Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,060 Words
  • 1,373 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Christmas Miracle - 1. Chapter 1

“Sir, I have only 2 dollars. What can I buy to eat? I haven’t eaten for three days, and this is the last of my money.”

“Two dollars isn’t a lot of money. I’ll see what I have left over, and I’ll sell that to you for two dollars.” Going into the kitchen, the man put two chicken legs, some rolls, and an apple into a paper bag with some napkins. “Here are some leftovers; since I was going to throw this away, you can have it.”

The child couldn’t believe his good fortune. He had some food and still had his two dollars. “Thank you, Sir. I really appreciate this.”

The boy took the bag and headed to the park to eat his food. On his way, he saw an older man who looked like he was hungry as well. The boy looked into the bag and saw what the man at the diner had given him. “Are you hungry, sir?”

“Yes, I haven’t eaten for a long time.”

“I don’t have much, but I’ll share my food with you.”

The boy opens the bag and placed a chicken leg and a roll onto a napkin, handing it to the older man. They sat together on a bench in front of a closed store to eat their food. The older man thanked the boy and left him there to finish his food.

The next evening the boy and his two dollars were walking past the diner of the previous night. The same man came out and asked the boy if he wanted the leftovers. The boy nodded yes and followed the man into the diner. Like the previous night, the man gave the boy a paper bag with food and told him to keep his money. The boy thanked the man for the food and left the diner.

He hadn’t gotten far when he saw a small boy sitting on the ground, crying, “Why are you crying?”

“I’m hungry, and I haven’t eaten for two days. I have no money, and no one wants to give me any food.”

“I’ll share my food with you,” Opening the bag, he saw two hamburgers and a lot of french fries and an apple. He gave the boy the hamburger and put some of the fires on a napkin. The boy’s eyes couldn’t believe the quantity of food he was given. “How old are you?”

“I’m eight years old. I was with my parents and got lost. I’m not sure where they are. I thought if I sit here, they’ll come and find me.”

The boy handed him the apple, “For later if you’re hungry. If I see you tomorrow, I’ll share what food I have with you.” Saying goodbye, the boy headed to the park where he had a nest. He slept under one of the buildings, it was safe, and if you didn’t know how to crawl under the shed, you wouldn’t know if anyone was there. In the morning, he washed as best he could in the park toilet and then spent the day looking for work. Some days he could earn a dollar sweeping a store or helping unload a truck. That was some days, but not every day.

That evening as he passed the diner, the man came out and asked him if he wanted left over food. The boy followed the man into the diner. The man repeated his movements, went to the back, and returned with a paper bag. The boy thanked him, “You have been kind by giving me this food. Isn’t there something I can do, maybe sweep the floor or do the dishes? I appreciate the food, but if I can help, I would like to do it.”

“I’ll think about it, and maybe there are some odds and ends you can do. Stop here tomorrow night.”

The boy thanked the man and left. As he entered the park, he saw an older woman sitting on a bench. She had a ragged shawl around her shoulders, worn slippers on her feet, and the dress was filthy. “Would you like to share my food?”

“Yes, if I could. I haven’t eaten for a few days, and I’m hungry.”

The boy opened the bag, and there were two meatloaf sandwiches, with two potatoes and an apple. The boy handed one of the sandwiches to the older woman and one of the potatoes. As they sat there and ate, the older woman asked him what his name was and where he lived.

He told her his name was Toby, and he lived in the park. “This is very kind of you to share your food with me.”

The boy saw a tear run down the cheek of the old woman, “If you’re here tomorrow, I’ll share my food with you again.” Saying good night, Toby headed for his nest.

The next day, Toby went to the diner at the appointed hour. The man greeted him and told him if he’d wash the dishes, he’d give him some food. Toby followed the man into the kitchen and saw a table stacked high with dirty dishes, pots, and pans. The man showed Toby how to clean them and how to load the sanitizer. Toby thought he would never get done, but he set his mind to the job. He was surprised when he noticed that he was making a significant dent in the pile of dishes. When he was done, the man kept to his word and gave Toby a paper bag of food, “If you come back tomorrow, you can wash more dishes for food.”

Toby thanked the man and headed to his nest. As he entered the park expecting to see the older woman; instead, he saw a woman with two children. One of the children came to Toby, “Sir, do you have any food? We haven’t eaten for several days.”

Toby knew that he’d have food the next day, so he gave the child the bag of food. Smiling, he patted the child on the head and headed to his nest. Toby’s stomach growled a little that night, but Toby remembered when his stomach made a much louder growl.

The next morning after washing, he began to walk the city streets and noticed all of the decorations. Church bells were ringing, and store windows were decorated with animated toys. Toby had tears in his eyes as he remembered that today was Christmas. He knew there wouldn’t be any special presents for him or a Christmas dinner. Remembering what it was like when he lived at home, the tears began to flood his eyes and rolled down his cheeks. He turned around and went back to his nest and waited until the evening when he’d go to the diner.

Toby believed in God, but he felt abandoned. His parents abandoned him when they found out he was gay, his friends abandoned him when they found out, and his church abandoned him. He was alone in a world he didn’t understand. And now it was Christmas, and he felt more isolated than ever before.

He could faintly hear church bells, calling people to worship. He knew those bells weren’t for him. The church had said he was evil, and God hated him. Toby couldn’t understand why. He tried to be good and do good deeds, but that one thing that he could not change seemed to wipe all the good he did from the record.

That evening, Toby prepared to go to the diner. But when he got there, or at least where he thought it should be, there was no diner or building. It was an empty lot. Toby retraced his steps, and he knew he was at the right spot. He turned to walk back to this nest, fully confused. He met the older man with whom he had shared his chicken. “Good evening, Toby.”

Toby was surprised that the man knew his name. “Do you remember me?”

“Yes, I met you when I was leaving the diner with my food. I shared it with you.”

“Yes, you did. I was very hungry, and so were you. But you shared your food.”

As the man walked with Toby, Toby saw the little boy who was sitting in the dirt.

“Hello Toby, do you remember me?”

“Yes, you were hungry and crying. I shared my food with you.”

The child stood up and took Toby’s hand as they walked to the park.

“Hello Toby, do you remember me?”

Toby looked at the old woman, “Yes, you were sitting on that bench, and I shared my food with you.”

“Yes, you did. I knew you were hungry, just like I was, but you willingly shared your food. Several people passed me that day, and you were the only one who offered to share your food.”

It seemed there was a little parade going into the park: the older man, the little boy, and the older woman. But as Toby looked at them, they seemed to be a little different. He couldn’t tell exactly how they were different, just that they were. As Toby got closer to his nest, he saw the woman with the two children. The boy who asked for the food the night before, “Toby, you have no food tonight.”

“No, the diner wasn’t there. I knew it was supposed to be there, but it wasn’t there. So I wasn’t able to get any food. I’m sorry if you’re hungry. I have no food for you. I’m confused. I don’t know what’s happening.”

Toby sat down on the bench. Tears were running down his cheeks. He was sorry he didn’t have food to share and didn’t have any for himself.

“Why are you crying, my child?”

“I thought I had a job that would get me food. I have shared my food, and now that I haven’t any, my friends will have to go hungry.”

“Your friends won’t go hungry, and neither will you. I’m a wealthy man, and I have no one in my life. This old gentleman with who you shared your dinner works for me. The little boy is my gardener’s son. The older woman also works for me as my cook. The young lady and her two children are the gardener’s family. We have been looking for someone to come and live with me. For the past six months, we have been on the street, looking for a kind person who was willing to share their meager food. When Albert came back and told me that you shared your food, I sent the boy, and he confirmed that you shared your food, and then the older woman and the gardener’s family further confirmed your generosity. I knew I found what I was seeking, someone with a big heart and a good conscience.”

“But the diner, I know it was there, and now it’s gone. Was that a dream?”

“No, it was there. But last night I moved it. You had no idea how many people came into the diner asking for food. And just like you, we gave them a bag of food. But of all the people, you were the only one who came back asking for work to help pay for your food. The purpose of the diner was no longer needed.”

As I lifted my head and looked at the people, the older man wasn’t so old, his beard and wrinkles were gone, his hair was now black, and his clothes didn’t have any tears in them. He had a pair of nice shoes on. I was puzzled. Then the young boy had on a clean T-shirt and jeans with sneakers, and his face was clean. The older woman had on a nice dress, her hair was combed, she had on some light makeup, and she had a pair of leather shoes. I was getting totally confused. The young lady with the two children walked up to me, and I didn’t recognize them until the little boy came and took my hand.

“Toby, you’re going to come home with us. You won’t have to share your food any longer.”

Just then, this large car stopped at the entrance to the park, “Come on, Toby, let’s go home.”

Merry Christmas, miracles do happen, if you believe.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter and story, a really feel good story

We need those stories once in a while to restore our faith in human beings.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A true Christmas Story. "His parents abandoned him when they found out he was gay, his friends abandoned him when they found out, and his church abandoned him." How can one not be angry at the ones who have responsibility to love yet forsake? Broke my heart while reading what Toby was enduring. Even when he had nothing, he had more than his "parents" "friends" or "church" he had unending love and compassion for others!

 Monsters Inc Hug GIF

Edited by Chris L
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Chris L said:

A true Christmas Story. "His parents abandoned him when they found out he was gay, his friends abandoned him when they found out, and his church abandoned him." How can one not be angry at the ones who have responsibility to love yet forsake? Broke my heart while reading what Toby was enduring. Even when he had nothing, he had more than his "parents" "friends" or "church" he had unending love and compassion for others!

 Monsters Inc Hug GIF

Yes, he was wrapped in love in the end

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very nice story.A couple of questions You never gave an age for Toby so I'm guessing13-16.I think you may have left out a sentence when Toby was crying on the park bench  then hears "Why are you crying,my child?" At first you did not identify the man was he the guy who was running the diner? I thought the use of the old man, the boy etc reminded me of ghost of Christmas past, present etc. very good.Thank you

  • Like 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Very nice story.A couple of questions You never gave an age for Toby so I'm guessing13-16.I think you may have left out a sentence when Toby was crying on the park bench  then hears "Why are you crying,my child?" At first you did not identify the man was he the guy who was running the diner? I thought the use of the old man, the boy etc reminded me of ghost of Christmas past, present etc. very good.Thank you

You are welcome 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

When I reached the paragraph where Toby went back to the diner but it was gone, so he walked back to his hiding place under the shack in the park, I started to worry about where the story was headed.

As Toby passed the people he had helped, (on the way to his 'nighttime nest'), and they 'changed' appearance I grew more concerned about the direction the story seemed to be taking.

When the little boy Toby has fed said to him, “Toby, you’re going to come home with us. You won’t have to share your food any longer”, my dread was that Toby had died in his sleep and these people he fed, were angels taking him 'home'. 

Thank you for not taking that route. It would have been harder to take. 

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

When I reached the paragraph where Toby went back to the diner but it was gone, so he walked back to his hiding place under the shack in the park, I started to worry about where the story was headed.

As Toby passed the people he had helped, (on the way to his 'nighttime nest'), and they 'changed' appearance I grew more concerned about the direction the story seemed to be taking.

When the little boy Toby has fed said to him, “Toby, you’re going to come home with us. You won’t have to share your food any longer”, my dread was that Toby had died in his sleep and these people he fed, were angels taking him 'home'. 

Thank you for not taking that route. It would have been harder to take. 

 

I agree, it would be harder to take that route. I liked this story, if an author could like his own story, because it showed that not all street boys are ruffians, or ignorant, and don't have manners or appreciate what help they can get. It's my opinion, that if someone helped a street boy, they would have a friend for life who would be willing to give their life for yours. In my travels, every boy I helped showed a level of appreciation that was beyond my expectations.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 12/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

When I reached the paragraph where Toby went back to the diner but it was gone, so he walked back to his hiding place under the shack in the park, I started to worry about where the story was headed.

As Toby passed the people he had helped, (on the way to his 'nighttime nest'), and they 'changed' appearance I grew more concerned about the direction the story seemed to be taking.

When the little boy Toby has fed said to him, “Toby, you’re going to come home with us. You won’t have to share your food any longer”, my dread was that Toby had died in his sleep and these people he fed, were angels taking him 'home'. 

Thank you for not taking that route. It would have been harder to take. 

 

I was having the very same thoughts of that Toby had died during the night and the angels were taking him to heaven.

Very touching story!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..