Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 2,894 Words
  • 1,841 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unintended Love - 4. Chapter 4

When we reached the school that was painted in it's colors of red, white, and black, it was full of students of all kinds; black, white, Asian, Latino. They were all dressed pretty preppy. There were some that might be dressed in a sort of hip-hop fashion, and there were actually some people dressed like me, which was a relief. I'm just a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy.

"So, this is Sunset High." said Carly as we walked through the crowd. "We have a championship basketball and football team. We're the kind of school that makes the star of the football team the most popular kid in school. I don't see why, the guy is seriously full of himself. He walks around this school like he owns it."

"Sounds like a jerk."

"Oh, no he really is a jerk. But I have to admit, he's super hot." She giggled. "But you don't care about that stuff."

She ran up to this guy with fancy clothes on and a fancy haircut. He hand blond hair that came across his face, but was short. It was almost like a woman's haircut. She hugged him and they kissed each other's cheeks. Great, this kid was so obviously gay. She was bringing him over.

"Rain, this is my best friend Eric. Eric this my new neighbor Rain. He's just moved here from New York."

"Sup?" I asked.

"Mm, you weren't lying C, he is gorgeous."

I smiled and looked over to Carly who was blushing.

"Please Eric. You're embarrassing me."

"You weren't embarrassed when you called me last night raving about how hot your neighbor was."

I couldn't believe that I was laughing at this. A gay guy and my neighbor are both talking about me like I was some supermodel and I wasn't the least bit embarrassed.

"I think I'm gonna go die now," said Carly, looking away.

"Don't worry about it, C. Look, he likes the attention."

"Not really. I just think the situation is kind of amusing, that's all."

Around us, the noise and the hustle of the school went on. I felt really comfortable around Carly all of a sudden.

"So, do you guys know where Mr. Sweet's room is?" I asked. "I have him for homeroom."

"No worries, we'll show you."

Eric took Carly by the arm and I followed them. Eric was a really cool character. He was tall and thin, with a perfect posture and a walk that was very androgynous. As for Carly, she seemed to be a perfect match for him.
She was just a bit of a tomboy, but not enough to dress like a boy. She wore tight, thigh hugging jeans, a small black t-shirt with short sleeves and pink Converse Chuck's with white laces. She was a very beautiful girl with a great figure. She would normally be my type, but ever since I met Zack, I don't even look at girls anymore. All I can think about is him. It sucks.
We reached my homeroom and stopped to chat right in front of it. They asked me a whole bunch of questions about New York, what kind of music I like, and what my favorite movies are. These questions only reminded me of Zack, though. He asked me most of the same questions when we were alone in my Hawaiian suite.
The bell rang and I had to go inside a few more minutes later. We agreed to meet at lunch and then separated and the time between homeroom and lunch was just mediocre; English, science, history, and art. After art was lunch. I met Carly where she said to, right in front of the cafeteria, which is a big giant red building.

"Let's go, we'll give you some of our lunch. The food here is horrible." said Carly as soon as her and Eric walked up.

"Well...I have money."

"No, unless it's from the vending machines, do not buy anything food-like from this school."

"Um...okay."

We walked into the cafeteria and found a seat. Carly gave me a piece of her turkey club and Eric gave me a few pieces of California roll sushi. Combined with a green tea that I bought from a machine, it was actually the best school lunch I've ever had.

"Oh God," said Carly as she rolled her eyes. "Don't look now, but here come the king and queen of Sunset High."

I turned around and as if in slow motion, I saw the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. I got this feeling in he pit of my stomach like I was going to vomit. It was Zack and he had his arm around one of the most gorgeous girls that I have ever seen. He was kissing her and feeling her. He was even laughing with her. I was horrified.

"So, is that the jerk you were talking about?" I asked.

"Ugh, yeah, and that's his girlfriend; the captain of the cheer squad. They‘ve been going out for, like, ever."

"Her name is Amy and she's absolutely fabulous."

"No she's not. She's-She's horrible." Carly insisted.

"Oh, you're just saying that because you've had a crush on Zack Morgan since the fifth grade."

I must be in the twilight zone or something because this cannot be happening. It's just not possible. Is it?
I couldn't stay there any longer, and I couldn't let Zack see me. I just couldn't. I started move through the cafeteria hunched over really low. I couldn't see where I was going, but I just figured that I'd find the door eventually. Instead I ran into someone, sending their tray of food flying into air, as well as making him slip and all of the food landed on us.
Laughing filled the entire cafeteria and my worst nightmare was fulfilled when I heard an all to familiar laugh coming from somewhere really close to me.

"Who the hell is this loser?"

It was him. He called me a loser. I got up, wiped myself off and when he looked at me horror became his entire face. I helped the person that I ran into up. He was tall, taller than me. He looked about six feet tall. He had a somewhat messy haircut, but I got the impression that it was styled to look that way. By this time, the laughing had gone away and people had gone back to their lunches.

"I'm so sorry. I...It's my fault."

"It's okay," he said. "I'm a klutz anyway. It was bound to happen sooner or later."

He was very soft spoken, almost shy.

"Let me buy you a new lunch," I said.

I turned back to Zack. His girlfriend Amy, or whatever her name was, was pulling him to go sit down, but he was frozen.

"You can't. It's okay. I'll just get a bag of chips or something."

"No...come on, um...what's your name?"

"It's Gabe. My name's Gabe."

"Come on Gabe. If you're just gonna eat chips, then at least let me buy you those. I feel really horrible."

Suddenly, Eric and Carly were beside me, asking if I was okay and hovering really badly.

"Hello Gabe." said Eric.

"Eric..." Gabe returned.

"Do you guys know each other?" I asked.

"They used to go out." said Carly.

"Oh...well, I was just about to go with Gabe to the vending machines and buy him some chips. I'll be back you guys."

I took Gabe by the arm and pulled him out of the cafeteria. I didn't want to look back, but I was hoping that that Zack saw me leaving the building with Gabe.

"What was that about?" Gabe asked.

"You don't even want to know." I said. "How about those chips."

"You don't have to buy chips, really. They're only a dollar."

"Well, maybe I don't have to buy you chips, but I want to." Gabe smiled and I smiled back. "Now, do you happen to know where the machines are?"

"What?"

"I'm kind of new here."

"Oh, that's why I've never seen you before. Come on. They're this way."

Gabe and I started walking through the crowd and noise of the commons area of the school to get to the vending machines.

"So, where are you from?" asked Gabe as he opened his bag of potato chips.

"New York."

"No shit! I've always want to go there. It must be awesome to live there."

"Yeah, it is pretty awesome. But California is really cool too." I said.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated in my pocket, but it only vibrated once. I asked Gabe to excuse me. I checked my caller ID. It was Zack. He sent me a text message.

Meet me bhind da
Ftbll bleachrs
Aftr skewl. We
Need 2 tlk.

The message totally caught me off guard. I didn't know what to do, so I just deleted it.

"Are you okay?" asked Gabe.

"Yeah, it's nothing."

The bell rang before Gabe could say anything else. So, I just ended the conversation.

"So, why don't you eat lunch with Me, Eric, and Carly tomorrow?" I asked.

"I can't. Eric and I...it's awkward."

"Come on. Who were you going to sit with today anyway?"

"Um...I usually just sit by myself."

"See! I can't let you sit by yourself."

"Okay, okay...if...if it'll get you to stop bugging me."

I smiled and patted him on the back. Then I went my way. My next three classes were calculus, PE, and Spanish. These classes were no more exciting then the ones before them. I couldn't pay attention anyway. I was just thinking about meeting Zack the entire time. I had to meet Carly first, though. I told her I'd meet her in the front of the school.

"So, wanna go out for some smoothies or something. I know this great place."

"Actually, um...I've gotta stay behind and meet, ah...my counselor. Yeah, some last minute transfer stuff."

"Oh, okay, do you want us to wait?" asked Carly.

"Come on, C, leave it alone." said Eric.

"It's okay, Carly. I'll get a ride." I said.

"See, the cutie can get a ride." said Eric. "Let's go."

Eric pulled Carly away and they walked to the parking lot. I started back into the school gates. It was so foreign to me, going to an outdoor school. I couldn't find anything. And as I walk walking through the school, getting hopelessly lost, I heard my name. I turned around to where it was coming from. It was Gabe.

"You look lost," he said with a smile.

"Yeah, I'm looking for the football stadium."

"I think football tryouts are over by now." he said. "They're usually in the middle of summer."

"No...um...I'm supposed to meet someone there. Can you just point me into right direction."

"Sure, just go down there and take a left at the arts building." He pointed to my right, his left.

"Thanks Gabe. Um...I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay..." He smiled and the went on his way. I walked in the direction he told me. I was going to meet Zack.

* * *

"What the fuck took you so long? I thought you weren't coming!"

"Sor-ry! I'm new here remember? I got lost."

Zack took a deep breath and then looked at me calmly.

"It's good to see you," he said.

"Really? Is it? Because the look on your face in the cafeteria doesn't really back up that statement."

"Hey, come on. I was just surprised."

"Yeah, much like I was surprised when I saw you walk into the cafeteria with Amy in your arms."

He looked at me shocked once again.

"Yes, I know her name. I also know that the people at this school refer to you two as the king and queen of Sunset High. I also know that not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but she's the captain of the cheerleaders, and she's a really nice girl."

I couldn't help but be really bitter and really pissed off.

"Rain, calm down."

"I'm sorry, Zack. How am I supposed to calm down? I am furious! How could you not tell me that you had a girlfriend?!"

"I didn't think it mattered, okay! I didn't think I would ever see you again."

"Is that why you didn't call me last night?" He stayed silent. "Right...so what? We're you just gonna blow me off? Did Hawaii mean anything to you?"

"Of course it did, Rain." I could see his eyes start to tear up. "But when we first started, I didn't think I would fall in love with you. So I didn't tell you. There was no point. But when I fell for you...I fell hard and I panicked. I freaked out. Then I realized that it didn't matter that I had a girlfriend because I love you, Rain. I don't love her."

"You were still gonna blow me off!"

"Yes, I was...but only because I thought I would never see you again."

"Come on, Zack. We live in the same city!"

"But LA is big. It's bigger than you think. I just thought it would be easier to break it off completely than to just do...whatever over phone and e-mail."

I didn't have anymore to say. I wasn't anywhere near forgiving him, but I wasn't furious anymore either.

"So...where did you go with Gabe Smart anyway?"

I laughed sarcastically. "Like you have any right to ask. We're over. You're back with your girlfriend and I'm-I'm just me."

"But Rain...I still love you."

"Does it matter?" I asked, waving my hands in the air. "We can't be together." He pouted knowing that I was right. "You've got your girlfriend and your reputation to think about." I took a breath, trying my hardest not to cry. "You said it yourself. What we have isn't natural. Two guys aren't meant to fall in love."

I turned around intending to walk away, and he grabbed my wrist stopping me. I looked back to him.

"No..." I took my wrist from him. "Don't."

"What are you gonna go back to Gabe?"

"Maybe," I said. "He's a good guy."

"I thought you weren't gay."

"I fell in love with you didn't I? Maybe I should just accept that straight guys don't fall in love with other guys. And maybe I can forget about you long enough to form something good with Gabe. Something a little less messed up than what we had." I paused. "See ya around, Zack."

I turned around and left, but as I walked I didn't only hear my footsteps in the grass. I heard him sniffling. But I didn't look back. I was afraid that if I did, I would go back to him. That's just something I couldn't afford to do.
I got back to the front of the school and I got my phone out of my pocket as I walked. I started to look for Jenna's number in my caller ID. I knew my parents wouldn't pick me up, so she was the only one I could call. The phone was ringing by the time I got to the front of the parking lot. I sat on the sidewalk waiting for her to answer, but she never did. Then, a car pulled up in front of me. I stood up and looked into the window. It was Gabe. He had a brand new, three door Nissan Versa, dark blue.

"Hey, you need a ride?" he asked.

I smiled. "That would be great."

I got in and Gabe drove off. He turned down his music. I tried to get a listen to it, but he turned it down too fast.

"So, which way am I going?" he asked as he came up to the exit of the parking lot.

"Left," I promptly told him. "Towards the coast."

"This whole city is the coast my man."

He seemed a lot more free now that we were alone. He didn't seem as closed off and shy. I wonder why? He's really charismatic.

"So why California?" he asked.

"My mom's an architect. She's doing a couple of big jobs down here for a client. It should take a few years, or so she says."

"What about you?" I asked.

"I was born here, man." He smiled almost all the time now. Unlike during school.

"That's cool."

I gave him the rest of the directions to my house and we got there within about ten to fifteen minutes. When we did, he parked the car right at the curb.

"So...you wanna come in?" I asked.

"Um...sure. Why not?"

"But I have to warn you. There's not much I can offer you besides stimulating conversation."

He smiled. "That's okay with me."

I have to admit that when we were at school, his vulnerability drew me in more than I could admit at the time. But now seeing how different he is outside of school, makes me even more intrigued.

"Wait..." I said.

"What?"

"You don't even know my name," I answered.

"Oh...your name doesn't really matter. What matters is your soul and your spirit. What matters is you. Not some name. But if it will put your mind at ease...What's your name?"

"Rain. My name's Rain."

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..