Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 938 Words
  • 1,362 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ColumbusGuy's Prompt Responses - 1. Prompt 343

My Fondest Memory.

My fondest, or perhaps first, memory is of my German Shepherd Duchess; it was 1961, and we had moved into the country from the state capital that summer when I was three years old. We could now have a dog, since our new ranch house sat on a full acre, and so my sisters scoured ads, and we found a puppy for sale, all we had to do was give them twelve books of Green Stamps! Does anyone even remember collecting stamps from stores anymore?

Duchess wasn’t a typical Shepherd--at least not the police-dog type--she was mostly brown, with black muzzle and hairs scattered through her entire coat, but she was an excellent guard dog! The family was sacred to her, and any one who messed with her people was asking for it, even if it was in jest--the growl was the first warning, then a clamp of the jaws on an offending leg--not enough to break the skin, but a sure sign that anything else was entirely on your shoulders. She was a friendly dog, but would only take so much from a person before she would act: one incident was legendary--a group of boys riding bikes would throw rocks at her when she was a puppy, and when she got older, they tried it again, but with vastly different result--this particular day, she chased them and pulled one off his bicycle! That was the last time that group rode by our house.

As the years passed, she and I were constant companions, walking through the fields and along the narrow lanes of our neighborhood, chasing after me when I rode my bike, or chasing us as we would sled down the big hill in winter. During the summer we would play in the creek at the foot of that same hill, or doze in the shade of the ancient oak tree there where our tree-house was. I remember so many times when Duchess would be standing up to her knees in the creek, pawing at the water and barking at the small fish who swam there….So many days and evenings were spent just sitting next to each other with my arm around her, or her head resting on my lap--I would tell her all my secrets, good and bad, and receive the same soft brown stare back every time, without judgment or censure.

Finally, high school came, and while friendships had been formed, enjoyed and drifted apart, the one constant was Duchess--waiting for me to get off the bus after the forty minute ride down tarred country roads--ready for our time together now that classes were over. She was a big dog, over one hundred pounds, but as fast as ever when it came to playing--but the years had begun to show with her graying muzzle, a slight stiffness when she got up, and having to call a bit louder for her on occasion. I still get a laugh when I think of tenth grade photography class--the instructor saw one of my prints in the rinsing sink, and asked “Why is there a wolf in your driveway?”

Since I was the youngest of four, I considered Duchess to be my dog, especially since my three sisters were between six and ten years older…so it was my burden to see the daily changes, albeit gradual, which came to my beloved friend; by senior year, she had lost her hearing, and walking was very hard for her--but she would still play the loyal watch dog by laying in the yard where she could see anyone approach, and her bark would ring out, though it would often break by it’s end. The time was coming when I would be going off to college, even though it was a local one--but I couldn’t envision my life without Duchess--she was my first real memory and I had never been separated from her in all those sixteen years!

June, 1977: Graduation Day! My best friend, a German exchange student and I were dressed in cap and gown having pictures taken in the yard…Duchess in the background watching with her dark brown eyes. A happy day for us, and one of the last great memories I have of my ‘puppy’. A month later, after suggestions from my sisters and parents, it finally got through to me that no life can last forever, and that constant pain which so severely limits your actions is no life at all. My father was the only one who would take Duchess to the vet for her final visit--my sisters, and myself in particular--were too distraught to do it. Before they left, I had sat with her for some time, hugging her, petting her, and talking softly into her fuzzy ear…all the time with tears on my cheeks.

We buried her in the back yard by the edge of the corn field behind us…next to a few birds, a duck and a couple cats who had come and gone during the years…but Duchess was my first love--if you can say that of a pet--and from that day to this, I have never again, despite the anguish, spent those final moments away from my pet’s side. The last sight my pets have had on this earth, is me holding them and looking into their eyes as the spark dims from the vet’s injection after all other options have failed.

A bittersweet memory perhaps, but I wouldn’t have given up any of the pleasures of owning Duchess--those make the experience a priceless gift, whether that life be short, or long as it was in her case.

My fondest memory.
Copyright © 2014 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You had me tearing up and thinking of my own first loves, my pets. So touching, personal, and real, at least to me. Thank you. It was very special.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/28/2014 02:02 PM, Cole Matthews said:
You had me tearing up and thinking of my own first loves, my pets. So touching, personal, and real, at least to me. Thank you. It was very special.
Thank you so much, Cole. It's been nearly 40 years, but I was very close to crying myself when I was writing it--reliving my time with her.

It always strikes me hard when I lose a pet--but she was my first. I have been cursed/blessed to have very long lives with mine, which makes it less frequent, but much harder on me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

"sniffs sadly". I tear up when I think of one of my pets dying, expecially Gypsy Rose, my little house dog. I've lost pets over the years and my hubby cries as much as I do. We love pets. Our cat just had five kittens and he doesn't want to give any away although we have four dogs outside also. So love of animals can soften any humans heart and your is no different.

Very warm and heartfelt story. Even tho I cried, I loved it. Hope to see more writing from you. It doesn't have to be this sad tho. :P But, I so understand where this came from because I've been there many times. I don't know if I'd have the strength to write about my pet's demise. You love each and every one of them in a special way and you statement about looking in their eyes as they died gave me chills and cry harder. Wonderful!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/28/2014 10:56 PM, joann414 said:
"sniffs sadly". I tear up when I think of one of my pets dying, expecially Gypsy Rose, my little house dog. I've lost pets over the years and my hubby cries as much as I do. We love pets. Our cat just had five kittens and he doesn't want to give any away although we have four dogs outside also. So love of animals can soften any humans heart and your is no different.

Very warm and heartfelt story. Even tho I cried, I loved it. Hope to see more writing from you. It doesn't have to be this sad tho. :P But, I so understand where this came from because I've been there many times. I don't know if I'd have the strength to write about my pet's demise. You love each and every one of them in a special way and you statement about looking in their eyes as they died gave me chills and cry harder. Wonderful!

Thanks joann--I plan on doing more writing here--I've been doing 'role-play' writing at another site for years, but this is my first effort at GA. Even though this entry made me sad also, the warm memories of fun times with Duchess outweighed that.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/28/2014 11:33 PM, Slytherin said:
That was so sad and I cried :,( But I liked this prompt very touching, warm story :) Well done
Many thanks--when I saw this prompt, I knew just what I had to write. Now I just have to figure out a way to write more gay-themed tasteful entries without blushing. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nothing like the memory of a beloved pet. It is universal so everyone can relate. Found myself crying and remembering the dogs that have enriched my life so much over the years. Beautiful memory and story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've never had a dog, but my grandparents did. I can remember coming home from school and my mum telling me that her father had shot the Alsatian who had been with them my whole life because he was old and sick. I'm not ahamed to admit I cried. A lot. And you story brought the pain back, but also memories of a wonderful dog. I had a picture of him on my shelf for years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/27/2014 11:20 PM, Timothy M. said:
I've never had a dog, but my grandparents did. I can remember coming home from school and my mum telling me that her father had shot the Alsatian who had been with them my whole life because he was old and sick. I'm not ahamed to admit I cried. A lot. And you story brought the pain back, but also memories of a wonderful dog. I had a picture of him on my shelf for years.
Duchess was my first loss of a pet, and it was especially hard since she was the first thing I remember that could be called 'mine'. I still cry when i have to say goodbye to a pet, and I too am not ashamed to say it--a person who can't express emotion isn't much of a man in my book.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/29/2014 12:35 PM, comicfan said:
Nothing like the memory of a beloved pet. It is universal so everyone can relate. Found myself crying and remembering the dogs that have enriched my life so much over the years. Beautiful memory and story.
I'm so touched that the creator of the prompt likes my first effort! Even after 35 years, I had tears in my eyes as I relived my time with Duchess. At least now, they are tears of happiness for the fond memories.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I´ve lost one dog and several cats.....and now I´m remembering them and crying.

Sweet and sad story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/15/2014 06:37 PM, Suvitar said:
I´ve lost one dog and several cats.....and now I´m remembering them and crying.

Sweet and sad story!

It's been over 35 years since I lost Duchess...I still was on the verge of tears as I wrote that. But it brought back so many good memories of her. My latest loss was July '13--my 8 year old Siamese girl...leaves me only with my nearly 14 year old Siamese, with luck, we'll go together. Her brother is my avatar pic--he was stolen back in '06.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

One thing you have to face when you have a pet dog or cat is that it isn't going to live for as long as you, but that isn't something that registers when you are a young child.
Somehow though we keep coming back for more of the same agony which never seems to get any easier.
You managed to express those feelings very well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/17/2016 06:40 AM, Ivor Slipper said:

One thing you have to face when you have a pet dog or cat is that it isn't going to live for as long as you, but that isn't something that registers when you are a young child.

Somehow though we keep coming back for more of the same agony which never seems to get any easier.

You managed to express those feelings very well.

Thanks, Ivor. Alas, this is something I won't have to face anymore: the cats in my pic are Genghis, in front, and Bortai his sister toward the back. He was stolen in '06, but I still had Bortai, who would have been fifteen last Christmas. Traditional Siamese are huge and robust, so it was odd when she started to lose her appetite, so after two days, I took her to the vet on 10th August last year...she seemed to be in pain when the vet did a little probing and said she didn't like the sound of her lungs, so did x-rays. From her look on returning, I knew it wasn't good news: her lungs had almost entirely filled with cancerous tumors, so it was eat or breathe, not both. I was in tears even before she finished her explanation, and I asked her if she could take pics of us before giving her the final injections...she emailed them to me within an hour, but I hadn't left her clinic yet. She told me to take all the time I needed before the shot, and didn't complain when I finally called her back in after almost an hour and a half. She then left me holding Bortai as she passed, again saying take all the time I needed. It was another hour before we made arrangements for her cremation, and her ashes now sit in a nice copper urn on my mantelpiece. A day later, I got a sympathy card from the clinic, with the vet's signature and a personal message on it.

It was two weeks before I could even take the urn from the bag my house-mate picked up...just looking at it brought all the tears back.

I've had a lifetime of amazingly loving cats, and one very special dog...I know I'll see them all again someday, they were always loyal and true, unlike many people I've known, both family and otherwise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Such a beautiful and touching tribute. Your memory triggered some of mine, and you made me cry. I've just read it a second time with the same result. You are a talented man, CG. Thank you... cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks Gary, I know you have shared the same loss with Mallory, and all we can do is extend our sympathies.  It's appreciated but only time will lessen the pain, though not obliterate it.  I read this again and was nearly crying myself though it's been forty years since I lost her.  So many scenes of us together running through my head, so in a way, she's still with me.

In a perfect world, pets would live young forever along with us, but that's just a dream.  As long as we remember our departed ones, they are never dead.  As the ancient Egyptians believed, to speak the name of a departed insures immortality.  So, 'Duchess, I love you still.'

:hug:  :heart:  :heart:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..