Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 987 Words
  • 421 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Broken Path, Starless Tail - 33. Chapter 33

“Wake up!”

Valrinda’s snarl was truly impressive, and Beckett could feel the warmth in his neck increase rapidly. As much as he’d love to let him engulf the mage with a blast of flames, there was no telling if it would actually hurt him or not. While he didn’t like the mage—at all—Beckett needed his help. The star he was keeping in his pocket, and wasn’t that a trip to think about, needed to get back to Parallax as soon as possible. For that, he needed a portal, and for that, he needed this mage.

Beckett narrowed his eyes as he pushed Valrinda’s wing up so he could glare out into the too bright morning light that blasted over the bleak sand and rock formations. “Great. You’re here. Should we get started?”

“Not quite yet. Dragon.” The mage nodded at Valrinda, who had not moved from his protective stance over Beckett.

“His name isn’t dragon. You can call him Val.” Hey, asshole, you never told me your name.” He’d been calling the guy the mage, but he’d been too scared, angry, and tired to ask his name during the confrontation with the council the day before.

“Kastor Greengrass.”

“Seriously?” Not what he would have expected. “Whatever. Didn’t anyone teach you any manners?”

“Did anyone teach you that it’s dangerous to sleep exposed when you have something others want?”

Valrinda rumbled again, and Beckett put his hand on his neck. “Like you?” Valrinda asked. “Besides, he wasn’t exposed. I protect him.”

“No. I don’t need Parallax’s star; I have enough power of my own.” Kastor snapped his fingers and a flame appeared above a flat rock to their left. He snapped it again and a pot appeared suspended above the flames. “You also make a fair point, dragon. How about some breakfast? I am not completely without manners, despite your accusations, and I assume hunger is a big source of your regretful manner with me.”

“Waking me up by yelling is the source of my manner with you,” Beckett grumbled, mimicking Kastor’s haughty tone. “Who does that? You’re lucky I didn’t let Val burn you to a cinder. Which is what he is called, or didn’t you hear me? His name is not dragon.”

“I’m fireproof, but thank you for your consideration.”

Beckett rolled his eyes. Sanctimonious bastard. “You want to fill us both in on your plan, now that you’re here?” There hadn’t been time the day before, plus Beckett had wanted Valrinda to hear what Kastor had to say. He knew next to nothing about the world he’d been portaled into, the magic he was supposed to have, or what the solution should be other than find a new portal and get back to the real world to find Parallax and give Colby’s cat back the magical star that would supposedly give him back his tail.

Which he needed for some vital reason that mattered to everyone and everything. What Beckett really wanted to know was if he could use his magic to portal himself back. He was also really tired of constantly thinking about not having a plan, or wanting and needing a plan… he just wanted a damn plan and to get shit done. “Val’s my partner, so he will help me decide if we’re going to go along with your plan.”

Kastor raised one dark eyebrow as he swept his cloak aside to sit on a stone across the merrily burning fire. “I thought we had an agreement.”

“We did. For me to listen to your plan to get me to Parallax. Not that I’d follow you without getting advice from my guide, who I told you about before.”

The mage pressed his lips together, then nodded. “Just so.” He waved at the pot and ladle hanging over the side. “Please, eat while we speak so we may move on quickly once an accord has been reached.”

“You first.” Maybe it was rude but… no, it was just smart. Who ate something a mage conjured into life?

Sighing, Kastor pulled a wooden bowl and spoon out a bag that also magically appeared on his hip. What kind of magic did this guy have? He ladled something that looked like oatmeal with berries out of the pot, blowing on a steaming spoonful before he ate a bite. “Happy?” he asked.

“Ecstatic.”

“The pot is charmed to produce the meal you wish to eat, no poison included, so feel free to get out whatever your… Val wishes as well.” He paused at the sharp look Beckett gave him, but didn’t say dragon, so Beckett let it go. Beckett was able to dish up something meaty for that came out in nearly bucket-sized quantities and an eggy breakfast casserole with bacon and sausage came out for him. Was it any surprise he wanted to come back here? He wondered if he could learn to make the pot with his magic or if it was something that Kastor had purchased.

“So,” Beckett asked, gesturing with his spoon as he chewed. “What’s the plan?”

“We fly to Eshya and use the portal there.”

Valrinda’s wings flared. “Are you insane?” he roared. He knocked over his platter of food, and it quickly soaked into the desert sand.

“Of course not,” Kastor said calmly.

Beckett set his bowl down. “What is Eshya?” He darted a look between Valrinda and Kastor who couldn’t have been more different. Kastor was almost abnormally calm.

“Only a haven of dark mages who skin dragons to make their cloaks and young mages to steal their magic. No one goes to Eshya.”

“No one except someone who is in desperate need of a portal. My brother lives there, so I happen to know they have an active portal.”

“The brother who wants to steal Parallax’s star?” This was starting to sound shadier and shadier. “He just volunteered that information, did he?”

Copyright © 2023 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 11
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm so deep in the world right now, I'm scared of any backstabbing going on. This story walks a very thin line of danger and wondrous glory and I NEED TO KNOW MORE NOW. And eventually the cat needs a talking to, looking forward to that!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..