Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,101 Words
  • 943 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

David C. McLavic - 2. Chapter 2

When Mary Lou graduated from high school, Mom decided she wanted to see her sister who lived in Pennsylvania. Dad said Mom wanted to enroll Mary Lou in the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, her alma mater.

Dad got the car serviced, Uncle Joe would take care of the house while we were gone.

Early Monday morning, Mom woke us at 6 in the morning. We had packed the night before. Beth Ann ended up packing twice, Mom had to check everything, and Dad had a rack on the top of the car. Mary Lou’s trunk was lifted and tied in place. I asked Dad why all of her clothes. That was when I learned why we were going East.

Mom wanted to leave by 7 in the morning, we left at 8. Mom had to clean the morning dishes and drop off her contact information at the Medical Center. She had to tell them about going East, seeing her sister, and enrolling Mary Lou at Penn State, her alma mater. Dad finally went and got her. It was 8 in the morning when we left. I rode up front with Dad. Mom and the girls rode in the back.

We drove for 4 hours when Mom said we should start looking for a place to have lunch. I could tell Dad was getting a little upset. I think he took road around cities so he wouldn’t have to stop.

“David, there is a diner lust ahead stop there.” I checked my watch, it was one o’clock. Dad pulled into the parking lot, and Mom and the girls got out. Dad yelled to order for us he was going to get gas. I knew Dad was getting a little angry.

Driving back to the diner, Mom wanted to know what took us so long. I checked my watch, we were\ gone 30 minutes. Lunch over, the girls had to use the restroom. Dad was mumbling to himself.

Back in the car, lunch lasted 2 hours. Back on the road, Dad drove faster than he had before when we left home. At 6 pm. Mom told Dad to look for a place to spend the night. It was 8 when Dad pulled into a motel. He reserved two rooms, the girls in one, Dad and I in the other room.

Six o’clock came early, so I thought. Dad got dressed and said he would be right back. Thirty minutes later, Dad arrived with milk for me and coffee for him. “There is breakfast for you in the car.”

Dad went to get Mom and the girls, I ate a pancake with jelly on it in the car. I watched as Mom was saying something to Dad and she wasn’t happy. That is when I realized Mom wasn’t in a hurry to see her sister or enroll Mary Lou.

The back seats were very quiet. Once in a while, I would hear a gasp and maybe a huff. Dad pulled into a restaurant at 1:30 for lunch. Mom got out with the girls, Dad said he was going for gas. As it turned out, not only did he get gas and have his oil checked, but he got two hot dogs, a carton of milk for me, and a coffee for him. I don’t know if it was not having the girls with us but that was the best lunch I ever had. Returning to the restaurant, we walked in and Mom and the girls were finishing their salads. Dad had coffee and I had milk. Mom got up and headed to the bathroom with the girls. The waitress brought the check, and Dad took it and paid. He left and I followed him to the car. Then we waited.

We must have waited at least a half hour before we saw Mom and the girls coming out of the restaurant. They got in the back, Mom slammed the door shut. Dad put the car in gear and drove away. Nothing said.

As Dad drove we would hear a humpf from the back seat. Mom was expecting an apology but I knew Dad wasn’t going to say anything.

At 8 pm, Dad pulled into a hotel. He got out, and registered for two rooms. He handed Mom a key, “Dinner is served until 9.” I watched Mom and the girls get out of the car and entered the hotel. Dad and I went for gas.

When we returned, the dining room was closed. “Are you hungry?”I shook my head no. Dad left and returned about 29 minutes later with a hotdog and a cartoon of milk for me. He had a coffee.

In the morning, the dining room was open. Mom and the girls were eating when we entered. Dad looked at Mom and the girls, “Come on, let’s have breakfast.” Dad ordered for both of us, pancakes and sausages. Dad had coffee I had milk.

Back in the car, Mom was in a better mood. She started telling us about her sister and the farm. Dad stopped for lunch, then we were in Virginia when Mom said to drive until we found a motel or hotel, in Ohio. Da,d, smiled and he drove faster,

We stopped in Columbus, Ohio for the night. I wasn’t hungry, I was tired. I fell asleep with my clothes on. When I woke up, I had a blanket on, and Dad was getting dressed.

“Hurry and get a shower. We’ll have breakfast here and lunch in Pennsylvania.” I think I was still a little sleepy when Dad stopped me and helped me to get undressed. I got in the shower when all at once I got a cold shower. That woke me up and Dad was laughing.

Dressed we went for breakfast. Mom said she called her sister and she can’t wait to see her. After breakfast, Mom rode up front and I rode in the back.

Four hours later, we crossed into Pennsylvania, Mom said we still had a way to go, and Dad turned off the main highway onto a double-lane road. Then he turned onto a dirt road and finally, Mom recognized the sign leading to the farm. From the time we entered Pennsylvania, it took us three hours to get to this turn-off for the farm. I expected a short trip to the farmhouse but it took us about 30 minutes before we saw the house. Dad stopped the car, there was a boy on the porch and when he saw the car stop, he yelled, “They are here."

hr />

Copyright © 2023 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

19 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thanks @CLJobe for the 🎄day 🎁 chapter.

Wow, talk about the road trip from 'he 2 hockey sticks',  (waiting for some to figure that reference out :whistle:).

I remember trips like that in the 70's, with Dad trying to avoid rest stops and make time, while Mom wanted to stop at every one that had a restaurant or gift shop in addition to gas and restrooms (WC or loo for those across the pond).

This story :read: is getting more interesting. 🫂

It should have been a little obvious that road trips with family were tolerated by many people, including me. 

I hope you had a happy holiday and may the New Year bring you prosperity and good health.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
15 hours ago, akascrubber said:

What an unpleasant, too long seeming drive.  Too much passive aggressive behavior, I say, David kept his head down and remained quiet. At least he figured out why his mother was delaying the trip. His father who is the college professor appears clueless as to his wife's motivation. 

It could be another long and silent car ride back, if things do not change..

Let us see how they all act and converse at the farm of David's aunt.

Mom wanted a leisure drive, Dad wanted to get there. Two different objectives and no consensus. Want to bet Dad returns home alone

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

To those wondering (or contacted me) about what is happening with @CLJobe and this story, I am aware as of earlier this week that Cal has been having some technical difficulties with his i-phone and other 'devices' (MacBook again?) for the past month. Otherwise he is "fine but frustrated".

Here's hoping he finds a fix (newer equipment from an Angel? That's me suggesting, not him asking) and is able to reconnect. 🫰

🫂

 

  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
On 1/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

To those wondering (or contacted me) about what is happening with @CLJobe and this story, I am aware as of earlier this week that Cal has been having some technical difficulties with his i-phone and other 'devices' (MacBook again?) for the past month. Otherwise he is "fine but frustrated".

Here's hoping he finds a fix (newer equipment from an Angel? That's me suggesting, not him asking) and is able to reconnect. 🫰

🫂

 

I was going to post saying I hope he is  OK but your comment cleared that up . Thanks for telling us ❤️

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, weinerdog said:

Perhaps it was because Mary Lou was leaving the nest but other then that factor it looks like the Mom and Dad are on shaky ground with each other. Also the girls and the guys doing everything separate seemed odd.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours @CLJobe and to all the readers

You are very perceptive

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..