Jump to content
    cognac69
  • Author
  • 2,023 Words
  • 1,162 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Life - As It Was - 2. Chapter 2

This only The start of Chris' first day in the care of the local authority and nobody knows what it will bring.
There are no warnings for this chapter, but remember we still have a scared little boy.........

Note - I remember this day well, some parts as if it were yesterday, other parts are a bit more vague. Hey some I don't remember, you will soon find out why, my Hero had to fill in for me. But the memories are still there. This was a hard time for me so it takes a bit longer to tell. Thanks for still being with me,

Chris.

When I woke up it was light outside. The sun was shining through a crack in the curtains. I felt an arm over my side and a hand firmly pressed on my chest. It remember it felt warm and good. As I glanced about the room I remember thinking, where am I.

Then it hit me. I wasn't at home or the hospital. I was at Jack and Maggie's in Carls bed and last night I'd pushed him over and screamed at him after I wet the bed. I quickly checked that I and the bed was dry. I was scared that I might have done it again. But I hadn't. That's good. I remember them saying last night that they wouldn't hit me but I didn't believe them. I always got hit and shouted at. I shuddered thinking about it and the hand moved. It had to be Carls hand, I was in his bed.

I then started to get out of bed to go sit in the corner. I was hoping that they would come and tell us that we could get up as I really needed the toilet. I was never allowed to leave my room until I was told.

That was when Carl spoke “Where are you going”.

To sit down until I'm allowed out to leave the room. That's what I have to do. I just hope we don't have to wait too long I really need to go to the toilet” I told him.

What! we don't have to wait, if we need to go we go” he said as he went to the bedroom door.

Please Carl don't” I pleaded “I don't want to get into more trouble after what happened last night”. But no he didn't wait. He opened the door and went out. I know I was worried about what would happen, I hadn't been punished for what happened last night. Next thing I heard was he flushed the toilet, and then footsteps coming up the stairs. I just braced myself ready for the onslaught, the rules had been broken.

I was ready for it when Carl came back into the bedroom followed by Maggie. I always got into trouble when the rules got broken even when it wasn't my fault. The others always blamed me at home and nobody ever listened to me so I knew it wouldn't be any different here. Lets face it he was their son and I was just some boy that they had to look after.

Chris honey what's the matter?” Maggie asked.

Before I got a chance to say anything Carl started speaking and I got ready to be hit. “Mom he says that he's not allowed out of the bedroom until he's told please tell him it's ok he needs the toilet quick Mom please tell him please please please quickly”. I don't think he took a single breath and was getting frantic. I don't know who was more anxious, him or me.

Chris if you need to go, just go you don't need permission. When your done in the bathroom come down stairs for breakfast”. Maggie was smiling at me and then left to go back down stairs.

What! I couldn't believe it, she didn't hit me, or shout even. I got up and bolted for the door making it to the bathroom just in time. When I came out Carl was waiting for me and said “Come on let's go get breakfast” then he dashed down the stairs. I followed slowly, wondering what we were having while my stomach was grumbling. I was hoping I could two slices of toast instead of the usual one.

I went into the kitchen and was told to sit at the table. Well this was different, I usually had to stand at home. Then Maggie put a glass of milk on the table so I pushed it over to Carl, it had to be his and I waited for my glass of water.

Honey what are you doing, that's for you, Carl has his already” Maggie said as she put it back in front of me. Then she placed two bowls of cereal on the table followed by a plate full of toast. Then we were told to get stuck in.

As I reached for a slice of toast I was told “eat your cereal first”. My mind went into overdrive thinking 'what cereal and toast this is good I could get used to this but I better not'. Things like that aren'y normal, are they?

Jack came in and sat at the table with us and I got nervous trying to guzzle my milk. “Calm down lad, take your time. Eat your cereal first then have toast with nice soft boiled runny eggs, Maggie makes the best and if you want more milk just ask”. Then he winked at me, when I looked across the table to Carl he was smiling at me.

I just sat there. I couldn't take it all in and the tears just started falling. I felt like a baby and ran upstairs to the bedroom and curled up trying to hide in a corner. Jack followed me into the bedroom, walked over and looked down on me. Then he did something that to me was really strange, he reached down, took my hand and pulled me up into his lap. Then he wrapped his arms around me and started comfort and rock me like baby.

When I'd calmed down some I heard his voice in my ear, quiet and easy “Chris can you tell me why your so upset this morning. I know why you was so upset last night but the day has only just begun and there haven't been any accidents. Come on son tell me”.

'Son, son, did he just call me son? I'm not his son Carl is. I'm just the boy he has to look after.'

When I didn't answer he said “come on tell me what's wrong. I can't put it right if I don't know what's wrong”.

I peered into his eyes, they looked soft and somehow friendly 'can I trust him' I thought to myself, 'no this can't be happening'. But the more I looked the more I felt good, so I asked him “why did you call me son?”

I didn't have to wait long for an answer, he straight away replied “because while your living here with us we will treat you and look after you the same as Carl. That means that for the time being at least you are our son. Now will you tell me why your so upset”.

I carried on looking up at him and couldn't stop myself “I just couldn't believe it when you said that we were having all that for breakfast, cereal, toast, eggs and a glass of milk. I don't usually have all that. I'm not allowed to”. I kept on staring at him as his face changed to a puzzled sort of look as I carried on with my diatribe “at home all I'm allowed is a glass of water and one slice of toast, maybe two if there's enough left after everyone else has finished”.

What he said next just completely floored me “That's not the way in this house Chris. You will eat the same food as we have and if your still hungry just tell us and you can have more, ok? And yes you get punished if your naughty, but you will not be hit.” I just nodded “now let's go back down stairs and eat breakfast. We have a big day ahead of us there's a lot going on.”

Jack took me by the hand and led me back to the kitchen then helped me sit down at the table. Breakfast was great, I'd never eaten so much in the morning and I was bloated. After I finished eating I stayed put and watched everyone else eating. I couldn't believe it they hadn't finished and were eating more than me. Carl ate twice as much as me and he wasn't any bigger than me, well not taller anyway but he was better built than me, which wasn't difficult I was thin as a rake.

Unknown to me Maggie must have spoken to Carl while Jack was talking to me up stairs because when he finished eating he looked at me saying “come on we need to get washed dressed then we can go play.”

So upstairs we went to get washed. I was given a new toothbrush, after cleaning our teeth it was back to the bedroom. Carl took off his pyjamas to get dressed and I sat on his bed. There was no point in me undressing. All I had was the pyjamas I left the hospital in and they were wet and waiting to be washed, I was wearing some of Carls pyjamas.

Come on slow coach, you need to get out of them so you can get dressed. Now come and pick something to wear, I'm sharing my clothes with you till Mum and Dad get you some new clothes. Here start with these, they're new I haven't worn them”. Then he threw a pack of briefs at me.

I got up and went over to the draws with his clothes in. Nervously I picked out the oldest stuff I could find and put them on. I felt better for having proper clothes on, they were a bit loose and worn but otherwise they fit. Maggie came in to check on us and put a belt on me to keep the jeans I'd picked from falling down.

When Maggie was happy that we were done we got sent out into the garden to play. Carl had a wooden playhouse that his Dad had built. It had plenty of use that day as we became friends and played 'cops and robbers' first using it as the bank I was robbing, then the police station and cell that I ended up in when I got caught. Then it was a ship when we played 'pirates'. I had fun and enjoyed myself, but I was still very wary just waiting for the other boot to come down.

It all came to an end when we got called in, there were two ladies there from the Children's Welfare Department. They wanted to talk with me and the family that I had been placed with.

I don't know what had been going on but when we got in the living room Jack and Maggie didn't look happy. I just heard this lady I hadn't met before saying to the other one “Joan I know you placed Chris yesterday as an emergency. But the Department has now given his case to me as his permanent case worker. Just leave things alone and let me make the decisions”.

I didn't like the sound of that. Carl and I looked at each other and without saying anything we both ran upstairs and locked the door behind us, we stood facing each other and I started to cry.

They're going to take me away and I don't want to go, your Mum and Dad are nice and your my friend now” I cried.

Carl got a very determined look on his face and said “They're not taking you anywhere I won't let them and neither will Mum and Dad when I ask them to keep you. I want you as my friend”. Then he started to cry and gripped me in his arms.I didn't know what to do or how to react.

Then we heard loud voices and foot steps on the stairs.

Thanks for still being with me on this story, and I'm sorry if it seems a bit drawn out, but as Chris has told us somethings take longer to tell.
I thought the little cliff hanger would be good place for break, after-all it is big bay for Chris full of emotional upheaval.

Thanks for the positive reactions and feedback it's appreciated and it all helps.
Chas.
Copyright © 2018 cognac69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fine chapter. I'm liking the interaction between Chris and Carl. The new lady caseworker sounds like she may be trouble.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

There are some bittersweet moments floating about the chapter. I was genuinely touched by the boys reaction of breakfast. I suppose, if he had been treated badly for god knows how long, the sudden overwhelming eruption of colour and merry glee is frighting to Chris. The overall premise of the current story reminds me of the book called, “a child called it,” by David Pelzer. Plus the other two remaining books which talk of the mans later life. The fact that Chris has made a friend in Carl is heartwarming, and understand that Carl has taken to his new friend quite quickly almost feels like the main character can finally breathe. 

 

On another note, perhaps with more gripping scene, switch from the telling progressive, to showing. Instead of telling the audience that the condensation fogged up the window. If it has any relevance to the story, show it. Use the five senses for reference. One thing I can imagine is that the boys could have began to shake when the bedrrom

door was closed. When they slammed the door, did the hard clap richoct throughoutnthe walls of the house. 

 

Great work, I look forward to more :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..