Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 980 Words
  • 600 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Broken Path, Starless Tail - 16. Chapter 16

Beckett should have waited until she had the spell and crescents, shouldn’t he? “Will she come back out?” he asked Valrinda.

“Of course. A wizardess who doesn’t keep their word doesn’t get much business, would they?”

Oh. Good point. “Okay.” He’d just wait.

An incredibly tall, green-skinned man with yellow eyes and three black horns opened the door. “Here.” He thrust out two huge hands, one holding a bag and the other a water flask like the one Beckett had seen on other’s belts. Beckett nearly fumbled both as he took them. Dragging a miniscule paper from his pocket. “And this.”

Somehow he grabbed that too. “Um, thanks.” The door slammed in his face again, and Beckett turned with wide eyes to Valrinda. “What was that?”

“Her familiar, probably. Or slave.”

“Slave!” Beckett’s voice rose dangerously high, and he stared in shock at Valrinda. “You have slaves?”

“Only if they enslave themselves to gain something. In his case, probably a spell.”

“He traded his body?” Indentured servitude. “We used to have something like that, once upon a time.” That was freaking crazy. The bag he clutched in his right hand was heavy and clinked when he shifted his grip. Beckett went over and leaned against Valrinda. “Can you hold this?” He held out the flask.

“Uh-huh.” Valrinda clasped it in his claws delicately.

“This paper is what, the spell to fill the flask?”

“Yep.”

The writing on the torn section of rough paper was spidery and faint, done in a brown ink only slightly darker than the paper. He squinted at the words, mouthing them silently, not sure if he could figure out the syllables. “Shouldn’t she do that?”

“Do you want the flask only to fill up the first time? You need the spell keyed to you.”

“What if I say it wrong?”

“It’s magic.” Valrinda did his shrug thing. “It’ll work out just fine since she gave you the spell.”

“But she didn’t. Her familiar slash slave person did.”

Valrinda sighed. “But she wrote it for you and did the spell on the flask for you. It’ll work, so stop worrying.”

“You know an awful lot about magic.” Beckett grabbed the laces holding the other bag closed and loosened them to peek inside. Okay. So, azure crescents were literally little shaved pieces of curved blue stones.

“Wait, are these gemstones?”

“What did you think they would be?” Valrinda leaned over him to peek inside, his hot breath gusting and blowing Beckett’s hair into his eyes. “Oh nice. She must have really liked your human tech. She gave you premium crescents. You’ll only need one or two to get a belt and coat.”

Beckett shoved his hair back. “Personal space, remember?” Why did none of the beings in this place respect his space? “I thought they’d be metal coins.”

“You’re leaning against me. And who would use metal to trade? It’s worthless.”

Beckett’s face went even hotter than it had been when Valrinda had been breathing on him. “Oh. Yeah. Sorry.” Wow, how to explain money? Wait… why try? Moving on. “Where do I get a belt and jacket so I don’t freeze while we’re flying or at night. It’s cold at night in the desert, right? Back to the gnome store?”

“No. You’ll need a special seller for this.”

Traipsing through the city with Valrinda at his side, Beckett continued to try not to look like a complete idiot staring at everything and ignore the way everyone stared at him. They found a stall instead of a store that sold dragon armored coats, and he even found one that had scale colors similar to Valrinda’s. “These weren’t… skinned off a dragon, right?” he whispered even as he stroked the smooth scales that went down the long sleeves and all down the split sides of the coat that would hit him about mid-thigh. It even had a hood.

Valrinda and the stall owner’s laugh echoed over the thrum of the market noise. “No, they shed out when we go through a growth cycle, and we sell them. Very popular for armor and for jewelry,” Valrinda said.

Armed with a flexible metal belt that belted around his hips to attach his flask and crescents to and a lightweight jacket that promised to keep him warm while flying, Valrinda and Beckett grabbed food at one of the victualer stalls on their way toward the gates for another crescent that went into Beckett’s bag.

“Should we check how the coat works for you?”

“Yes!” He’d loved flying, it had just been too damn cold. As soon as they were back on the road, Valrinda crouched so Beckett could climb on. Pulling his jacket closed, he leaned down over Valrinda’s neck and grabbed on. “Ready.”

Valrinda’s muscles bunched and he launched himself upward, his wings beating up and down with hard thumps and taking them straight into the sky and leaving all the stares and other creatures behind within a minute. As soon as he leveled out, Beckett lifted his hood and covered his ears and head, but he was able to stay sitting up without getting all wet or freezing.

“This is great!” he shouted. The ground whizzed by underneath them, trees and bushes and streams glinting in the slowly setting sun.

Valrinda looked back, his grin wide enough to show even his sharp back teeth. “I’m glad you like it too!”

“How far can we go tonight?”

Valrinda pointed ahead of them. “How about to the river? There are some traveler cots built near the fords you can use tonight.”

Not sleep outside under the stars with Valrinda? He’d check it out, but maybe he could say it was too cold or hard or something. “Sounds like a place to check out,” he said noncommittally. In the meantime, he had a whole new world to see from the sky.

Copyright © 2023 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 22
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

raven1

Posted (edited)

It seems as though the currency of the realm is based on the rarity of an item.  At least Beckett has what he needs in order not to freeze to death as he rides the dragon.  It is a nice touch that the dragon skin was harvest by the dragons as they shed them.  Both Valrinda and Beckett keep making assumptions instead of keeping an open mind and asking questions.  

Edited by raven1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I love that Beckett wants to sleep under the stars with Valrinda. He’s developing an adventurous spirit.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..