Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 592 Words
  • 875 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ColumbusGuy's Prompt Responses - 4. Prompt 352--First Line

em>"I can't believe you asked him that!"
The second Jay and Miles story.
Two boys in 1970s rural Ohio try to find themselves.

“I can’t believe you asked him that!” Linda’s voice went up an octave as she looked at her younger brother standing by his ancient blue Ford pickup. Jay looked around the school’s parking lot, but it was nearly empty this late in the afternoon; while taking Miles home, he remembered that he had to pick up his sister after cheerleading practice, so it meant another trip to the highschool--two in one day was one too many!

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/uploads//gallery/album_1365/gallery_19469_1365_9158.jpg

 

The high school lot was at the north end, mostly gravel, extending behind the school and to the football field with its metal and wood bleachers. Beyond that, was a smaller single lane path leading back into the large wooded area which served as a nature lab for the school, as well as a secluded place for other activities after school hours. The building itself was mostly one story tan brick around a central courtyard, the two story gym at the north end also held the main cafeteria; the southern end beyond the classrooms, was another one story rectangle set back from the main building--this time without the central court--it held the 7th- and 8th-Grade middle school classrooms along with a smaller cafeteria and the Industrial Arts shops. It was the height of late-Fifties style with it’s roof overhangs and metal-framed banks of five horizontal windows paired for each classroom. Everyone prayed that the air conditioning would work, for only the bottom light of each bank was operable to let in even a slight breeze.

 

“It’s only for pizza, for Chrissakes! He’s a nice guy, and…” Jay’s sister waved that aside with one hand. “He’s not even in 4-H! He isn’t in any groups except Art Club...I heard he got switched out of Algebra Two so he could take Poetry! What sort of guy does that?”

 

There it was again, his sister’s obsession with all things popular--just so she could fit into the jock/cheerleader clique like her other useless girlfriends. She had the same blonde hair he did, but her eyes were brown like their father’s, while Jay’s were nearly the same shade of blue as his mother’s. Besides hair color, they shared similar facial features--hers being only slightly more delicate than his own--other than that, they were completely different personality-wise. Jay couldn't care less about being popular!

 

“Ya know what, sis? I’ve had class with him for four months now--I think I know him better than you! We have a lot of interests in common--music, books...we even like the same jokes--so you can shove that attitude up your ass!”

 

Jay yanked the massive door open and jumped onto the worn cloth seat from the running board, not caring whether his sister got in or not. He turned the key and punched the starter button with a vengeance, causing the engine to kick into life with a bang of backfire and a cloud of blue smoke. He turned the knob on the big chrome radio in the dash, and the strains of Foghat’s Slow Ride came through the single speaker once the radio warmed up.

 

“Miles is my friend--you don’t pick mine, just like I don’t comment on those brain-dead jocks you chase after! Either get in and shut up--or walk--it’s your choice….”

 

As the truck left the parking lot, Jay felt good; I told my bossy sister where to get off--and it’s only one more day until Friday--when Miles and I can start sorting things out!

                               


Next time in Prompt 354: Miles at home alone!
Copyright © 2014 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wanted to cheer out loud. Well done, Jay, both on defending your (potential) boyfriend and on calling your bitchy sister on her shallow mind. Not the best prospect of support if he comes out. :(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/27/2014 11:37 PM, Timothy M. said:
I wanted to cheer out loud. Well done, Jay, both on defending your (potential) boyfriend and on calling your bitchy sister on her shallow mind. Not the best prospect of support if he comes out. :(
Thanks! Over here, the 70s were pretty open, but not for gay kids in small towns, so things will have to be kept quiet for a while. Through a chance encounter on Facebook, I talked a bit with the sister of 'Jay's' character, to find that he had died about five years earlier. I had hoped to talk with him again...missed opportunities. :(
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was sweet. His sister was like my brother. Seems familiar, even if I would have been a kid then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, comicfan said:

This was sweet. His sister was like my brother. Seems familiar, even if I would have been a kid then.

 

I only found out years later that all my own sisters knew about me and were fine with it.  Jay is as I imagine my real-life friend might have been had I taken up his offer...I hope he's looking down on me and smiling about my vision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..