Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 8. Prompt 344 - The Truck

Don't you just hate it when your vehicle breaks down?

Prompt 344 – The Truck

“Why didn’t you just tell me that?”

Justin was silent for a minute. “I didn’t want to bother you. It’s been a rough couple of weeks.”

“Now I’ve got to replace the whole damn thing,” Chad groused. “If you’d told me the light was on, I’d have fixed this one little thing but now we’ve got to replace the battery too.”

The seventeen year old didn’t respond. His world had been upended and his father’s foul mood wasn’t making it much better.

“Hand me that wrench, the one I just set down,” Chad grumped, his head deep under the hood.

“I’m sorry dad,” Justin said picking up the tool and handing it to him. “Can we talk about this?”

“Hmm,” his father responded. “I don’t want to think about it.”

Justin paused. He knew this conversation needed to happen. It was out there, in the open, and his dad refused to acknowledge the repercussions of what had occurred. “Dad, we need to talk about it. I know you’re upset.”

“I’m fine,” Chad said, his voice muffled by the truck’s internal parts. It was funny, in a strange way.

“I joined the GSA,” Justin announced. It felt like he’d just pronounced judgment on someone. “They’re helping me cope.”

Chad pulled his head out from under the hood so fast, he hit his head on the bar holding it up. “What? What happened? You joined the Girl Scouts of America?”

“No dad,” Justin smiled warily. “I joined the Gay/Straight Alliance. They’re helping. I mean, it’s helping me deal with things.”

Chad scowled and brushed a fly away leaving an inky splash of oil on his cheek. “Are they giving you trouble? I, um, the other kids?”

“A little bit. Mostly it’s to help me figure things out. A lot has happened and I’m trying to understand everything,” Justin said.

“So everyone knows now. The queer is front page news,” Chad said, his voice husky with tired despair.

“Dad, it’s not that bad,” Justin said laying a hand on his father’s shoulder.

“That’s not what your mom thinks,” Chad said. He grabbed another wrench and a rag and dove back under the hood. Justin knew it was his father’s way to hide his tears. There had been plenty of those over the past two weeks, ever since That Night.

“Mom is going to get over it. She needs some time,” Justin said. “Dad, it’s going to be okay.”

“No,” Chad said, voice thick with emotion. “It’s not.”

“Dad, look at me. We’ve got to talk about this,” Justin said trying to mask the whine he felt developing in his head. He succeeded, mostly.

“What is there to discuss?” Chad said looking at his son. There was nothing but fear etched on his face. Justin wanted to hug him but it was obvious he couldn’t handle that right now.

“I love you, you know that right?” Justin said. Chad nodded slowly in response.

“I’m supposed to make your life easier not harder,” the greasy man said, voice cracking. “A father should be an example and a guide in life. He shouldn’t force his son to join some group to protect him from insults.”

“It hasn’t been that bad,” Justin rolled his eyes. “Mostly kids just look the other way and whisper some. It’s not your fault.”

“It is,” Chad said ducking back under the hood of the truck. “It’s all my fault.”

“Dad, you can’t help how you feel,” Justin said pulling on his father’s arm. “Do you love him?”

Chad tried to tug away from the boy, his son, who was obviously trying to cope with his fucking problems, his bad decisions.

“No. I don’t think so. It was something I had to get outta me,” Chad said pulling his face from the hidden shadows of the truck’s hood. He looked his son, a striking version of himself at a younger age but with his mother’s frown.

“Being gay isn’t something you can get outta your system,” Justin said shaking his head. “Even I know that.”

Chad considered his son’s words. He was right, of course. These feelings had invaded his mind and body all his life. Pushing them aside hadn’t worked. Pretending wasn’t the answer. His final solution had been to put it into practice and now his seventeen year old son was paying the price. Not just his son, his ex-wife, his friends, the whole family was now dealing with his fuck up.

“I don’t know what to do,” Chad said finally. His voice was hollow, lost, devoid of feeling because his insides were using up all that emotion.

Justin nodded and gave him a smile. “You need to figure it out dad. You deserve to be happy too and you haven’t been for quite some time.”

Chad nodded in sadness. His eyes were downcast and he didn’t trust his voice. Talking about this was the last thing he wanted to do.

“How did you get so smart when I’m so messed up?” he uttered finally. Chad wiped his hands with the oily rag and looked Justin square in the face. “I’m sorry.”

“Dad, it’s not that bad. Lots of people have this situation. Kendra’s got two dads and Terra’s mom is dating a woman. I’m not alone,” Justin said with a grin.

“I don’t know how to be gay,” Chad said. “It’s strange because I have these feelings but I don’t know how to act on them. Being gay just isn’t me, it’s not who I am.”

“You have to figure out things I guess,” Justin said. “Move to the Twin Cities and find out what’s inside you. I’ll be fine.”

“I can’t leave you here to deal with my shit,” Chad said but inside a little voice was screaming that leaving was the answer. Council Bluffs wasn’t the place to discover what these feelings, these urges meant to him. He’d managed to hide and mask them here. This world wasn’t the place to explore what made him happy.

“I’m starting my senior year this fall. I’m fine. You aren’t. I need my dad to be whole now. Do this for me,” Justin said stepping forward. He hugged his dad and could feel as Chad’s reserve slipped away. In his arms, the big man shook as all the tremendous fear, doubt, and relief came pouring out. Justin realized how much this meant to him.

“Are you sure?” Chad said pulling away. “I could stay and…”

“I’m all good. Dad, I want you to accept yourself. That’s the gift I want most from you when I graduate next spring. I want a father who is happy to be who he is.”

Chad pulled away and wiped his nose. He cleared his throat but there was nothing more to say. Not about that.

“Let’s finish up with this truck. Ride with me and I’ll get a new alternator and battery. The truck will be as good as new,” Chad said and then stopped. “If you don’t mind being seen with me?”

“I’m not ashamed of you. You’re the best,” Justin said with relief. “I’m proud of you, especially now.”

Use the first line "Why didn't you just tell me that?"
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

After the spider discussion last night I was expecting there to be some arachnophobia! :P I liked the role reversal with the son comforting the father. I really felt Chad's angst and I hope he's able to come to terms with himself and accept his feelings. Great prompt. :)

Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 01:27 AM, Valkyrie said:
After the spider discussion last night I was expecting there to be some arachnophobia! :P I liked the role reversal with the son comforting the father. I really felt Chad's angst and I hope he's able to come to terms with himself and accept his feelings. Great prompt. :)
Thanks Valkyrie! The spider prompt will be coming soon. This story was tickling my brain and the conversation while fixing Justin's truck was the perfect forum for it. I'm glad you enjoyed the vignette.
Link to comment

Kids today are much more forward thinking and if they're not informed on this topic, at least information is accessible. It didn't used to be. A former neighbor went through this many years ago and it took a long time for his son to come to terms with it. They have a great relationship now.

 

Your use of the GSA in the story was wisely included. But you've also given us the sense that the relationship between father and son was a good one to begin with. Without that, this story would have taken a different turn, I'm thinking. Still, there is the wife; I'm not insensitive to that but it isn't the focus of this story. You've done good, Cole.

Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 07:19 AM, Ron said:
Kids today are much more forward thinking and if they're not informed on this topic, at least information is accessible. It didn't used to be. A former neighbor went through this many years ago and it took a long time for his son to come to terms with it. They have a great relationship now.

 

Your use of the GSA in the story was wisely included. But you've also given us the sense that the relationship between father and son was a good one to begin with. Without that, this story would have taken a different turn, I'm thinking. Still, there is the wife; I'm not insensitive to that but it isn't the focus of this story. You've done good, Cole.

Thanks Ron! Justin does have a good relationship with his dad. Thats an important support because Chad is going to need it. This story will continue on. Cole's magic eightball shows he's going on a trip soon. It will be life changing for Chad. Im glad you enjoyed it!
Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 09:30 AM, Irritable1 said:
Awwww :wub: Just when I think I can't take any more sappiness...
Haha! Thanks Irritable1! I hope it was enjoyable as well. :)
Link to comment

I enjoyed this prompt, I like that it was the son comforting his dad, that was so sweet :)

 

PS: "You joined the Girl Scouts of America?” was a very funny line :lol:

Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 08:17 PM, Slytherin said:
I enjoyed this prompt, I like that it was the son comforting his dad, that was so sweet :)

 

PS: "You joined the Girl Scouts of America?” was a very funny line :lol:

Thanks LBO! I thought that was kinda silly and fun, the GSA line. Glad you liked it!
Link to comment

I don't usually read prompts (don't know why, actually), but you had the link to this prompt in your new story, so I read it.

 

I'm glad I did b/c now I have a better understanding of Chad and Justin. Justin is wonderful; he's so supportive and understanding. He joined the Girl Scouts of America, err, the Gay-Straight Alliance, just to help himself help his dad. That's special.

 

I did find that GSA line hysterical, btw. :P

 

Ok, on to your new story. :)

Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 04:23 AM, Lisa said:
I don't usually read prompts (don't know why, actually), but you had the link to this prompt in your new story, so I read it.

 

I'm glad I did b/c now I have a better understanding of Chad and Justin. Justin is wonderful; he's so supportive and understanding. He joined the Girl Scouts of America, err, the Gay-Straight Alliance, just to help himself help his dad. That's special.

 

I did find that GSA line hysterical, btw. :P

 

Ok, on to your new story. :)

Thanks Lisa! I'm glad you liked it. Justin is special. I think of all the kids who see the parents they love struggle with all kinds of things and want to help. I'm glad you like my humor. There will but lots of irreverant campiness coming up! :)
Link to comment

Such a reversal. I thought Justin was the one coming out. But it ended up being his father. What a great relationship between these two men. I am invested in both characters. Great response to prompt.

Link to comment
On 08/20/2014 07:08 AM, Bryce Lee said:
Such a reversal. I thought Justin was the one coming out. But it ended up being his father. What a great relationship between these two men. I am invested in both characters. Great response to prompt.
Thanks Bryce! I hope you'll check out The Art of Being Gay because Chad and Justin are in that new story of mine. Chad is the costar along with Roy from A Kiss Goodbye. :)
Link to comment

...this is too sad for me...the kid is great, even though he has to deal with a stupid, emotionally shut-down man who knows nothing about himself except the cocoon of half-truths and repression he encased himself in... as i said, this is too sad for me. It will stay with me for a very long time, which means you have done your job as an author.

On a brighter note, I love how you use 'groused' and 'grumped' as dialogue tags. Consider them officially stolen ;)

Link to comment
On 10/03/2014 12:01 PM, AC Benus said:
...this is too sad for me...the kid is great, even though he has to deal with a stupid, emotionally shut-down man who knows nothing about himself except the cocoon of half-truths and repression he encased himself in... as i said, this is too sad for me. It will stay with me for a very long time, which means you have done your job as an author.

On a brighter note, I love how you use 'groused' and 'grumped' as dialogue tags. Consider them officially stolen ;)

Interesting. Thats a very different interpretation from what I intended to portray, but I get it. I'm glad you liked the tags! Use away!
Link to comment
On 10/28/2014 02:10 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Real glad I came across this one!
Thanks Carlos! This character sketch along with chapter seven of the prompts are the beginning of my story The Art of Being Gay! I appreciate the kind words.
Link to comment
On 01/15/2015 04:39 PM, Dabeagle said:
Nice job and an unusual way to handle a story like that - very relevant.
Thanks! This was the character sketch and setup for The Art of Being Gay. Along with A Kiss Goodbye, it provided me with characters that drove that story. I'm glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..