Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 17. Prompt #413 Cyr

It's been a long time since I did a prompt so be gentle. However, I do think I followed the situation to the letter.

Cyr

Prompt 413 – The Death

You were hired to do make up on a new science fiction show. You went in to do the makeup on the star only to find him dead on his couch, wearing only his robe. What do you do?

“Jenny, where’s my eye liner?”

“Right where you left it in the bathroom,” she called back from the kitchen table. Jenny Cavanaugh was reading the style section of the newspaper and drinking her morning coffee. She returned to reading the story about Taylor Swift’s new tattoo and how it was trending internationally.

“It’s not here,” her brother yelled from the other room. “Where did you see it last?”

Jenny snorted and looked up from the article. She still couldn’t imagine why people would get a tattoo because a celebrity did. But, the world was filled with people who desperately wanted to fit in and be fashionable. “It’s on the second shelf in the medicine cabinet. Why are you getting so dressed up?”

“Found it,” he hollered back.

Jenny folded the paper back up and sighed. She didn’t know what to do today. Should she start looking for a job or should she call her therapist? It had been a couple of days so perhaps Dr. Randall was her best bet. However, the money wasn’t going to last forever. In time she’d need to start earning some kind of income.

“Okay, how do I look?” her brother asked making a grand entrance into the kitchen. He was wearing a long white linen coat with an enormous blue flower on the lapel. Underneath it were a peach colored blouse and some voluminous green pleated pants. The overall effect was that of a large tent billowing in the wind. “Do you like?”

“Why are you wearing such big clothes?” Jenny asked, her eyes scanning his doughy face.

“I want to look my best for my favorite star. Is it too much?” he asked, pausing in his twirl to gauge her reaction. “I’m so excited for this job.”

Jenny took in her brother’s carefully painted and powdered face and smiled. “You look amazing as always. Go get ‘em, sweetie,” she said, beaming.

“Thanks!” Cyril Sawyer said as he pranced out of the room. “I’ll be back in twelve.”

“Have a great day,” Jenny called after him. She really should stop sponging off of him and get a job.

*****

“Let me show you to his dressing room,” Todd, the assistant director, said. I was trying not to drool on his luscious caramel skin and magnificent derrier. “It’s down this hall and third door on the left. It’s across the hall from, well, you’ll find it.”

I held my makeup case so tightly I could feel my pulse in my wrist. This was so exciting. I’d never had a job on an actual movie set. Sure, it was a SyFy channel movie and therefore outrageous and silly, but a movie nonetheless. Besides, science and fantasy fiction movies were the perfect canvas for an artist like me. I could finally hone my craft of creating monsters and heroes out of ordinary human beings. Well, maybe they were extraordinary human beings since they were actors, but still the idea was sound.

I paused before the dressing room door and lifted my hand making a fist. I hesitated and worried I would interrupt him reading lines or something. “This is stupid,” I said to the plastic gold star with his name on it. “Your job is to apply makeup for his scene.”

Now I realized a person walking by with an armful of towels had heard me talking to myself. “Hi,” I said to her. She grinned and smirked as I finally gathered up the courage to knock.

I stood there waiting and there was no response. I knocked again, this time a little louder. Another person walked by me, chuckling. “What?” I said turning to him.

“Just go in. He’s probably got headphones on or something. We do it all the time,” the man with a handful of bagged clothes on hangers said. “Don’t be shy. If you’re lucky he’ll be naked as a jaybird.”

I blushed and scowled at him. He snorted and continued down the hallway. Steeling myself, I reached out and grasped the door knob. I turned it and leaned forward poking my head inside. “Hello? Mr. Sawyer, are you ready for me?”

The room was quite dim. The overhead lights weren’t on but a side table lamp and the lights at the dresser were. To some degree, it illuminated a large, bulky lump lying on the sofa against the far wall. I walked into the room. “Mr. Sawyer? Is that you?”

The bulky mass didn’t move. Obviously he was sleeping. “Mr. Sawyer? I’m here to do your makeup. They’ll need you on the set in thirty minutes.”

The man wasn’t responding and as I got closer, I saw shoulder was splotched with something. It also smelled weird in the room, something I was not entirely familiar with. “Cyril, you need to wake up,” I said, touching his shoulder. It was only a light amount of pressure, but he flopped towards me. I jumped as I saw him more clearly. His face looked calm but I knew what I had smelled. It was blood. His long white robe was drenched in it. A wilted blue flower was pinned to the lapel. It too was red and sticky too.

I didn’t know what to do at first. It isn’t every day you walk in on a dead body. It’s even rarer to walk in on a science fiction television star like Cyril Sawyer lying bloodied and lifeless on his dressing room couch.

My next reaction wasn’t very original or manly. It was, however, entirely natural. I screamed and dropped my makeup case. I kept screaming until somebody started shaking me.

Then I fainted in a puddle of my own urine.

I hope you enjoyed my little scenario. As soon as I saw the Death tag, I couldn't resist. Thanks for reading!!!
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I'm confused...so the guy on the couch was the makeup guy? I have to admit, I'd probably have the same reaction if I walked in and found a dead body. *shudder*

Link to comment
On 05/03/2015 09:12 AM, Valkyrie said:
I'm confused...so the guy on the couch was the makeup guy? I have to admit, I'd probably have the same reaction if I walked in and found a dead body. *shudder*
No, the guy on the couch was the TV star, the one we are introduced to at his home with his sister. I'm the makeup guy who finds Cyril Sawyer dead. Thanks Val and sorry it was confusing! :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..