Jump to content
    Doctor Oger
  • Author
  • 495 Words
  • 1,043 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Wardrobe - 1. Light

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Some people don't notice. They have to be shown.

Light

 

With a tinkle and a buzz the naked lightbulb is flickering to life. While it is warming up and gaining in golden brightness, the chamber is gradually becoming more real. The whitewash is still actually white, but it has black and brown spots where the walls, ceiling, and floor are slightly damaged. Small and large chunks chipped off of them over the decades make the time it has endured obvious. These dark holes relieve the light and drain the cell’s brilliance somehow, make it less present. It is easier to miss the fact that it has no windows.

You’ve become old.”

My young friend’s voice sounds both awed and hateful as he mutters this into the room.

I eye the lightbulb and follow the cables across the ceiling and down the wall to the switch. I lean back against the wall and look at the boy’s back. He’s not moving.

Save for the lamp, and a shapeless bundle of reeking rags in the corner he’s facing, the cell is empty. And except for us both, of course. I knock on the heavy steel door.

He whips around and squints at it.

This looks pretty solid. And it has a good lock. How did you escape?”

His eyes go out of focus and he frowns.

I don’t remember.”

I nod slowly.

I hate doing this.

Old people are easy. Even children are easy. Accidents are okay, illnesses can be annoying, but stories like this get to me. I have to swallow a few times before I can ask him more. It is important to always appear calm to them.

For how long have you been out now?”

Um ... about ...” His eyes are darting everywhere and he starts chewing on his tongue. “Erm. ... I don’t remember, okay?!” He’s rubbing his head and staring into space with a slightly panicked expression.

Please try to. It won’t let you go before you do.”

The hinges creak, and with a pained, polyphonic squeal, the heavy metal door swings shut, and the loud rusty bang makes him jump and look up in panic. His horror-stricken face then is drowned in black as the light is dimming and going out silently.

Turn it back on! Turn on the light! Where’s the switch?! Where’s the switch, why isn’t it there, help me find it, the light!” He’s frantically groping and scratching at the walls in the dark. This is ugly business. With a hand on his shoulder, I turn him around and nudge him toward the corner with the silent heap of stinking cloth resting in it.

There,” I say.

What?” He approaches it blindly and uncertainly until his feet connect with it and it sags a little. It rustles softly, and with a crumble, his head lolls to one side, his large tongueless mouth with the dried puckered lips gaping up at me.

How did you escape?”

He stares at me.

You fell asleep.”

Copyright © 2016 Doctor Oger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..