Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Solcar - 1. Avalon 2005

p style="text-align:center;"> Prompt 355 – Creative
Tag – The book

You found this really incredible book in the little used book store on your last shopping trip.
What blows your mind is you find yourself reading about your own life experiences.

Colton felt drawn to the little bookstore with the beautifully carved, hand-painted wood sign above the door. It was near his apartment in Chelsea, and he must have walked by it hundreds of times before without really noticing it. But he had never experienced the strange feeling that now enveloped him and compelled him to enter the place. He stepped inside, drawn by some energy that tugged him towards a table marked ―Under $10.00― the deep discount stuff. Mostly trashy romance novels, self-help paperbacks, and Book-of-the-Month cardboard cover editions. But amidst the jumbled contents on the wood surface, one small, leather-bound book drew his attention.

Gently picking it up and opening it to a random page, the attractive young man experienced a sense of déjà vu. The story was taken from his past: it was the tale of Cameron Scott, the story of a lanky, blond fourteen-year-old on the verge of manhood. The recounting of a childhood family trip, of warm sand and blue waters, and a little girl building a sand castle next to the boy. As he read the page in front of him, he realized it recounted in minute detail the events of that fateful summer day.

Intrigued, he decided to buy the book. After stopping at the Starbucks next door for a latte, he crossed the street, walking towards the small urban park and playground around the corner. The bench faced inwards, towards the vegetation somehow thriving amidst the concrete jungle surrounding it. Opening the small leather-bound book again, he read of the day at the beach.

•••

“Cam, can we go get some ice cream before we leave?” the pretty five-year-old girl asked her big brother.

‘Sure thing, Princess, I’ll take you now if you’re done with your sand castle. Mom, Dad, we’re heading over to Buccaneer’s to get some ice cream, okay? Can you pick us up there when you’re ready to go?”

“Are you guys riding back to Philly in your bathing suits? You don’t want to stop at the beach house to clean up?” Their mother raised an eyebrow to punctuate her question.

“Nah, we’ll take our shirts and towels and rinse at the outdoor shower by the Lifeguard Station.”

“Sweetheart, you listen to your brother, okay?”

“Yes, Mommy.”

The fourteen-year-old kid held his little sister’s hand as they walked to the boardwalk shower to rinse the sand off their bodies. After patting themselves down with their beach towels, they walked the four blocks to the ice cream parlor. The warm sun and the slight afternoon breeze had them pretty dry by the time they reached their destination.

“What do you want today, Princess? Your usual?”

The little girl gazed at her brother with her big blue eyes wide open and a smile on her face. She nodded.

“You got it! Hi, could we please have a small cup of vanilla bean with peanut butter topping and two scoops of Pirate Praline on a sugar cone?”

“Coming right up, handsome.” The older teenage girl behind the counter winked at him. Her comment and her flirty smile made the boy blush.

“Yummy! Thank you, Cam! I love you.”

“I love you too, Princess; let’s sit on the bench outside and wait for Mom and Dad.”

 

The ride home on Black Horse Pike was almost twice as long as it would have been on the Atlantic City Expressway; Cameron’s father liked the secondary road twisting through Southern New Jersey, so that was always their route. The boy sat up front in the passenger seat while his sister had fallen asleep with her head on their mother’s lap in the back.

“Hun, we need gas; I’m going to stop and fill up the tank in May’s Landing. We can take a bathroom…”

The father never finished his sentence. He had turned around to look at his wife, missed the stop at the intersection with US Highway 40, and an eighteen-wheeler broadsided the car.

 

Cameron woke up sweating and with tears streaming down his face. He had experienced the nightmare again: the crunching of metal, the blood, the emergency personnel, and the sound of sirens. He had woken up in a hospital bed, and the doctor assured him he was fine, not even a broken bone. As always in the dream, Granpa was holding his hand. When he asked where he was and where his sister was, the man seemed to grow older in front of him.

“They are gone, Cam. All three died in the accident.”

•••

By the time he finished the two pages covering Cameron’s day by the ocean, the attractive man was softly crying. He would never get used to the tears; water leaking from the eyes seemed like such a strange thing.

Slowly fanning through the book while experiencing tightness in his chest, he stopped at one closer to the front cover. This time the tale was about a young man fighting in Persia under Alexander, a man who resembled Colton’s current appearance. Tall, blonde, muscular, and hairy chested. He skimmed the tale and tried a different page. When the third and fourth readings revealed additional scenes of the lives of other young men, Colton closed the book and his eyes.

The tears streamed down his face undeterred.

It had been so long since Solcar had been found guilty by the Council and punishment had been pronounced ―he now realized the end was near. His five thousand-year sentence was almost over. The sentence was coming to an end. The small leather-bound book recounted that sentence in detail, and he knew once he had read it in its entirety, the High Lords would finally accept him back into the ruling council.

My first story post ever. Comments of all sorts would be greatly appreciated.
Chapter has been renamed, revised and expanded
Copyright © 2014 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 8
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I wonder what he did to get kicked out of the Council for 5,000 years! Nice descriptions and the ending left me wanting to know more. Very nicely done. :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 05:39 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Now that's exactly the kind of prose the prompts were designed for. The descriptions are rich and distinct. Well done.
Thank you kind sir. Hopefully the next one will be better than this one but not as good as the subsequent one.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 06:11 AM, Valkyrie said:
I wonder what he did to get kicked out of the Council for 5,000 years! Nice descriptions and the ending left me wanting to know more. Very nicely done. :)
Wow! Thank you!

Been toying around with an idea for a story and the prompt was a perfect opening. Not sure it'll go anywhere and if it does it won't be for a while. Got my plate full trying to get my first story ready.

Thanks agai!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think the prompts offer a good chance to let one's fingers run away, to take a chance on different styles, and to practice all of those wonderful things that writing can do. That had nice imaginative twist to it, Carlos. I liked it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 09:22 AM, Ron said:
I think the prompts offer a good chance to let one's fingers run away, to take a chance on different styles, and to practice all of those wonderful things that writing can do. That had nice imaginative twist to it, Carlos. I liked it.
Thanks for the review Ron. The prompt matched perfectly with an idea rattling around inside my head and I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad that my first store post ever has been well received so far.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 02:09 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Very intriguing and suggestive! I can't wait to read more! :) great start.
Thanks Cole. I think I may want to revisit Solcar sometime soon. That little snippet raised a lot of questions and I hate loose ends.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/26/2014 11:44 PM, Run4Funds said:
Wow Carlos. I liked this Story, it was like you took us there in real life. I'm gonna read the next one.

 

Jess

Glad you enjoyed it Jess. Trying to cram a lot of info and emotions in a short snipet is hard but good practice for editing down anything else I write.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very interesting concept, it left me wanting more. I wonder how many lives he lived in those five thousand years and who is this council? Cheers...Gary

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/27/2014 01:23 AM, Headstall said:
Very interesting concept, it left me wanting more. I wonder how many lives he lived in those five thousand years and who is this council? Cheers...Gary
Thanks Gary! Not sure how many lives he has lived but considering his 'sentence' was for 5000 years I think I can cover a few more writing prompts. I'm not sure if those were Earth years or home years for Solcar so we'll just have to wait and see.

 

The premise gives me a lot of latitude and I'd like to jump all over the place as he sits there reading his little book.

 

Let me get a few of these under my belt and I'll probably up the word count then!

 

Carlos

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So many hints and possibilities in this short prompt.

Solcar must be alien from the talk of tears being weird for him and the 5000 years spent in exile.

And not only in exile but living lives filled with sorrow, beginning with losing his family as a child. I hope we'll get to read many chapters from the small book.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 07:58 PM, Timothy M. said:
So many hints and possibilities in this short prompt.

Solcar must be alien from the talk of tears being weird for him and the 5000 years spent in exile.

And not only in exile but living lives filled with sorrow, beginning with losing his family as a child. I hope we'll get to read many chapters from the small book.

Wow! Thanks Tim!

 

What a great thing to wake up to; a bunch of reviews of all the chapters all in a row.

 

It was very interesting reading how your understanding of the story evolves with each chapter.

 

Nice, quick catch on the concept of what Solcar has been living through.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/20/2014 at 5:09 AM, Cole Matthews said:

Very intriguing and suggestive! I can't wait to read more! :) great start.

This is exactly how I feel.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, mansexlover said:

This is exactly how I feel.

Damn! You've gone back to the beginning. This was the first real story I posted on GA.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Damn! You've gone back to the beginning. This was the first real story I posted on GA.

yes have started reading your work from the beginning as I enjoy it so much xx

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mansexlover said:

yes have started reading your work from the beginning as I enjoy it so much xx

Thank you!

Some of the early stories are VERY rough. I think (hope?) I've improved over time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, this is interesting. I could kick myself for not rummaging about in your early stuff before now. I like this

  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, dughlas said:

Well, this is interesting. I could kick myself for not rummaging about in your early stuff before now. I like this

I don't brag about these early efforts too much, since they're definitely not as well-written as later ones.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..