Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,025 Words
  • 1,739 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Caral - 5. Chapter 5

Toby was surprised one morning when his dad told him they would be flying to Peru on Saturday. He went and checked his calendar and then called Carlos.

“I can’t believe the semester will be over in a few days. I have my exams the next three days and then we’ll be flying back to the dig.”

Carlos was just as excited as Toby, but not so much about the dig as seeing and being with Toby again. Saturday couldn’t come fast enough. By Thursday Toby was packed. At dinner that night, “Dad, you like Carlos, right?”

“Yes, he seemed to be a serious young man, has the same enthusiasm about archeology as you do. Why do you ask?”

Toby took a big gulp, “When school is finished, I’d like to marry Carlos, now that it’s legal.” Toby held his breath waiting for his dad’s reaction.

“I like Carlos, he shares your interests, but are you sure about marriage? Have you discussed this with Carlos and does he feel the same way?”

“No I haven’t. We share a lot of the same interests and I think he feels the same way about me as I feel about him. I guess I just wanted to know how you felt. Once this dig is over, I’ll probably not see him anymore.” Toby had tears in his eyes when he said that. He just realized that when this dig was over his chances of seeing Carlos again would be limited, if ever.

Toby’s dad understood the pain that crossed Toby’s face. Finding one’s soul mate and then contemplating the loss is painful particularly in someone as young as Toby.

“There’s a lot of opportunities for future digs in South America. I’m sure there will be opportunities for you two to spend a lot of time together.”

“Dad what do you think of Dr. Viego? I was thinking of taking my doctorate at his university. I’ll get my masters here and then my doctorate there.”

“Dr. Viego is a well respected archeologists. However you’ll need to learn Spanish as they speak it. I’m sure his lectures would be in Spanish.”

“Why did you say his Spanish. I thought that Spanish would be the same no matter where you go.”

“The basics yes but each country developed their form depending on localisms. I’m sure there are some words in his language that came from the early inhabitants of his country.”

“So if I wanted to learn Peruvian Spanish I would need to learn it in Peru.”

Toby’s father laughed. Toby would now be determined to learn Peruvian Spanish. “Maybe Carlos might want to get his pHD here at my university. What then?”

For Toby the answer was simple, where Carlos would be, he would be as well.

On the flight to Peru, “Dad, how far do you think we’ll get this summer? I think we might get the pyramid uncovered and that’ll be all.”

“That’s hard to say. It’ll depend on how many we’ll have working on the pyramid and hopefully no one will be hurt. Since we have extra people to work on the wall, maybe we can send a few to work with you and Carlos on the pyramid.”

“Yes, we could use more sifters. We had to stop removing the dirt to help sift as the unsifted pile began to get ahead of the sifters.”

The rest of the flight, Toby was quiet but his mind was running on a full tank of gas. Of course most of his thoughts were on Carlos.

Arriving in Peru, Toby rushed to the baggage area as soon as he cleared customs. Of course he’d have to wait for his luggage and again pass customs before he could exit. But as soon as he was in the luggage area, he was checking out the large glass for Carlos. He didn’t see Carlos, his heart dropped and his eyes glassed over, as he was walking by the glass looking, he heard a rap on the glass, turning he saw Carlos who had a smile from ear to ear. Toby, ran to the window, looking at Carlos he mouthed the words ‘I love you’.

Being away from Carlos for a few months just made it more important to be sure Carlos knew exactly how he felt.

It didn’t take long before the luggage arrived, loaded on a cart and heading for the exit. Toby had a smile so large his cheeks were hurting from holding the smile so long. Dr. Bently looked at him and inwardly smiled. He remembered his first love, he remember well cause he ended up marrying her, Toby’s mother.

As soon as Toby was through the gate, he grabbed Carlos and not caring who was looking, gave him the biggest kiss he could. In Toby’s mind, Carlos was it, no questions, no doubts. He only hoped that Carlos felt the same way. By the way Carlos responded to the kiss, Toby knew that his feelings were being sent right back to him.

All the way to the dig you would think Toby and Carlos were Siamese twins, joined at the hip.

By the time they arrived at the dig, feelings were beginning to cool off. The boys, along with the total team, began to unload the trucks, set up the tents and helped in general to get the dig to the point where they could start in the morning. Drs. Viego and Bently gave a brief overview, made sure everyone knew everyone, Dr. Viego brought additional 6 people from his senior class. He made the remark that as soon as Carlos started talking about the dig, he was told that he had to bring the 6 senior students, they told him that.

In the morning, during breakfast, the team was divided into teams. Toby and Carlos along with Luis was assigned to the pyramid. Two other boys and one girl was assigned as well.

They met and decided how they were going to work. They decided that three would remove the dirt from the sides of the pyramid and three would sift. They would change every two hours to give everyone a chance at both tasks.

 

The first three weeks went well, slow but well. They all knew that was necessary to make sure they didn’t miss any artifact that may be in the removed dirt.

During the end of the fourth week, one of the crews assigned to digging out the circle, came upon a building at the base of the pyramid. Of course Toby and Carlos were a little disappointed they didn’t find the building but they were excited about the purpose of the building and what secrets it contained.

Drs. Viego and Bently decided to complete the excavation before they opened the building. Toby was excited and was anxious. Later that evening, “Dad, why don’t we open the building now?”

“Dr. Viego and I thought that maybe you and Carlos would like to open the building. So over Christmas holidays, we will come back and the four of us will open the building. Just don’t say anything to anyone. In a sense it isn’t fair but you two have been on this dig from the beginning and so if there are any papers to be written you and Carlos should do it.”

Toby’s dad knew that the best incentive for an archeologist is to make a discovery, large or small, makes no difference.

One looking from outside may think favoritism was being used in making that decision, and they would be right. It was important to Dr. Viego and Dr. Bently that their boys experience this dig. Based on previous digs in the area they knew there wouldn’t be any treasure in the sense of gold or silver, but they knew there would be something.

The last week was devoted to drawings and covering the dig. Toby had tears in his eyes as he and Carlos spent their last night together in their tent. Laying in each other’s arms, they pledged their love for each other.

It was a teary goodbye at the airport, but the boys knew they had made a pact. A pact made of trust and love which will help them being apart till the Christmas holidays.

 

Toby settled down into a routine, week days his evenings were dedicated to school work and an email sent to Carlos. Saturdays were spent on finishing school work and chores but Sunday was his and Carlos’s time. Letters were written but the best part was when they connected so they could chat face to face. Future plans were made, schools and where they would live after graduation. Even what type of home they would have, a city apartment, a house, number of bedrooms and should there be a room for relics, or a farm with animals but most importantly how they would find their digs and where. The answers to these questions weren’t important, what was important they were speaking to each other getting to know each other and their preferences at a different level. Almost like looking into their brains. Now that a commitment was made they needed to focus on those little things.

It was at Monday’s dinner when Toby asked his dad what he thought about something on his mind. “Dad, since I’m one year ahead of Carlos, I’ll be graduating this spring. I want to go for my masters and then my pHD, what do you think about taking a year off so that Carlos and I would finish at the same time?”

“Have you discussed this with Carlos? You do realize once you start your masters you’ll have teaching assignments with freshman classes, your studies will be more specific. To be honest I wouldn’t want you to interrupt your education.”

Toby didn’t like his dad’s position but he understood, he hasn’t expressed any dissatisfaction with his and Carlos’s relationship. In fact his dad was pretty clear that he had accepted his and Carlos’s relationship. Toby decided he would discuss this with Carlos over the Christmas holiday.

Toby’s dad didn’t tell him that this year they would spend Thanksgiving in Peru. There were several issues, Toby’s desire to finish school the same time as Carlos only being one of them. He needed to understand what Dr. Viego, being Carlos’s uncle, felt about Carlos and Toby’s relationship. There is the off chance he would not look kindly on their relationship. Not every one is as open as he is to a gay relationship.

Toby walked into the house prepared to spend the holiday studying. He had talked to Carlos who told him he couldn’t come up for the Holiday. He had tests and his father is having his 65th birthday.

“Let’s go. We have a plane to catch in 45 minutes. I packed a bag for you, take your school bag, grab a snack and let’s go. I’ll meet you in the car.” Dr. Bently laughed at the expression on Toby’s face.

Driving to the airport, Toby tried to find out where they were going. All his dad told him was that he had an important meeting on Friday and thought the trip would help him relax. Toby still wondered about why they are flying on Wednesday if the meeting was on Friday.

Boarding the plane, the cabin crew did their usual, walking the aisle checking on seat belts and making sure trays were stowed. Toby still didn’t catch on, his father thought for sure he would recognize one of the flight crew.\

As one of the flight crew went though the emergency procedures finishing and hoping they would enjoy their flight to Peru. That woke Toby up, “We’re going to Peru?”

“Yes, I have an important meeting with Dr. Viego. I thought you’d like to go along.”

Dr. Bently couldn’t have done anything more to prove to Toby that he had his support. Needless to say, Toby had a smile on his face they whole plane ride.

Landing in Lima, Toby rushed to the customs area way ahead of his father. He couldn’t get through customs fast enough. Arriving at the luggage area, he looked at the large glass wall, but no sign of Carlos or Dr. Viego. His face showed his disappointment. Joined by his dad, “Dad, I don’t see Carlos or Dr. Viego.”

“Well, we’re early. My appointment isn’t till Friday. I thought we might enjoy some of the sites in Lima. We generally go to the dig right away. I understand there is a fantastic museum here.”

Unknown to Toby, Carlos was at their hotel waiting for him. Dr. Bently was meeting Dr. Viego in the morning.

Arriving at the hotel, Dr. Bently had reserves adjoining rooms. He also made sure Carlos would be in one of the rooms waiting for Toby. Checking in was a simple affair, reservations were in order, credit card approved, and two keys were given to Dr. Bently. Now Dr. Bently had to make sure that Toby had the right room key. On the pretense of ordering room service, he went back to the desk. Asking about the room assigned to Carlos, the desk staff informed him of the room number.

In the elevator, Dr. Bently handed Toby his room key. “I have ordered room service for 8 so be ready. I suggest we eat together so as soon as you unpack and freshen up come to my room. I’ll be right next door.” Dr. Bently knew he wouldn’t see Toby till morning.

There was no excitement in Toby’s voice as he agreed.

Dr. Bently had just sat his suitcase down when his phone rang. “Dad, there’s someone else in my room. There’s a suitcase on the bed.”

Before Dr. Bently could respond, he heard a loud ‘Carlos.’ Then the phone went dead.

Now, Dr. Bently called room service and ordered breakfast for three to be served at 8:30 in the morning

The next morning, a very tired Toby and Carlos sat down for breakfast. Dr. Bently just smiled. He called room service and ordered another pot of strong coffee. Toby just smiled as he heard his dad order the coffee.

“Toby, why are you eating with only one hand? Normally when you ate you had both hands visible.” Dr. Bently knew where the other hand was since Carlos also was eating with one hand. He just liked to tease a little.

“Dad, we’re going back to bed for a little more sleep.”

“Okay, I have a meeting at 11 with Dr. Viego. Make sure you are up before noon, housekeeping will be coming to clean your room.”

As expected. A woman knocked on the door, “Room service.” Toby, cracked the door open and asked her to come back, “I got in late last night and I am just waking up.”

The lady said she’ll be back in about 1 hour, of course she said this in Spanish. Carlos heard from the bathroom where he fled when they heard the knock on the door and translated for Toby.

The boys decided they would not be here when she returned. “Let’s go and have lunch and then we can visit your university.”

As Toby left the elevator his phone rang. “Hello, let me ask him. Dad wants to know if we would like to have lunch with him and Dr. Viego, what do you think?”

Carlos nodded his head yes, “Okay but where will we meet you? —Does Carlos know where the restaurant ‘La Primavera is located? He knows, he is shaking his head yes. Okay we’ll see you in 10 minutes.”

“You will like this restaurant they make a great ceviche.”

Walking to the restaurant, “What is ceviche?”

“It is fish that is cooked in a spicy lime juice where the acids in the juice and spices give the fish a fantastic flavor. You’ll enjoy it.” Toby wasn’t so sure.

Walking into the restaurant, “There’s your dad with my uncle Luis.”

The boys walked over to the table and sat down, “We have already ordered. I just hope you like what we ordered.”

I knew my dad wouldn’t order anything I didn’t like. But I’m not sure if he wouldn’t order something I have never eaten before. I saw the smile on my dad’s face so I knew he had done just that.

Sure enough when the waiter brought over plates of fish in a clear liquid that contained smashed cloves of garlic, I knew this was the dish Carlos told me about.

I watched dad’s face as the dish was set before me. “Toby, before you say no, try it. Then if you don’t like it, you can order from the menu.”

That sounded like a fair deal to me. I took a piece of fish, closed my eyes as I put it in my mouth. What a surprise! I actually like it, it wasn’t like I thought. The fish was cooked and had a delicious flavor. I smiled as I dove in to get another piece. Carlos smiled, “I knew you would like it.”

Not only did I like it, I ordered it as my main course. I wonder if there were other Peruvian dished I might like. Normally I would shy away from new foods, but the ceviche was really good.

On the way back to the hotel, “Carlos, that fish dish was very good. What other types of native foods do you have that I may want to try?”

“We have a lot of similar dishes but prepared a little different. We have a dish called Taco Tacu which is pan fried rice and beans. We’ll try that tonight. I know of a small restaurant that makes the best. We also have chicken, beef and a native sausage that comes with fries. I think you’ll enjoy these special dishes. We have a dish called pachamanca which involves cooking a complete dinner in a hole in the ground. That is diffidently something you’ll need to try.”

Toby wasn’t so sure about that. The fish dish was one thing but food cooked in the ground was something else.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 11
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

29 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. A fantastic reunion for Toby and Carlos, they are destined to be together 

Yes, they seem to be on the same wavelength

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think you will be surprised how the natives of Peru did it. Not everyone has been to a clam bake, I have never. Even camping I can't think of cooking in the ground, camping I have cooked over a fire, or cooking  corn or potatoes in the coals. But in the ground, nope. The the only people who I am familiar with that actual roast pigs in the ground, are the Hawaiians

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, empresslovesreading said:

Toby never had food cooked in the ground? I'm surprised since camping is a time when people would do that. Clambakes and that kind of rot. 

In the ground? Maybe you are thinking on the ground.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, they are in for a great partnership,

Yes . they seemed to be thinking the same. Ahhh young love

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Toby and Carlos are awesome together.I was thinking to my self before I read this chapter something is different about this story and then I realized no mention of kick ass food well this chapter took care of that.

 

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Omg food cooked in the gorund is amazing!! I assume hes taking about digging a hole placing the food and wrapping it with banana or taro leaves and then covering with hot coals. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Toby and Carlos are awesome together.I was thinking to my self before I read this chapter something is different about this story and then I realized no mention of kiss ass food well this chapter took care of that.

 

You don't like "kiss ass" food. I used the opportunity to expose my readers to different foods from the countries I write about. They are different from foods normally found in the States. In most cases I have eaten these foods.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg food cooked in the gorund is amazing!! I assume hes taking about digging a hole placing the food and wrapping it with banana or taro leaves and then covering with hot coals. 

Not sure but I have had food cooked in Hawaii liked that. I agree that was good. I'll have to do a little research and see how they cook it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

You don't like "kiss ass" food.  

 oops I meant kick 🤭I fixed it and my streak of editing all my posts remains intact

  • Like 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

 oops I meant kick 🤭I fixed it and my streak of editing all my posts remains intact

That is okay. I thought it was humorous 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

When we cook food in the ground, it is called a 'hangi'.

I don't eat meat anymore, but it was so yum.

Hangi with seafood (especially raw fish, kina [sea urchin] and creamed paua [abalone]) and fried bread. OMFG! Talk about a foodgasm...

Then of course came dessert...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

Toby never had food cooked in the ground? I'm surprised since camping is a time when people would do that. Clambakes and that kind of rot. 

What's the opposite for cosmopolitan ? Yeah ! Toby is that .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, CLJobe said:

In the ground? Maybe you are thinking on the ground.

Nope. In. Well, technically it would be in the beach but same difference. I hate seafood but I know It's been done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Buz said:

When we cook food in the ground, it is called a 'hangi'.

I don't eat meat anymore, but it was so yum.

Hangi with seafood (especially raw fish, kina [sea urchin] and creamed paua [abalone]) and fried bread. OMFG! Talk about a foodgasm...

Then of course came dessert...

So enlighten me on how you all cooked in the ground. I am aware how they cook in the ground in Hawaii but I'm sure you do it differently, then maybe not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

Nope. In. Well, technically it would be in the beach but same difference. I hate seafood but I know It's been done.

I need to find out the way various cultures cook in the ground. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Tonyr said:

What's the opposite for cosmopolitan ? Yeah ! Toby is that .

😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, CLJobe said:

So enlighten me on how you all cooked in the ground. I am aware how they cook in the ground in Hawaii but I'm sure you do it differently, then maybe not.

Oh hell, okay. This is very basic okay. We are assuming a few things (e.g. the food has been prepared for cooking and is ready in the wire baskets, the pits have been dug (one for the fire/heating of the stones, one for the hangi/food), you've got the correct rocks (volcanic), you've got the correct wood, you know how to do the fire, you know how to lay your rocks in the hangi pit, you've got your wet sheet ready, you know how to layer the wet sacks (first one on is last one off and layered in way that no dirt gets on the food), you know how to cover the whole lot with dirt properly, etc)

So, very basically, you heat the rocks in one pit. Once hot enough, transfer them to the hangi pit, wet them a bit to create some steam, put the baskets of food on the hot rocks - meat first then veges on top, put the soaked sheet on top of the baskets, put the soaked sacks on top of the sheet, then put the dirt on top of the sacks. Et voila! It all gets steamed to perfection.

The whole process takes approx. 6 to 8 hours maybe. Is a lot of work for a lot of people. Also, whilst the hangi is the main food on the table, it is not the only food. All the sides (e.g. usually a variety of seafood, muttonbirds, fried and/or rewana bread, etc) and desserts as well.

There are "modern/quicker" ways to do it. But I don't think they taste the same. Plus usually a real hangi is for special occasions these days which means a big feast and hangin' with the whanau/family. The "modern/quicker" way is just if you want a feed.

Disclaimer - I am no hangi expert, at all. I helped with a hangi once and once was enough. I am useless at that stuff. I am better at doing dishes :)

 

Edited by Buz
  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Buz said:

Oh hell, okay. This is very basic okay. We are assuming a few things (e.g. the food has been prepared for cooking and is ready in the wire baskets, the pits have been dug (one for the fire/heating of the stones, one for the hangi/food), you've got the correct rocks (volcanic), you've got the correct wood, you know how to do the fire, you know how to lay your rocks in the hangi pit, you've got your wet sheet ready, you know how to layer the wet sacks (first one on is last one off and layered in way that no dirt gets on the food), you know how to cover the whole lot with dirt properly, etc)

So, very basically, you heat the rocks in one pit. Once hot enough, transfer them to the hangi pit, wet them a bit to create some steam, put the baskets of food on the hot rocks - meat first then veges on top, put the soaked sheet on top of the baskets, put the soaked sacks on top of the sheet, then put the dirt on top of the sacks. Et voila! It all gets steamed to perfection.

The whole process takes approx. 6 to 8 hours maybe. Is a lot of work for a lot of people. Also, whilst the hangi is the main food on the table, it is not the only food. All the sides (e.g. usually a variety of seafood, muttonbirds, fried and/or rewana bread, etc) and desserts as well.

There are "modern/quicker" ways to do it. But I don't think they taste the same. Plus usually a real hangi is for special occasions these days which means a big feast and hangin' with the whanau/family. The "modern/quicker" way is just if you want a feed.

Disclaimer - I am no hangi expert, at all. I helped with a hangi once and once was enough. I am useless at that stuff. I am better at doing dishes :)

 

Thanks, this is similar to what I saw in Hawaii. They uses wet leaves to create the steam. The basic concept must be the same, the differences is the preparation of the pit, the method of providing steam.  Thanks, I appreciate this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..