Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,302 Words
  • 1,637 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry

For the Love of Beauty - 1. For the Love of Beauty

Venus has always been a jealous goddess. She has never been faithful and her past is a checkered as that of Jupiter. She had even grown to hate Psyche who eventually became her son Eros' wife. What happens then when she is left to come face to face with another beauty? What if this beauty was a male who was more attractive than Ganymedes, cup-bearer of the Gods and lover to Jupiter? Enter the poor Speciosus. Greek tales rarely turn out well.

 

 

For the Love of Beauty

Venus was a jealous goddess; this was well known throughout the Roman world. She was the goddess of Beauty and Love, although this was something she seemed to forget in her dealings with others. Her beauty had always been unmatched until Psyche had entered the world which caused a huge rift among her family of Gods. However the rivalry between them came to an end when her own son, Eros, married her. Venus swore she would never again be jealous of a mortal woman. She kept her promise. She never said anything about a human male, since she hadn’t ever considered their beauty as something to worry about, and then came the birth of Speciosus.

Speciosus had been born to two normal human parents who honored the Gods and Goddesses but never expected to have any sort of real dealings with them. Then Marta had given birth to her son. She took one look at him and found her son to be a handsome baby and so named him, Speciosus. He was born with a thick mop of dark black curls that reminded all who saw him of the dark tufts found on the black lambs. He had long eyelashes, sea blue eyes, and pale pink lips. All the women of Corsica seemed to fawn over the child. Before his fifth birthday women were leaving gifts for the child in hopes of attracting his attention.

Venus heard of this great male beauty and was herself captivated by him. Only she had learned that not all of her advances would be followed through on by the boy. She carefully watched as the youth grew in both strength and beauty. By his sixteenth year his attractiveness had even drawn the attention of Jupiter, who was fairly busy with multiple romances and his own cup bearer Ganymede. The attention being heaped upon the boy began to upset Venus. She desired the youth for herself, and on more than one occasion had attempted to seduce him. All her tricks were in vain. A shower of flowers, the tempting aroma of the sweetest foods, and even the richest of spices were offered as gifts to the beautiful youth who smiled politely but did not act on them. None of it seemed to appeal to the young Speciosus who watched the sea, worked the farm, and led a simple life with his parents.

The Goddess Invidia found the whole thing rather comical. She watched as Venus tried one thing after another to snare the youth in her golden traps but none seemed to appeal to Speciosus. Invidia enjoyed seeing Venus making a fool of herself for the human. It probably would not have gone as it had if Venus hadn’t gotten into an argument with Invidia.

“I should think that one as beastly as yourself would know better than to interfere or comment on any aspect of love, Invidia.”

“You forget what attracts me. Beware before you dare to toss judgment on me. You have been warned,” Invidia said in a honey sweet voice.

Humanity knew better than to cross Invidia. The Goddess Invidia was in charge of envy and jealousy. At times she was so beautiful people were envious of her and at other times she appeared almost reptilian spitting poisonous words and ideas at people where they took hold and warped the sight and mind of her victims.

“Beastly Goddess, what do I have to fear from you? No one’s beauty can compare to my own and whom I love is my business.” Saying this Venus turned and gazed for a moment at Speciosus before beginning her trip back to Olympus.

The quick comment Venus had tossed at Invidia incensed her. Her gaze alternated from the retreating form of Venus to that of the one Venus desired, Speciosus. She smiled wickedly and a plan was set that would alter the world forever more. Invidia talked to Nemesis and Poena and the horrible plan was hatched.

“You know I am all for getting even with that witch. She feels she is better than all of us. I bet she would replace Mother Juno if she could,” Nemesis spat out heatedly.

“I don’t agree that she feels that way but she does deserve punishment for her actions. The question ladies, is how do we go about making sure it is appropriate,” Poena stated in a calm manner. Punishments from her always fit the crime.

Invidia smiled. She alone knew she might not be able to get her revenge on Venus alone but with the Goddesses of Revenge and Punishment on her side she would get satisfaction.

Venus had two sons who once did the same job. Eros and Cupid had been in charge of making people fall in love, but as Eros had married he now only would help people find spiritual love. Cupid had been left to do all the work. The three goddesses agreed that Cupid was the weak link they needed to enact their plan.

They found the youngster playing among the flowers early in the fall morning. He was surprised to see the three lesser goddesses together. The women approached him and Nemesis took the center stage. While she began to speak to Cupid the other Goddess looked for his symbols of power, his bow and arrows of love.

“Cupid, would you be willing to lend me a hand?”

“What could you need me for? I don’t work in the business of revenge or envy. Jupiter knows I couldn’t care less about anyone being punished, unless it was me.”

Invidia spotted Cupids arrows near a laurel branch. Quickly Invidia and Poena focused their energies and altered a single arrow. It glowed for a moment and then looked like all the rest of his arrows. Invidia smiled and waited for the problems to begin.

“There is a youth in Corsica who needs some help. The poor boy has too many options.”

“Too many options? I’ve never heard of anyone having too many options when it comes to love. Too few, yes, but too many?” Cupid was curious now.

“Oh, yes,” piped in Invidia. “He is such a handsome youth and all the women desire him. He just can’t seem to make up his mind so instead he lives sheltered in his parent’s home. Even now the downy peach of youth begins to fade and the first touch of adulthood marks his chin.”

“The women are beginning to get desperate,” whispered Poena. “They all desire the simple affections of Speciosus. If they start to war with one another over this youth there will be many problems for us all.”

“I am going to have to see this boy for myself,” Cupid muttered.

The three goddesses smiled. They had Cupid right where they wanted him.

“I shall check this out for myself and then if what you have said is true I will take care of the problem with my arrows.”

“Thank you, Cupid. That is all we could possibly ask of the God of Love.”

Cupid flew as quickly as the wind to Corsica, and in no time at all he had discovered the youth Speciosus. The tempting young man was busy cutting wood for the fire. He was naked to his waist and the sun glistened off the sweat of his body. His work around the family farm kept him well muscled and in top physical shape. He fished, swam, and kept busy with chores. He had become an excellent runner in attempting to escape from the many women who chased him constantly. Cupid was captivated by the beautiful body, but when Speciosus turned and he saw the handsome youth’s face he was as taken as his mother, Venus, had been.

“I wish I could take you for my own, Speciosus, but that is not my job,” whispered Cupid as he attempted to control his lust. He reached into his quiver and immediately the arrow Poena and Invidia altered fell into his hand.

“By my hand I shoot this arrow to your heart. It opens doors for your love to follow, for you to find your one true love.”

The arrow flew straight and true to Speciosus’ heart. The boy who had always been unsure of what he wanted from life and who he wanted was no longer unsure. In that moment, a part of Invidia and Poena’s power also exploded inside of Speciosus. No longer did people of Corsica look upon him and find him simply beautiful. Now they looked upon him with envy and desire. Women no longer gently sought his attention; they either attempted to rape him or took to hating him instead. Men who saw him as an oddity now wanted to possess him. Jupiter again put forth a more forceful approach to Speciosus and Venus herself lay prostate before him in hopes of gaining his favor. All of which, the unassuming Speciosus rebuked.

Mars came to see what had so attracted his lover and Vulcan to see why his wife flocked to a human. Both Gods soon were laying tribute at the feet of Speciosus as well. Specious was beside himself with worry. For each God or Goddess that appeared before him brought Speciosus new problems, and soon they were forcing their desires upon him totally ignoring his own desires for happiness. Problems began to multiply as the Gods and Goddesses were fighting amongst themselves for his attention. Pluto, Neptune, Mercury, Minerva, and even Diana soon joined the others in vying for Speciosus’ time and love. This all made Venus more and more upset until finally in all her jealousy she cast a curse upon the youth.

“You dare to think you are too beautiful for me? So you are too good for any God or Goddess? You think you are so much better,” screamed Venus. Her sea blue eyes flashed and turned a deep shade of green. “I give to you then this gift; from now on no God or Goddess who has seen you here will desire you or be able find you. No female will ever desire your company. You will live alone, outside the world of companionship. May you find the love you need where none of us may touch you.”

The jealousy of Invidia’s revenge was now complete. The words cursing Speciosus immediately took effect. All the Gods and Goddesses who had been pursuing him could no longer sense him as he vanished from their godly powers. The women of Corsica felt revulsion at him, and even his own mother forced him from his home. The poor boy was crushed. He wandered the forests and towns never finding a place to call home.

Eventually, he took a boat from his homeland to the mainland. Hiding in the mountains he eventually settled in. There was one thing that both Venus and the Goddesses who wanted revenge on her forgot. While they punished Venus they also had destroyed Speciosus’ life. However, what they couldn’t change was Cupid’s arrow. Always it would find its mark and would bring to the one shot their true love, and so it was with Speciosus.

To the side of the mountain where Speciosus made his home eventually there came a soldier. Grizzled and worn he found the neat home that Speciosus kept and grew curious. At first the soldier expected to find the home of an old widow or maybe a young woman. There was a garden on the one side where olives grew and on the other a small grouping of sheep. The home looked well kept if small and far away from all of society.

“Hello. Hello. Is anyone home?” asked Viresos Alero.

Viresos scanned the area and eventually looked in through the window. Inside the home was neat if barely furnished. Heading into the hills just behind the house he caught sight of Speciosus.

“Excuse me, would you be able to help me? I am looking for the owner of this home. I’ve been traveling since my tour of duty is done and oh….”

Viresos stopped talking as Speciosus turned to face him. If nothing else, the time on his own had forced more changes upon Speciosus. He had filled out and his body was even more toned. His lashes had grown longer and his hair was a mass of curls. His cheeks were now a golden brown and there was a scruffy sort of day old beard on his face. He cut a rugged sort of figure. The arrow that Cupid had shot him with months before, now released its final bit of magic as his heart and that of Viresos, the brave solider before him, were connected. All the remaining bits of Invidia and Poena’s spell were completely gone. Instead of the envy and problems that Speciosus had been dealing with, he now faced a man who felt no compulsions one way or the other.

The two men stood talking the rest of the afternoon away. Before evening a soft rain fell and the two men said a prayer to Iris as her rainbow crossed the sky. Hearing their prayers and seeing how happy the two were, Iris paused. Finding them to be pure of heart she blessed them, so that the two men soon found joy and pleasure in whatever they did, wherever they went. They took the colors of the rainbow and made it the fabric of their lives so its colors were seen in their gardens, their clothing, and all around their home.


Discuss this story

So that is my Greek tale. Speciosus had his whole life turned upside down do to his own handsomeness. If you liked this story leave a comment. Had a problem with it, leave a comment. Loved Speciosus then feel free to leave a happy point. Thank you. Promise to answer all comments.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Poor poor guy! i love the story, BUT the poor guy bore the brunt of it all and didnt even know what hit him! lol

(btw: can humans SEE cupid's arrow? :P )

 

Always love the twists and turns you plot. this was really really well done! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Really nicely done. Cute ending. You are so comfortable handling supernatural ideas, gods, etc. A really enjoyable read. Bounces along with real confidence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was excellent. I love mythology as well and I love how you used it when writing this sweet tale of a poor boy who was just too handsome for his own good. Like how it turned out in the end. A great read!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 04:44 AM, CassieQ said:
This was excellent. I love mythology as well and I love how you used it when writing this sweet tale of a poor boy who was just too handsome for his own good. Like how it turned out in the end. A great read!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Greek and Roman mythology is something I enjoy. I have never shied away from putting my own spin on anything. Figured how wrong could you go with Venus anyway. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 03:41 AM, carringtonrj said:
Really nicely done. Cute ending. You are so comfortable handling supernatural ideas, gods, etc. A really enjoyable read. Bounces along with real confidence.
Thank you Carrington. I just sort feel if you write you should be able to write about nearly anything. I like a challenge.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 03:27 AM, Dolores Esteban said:
I like your story a lot. The final sentence is poetic and the perfect ending for this beautiful tale. I really enjoyed it. :)
Thank you Dolores. I was happy to see I wasn't the only one who turned to Greek/Roman Mythology for my inspiration. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 01:49 AM, Frostina said:
Poor poor guy! i love the story, BUT the poor guy bore the brunt of it all and didnt even know what hit him! lol

(btw: can humans SEE cupid's arrow? :P )

 

Always love the twists and turns you plot. this was really really well done! :D

Thank you, Frosty. You are always there to make sure I supply enough details without getting lost. Thank you for helping to make this turn out as well as it did.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wayne, that was soooooo good! I loved it. Mythology gives me chills (god I'm such a geek :P ) It wasn't too overboard on the Gods and Myth that someone couldn't be able to follow it, if that wasn't their thing. I think this will be one of the fall favorites! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I also am a big Latin person, too. I love how you incorporated the pettiness of the Gods and Goddesses and formed something that could easily have been a nice play in the times of Sophocles.

This story was a fun reading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 10:01 AM, K.C. said:
Wayne, that was soooooo good! I loved it. Mythology gives me chills (god I'm such a geek :P ) It wasn't too overboard on the Gods and Myth that someone couldn't be able to follow it, if that wasn't their thing. I think this will be one of the fall favorites! :D
Thank you KC. I just wonder how many will pick up the cues I have in there for rainbow. :lol: I like to slide in the gay culture as I can. You flatter me with the favorite line. I'm almost through everyone's stories. There are so many different ones and all so good.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 12:07 PM, W_L said:
I also am a big Latin person, too. I love how you incorporated the pettiness of the Gods and Goddesses and formed something that could easily have been a nice play in the times of Sophocles.

This story was a fun reading.

Thank you W_L. I always loved Mythology and Fairy Tales. Whenever I get to use one or the other in my writing I am fairly happy and hope I don't insult anyone with my take on the subjects. Thank you for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hey, I was a bit lost with this at the beginning ... too many characters to keep track of, but isn't it always the way in life? Too many nasties, and not enough nicies!

 

I liked your inclusion of the rainbow. How clever, and just so ... unimposing ... just right.

 

I also liked that the attraction between the two men was left Platonic, at least to our eyes. That endless talk that two people do on the first meeting, creating a seemingly fated connection, is something that just never gets mentioned.

 

Brilliant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/20/2011 05:19 PM, Dannsar said:
Hey, I was a bit lost with this at the beginning ... too many characters to keep track of, but isn't it always the way in life? Too many nasties, and not enough nicies!

 

I liked your inclusion of the rainbow. How clever, and just so ... unimposing ... just right.

 

I also liked that the attraction between the two men was left Platonic, at least to our eyes. That endless talk that two people do on the first meeting, creating a seemingly fated connection, is something that just never gets mentioned.

 

Brilliant.

Thank you Dan. I had hoped to have gone slowly enough that no one was really lost. There were mentions of various Gods and Goddesses but hopefully it was just a quick overview and nothing that would lose my readers. I'm glad you like the touch of the rainbow. Figured if their was going to end up being a gay couple that would be a nice inclusion.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nicely done. I felt like I was sitting at a play watching on as these gods and goddesses fought amongst themselves, forgetting about the one individual and what he wanted who mattered the most. Speciosus finally found happiness, while the gods and goddesses themselves were deprived of his beauty. It brings to mind a saying, "If you love something, let it go."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/21/2011 10:58 AM, Linxe Termoil said:
Nicely done. I felt like I was sitting at a play watching on as these gods and goddesses fought amongst themselves, forgetting about the one individual and what he wanted who mattered the most. Speciosus finally found happiness, while the gods and goddesses themselves were deprived of his beauty. It brings to mind a saying, "If you love something, let it go."
Thank you. I didn't have to work hard to create the Gods or Goddesses. They are all well known but I like to feel I put my own spin on their pettiness and how they used humanity.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

[Review from Jian Sierra]

I just love it. I've always been fascinated by the gods and goddesses and this story just quenched my appetite. And I'm just a sucker for happy endings. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/21/2011 03:44 PM, Bleu said:
[Review from Jian Sierra]

I just love it. I've always been fascinated by the gods and goddesses and this story just quenched my appetite. And I'm just a sucker for happy endings. Thanks!

Thank you Bleu. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like that Speciosus holds steadfast to his own self in the face of all creation it seems. Good story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/23/2011 04:50 PM, Foster said:
I like that Speciosus holds steadfast to his own self in the face of all creation it seems. Good story.
Yes well he just refuses to let himself go for someone he doesn't care for. Gods, Goddesses, and all the others be damned. His life became hell but he kept hanging on till he found what he wanted. Bless Cupid's little heart.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh that was beautiful. As with all Greek Myth there was tragedy but there was also hope and beauty and a happy ending. Sigh. Venus really is a bitch isn't she. Thank the Gods I'm not beautiful

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2011 09:43 PM, Nephylim said:
Oh that was beautiful. As with all Greek Myth there was tragedy but there was also hope and beauty and a happy ending. Sigh. Venus really is a bitch isn't she. Thank the Gods I'm not beautiful
Oh my dark beauty you are too. But yeah I do like to play with them all a bit here, and Venus was always a really beautiful bitch.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/04/2014 03:54 PM, AceKebabs said:
I thought Eros is Cupid, Eros in the greek version and Cupid roman. And Mars is Ares
While basically Eros and Cupid are the same, Eros was seen as a young man full of sexual vitality and the equal of Psyche. Cupid was described more as a child and he was given the bow and arrow by the Romans. So I kept the identities separate for this story so I would have the story I desired. You have to have a little freedom when you write to create your own world. Even Aphrodite and Venus are not exact copies of one another, as both groups used the Goddess of Love differently. Eros was even seen as older than Aphrodite, one of the four original Gods to come from the darkness. Cupid has always been seen as Venus's child.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really appreciated the multiple mythological touches: the laurel tree symbol for example, and the mention of other myths (Cupid and Psyche, Jupiter and Ganymede). An especially fun experience for those of us who own a copy of Bullfinch's Mythology. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..