Jump to content
    Doctor Oger
  • Author
  • 462 Words
  • 576 Views
  • 2 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dream Spores - 7. Forest Cathedral

/

At first I was following a boy and a giant on a path through a forest, and that became just me and a person I knew (but don't actually) crossing the path of an almost blind man (whom I actually know). I greeted him, he greeted back respectfully and told me something that I've forgotten now. But it's not important. Before us was a giant, cave-like structure. This forest was very tall, and this cave was right in the side of a mountain, with this broad path leading straight up to it, and it was very high-ceilinged. There was the skeleton of a cathedral in there. Just the frames of the high windows and doors, out of pale green-tinged grey sandstone, reaching up all the way, and connecting with the rock at the sides and the back. It was grown over with ivy and dog roses. The sunlight glowed through the plants and pierced yellow rays through the gaps. It was fascinating, impressive and beautiful.

At first it was nature. I mean, it was just there. And then I learned in passing, while still looking at the... structure... in complete awe, that I'd been made Colonel for my poetry. That felt strange. In the next moment this beautiful place was suddenly the venue for some exhibition, and two of my poems were featured on a card that they were going to hand out. The new one was titled "The Host/Gas" and was about poison gas and a waiter or something. I don't remember. It was bitter, very good, and my newest. The other one was one that actually exists, but I forgot which it was. A young woman talked to me and wanted to clarify something about my poems, or about my poetry in general, and as she was being all... busy in her mannerism, and I was just sitting on a small desk in front of her, she spread the printed cards with the names and poems out on the desk and tried to discuss them with me, it turned from a briefing into an interview without questions, somehow, which in the end she concluded with her slight disappointment in me. She said she always liked to... probe a poet or artist a bit, to sound them out at first, before deciding whether she liked their work or not. And I hadn't lived up to her wishes. Which amused me a little. Because she hadn't actually asked me anything, and secondly, that viewpoint is a stupid one.

So I turned my eyes and attention away from her and back up to the awesome open cave, and that's where it ends.

I'm not going to forget this very soon. The cathedral shell low in the flank of a mountain.

/
Copyright © 2017 Doctor Oger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Impressive...I have a vague notion that there is a Romantic-era painting similar to what you describe about the church...I'd have to search for it.

 

And you are right about the woman; art speaks for itself, or at least it should.

Link to comment
On 11/09/2016 11:52 AM, AC Benus said:

Impressive...I have a vague notion that there is a Romantic-era painting similar to what you describe about the church...I'd have to search for it.

 

And you are right about the woman; art speaks for itself, or at least it should.

It certainly had the mood of a Romanticist painting.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..