that kind of thing right.”

“I understand, boy, but it’s okay to be different in your own way. Now, go back to whatever you were doing. In a couple days we start the second harvest of the D’Anjous and you’ll have to do the count, and get it right.”

“Yes, Father, I can do that.”

Gene went back to his bedroom, sat down at the module, pressed pause, and went back to watching his vid. His mind wandered into an unknown future where he might be able to be just a farm worker, nothing else. Well, maybe they might need someone who was experienced on doing harvest counts, he would have to ask. He pressed pause on the vid, went over to his bed, and lay down. He imagined himself working on a commune. Would they have bots? Probably, farm bots were everywhere. He couldn’t imagine having a farm without bots; that would require a whole bunch of people. That many people would have to have some place to live. Where would they eat? The numbers were enormous, beyond his abilities to imagine.

He went back to the vid and lost his mind in the typhoon scene. There was little else he could do, except read a book. He pressed end, went back to his bed, and picked up his portable module. He had just finished a book by an ancient author named Jeffrey Eugenides, which kind of sounded like his own name. He entered that name and looked up the novels he had written. He selected Middlesex and started to read, becoming totally at peace in the words.

Later that evening, after supper, Gene was back in his room reading further into that novel when Father came to the door and said, “Gene, I got the address to that commune. Moli said to reference her when you send your message, that might help you move up to the top of the applicant list.”

“Thank you, Father. I’ll send my messange now.”

“Good boy, but you know you probably won’t receive a message back until tomorrow, at the earliest.”

“That’s alright, what’s the adderess?” Gene asked. He took the piece of paper from Father and went over to the module. He typed in:

EUGENUS 54-721C; R2F32

ECOM 99X-6445C-4

GREETENZ . . .

I AM AE 18 Y/O MAEL FARM WURKER ON MI FAMLEES FARM. I AM GUD FREND UF MOLI 20-578P. I AM LUKING 4 FARM 2 WURK ON 4 REST UF MI LIF. I HAV DEEGREE AGRKULTUR MANGMINT BUT AM UNAEBL 2 WURK THAT WURK BEEKUZ KANT WRIT GUD. I KAN REED BUT KANT WRIT. DOKTUR I SED HAV BRAEN DISBLTY. LUK 4WURD TO REEPLI SUENEST.

THANK U 4 KUNSEDRASHUN . . .

GENE

********

“Freddy, there is a message from a boy who is looking for work on a farm,” Theo said when Freddy came into the office. “He has a brain disability, but he also says he’s a friend of Moli.”

“Let me see,” Freddy said. She went to the module and stared at what were probably words to someone. “Theo, can you read this?”

“Sure, he can’t write, but, strangely, he says he can read. Okay, here goes: Greetings, I am eighteen year old male farm worker on my family’s farm. I am good friend of Moli 20-578p. I am looking for farm to work on for rest of my life. I have degree Agriculture Management but am unable to work that work because can’t write good. Doctor said have brain disability. Look forward to reply soonest. Thank you for consideration, Gene.”

“Wow, you were able to figure that out, how long did it take?”

“Oh, a couple read throughs. Do you want me to send a message out to Moli?”

“No, I’m going out there right now, if this boy is a good worker like he says, we need him here. Oh, do we have room in a dormitory?”

“No, that’s the problem; we’ll have to find some place for him to live.”

“That would be either Moli and Eddy or in one of the other two residences up there.”

“You know, neither of those are very good choices; he might not get along with Eddy and he might not want to live with gay men.”

“Well, I’ll check with them now and then you can send back his living options. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Freddy flew out to the flower farm and spoke with Moli and Eddy, who were not thrilled with the idea of having this Gene person living with them, especially since they had an application in for a set of twins. She flew down to the ranch and orchard and went looking for Abe and Ben. Abe was in the office talking with Charity and Ben. Two birds, one stone, thought Freddy, an old saying but still applied.

“Hey, guys, got a problem and I need your help,” Freddy said.

“What’s up?” Charity asked.

“Well, it’s not about you; it’s the men I came to see.”

“Okay, what do you need?” Ben asked.

“There’s a new resident who might be coming in the next few days and he’ll need a place to live. There isn’t a room in the dormitories, so I thought of having him out here. He says he’s a good friend of Moli, but she and Eddy are not excited about having him live with them. So, that leaves the two of you.”

“For the record, I do not want to have a boy living in our home,” Ben said. “Abe was enough for a lifetime, plus we’re thinking of applying to adopt twins. So, Abe I guess it’s your choice.”

“Well, Freddy, I not thrilled at the idea of having another straight man living with me, but it is kind of lonely in there without Roger and Eddy,” Abe said. “So, yeah, I guess he can stay with me if he wants to live with a gay man.”

“Good, we’ll let him know the living situation out here and see what he says. Oh, there is one thing. He has a degree in agriculture management, but can’t use it because he can’t write. I’ve seen an example and he definitely won’t be able to help in that area. Moli says he grew up on an orchard and vegetable farm of one thousand forty hectares, so he’ll probably be of more use to Peter and Dorcas and Moli said he’d probably be able to work out at the flower farm, too. They’re thinking about applying for another hundred thirty hectares giving them a full section, so they will need help.”

“Wow, four sections, that’s a lot of land, yeah, I am definitely interested in having him live with me, if he agrees to it, that is.”

“Okay, back to the office, we’ll send a message when we get word.”

********

“Father, sorry to intrupt, but I receive a reply from that commune,” Gene said, as he sat in the blue wing chair. “Can I ask you what a gay man is?

“That’s what male homosexuals prefer being called,” Father said. He turned away from the module and looked at his son.

“How do you know that?” Gene asked, puzzled that Father would know such a thing.

“One of the vegetable farms on the other side of town is run by two gay men, they’re married, Gene.”

“But, how can two men get marriage? That doesn’t make any since. Do they have sex with each other?”

“I suppose so, though, that isn’t something you ask people. It’s like your mother and me, most people would not expect us to have sex because we’re twins, but we do.”

“You do?” Gene asked, surprised that Father would admit such a thing.

“Yes, Gene, people who love each other very much often act on that love by giving each other sexual pleasure.”

“Oh, that make since, I guess.”

“Don’t let it bother you, boy. What did that message say about a gay man?”

“The only option for me living at the commune is with a young gay man, only an age older than me. I was wonder should I say yes. Do you think he would want sex with me?”

“Do you think you’re gay?”

“You know, Father, I never thought that. I know I want marriage Moli, but she went to university for I could. I have marriage to farm because bots won’t loan money if I’m alone. All I’ve ever known is girls. The boys I never seen as to marriage. Men don’t marriage men, but now you say that posble. I have to think about be gay. Oh, and they said I need to bring all my clothes and footwear. What are wellies?”

“Those are your rubber boots. Did they say when they want you?”

“Yes, soon as posble, some harvest coming up and they don’t have bots. Is that posble?”

“I suppose it is, if that’s how they run their commune.”

“Oh, you know what like to have sex with man? I have no idea.”

“Just like me, boy.”

“I wonder what it be. I will find out when I get there. When can I go?”

“I suppose right now, since we are between harvests. I’ll talk to your mother and see what she thinks. Maybe, we can take you over in the cruiser. Would you like that?”

“Oh, yes, Father, I would. Can I come back for visit?”

“Gene, your mother and I have discussed this situation and we might adopt another set of twins after the High Holidays. There won’t be any room for you to stay.”

“Oh, miss you and Mother.”

“Well, you can write.”

“No, I can’t write; I get special considration when I study for degree. I’m stupid.”

“No, you’re not! Enough of that kind of talk, you’re just different.”

“I am mution and so is Eugeni, she’s smart and I’m dumb,” Gene said. He leaned back in the seat and stared at the nano bot in the ceiling. It was sparkling, again. It always sparkled when they talked. He was a threat to the peace of the ship and had to be watched. The farm bots watched him, too. Even the household bots watched him.

“Gene, please, you are special in your own way and now you’ve found a place where you can live for as long as you want and Moli will be there, too. Now go into the mudroom and sort out your clothes and get them washed. This afternoon you can get started putting your clothes together for your trip.”

“How will I pack them?”

“How do you think you can do it?”

“Don’t know.”

“Well, why don’t you think about it?”

“Should I send accepterance back now?”

“No, not until we decide how you’re going and if we can get permission from the bots to take you there.”

“Oh, make sense. I go to my room watch a vid.”

“Gene, I told you to get your dirty clothes washed.”

“Oh, forgot; dry them, too?”

“Yes, Gene, you also need to dry them.”

“Okay, I do that, thank you Father for being so undestand when I talk dumb.”

********

“Freddy! We got another unreadable message from that boy on Ring 2,” Theo said. “He says he’ll be here tomorrow morning around nine, the bots are bringing him.”

“Send a message out to Abe and let him know,” Freddy said, coming out of her office. “Does he explain why the bots delivering him? Do you think he’s in some kind of trouble with the bots?”

“I wouldn’t know, maybe he’s on some kind of probation.”

“I wonder; I’m going to send a message to the bots and see if they’ll tell me what’s going on,” Freddy said. She turned and went back into her office.

FREDERICA 72-893B; ECOM 99X-6445C-4

BOT HQ RING 5; BHQR5-00A-0000A-5

GREETINGS . . .

EUGENUS 54-721C IS RELOCATING FROM HIS FAMILY’S FARM TO EDEN COMMUNE. HIS ACCEPTANCE OF OUR OFFER STATED HE IS COMING VIA BOT TRANSPORT.

IS THERE SOMETHING EDEN COMMUNE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THE STATUS OF EUGENUS 54-721C?

THANK YOU

FREDERICA . . .

Almost immediately a response came onto her module. She opened it and read:

BOT HQ RING 5; BHQR5-01A-0001A-1

ECOM 99X-6445C-4; FREDERICA 72-893B

EUGENUS 54-721C FAMILY IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO DELIVER HIM.

EUGENUS 54-721C IS NOT MENTALLY CAPABLE OF TAKING PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO YOUR LOCATION DUE TO NUMBER OF REQUIRED TRANSFERS. THIS IS NOT TO IMPLY SUBJECT WILL NOT BE OF USE TO YOUR FACILITY AS SUBJECT’S FAMILY CONSISTENTLY REPORTS SUBJECT IS A CAPABLE ORCHARD AND VEGETABLE FARM WORKER. UNFORTUNATELY, DUE TO SUBJECT’S BRAIN DISABILITY, SUBJECT’S USEFULNESS TO HERCULES III WILL NOT EXTEND BEYOND THAT LEVEL.

THEREFORE, TO EXPEDITE DELIVERY BOT TRANSPORT WILL BE PROVIDED.

BOT SECURITY RING 5

“Theo! Get in here,” Freddy called out.

“What’s wrong?” Theo asked when she came into the office.

“Have you sent that message yet?” Freddy asked. Her frown told Theo something was definitely wrong with their new worker.

“Yes, I just did.”

“The bots are bringing him because, not only can’t he write, he may be incapable of following complex instructions. I’m going out there and talk to Abe. He needs to know about this.”

“Are you going to reject his application this late in the process?” Theo asked, worried for the boy’s future.

“No, nothing like that; he just needs to know that this boy is probably on the low side of the IQ scale.”

“That’s a shame because according to Moli, his sister is something of a genius, she’s an astrophysicist.”

“What’s that?”

“She works in the bot dark matter lab doing research on propulsion systems.”

“So, she got the smarts and he didn’t; oh, well, I’m sure he’ll fit in as long as no one gives him a complicated instruction. Well, I’m going out and talk to Abe, Peter or Dorcas, and Moli, especially Moli; she should’ve told us about this.”

“Would that have swayed your decision?”

“No, we need qualified workers and he’s essentially been certified in that area by the bots, so I’m glad he’s coming, I just want to be sure what everyone seems to be saying is correct,” Freddy said. She stood up, but stopped from leaving the office. “I’ll probably be out there the most of the afternoon. I’m taking my speeder.”

Freddy went to the ranch office first and saw Abe at the module. She asked, “Are you busy or can you talk for a bit?”

“No, I’m sending a message to that new guy welcoming him to the farms. Will you and Marcy be coming over to the barbecue tomorrow evening?”

“Definitely, do you want me to invite Theo and Beau, too?”

“You know, I think that’s a given around here, I’ll send a message to Theo; Jack and Bill are coming out, too. You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if those two don’t put in for a certified commitment and a residence.”

“You got that message, too, then. Do you know where they would get the credits for a residence?”

“Probably ask Megan, like everyone else. I guess that new book of hers is doing very well. I’m sure glad the bots allow fictional writing, again. Those graphical novels were getting rather repetitive.”

“Okay, reason for my visit, this new guy’s disability is a lot more than we were led to believe. He can’t accomplish complex instructions. The bots are bringing him here because they don’t think he would be able to make the necessary public transport connections to get here.”

“Wow, that’s kind of bad. So, do you think he’s, well, you know, mentally deficient in some way?”

“Yes, I have to admit that; though, I guess he is a good farm worker, so he can do the work, but not follow complex instructions on how to do it,” Freddy said. She shrugged her shoulders and gave half a smile. “I guess I’m telling you this so you’ll be ready to give him as much help as you can. I’m going to talk to Peter or Dorcas and let them know, too. I wonder if he knows what time to get up in the morning. Maybe his stepparents woke him every morning when it was time to get to work. Oh, well, we’ll deal with that when he gets here. You’ve got a message coming in.”

“It’s from that guy, stay here and we’ll read it, okay.”

“Sure, sounds good to me, if you can read it.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well, open it and see it for yourself.”

Abe opened the message and looked at it:

EUGENUS 54-721C; R2F32

ECOM 99X-6445C-4; ABNER 34-793K

GREETENZ . . .

THANK U 4 YOR MESAG, I LUK 4WURD 2 B AT EEDN COMUUN. THANK U 4 SAE U RAEZ BEEFLOS, I DU NOT NO NUTHNG BOT BEEFLOS. I WURK ORCHIRD N VEGTBLZ. ND 2 AX QESHUN U SA U GA I AX FATHR BOT GA HEE SED THAT WURD 4 MAEL HOMOSXULS. HE SED GAE MEN CN MAREE HAV NEVR HERD SUCH THEENG B4. I DONT WANT MAREE HAV NT MT U YT BUTT MAEB WE MAREE LATR AFTR BNG N LUV FRST. AX FATHR BOT GAE MEN HAV SX BUTT HEE SED NOT 2 AX QESTN IF U HAV SX. HAV NOT HD SX YET LUK 4WARD 2 IT MABEE WEE DU IT WHN WEE LUV FRST MABEE NOT. WE TALK BOT THAT OK.

C U STRSDA . . .

GENE

“Well, Abe what do you think? He’s talking about sex and he hasn’t even arrived, yet. What did you put in your message?”

“Definitely nothing about sex; this message is barely legible; is this a good example of his writing disability?”

“Unfortunately, yes, and that’s one of the things I have to talk to Peter and Dorcas about; do you know where they are?”

“Should be in their office working up an estimate for their D’Anjou harvest.”

“Abe, don’t get too discouraged, I’m sure he’s a good boy, just doesn’t understand things and I hope you’re going to be good with him.”

“Oh, now that I know he’s going to need help, I’ll be here for him.”

Freddy went over to the orchard office, knocked, and went in. Peter and Dorcas were going over some figures on the module and she said, “Excuse me, but I have an update on your new worker.”

“Oh, what’s that?” Dorcas asked.

“Well, the bots are bringing him here because they say he is not intelligent enough to make the public transport transfers to get here.”

“Oh, no, don’t tell me we’re getting a dummy,” Dorcas said.

“Dorcas, you shouldn’t say something like that,” Peter said.

“Well, Freddy what’s wrong with him?”

“Well, first the good part, the bots are certifying him as a good farm worker.”

“And, the second part?” Dorcas asked.

“He can’t understand complex instructions; he’ll be of no use here in the office.”

“Oh, is that all?” Dorcas said. “I was afraid you were going to say his writing was bad.”

“It is.”

“Oh, okay, so we keep him busy out in the orchard and if we don’t have anything for him to do, he goes out to the flower farm, right?” Peter asked.

“That’s my recommendation.”

“I think we can live with that,” Peter said. “Dorcas?”

“Yes, we can live with that.”

“Good, I’m going out to the flower farm and talk to them, especially Moli.”

“See you tomorrow?” Peter asked.

“Yes, Marcy and I will be out here, looking forward to socializing with the new guy.”

“By the way, what’s his name?” Dorcas asked.

“Gene.”

“Hmm, thanks.”

Out at the flower farm Lee, Willy, Moli, and Eddy were working in the same row weeding some flowers Freddy didn’t recognize. “Hey, you guys, need to talk to you about Moli’s friend,” she said.

“What’s up?” Willy asked.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with Gene, now?” Moli asked.

“Moli did you know Gene isn’t quite as smart as probably everyone else?”

“Well, I didn’t want to say anything, but, yeah, he’s not the best when it comes to thinking out complex situations and, well, he’s easy led astray by wrong influences.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Look, Freddy, when Gene was eleven our childhood supervisor told him how to hack into bot secret databases and he got caught.”

“What happened to him?”

“He was sent to juvenile prison. Then, later when he was twelve he was trying to complete a degree course of study in molecular biology that had been assigned by the court and kept failing a test in chemistry,” Moli said. She shuffled around in the dirt a bit and then continued. “He was sent directly to prison for disrespecting the court. But, while he was there, they sent him home to work in the orchard, and, then, he was sent to a mental hospital where it was determined he had a brain disability that made it nearly impossible for him to take any complicated university studies. I’m surprised he got a degree in agriculture management, but maybe that was because they went easy on him because he can’t write. He’s a good worker; he just has trouble following instructions. His parents had to wake him every morning because he would forget to set his alarm.”

“Oh, okay, that probably explains why the bots are so willing to bring him over here. So, you guys, this is the deal. His primary function here at the commune will be to work with Peter and Dorcas at their orchard. When he is not needed there he can come out here. You can coordinate all of that with them. I’m sure when you really, really need him, they’ll let him go, but you need to talk to them, okay.”

“Sure, Freddy, we’ll do that,” Lee said. “Okay, guys, back to the weeds. See you tomorrow, Freddy.”

********

The next morning a bot high speed cruiser landed in the commune parking area and Gene got out. He waited for a second, then went back in and threw out his bundles of clothes and footwear. He looked around and then seemed to be thinking of something.

“Eugenus 54-721C we are at Eden Commune, we need to leave now, please exit the vehicle,” a bot said.

“Oh, sorry,” Gene said. “Thank you bringing me.”

“We are happy to serve, have a good life.”

Gene got back down on the ground and felt the unmistakable whoosh as the cruiser rose into the air. He turned around and watched it rise into the air and turn toward an exit spoke. He turned back and saw two men standing by his clothing. One was younger than the other.

“Hi, Gene, I’m Abe.”

“Oh, hi.”

“And, I’m Peter, you’ll primarily be working for me and my business partner. I look forward to having you help us in our orchards.”

“Yes, I look ford that.”

“Gene, first you need to go in and see Theo, then we’ll take you out to the residences,” Abe said. “She’s in that door over there.”

Gene looked toward where Abe was pointing and then saw there was another door. He went to the door Abe was pointing at, stopped, turned, and asked, “This?”

“Yes, that one,” Abe said. After Gene had gone inside Abe turned to Peter and said. “Well, I guess that is a prime example of what we’re up against. Can’t write and now it’s obvious he has trouble talking. Seems bright, though, but there’s something missing.”

“Well, we’ll see how he does tonight,” Peter said. “I think it’s a good thing Dorcas made up a map of our orchards so he can find his way around, I hope.”

“He grew up on an orchard, Peter. I’d be surprised if he ever gets lost.”

“Yeah, I suppose so.”

Meanwhile in the commune office, Gene was sitting in a chair waiting for the person who worked here to come out from where he or she was. Abe had said it was a she, but her name was supposed to be Theo. That was a man’s name. He would have to ask. He hoped he was sitting in the correct seat. He was a bit embarrassed that he had to ask if the door he was at was the correct one. That might have made those men think he was dumb, which he was.

“Oh, hi, you must be Gene, I’m Theo.”

Gene looked up at what was obviously a woman and said, “Theo a man’s name. I knew Theo where lived.”

“Well, it’s a girl’s name, too. You do know that Jean is a girl’s name?”

“Not spelled same way.”

“That’s right, it’s not. Okay, this shouldn’t take very long and then you’ll be able to go in and meet Freddy, she’s looking forward to meeting you.”

“Freddy man’s name.”

“It’s a girl’s name, too.”

“Confusing here.”

“Sorry, but I’m sure you’ll get used to it, eventually. Anyway, your full name is Eugenus 54-721c?”

“Yes.”

“Your reason for coming here?”

“Need find place to live and work. Not welcome at parents no more.”

“Okay, do you plan on getting married sometime in the future?”

“Uh, well, guess, but have to talk to Abe, since I with him. Can I say I don’t know?”

“Okay, Gene that will do. So you would consider marrying a man, then?”

“Oh, yes, if in love. I not if just about sex. That not right, is it?”

“Uh, no. I understand you have a prison record. Do you see yourself getting into any kind of trouble here?”

“No, cause happen cause I’m dumb. Hard to do right when stupider other people. Now, if people tell me do wrong, happen me first, well, might do that not knowing I commit crime.”

“That’s a very good answer, Gene. Okay, well that pretty well takes care of it for me. I’ll let Freddy know you’re here.”

Gene sat where he was and waited patiently. There was nothing else to do. He looked around the office and saw a picture of a man on Theo’s desk. Must be her husband or boyfriend, he thought. There were pictures on the walls, but they didn’t interest him. He wondered if Abe had a vid in his residence. He would like to watch one of his old time vids if he didn’t have anything to do today.

“Gene, you can go in now,” Theo said.

Gene got up and went into the door without knocking. An older woman, about Mother’s age, was sitting behind a desk. He looked around the room, but there weren’t any pictures in here.

“Don’t you know how to knock, Gene?” The woman asked.

“What does knock mean? Never heard of knock before.”

“Gene, sit down in the chair.”

“Which one? Are two.”

“Why not this one over here.”

“Okay,” he walked across the room and stopped at the chairs. “This one.”

“Yes, Gene, that one. Okay, so how was your trip?”

“Okay, with bots. Ride bots before, don’t talk. Are you Freddy?”

“Yes, Gene.”

“Good, cause fraid you not and was posed to see nother woman. Sorry I sound dumb, but I nervous bout this. Never been commune for, I think like live here. Ask a question? Why so many bees out in field?”

“Oh, that’s clover. The bees make honey that has a faint flavor of clover and when they harvest a crop they either grind it up for green manure or animal feed.”

“Was wonder. We had bees. Work in orchard poldinate flowers so have fruit.”

“Did you work with the bees?”

“No, farm bots’ job. They harvest honey. We sold all to bots. We not keep any cause too proffble.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes, that happen. Made lot credits from honey.”

“Gene, do you want to see Moli and her husband today?”

“I like Moli, but don’t know husband. Plan on marriage Moli. She smarter than me, went to university on Ring 1. I took classes on module cause not smart nuff go to university.”

“It really bothers you that you’re not smart as other people, doesn’t it?”

“I not this way beginning, think a person get older and become more sponsble for life, everthing get compicated. Grow up Mother, Father, and Eugeni, she genius sister, was easy cause did not have think much. Took classes on module, could never figure out. Know now was cause dumb can’t learn. Got diagnosis at mental hospital, Mother, Father did think for me. Didn’t make any cisions and when took agri-agri-culsure mangement, receiv waibers for the class too dumb to do cause can’t write. When got primary degree, Father make me do annual books for tax audits, but too dumb to do right. Why here cause had to give up degree cause too dumb to learn. Does any make since? I know I talk lot, but maybe cause I dumb.”

“Gene, first of all, we’re going to work with you to make you smarter. We’re going to help you start to make decisions for yourself. Yes, we need workers, but we need something more than just laborers.”

“What is laborer?”

“That’s a worker who just does a job and doesn’t have to think about it or make decisions about the job.”

“That is what I am, maybe I go home, find work where hire laborer.”

“No, Gene, you’re not going to get out of this that easy. As I said, we’re going to help you and I’m sure in the years ahead you’ll get a little smarter than you are today. Did you bring an alarm clock so you know when to get up in the morning?”

“Yes, but don’t know how work it. Father said would need it, but maybe Abe show me how it work. Has a twenny-four clock, so need one setting, but always forgot to set so not wake up.”

“How about I have Abe show you how to make it work? Then, once you know, no one will wake you up if you don’t set it. I’m sure in time you’ll learn to set the clock so you wake up. How does that sound?”

“Be ’barrassed have to go work late.”

“And, that’s the whole point. You’ll learn that when you set your clock you’ll wake up and not be late for work. How does that sound?”

“Don’t like be ’barrassed cause dumb.”

“Well, Gene, I think that about raps up our little chat. I want you to go out and sit with Theo because I’m going to talk to Abe and Peter. Okay?”

“I guess.”

Gene sat in the chair next to the desk and stared into the nothingness of boredom. Freddy, Peter, and Abe came in and went into her office and shut the door. He knew they were going to talk about him and how to work that clock. Now, he had to learn. Mother and Father never made a big deal about him being late to work in the morning and then they just started waking him up. He didn’t have to learn how to work the clock. Maybe what they did was wrong. Maybe they should have made a big deal about being late and then he might have learned how to use the clock. Now, he knew he was going to have to learn to set it every night or they would embarrass him when he showed up late.

Later, after arriving out where there were five residences, Abe helped Gene with his bundles. Knowing what to do, Gene put away his clothes and took his work boots out into the mudroom and put them under the bench. When he came back, Abe was sitting on his bed.

“Do you want me have sex now?” Gene asked.

“No, sit down, Gene, let’s talk. Where’s your alarm clock?”

“In cabnet, should get it, yes?”

“Yes, Gene, that’s what you should do.”

“Sorry bout be dumb.”

“First off, I never want to hear you say you’re dumb, never, ever, again. Do you understand?”

“But, not smart as you. Know cannot talk or write. Mother and Father do all for me.”

“And, that doesn’t mean you’re dumb, it means that people have been coddling you, letting you act dumb, when you’re not and that’s why you will never use that word around me anymore. Do you understand?”

“What coddedeling mean?”

“That’s coddling and it means letting you be woken up without having to learn how to set your alarm clock after you wake up so that it will wake you up the next morning.”

“Mother and Father did for me. Never make big deal bout me be late to work and then just wake me up. Peter be mad, yes?”

“Yes, he will and you do not want to make Dorcas mad, either.”

“Who Dorcas?”

“Peter’s business partner, she can be very mean if someone doesn’t do what they’re supposed to. Now, every morning when the alarm wakes you up, turn it off, and then after a few seconds turn it back on. That way it will be ready for you the next morning. Do you understand?”

“Yes, thank you for tell me how to do it so I do it to member how to do it. Mother and Father never do that. How long is second? Don’t know.”

“Gene, go get the clock. I’ll teach you how to use it, okay?”

“Sure, I get clock now,” Gene said. He got up and went over to the cupboard. After picking it up and closing the door, he stood for a moment.

“Gene, what are you doing?” Abe asked.

“Uh, you want me come back to bed? You didn’t say.”

“Gene, come over here and sit by me. Give me the clock. Thank you. Hey, this isn’t running. Where’s the battery?”

“Father took it when I do not use it cause they wake me up to be work on time. He use it somewhere he want. Do you have battery?”

“I’ll find a battery then I can teach you how to use the clock, okay?”

“I guess.”

“Now, would you like to go out and see the farms?”

“Yes, but want to ask first. When you start sex with me?”

“Why do you ask?”

“If we marriage, we should sex first so I know you know we know we like us. Right?”

“Well, I suppose that’s right, but why do you think we’re going to get married?”

“’cause we have sex and when we do we be in love and want marriage. I want have sex with you so can find out if love you.”

“Now?”

“Yes, then we go out and you show me ’round, yes?”

“Well, okay, but you might not like the way I like to have sex.”

“How I know I don’t like if you do not have sex with me?”

“Good question. Okay, come with me. We’ll do it in my room and if you like it you can sleep in my room from now on.”

“Like we marriaged, yes? Then you wake me in morning and I not have to learn to set clock. Yes?”

“Gene, I’ll teach you how to use my clock and then you’ll be responsible for waking me up, too.”

“Oh, but when are going to marriage? Not sure want to sleep with you not to be marriaged.”

“How about we act like we’re really good friends. We’ll talk about getting married later. Okay?”

“Well, okay, let’s go now. Do you want me to take off clothes now?”

“Uh, no, I’ll undress you in my room. That’s how I like to start it.”

“Oh.”

********

Later at the barbecue, after meeting a whole lot of people he probably was not going to remember, Gene was standing alone when Moli came up with her husband Eddy. He wasn’t certain if he liked Eddy, there was something about him that made Gene feel uneasy.

“So, Gene, haven’t seen you in a long while,” Moli said.

“Yes, been working at home.”

“Did you do any work in the vegetable fields?” Eddy asked.

“Oh, just beginning cause farm bots not distimguinish seedies from weedies, so my job do weeding until begables big nuff for bots to care them.”

“Gene, you talk like a dummy,” Eddy said. “I thought you were Moli’s friend. You don’t sound like anybody Moli would want to be friends with.”

“Eddy! Gene is my friend,” Moli said.

“We raise flowers,” Eddy said. “Have you ever seen an ornamental flower?”

“No, we don’t grow flowers; we only have orchard and begables.”

“I thought you had a small grain field like we did,” Moli said.

“We put more begables in, make more money from begables. I help do that. Father said I do good job.”

“Gene, is there something wrong?” Moli asked.

“See have a brain disability and not as smart as normal people. You know that, told you before.”

“You’re a dummy, then,” Eddy said.

“Eddy! Gene is my friend and you will not talk to him like that,” Moli said.

“Yes, Mother. Sorry, Gene, it slipped out.”

“Is okay. Abe said not to say round him that dumb, but am. Can’t talk, write, and do things like normal people. I get confuzzed.”

“Oh, that’s a shame. Do you think you’ll be able to weed a row of seedling flowers?”

“Well, crop in straight line. Weedies are scatterted bout, have to get all weedies out so not be seedies and have to throw away rightly so they do not go seedie anyway. Some do that.”

“Oh, Gene, what are we going to do with you?” Moli asked.

“Peter, Dorcas, and Abe say help me get smarter. Like at home had to do count, but not ever got right. Father never correcteded me, so never learneded.”

“Hey you guys, what’s going on over here?” Abe asked as he walked up.

“We talking, I getting know Eddy better,” Gene said.

“Eddy, we need to talk,” Abe said. “Let’s go inside.”

After they left Moli asked, “What do you make of that?”

“Abe tell Eddy he can’t come over no more,” Gene said.

“What do you mean?”

“Abe and I become lovers, he told me so,” Gene whispered. “We had sex today. We have it more, too. I be sleep with him from now on. Do you think Eddy be mad at me?”

“I don’t know, Gene, I just don’t know.”

“Would you more wine? My soda is bout gone and I make nother.”

“You don’t drink, do you?”

“No, makes me feel funny. Does Eddy drink?”

“No, he takes medicine and isn’t supposed to. Gene, if Eddy tells me not to see you anymore, will that be okay with you?”

“Well, we have not seen each other for over hundred years, so I guess might mind, but I miss you now. We close each other now.”

Suddenly, Eddy appeared and grabbed Moli’s arm, “We’re leaving now! And you will never see that man, again. He is not welcome out at the flower farm. There are words for people like you, Gene, but I will not say anything because Moli is here.”

Gene watched Eddy pull Moli away from the patio and toward their own. He heard the door slam and knew there was going to be a fight. Abe came out, jostled Gene’s elbow, and said. “He didn’t take that very well.”

“Did you tell him we become lovers and sleep together?”

“Yes, I figured the whole truth was better than just an excuse that you’re living in my house. Did you have fun this afternoon?”

“Oh, yes, very much, and I look forward to more sex. Abe, we fall in love and you marriage me.”

“That sounds like a good idea. Come on, let’s go join the party.”

Copyright © 2016 CarlHoliday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..