Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,156 Words
  • 1,823 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Caral - 3. Chapter 3

Wednesday before Thanksgiving, while Toby was in class, I drove to the airport to pick up a special package. “Welcome Carlos, let’s get you though customs.” Notoriety has some privileges, I have passed through customs so often they now just wave me though. Of course, having my brother being head of customs at this airport helps.

“Does Toby know I’m coming?”

“No, you’ll be a big surprise. Toby has told me about his feelings for you, how do you feel about him?”

“I feel as strong for him as he feels for me. Before he left the dig, we swore an oath that we’d be true to each other. That hasn’t changed for me and I suspect it hasn’t changed for him.”

“You’re right, if Toby told you that then you can take it to the bank. He’s a committed son and I’m very proud of him. He’ll be surprised to see you.”

Arriving at home, being a realist, I showed Carlos to Toby’s room. I had a good idea of what they would be doing but they did spend the time at the dig sharing a tent. Toby was old enough to make up his own mind, better under my roof than somewhere else. At least here he was safe.

“Carlos, Toby will be home soon. Go and wait for him in his room. He normally goes directly to his room with his books, you can surprise him.”

I heard the shower being turned off just a few minutes before Toby arrived home. “Dad, what did you to say to my professor, he was very excited today during class. All he lectured on was the excavations in Chile, Peru and Mexico. He asked me to comment on our current dig. After class he called his other students into his office but not me. I didn’t hang around, I’ll find out on Monday. I’m going to take a shower before dinner.”

I heard him walking upstairs, then I heard it. ‘Carlos’

Running downstairs, ‘Dad, why didn’t you tell me Carlos was here?” I just looked at him, he turned around, ran back upstairs. I didn’t need to hurry dinner, it would be a few minutes before they would come down.

I heard the shower being turned on and 30 minutes later Toby and Carlos came down holding hands. Their smile said it all.

On Sunday, Toby and I drove Carlos to the airport. I could see tears in their eyes. “Remember Carlos, we’ll be flying down for the Christmas holidays, let Dr. Viego know. I’d like to get a few good days in on that dig.”

I turned to walk away, giving Toby a chance to say goodbye. Young love, its deep and consuming but also a joy to behold. Toby being gay doesn’t bother me and Carlos is a nice guy. I couldn’t have picked a better partner for Toby.

Driving home I heard a few sniffles. “Just think in three weeks we’ll be at the dig. I wonder what we’ll find this time?”

“Dad thanks for flying Carlos here. I really like him, he’s so gentle and has the same interests we do. We must have spent hours discussing the dig. I showed him pictures of the digs I went on with you. I think he wished his father was into archeology. His dad owns a farm and a grocery store. He said a lot of what his father grows he sells.”

“I wonder what got him interested in archeology?”

“Did you know that Dr. Viego is his uncle. He said his dad was against him going to the university but his mother insisted. Dr. Viego is his mother’s brother.”

“I’m glad he shares your interest in archeology. The best digs I ever had were with your mother. She was an excellent archeologist and was able to add to our studies. I still have several of her books and papers. If you ever want to read them let me know.” Thinking about my wife as I spoke to Toby made me realize once again how much I miss her. I truly believed she was better than me in uncovering our past. I hope if Toby and Carlos team up, they will develop the same rapport I had with his mother.

While Toby was at school, I began to read some of Susan’s reports. Memories came flooding back as well as my tears. I miss her as a wife, mother and co-worker. I know she would be happy for Toby.

I must have been lost in my memories because the next thing I heard was ‘Dad’.

“In here Toby”

“Why didn’t you tell me you invited my class to go on the Peruvian dig?”

“I guess I forgot with Carlos coming, that was the subject of the day?”

“Yes, one boy said his dad said he couldn’t go but his mother gave him the money for the ticket. Now everyone wanted to see my pictures and read my reports. They are treating me as a celebrity. Don’t be surprised if they show up at your office. That reminds me, you didn’t go to your office today, one of the girls said she went to thank you and the door was locked.”

“I had one of my grad students handle my class load today. Let’s go out for dinner and you can tell me more about your class.”

 

Impatience took over the next three weeks. Not only Toby was excited but the eight students in his class were as well. Toby’s professor was beginning to question the wisdom of letting those in his class know about going on the dig in Peru.

As the departure came closer and closer, it was difficult to keep his students focused on their lessons. The final week the professor gave up, he turned his lectures toward conducting excavation techniques, focusing on the importance of preserving even those items that may, on the surface, have no legitimate reason to keep. To support his presentation, he had several examples. The last day of class, he presented slides showing various findings at digs, among those slides were examples of artifacts that on the surface would indicate they weren’t pertinent to the dig. He also had slides showing what appeared to be artifacts but in reality were not. He asked the students to determine what they would keep and what they would discard. After the slide show, he gave them the answers. The students were surprised by the answers. The professor had made his point.

 

The plane ride to Peru was one loaded with an excited class of course Toby was excited about something else, or better someone else, Carlos.

Arriving in Peru, Toby couldn’t wait to claim his luggage, going through customs he literally ran to baggage pick up area. Looking at the glass wall, he saw Dr. Viego but no Carlos. He looked at his dad, his face showed not only disappointment but also fear.

“Carlos is at the site. He went up yesterday to get everything ready. We’ll be leaving as soon as we get our luggage through customs.”

Toby felt a little relief but still was disappointed. He was counting on seeing Carlos.

As his dad had said, exiting the customs hall, Dr. Viego met the party. “We’ll be going directly to the dig. I have 3 large vans here to take us. Place your luggage in the back, take a seat and we’ll be on our way.” Toby and his dad made sure that they rode with Dr. Viego. They discussed the dig the whole way to the dig.

Arriving at the dig, Toby took off looking for Carlos. Drs. Viego and Bently watched as Toby saw Carlos. In no time Toby was in the arms of Carlos.

One of the girls in his class was watching, whispering to her friend, “No wonder he ignores me when I hit on him. He’s gay and that must be his boyfriend.”

“Well, if that’s his boyfriend, he has good taste.”

Dr. Bently interrupted the girls, “Ladies and gentlemen, take a good look around. This’ll be your home for the next few days. Carlos will show you to your tent and then we’ll meet in the large tent for a quick review and assignments.”

Everyone picked up their duffle bags and followed Carlos. The students who were here last summer recognized their tents, not waiting for Carlos, they took off, dropping their bags in their tents and headed back for the meeting.

“I’m glad you four are back before the others. I want each of you to take two of the new students, give them an overview. They’ll be working with you over the next few days. We need to discover how deep is the wall. Once we know that, we can begin to look for their encampment which history indicated might be in the rear.”

Over the next 10 days, the students discovered that working a dig was just that. No glory, just hard meticulous work. Carlos and Toby already knew this and put their minds to the task. At the end of the 10 days, they had determined that the wall was at least one meter tall. Only one section of the wall was uncovered. There still was a lot of work to be done. The students, under the direction of Dr. Viego and Toby’s father, prepared the site for departure.

 

Arriving back in town, Dr. Viego and Toby’s father arranged for an overnight stay at the local hotel. They would be flying out in the morning for home. Their spring break was over.

Toby and Carlos said their tearful goodbye in their hotel room that night. Arrangements were made to keep in touch until Toby returned in the summer.

On the plane ride home, Toby’s dad noticed the tears in Toby’s eyes. He knew that his son had found his mate and being young missed him. He also knew that they would spend 3 months together soon.

It was two weeks before school let out for the summer when Toby’s dad told him that Dr. Diego would be arriving the last week of school to make a presentation on archeology in South America.

“Is he bringing anyone with him?”

“I think he said he might bring his nephew with him.”

Toby’s smile faded until he remembered that Carlos was his nephew. Toby took off, he was going to FaceTime Carlos. The next morning, Toby with all smiles informed his dad that Carlos would be arriving this coming Saturday. “He said he has a term paper to do but he can do it here. That’s okay right?”

“Yes, of course, he might want to sit in your class. It would give him a new perspective. I’ll talk to your professor to make sure it’ll be alright.”

“I’m sure it’ll be okay. A few of the students that went with us told me they where going to change their majors. I think the hard work turned them off.”

Toby’s dad smiled, he thought he could name those that changed their mind. They were the ones who complained about the work.

That week-end Carlos arrived. Toby was all smiles. Going to class now presented another problem. Carlos was a good looking young man and there were young ladies who recognized that Carlos was good looking and listening to his accent only added to his charm. Normally Toby would have been concerned but he knew Carlos was faithful to him. There was a trust and understanding that existed between the two.

Dr. Viego arrived the following week-end, Toby, Carlos and Toby’s dad met Dr. Viego at the airport. There were a lot of smiles and handshakes. Arriving at Toby’s home, he and Carlos took Dr. Viego’s luggage to the guest room.

The discussion around the dinner table that evening centered on the dig. “It looks like if we’re lucky we might be able to clear a path to the mountain now that we have an idea how much fill has occurred.”

“With the plate we set, we should have an idea of how much soil was deposited and how long it took to get to the depth we uncovered.”

“Is that the purpose of the plates we set out?”

“Yes, with that information we should be able to estimate the age of the site. It will only be an estimate, however if we’re able to find any artifacts we’ll be able to be more accurate in our estimation.”

Toby and Carlos looked at each other. You could almost read their thoughts.

“Dad, Carlos and I were thinking that we’d like to work in front of that mountain. You know we’ll be careful and we were the first to discover the wall. What do you think?”

“First we need to make arrangements to fly to Peru, don’t you think.” Toby realized that he still had one week of classes.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Toby and Carlos are growing closer together 

I think if you ask Toby, they couldn't be any closer

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, interesting times at the dig ahead I am sure something will appear 

Besides a sore back? Sometimes the excitement of something happening is more important, expectations create drive

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It's obvious Dr. Viego knows about Carlos but what about Carlos Mom and Dad? From what I've heard being Gay might be harder in a culture like Peru.Will there be a scene where they meet the parents?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

It's obvious Dr. Viego knows about Carlos but what about Carlos Mom and Dad? From what I've heard being Gay might be harder in a culture like Peru.Will there be a scene where they meet the parents?

yes, there will be scene when they meet Carlos's family

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am going to assume they find something even more significant at their dig. I actually can't wait for that part. I wonder what it will be.

Wonder why Carlos' Dad didn't want him to go to Uni? Is it just because he expected his Son to work the farm with him? Does Carlos have any siblings that are helping their Dad?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

I am going to assume they find something even more significant at their dig. I actually can't wait for that part. I wonder what it will be.

Wonder why Carlos' Dad didn't want him to go to Uni? Is it just because he expected his Son to work the farm with him? Does Carlos have any siblings that are helping their Dad?

Carlo's dad was a self made man, i.e. a farmer. He wants his son to work with him on the farm. This isn't unusual, a lot of dads would like their son to follow them. I also suspect that the store is managed by his wife. Carlos's mother understands the need for an education, so she fought the dad so he could go to the university. The dad gave in, thinking that once Carlos finished he would come and work on the farm.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..