Jump to content
    DomLuka
  • Author
  • 10,087 Words
  • 5,824 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Other Side of Me - 4. Chapter 4

Thanks to jim for editing!

“Here,” Frank said, pressing a stone into the palm of Rudy’s small hand. “The flat ones work best. Try it.” Her small face scrunched up in concentration as she took the stone and tossed it like Frank had just shown her, and grinned when it skipped twice over the lake. Frank smiled at her success. “Nice one, Rudy. Wanna try again?”

“No. Throwing rocks isn’t that fun. My stomach hurts.”

“That’s because you’re hungry,” Frank informed her. “We should have had lunch by now.”

With their mother working during the day, Frank found that he wasn’t the best babysitter on the planet. He didn’t mind his sister, but she was odd when it came to basic necessities. She was one of those kids that needed to be reminded of everything between eating a meal and going to the bathroom before they left the house. Frank had enough trouble remembering those things on his own, let alone for someone else.

“Can we go inside now?” Rudy asked.

Frank nodded, looking towards the sky. It was overcast again, and he was beginning to feel claustrophobic. The clouds kept getting closer to the ground, as if they intended to crush him. “Yeah. What do you want to eat?”

“Soup.” That wasn’t a surprise. She always wanted soup. She liked soup.

“Okay, go get it out,” Frank said, and then as she headed towards the house, he added, “Don’t touch that stove.”

“I’m old enough to use the stove!” Rudy called back, rolling her eyes.

Frank sighed. He was right behind his sister, but not before his eyes drifted to where they’d been going for days now. The red roof across the lake looked farther every time he set eyes on it. The day he’d gone to town with David Martin, Frank had come home hoping to receive another visit from Oliver, but it hadn’t happened. Oliver hadn’t come the next day, either. Or any day, for nearly a week now. Frank hoped that he wasn’t in trouble. He hoped that David wasn’t in trouble, either. He’d been tempted to go across the lake to find out, but hadn’t had much of an opportunity to over the last few days. His mom had taken up employment at the ice cream parlor rather quickly--less than twenty-four hours after Frank had given her the message--and he’d been stuck watching his sister, and would be until her day camp reopened after a minor insect infestation. He didn’t mind watching Rudy, exactly. They got along well enough, and they’d made a lot of progress in the house as far as organization went. But having to be responsible for Rudy did prevent him from some things, especially paying a visit to the Martins. After Mrs. Martin blatantly told him to stay away, he didn’t want to risk a confrontation with his little sister in tow.

He shook his head at the situation and went to help Rudy make her lunch. It was fairly easy now that the kitchen was clean, and everything they didn’t use on a daily basis had been moved to either the attic or the storage shed outside, and there was room to walk just about anywhere inside. There was even space on the floor for a bowl of cat food. When David’s mom had started setting it out for the strays they couldn’t seem to get out of the house, he’d been opposed to the idea. But more recently, he’d found himself shooing the four cats he saw regularly in the house away from the door when they tried to go outside. He’d seen just how safe strays were on the other side of his door, and didn’t care for it.

After lunch he worked with Rudy in the garden she’d planted behind the house, if staring at the ground counted as work. His sister had planted a few seeds the day after they moved in, but wasn’t having much luck with growing them. She was becoming less optimistic about the success of her garden, and to cheer her up, Frank suggested that they go for a walk. He wanted to take her on the trail that led to the place where he met Oliver. He’d rethought the idea of turning the old building into a clubhouse for her. He no longer liked the idea of Rudy out there alone. But, at least they could do some exploring and pass the time before their mother got home.

To Frank, it seemed like a longer trip without his bike, but he was distracted from most of it as he talked with his sister about their new home. Rudy had seemed to adjust so quickly that it was surprising for Frank to learn that his sister was having as difficult a time with things as he was. She claimed that she couldn’t understand half the girls at camp because they talked funny, so some didn’t like her, and she missed how things used to be. She wanted to call her friends like their mom said she could when they got phone service. But, it seemed that she still had two more days to wait. Frank suggested that she write to her friends as he had done his second day there, but Rudy insisted a phone call was better. She was probably right, Frank thought, since he hadn’t heard back from anyone yet.

“Do you think Dad will call when we have a phone?” Rudy asked.

Why would we want him to? Frank wanted to know, but he didn’t dare say it out loud. He figured his sister was delusional when it came to their father. She was still caught up in the fantasy that he’d come back. Frank was always tempted to tell her that in reality, the man was the biggest ass who’d ever lived, but his mom had asked that he not say anything mean about their dad in front of Rudy. Frank had chosen to respect that for the time being. But he wasn’t willing to encourage the fantasy, either.

“I don’t know, Rudy. He won’t even have our number.”

“Mom says I can call and give it to him.”

“If you can get a hold of him.” Frank had gone through months of calling after their father had first left. He’d finally grown tired of constantly being told his father was too busy to talk, and the promises that were never kept. Now, he liked to think that he was over it.

“Maybe he’ll come visit. Do you think he’ll go in the lake with us? Mom says it’s going to warm up really soon, so maybe we can go swimming.”

“Let’s go this way, Rudy,” Frank said when he noticed his sister moving off the trail. Besides, he was ready for a subject change. “It’s starting to smell like rain. I don’t want to get lost out here if it does.”

Rudy turned up her nose to sniff at the humid air. “I don’t smell anything.”

“Let’s not get lost, anyway,” Frank insisted.

Frank led his sister to the shed, which seemed to be in worse shape after the most recent storm. She wasn’t very impressed with it, so they continued on, following another trail that Frank hadn’t explored yet. There wasn’t much there, either, except a curious raccoon that Frank had to chase off before it decided to follow them home. Nothing really interesting happened until they headed back home. Even before they reached the low bridge, Frank spotted a familiar motorboat near it and urged Rudy to pick up the pace.

“Is Oliver here?” Rudy asked when she saw the boat.

Frank hoped so. He would have settled for seeing either of the brothers. But Frank hoped that if it was David who’d brought the boat over, he’d see Oliver with him. But there was only one boy standing outside of Frank and Rudy’s house, and Frank was annoyed that from the distance, he couldn’t tell which one it was. As they got closer, however, Frank smiled to himself as he looked over the boy’s nervous stance as he fisted the bottom of his t-shirt and regarded the house anxiously like he wasn’t sure he wanted to approach it. Body language alone told him that he was dealing with Oliver Martin. The way the boy finally noticed them coming and grinned widely told Frank the same thing all over again.

“Frank!” Oliver waved, but as he went to meet Frank and Rudy, he seemed less animated than Frank remembered from their previous visits.

“Hi, Oliver,” Rudy said politely as they reached each other. “I saw your boat, do you think we can ride in it if it doesn’t rain?”

Oliver looked pleased. “That would be fun, Rudy. D’you like frogs?”

Rudy made a face. “They’re slimy.”

Oliver frowned. “There’s nothing wrong with being slimy.”

Rudy giggled. “Yeah, it’s gross.”

“Oh... well I’ve got a lucky chicken.”

Rudy made another face.

“What makes a chicken lucky?”

Oliver told her it just was, and Rudy began to ask him another whole list about the bird, but Frank wasn’t really paying attention to their conversation. He was looking Oliver over, not sure what to make of what he saw. There was something different. Like, Oliver seemed tired. Looked it. The circles under his eyes weren’t exactly dark, but noticeable because his complexion seemed pale today, even beneath the shadows of the clouds. His face seemed dirty at first, but upon closer inspection, Frank realized that it was as smooth as always, shining from the humidity, and the dark spots he could just barely make out looked like faded bruises.

“I’m glad you came over, Oliver,” Frank interrupted the conversation between his sister and their guest. He wasn’t really sure who he’d cut off, but no one seemed to mind. “I’ve been wondering where you were.”

“I was at home, Frank. I wanted to see you. So now I’m here.”

“Since Oliver’s here, can we play cards, Frank?” Rudy asked. “Last time he told me he’d show me how to play poker.”

Frank raised an eyebrow at that, but shrugged and gave his sister a nod. “Sure, if you can find the cards.”

“Come on, Oliver!” Rudy called as she moved ahead of them into the house.

Frank watched as Oliver watched Rudy, looking bemused. He patted Oliver’s shoulder to get his attention. “Come on, let’s go inside, okay? It’s a lot cleaner this time, I promise.”

Oliver smiled as he walked up the stairs alongside Frank. “That’s okay, Frank. I don’t care if it’s not clean,” he insisted, but when they walked into the cleared-out and organized living room, his eyes widened. “Wow!”

Frank laughed as he pulled Oliver into the house. “My mom’s working in town,” Frank explained. “I wanted to go see you, but I’ve had to watch my sister... are you alright, Oliver?”

“Sure, Frank.”

“Are you sure?” Frank asked, getting a little closer to provide himself with a better inspection. “Were you sick or something?”

Oliver cocked his head, like it might help him understand the question better. The corner of his mouth turned up in amusement. “I don’t remember, Frank. Why wouldn’t I be okay?”

You don’t remember?”

Oliver shrugged as his gaze shifted from Frank’s. He moved further into the room, and for a moment, Frank worried that he was going to avoid the question. But Oliver didn’t seem to have that problem today. “Sometimes I don’t remember stuff,” Oliver explained, and then added defensively, “but my mom says it doesn’t make me wrong, just different. I’m not wrong, Frank.”

“I know you’re not,” Frank replied seriously. “It’s just... well, you look kind of...”

Oliver frowned, and turned his head down to look himself over the best he could. “What’s wrong with the way I look, Frank?”

“Nothing,” Frank said quickly. “You look... you’re... there’s nothing wrong with the way you look, Oliver. It’s just, well, you seem tired. Or something. Do you feel tired?”

“A little,” Oliver admitted. “And my eyes have been hurting.” He suddenly looked concerned. “Do you think I’m sick, Frank?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so, Oliver. Look... did someone hurt you?” Frank had been afraid to ask the question, but managed to get it out, anyway.

“The witch that used to live here threw a rock at my head once.”

Frank sighed, and gently grabbed Oliver’s arm to lead him over to the sofa. “That’s not what I meant, Oliver. I meant... since the last time I saw you. Your mom seemed kind of angry when I took you home, remember? Did she...”

“My mom wouldn’t hurt me, Frank,” Oliver said somewhat angrily, and Frank was immediately reminded that while Oliver could seem childlike, it was best not to approach him like one. He seemed to understand more than he was given credit for. Maybe he didn’t yet understand the reason for Frank’s questioning, but he could obviously see where it was leading. It seemed safe to conclude that he didn’t like it.

“I’m sorry, it’s just... I’ve been worried about you. And, you look like something happened. You know if your parents did do something to you, you could tell me, Oliver. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

Oliver studied Frank for a long moment as he leaned further back into the sofa, and then smiled. “I know that, Frank. That’s why I like you.”

“So do you trust me then?” Frank asked. “Can you at least tell me where you’ve been all week... you said you were going to come back but never did.”

“I couldn’t,” Oliver said, looking sheepish as he lowered his voice to a whisper. “My mom and dad said I shouldn’t visit you anymore.”

“Why not?” Frank asked, even though what Oliver was saying didn’t surprise him.

“Don’t know... they don’t like me talking to people sometimes because people are mean... but you’re not, Frank. That’s why I wanted to see you. They wouldn’t let me, so I went out the window like David,” he explained, looking pleased with himself. “David showed me how to break their lock. They don’t know I’m here, Frank... I’m gonna be in trouble when I go home.”

Frank frowned at that. No he wouldn’t, he decided. Frank wasn’t sure what exactly was wrong with Oliver’s parents, but at this point he was positive that it was something. He had a sickening feeling that getting into trouble in the Martin house involved more than a time out and a missed dessert. He didn’t want Oliver to go back there. And, while that might not have been possible, Frank would do his best to keep Oliver with him for as long as possible. At least, until his mom came home. He could talk to her. She might think he was overreacting again, but at least Frank knew she would listen.

“Don’t worry about that, okay? My mom will be home in a few hours. I’ll ask her to talk to your parents and find out... we’ll see if they’ll let you visit.”

Oliver looked thoughtful. “Do you think your mom would do that, Frank?”

Frank smiled. “Sure she will... I’ll ask her to see if David can visit, too. Did he tell you I met him?” When Oliver shook his head, Frank explained how he’d met David the same day that he’d wanted Oliver to go into town with him. But as he told Oliver about the time he’d spent with his brother, Frank couldn’t help noticing that Oliver appeared troubled by it, more than anything. Frank almost felt guilty for that, deciding that Oliver felt left out because he hadn’t been included in the outing, but instead of apologizing for it, Frank finished by asking Oliver another question that he felt was more important at the moment. “Oliver? Where’s David now? He’s not in trouble, is he?”

Frank didn’t get his answer. Rudy appeared in the living room, excited over the deck of cards she’d found. It seemed to distract Oliver from the conversation, and Frank didn’t want to bring it up again until they were alone. In the meantime, Frank and Rudy enjoyed Oliver’s company, and playing a game of cards with him was a nice change from the isolation from anyone other than their own company, and the work they’d been doing to help their mom while she was gone.

Oliver managed to surprise Frank again as they played poker for chocolate chip cookies. Apparently, he was rather fond of the game, and had no problem explaining it to Rudy as they played in a team against Frank. Oliver, whose expression often said everything for him, turned out to have such a great poker face that Frank never stood a chance. But, he had fun, and laughed when both Rudy and Oliver complained of stomach aches when they ate too many of their winnings.

It started to rain, just as Frank had thought it would, but this time the storm wasn’t nearly as nerve-racking. It was only a light sprinkle, but the clouds turned the sky dark and the three of them set out around the house to turn on lights as a result. Oliver still seemed nervous every time he ran into a cat, and did his best to avoid them, which is why Frank made sure to chase the one hiding under the bed out of his room when Oliver took an interest in his computer.

Rudy was downstairs painting her paint-by-numbers, listening to boy-band music, and to avoid his sister’s off-key voice singing along with it, Frank hid in his room, stretched out on his bed and watched Oliver. Oliver was at an old card table, converted into a desk, and appeared fascinated with a game on the computer that allowed him to build cities, only to destroy them with natural disasters, or sometimes more unnatural disasters. Like Godzilla.

“Are places with this many buildings really that busy?” Oliver asked as he looked over the city he’d constructed over the last hour. “My mom says the stuff we see on TV is just Hollywood.”

“Sometimes,” Frank replied. “Haven’t you ever been away from here, Oliver? I mean, not just to town, but to... somewhere else?”

Oliver glanced over his shoulder to meet Frank’s eyes. “One time. I was too little to remember. We went to see my grandma in New Mexico when she died. That’s when I fell.”

Frank sat up. “How did you fall?”

Oliver ran his fingers through his hair, but they lingered there on his head, as if searching for something. “My dad said he couldn’t catch me in time. He feels real bad about that. It’s not his fault, though. I wanted to see the bird outside the window... I don’t remember it. But it wasn’t a lucky chicken, Frank.”

“You fell out a window?”

Oliver nodded. “Broke my head right open. Don’t remember what happened after. I didn’t wake up for a long time. But the doctors fixed me. Wanna feel it?”

Frank nodded curiously as Oliver continued to rub at his head when he left the chair to sit next to Frank on the bed.

“You can feel it everywhere,” Oliver said quietly as he tilted his head towards Frank.

“Does it hurt?” Frank asked.

“No,” Oliver replied. “But it’s like... I can always feel that the scars are there.”

Frank lifted his hand, convinced he wasn’t going to hurt anything, and hesitated only a moment before placing his palm over the top of Oliver’s head. The hair was thick, surprisingly soft. Frank found himself pushing it back before he remembered what he was supposed to be doing and found Oliver’s scalp with gentle fingers. It didn’t take him long to find what Oliver was talking about. In fact, it was difficult to miss, and Frank was surprised by the extent of the rough patches of skin beneath his fingers as he traced the lines. One was crooked, jagged and rough. Others were more precise, and if a doctor had been responsible for them, Frank was certain that it had been from more than one surgery.

“I’m sorry, Oliver,” Frank said, before he could stop himself. He heard pity in his own voice, and was almost afraid to meet Oliver’s eyes to find out what he thought of that. But, Oliver only seemed unexpectedly amused as he leaned his head heavier into Frank’s palm, much like those cats liked to do when they got his attention, Frank thought. Instead of finding it unusual, however, Frank continued moving his fingers over Oliver’s scalp, nearly expecting the other boy to start purring. It was when Frank’s eyes fell to some of the shadows over Oliver’s face and brushed his thumb over one, that Oliver suddenly flinched and pulled back. Frank lowered his hand slowly, not willing to let go of the other boy’s eyes as they faced him somewhat accusingly. “I don’t know what you remember, Oliver,” Frank said, “but I think something happened to you.”

Oliver frowned, and for a moment, Frank thought he was going to say something defensive. But instead, it was a look of extreme concentration that crossed his face as he lifted his hand to his face, gingerly touching at sore places.

“Oliver, what’s the last thing you remember before...” Frank paused when the sound of slowly falling raindrops outside was interrupted by a purring engine and tires moving over wet gravel. He stood, moving to his window long enough to look out to the driveway. There was a yellow truck pulling up against the side of the house, and having never seen it before, Frank watched curiously, wondering who was visiting. But, as his eyes focused on the image through the glass of the front windshield, it became all too apparent that this visitor wasn’t one he currently wanted to welcome into his home, if Oliver’s mother sitting in the passenger side of the bench seat was any indication. It wasn’t her that worried Frank, though. It was the large man behind the steering wheel, currently unfastening his seat belt.

It didn’t occur to Frank to think through his next actions as he spun away from the window and approached Oliver hurriedly. “We have to go,” he stated.

“Where are we going, Frank?” Oliver asked, obviously startled by his host’s abruptness.

“For a walk, I could use some fresh air,” Frank said as he grabbed Oliver’s hand and practically yanked him off the bed and out the bedroom door. “Couldn’t you?”

“It’s raining, Frank.”

“That’s okay. Come on, I’ve got a jacket you can borrow.” Frank rushed Oliver down the narrow hallway and to the back door, where he was quick about grabbing his only hooded jacket out of the closet and shoving it at Oliver. “Put it on, I’ll be right back.”

“But what’re you gonna wear?” Oliver wanted to know.

Frank smiled as reassuring of a smile as he could. “I’ll be fine,” he insisted, but didn’t feel that way when the sound of someone rapping on the door echoed through the house, over Rudy’s music.

“I think someone’s knocking on your door, Frank,” Oliver observed as he pulled on the jacket.

“It’s probably just the wind,” Frank said, earning himself a strange look from Oliver as he headed towards the living room. “I’ll be right back.”

Frank reached the front door just in time to keep his sister from answering it. He grabbed her tiny wrist and yanked her back, provoking a startled gasp from the girl that he simply didn’t have time to pay attention to. “Don’t answer that!” he hissed.

Rudy pulled her arm away from him, looking irritated. “Why not--hey! Frank!” He’d wrapped an arm around her waist, and with no explanation Frank had lifted Rudy’s feet right off the ground to rush her to the back door.

“What are you doing?” she demanded.

“Oliver’s parents are here,” he said hastily. He was better off simply telling her. If she started asking questions, Frank didn’t see how that would help anyone.

“Then shouldn’t we tell Oliver...”

“No!” Frank stated, and put her down before they reached the kitchen to place his hands on her shoulders and look her in the eye. “Rudy, we’ve gotta keep them away from him until Mom gets home, okay?”

Rudy looked confused, but not one to argue when her young mind sensed a serious situation, she simply nodded, and they both looked towards the front door when the knocking only got louder. Frank frowned. He was certain that Oliver’s parents could hear Rudy’s music, and they likely suspected that someone was home. He didn’t know if they’d have the nerve to let themselves in, and he didn’t want to stick around to find out. He ushered Rudy into the kitchen, where Oliver was still waiting by the door, having trouble with the zipper on Frank’s jacket.

“Get your coat on, Rudy,” Frank ordered, even as he lifted his sister’s coat for her and wrapped it around her shoulders. As Rudy pushed her arms through the sleeves, Frank turned to Oliver and zipped up the coat for him after a few good tugs. Oliver’s brows raised in response. He didn’t seem to understand what the big hurry was supposed to be about, but he didn’t really complain when Frank practically pushed him and Rudy through the door.

“I really think someone’s knocking,” Oliver said, looking back as Frank closed up the house.

“So they’ll come back, later,” Frank said, ducking his head, as if it would defend him from the raindrops now wetting his face and hair. “Let’s go this way. I haven’t been this way before.”

Rudy looked disgruntled as she held her jacket closed, but rushed to hold onto Frank’s hand as he led the way away from the house, making sure to avoid the yellow truck parked alongside the house, and Oliver followed behind them, seeming alright with the entire situation.

That was good, Frank decided. All he wanted to do was get Oliver out of sight. Maybe it was unjustified. Maybe he was overreacting in the stupidest way possible, but he wasn’t going to feel better until his mom arrived home and figured out what was going on for him. Until then, he simply didn’t trust Oliver’s parents. But, Frank was so focused on getting Oliver out of sight as they headed straight into the woods and up the hill that he’d completely forgotten that he was also attempting to prevent Oliver from seeing the elder Martins. Which incidentally, didn’t work out so well.

Rudy had slipped in the mud, and after catching her, Frank had decided to carry her on his back. She was still small for her age, but recently she’d grown past the point of being able to ride on his shoulders. Either way, he didn’t mind since she gave him a little extra cover. He felt like he was getting rained on twice, first from the water falling from the sky, and then the drops falling from the trees. He stared at his feet as he trekked uphill, unable to wipe the water running down his forehead and into his eyes while he carried his sister. He was so focused on distancing them all from the house and the road that he didn’t notice that Oliver was no longer on his heels until Rudy insistently patted his shoulder.

“Frank! Frank, look.”

Frank stopped, turned around, and froze when he realized that straight through the trees back behind him, the entire side of his house, along with the yellow truck, was visible. Oliver’s parents had come around the corner, and were talking in front of the vehicle, and not far off but still hidden, Oliver stood watching them. Frank put Rudy down and took a step forward, wanting to call out to Oliver, but was afraid he’d be heard. And then he didn’t have to call out.

Oliver suddenly looked in Frank’s direction, and their eyes met, but for Frank, he was facing something unreadable. There was no crooked smile on Oliver’s face, but there was no sign of confusion or anger, either. Frank felt like he was being watched like someone who’d been caught in a lie. Perhaps that’s exactly what he was. Oliver was insistent that his parents would never harm him, so Frank worried how he’d react when he figured out what Frank was doing. But when realization did seem to come over Oliver, he didn’t seem displeased at all. Just understanding. And better yet, he didn’t call out to his parents.

Frank released a breath when Oliver slowly backed away from where he stood, and when he reached Frank and Rudy, all three of them moved out of sight together. They continued on silently for a while. Frank didn’t know where they were going once he couldn’t see his house anymore, but Oliver picked up the lead then, and Frank trusted that he knew the area well enough not to get them lost. At least, he hoped that was the case, since he was beginning to regret not wearing a jacket. The rain slowed to a drizzle, and then died completely, but his clothes were wet now, and he was cold. Rudy at least seemed comfortable as she moved ahead of them every time she saw a squirrel.

With Oliver, Frank couldn’t tell how comfortable he was. It was hard to, when he suddenly felt like he needed to avoid Oliver’s eyes. It felt to Frank as if something uncomfortable was passing between them. He didn’t know if Oliver felt it, too, but Frank could definitely feel the other boy’s eyes glancing in his direction every so often. And they kept moving closer together, side by side, step for step. Frank didn’t know if it happened naturally, or intentionally, but the closer Oliver got, the more difficult the continuing silence became to Frank. Even Rudy was silent as she walked on her own.

“I’m sorry, Oliver,” Frank finally said. “I didn’t want them to take you home yet. I should have told you.”

Oliver didn’t initially respond, causing Frank to look worriedly in his direction, but it was only to find that Oliver was removing the borrowed jacket, and before Frank could ask him what he was doing, his was placing the warm material over Frank’s shoulders.

“I didn’t want to go with them, Frank.”

Frank sighed. “Listen, Oliver, no matter what happens, I won’t let you get in trouble. I’ll say it’s my fault, and I’ll ask my mom to talk to them. She’ll...”

“They don’t like to listen, Frank. They say it’s bad for me to leave. I don’t want to make them angry... but my mom always says, going out is getting in trouble.”

“That’s not right, though,” Frank insisted. “It’s not fair that you can’t do things just because... it’s not right, Oliver.”

“David says that,” Oliver replied. “David’s always in trouble. He makes my mom and dad angry.”

“Why? Because he likes to go outside?” Frank asked, feeling disgusted.

“No, Frank. I think he likes it.”

“What? You mean, getting in trouble?”

Oliver nodded. “David gets angry, too. He’s always angry, Frank.”

“With you?”

Oliver considered the question, and then shook his head. “No. He’s my brother, Frank. But he doesn’t like my mom or my dad. He likes to make them angry.”

“Oliver... is David in trouble now?”

“He’s always in trouble,” Oliver said again, and then asked Frank a question he never expected. “Do you like David more than me, Frank?”

“What?”

“I know he’s better,” Oliver said, sliding his hands into his pockets as he continued to walk. “David’s like me. But better.”

Frank nearly laughed at the notion, but caught himself.

“That’s not true, Oliver. The two of you are just different, that’s all. Besides, isn’t David the one always getting into trouble?” Maybe Frank was suspicious that some of that trouble was bullshit, but after meeting David, he did have to leave room that there was probably a reason for at least some of it.

“That doesn’t make David bad,” Oliver said defensively, obviously misunderstanding what Frank meant.

“No,” Frank agreed. “Look, I only meant that he’s not any better than you, alright?” Frank attempted a friendly smile, and playfully punched Oliver’s arm to get his attention. “You shouldn’t think things like that.”

Oliver’s smile was a slow, small one as they returned to walking in silence, and as Frank focused ahead on Rudy, he decided that maybe it was time for their conversation to lighten up a little. It was true he had questions, and he was concerned over many things regarding Oliver and his family, especially the current well-being of David. Oliver wasn’t looking great as it was, and Frank couldn’t help wondering if David was in the same condition. But, unless he wanted to turn back and deal with the Martin parents on his own, there wasn’t much he could do about it for the time being, except to enjoy the unexpected nature walk, despite the cold. Besides, Oliver’s curious questions had Frank wanting to reassure the other boy that he really did enjoy his company. But then, that became difficult to do when Oliver suddenly began to shout at Frank’s sister.

“No! Don’t go down there!”

Frank jumped at the harsh tone, and didn’t appreciate the way his heart froze in his chest when ahead of them, Rudy nearly lost her footing because of it where the land had been eroded to a steep drop. Rudy hardly had time to recover before Oliver had rushed her, grabbing one of her wrists with both hands to pull her back. She made a shrill, startled sound and tried to pull her arm back, but Oliver refused to release her.

“You can’t go down there!” he shouted. “Never do that!”

Okay! Oliver, let go!” Rudy demanded.

“It’s a very bad place, Rudy!” Oliver persisted, and Frank had enough when his sister’s eyes turned to him, seeming panicked.

“Hey! Knock it off!” Frank rushed forward, separating Oliver from his sister by moving between them where he placed two hands on Oliver’s chest and shoved him back, an action he didn’t put much thought into as he turned to face Rudy. “Are you alright?” he asked her.

Rudy nodded, seeming flushed and confused as she glanced past Frank at Oliver accusingly, and then down the drop, which Frank followed her gaze to. It was easy to see what had managed to grab his sister’s attention. Another cat. But, this one didn’t look like the wild felines that snuck through the cracks and into their house. It was more like someone’s pampered pet Persian, and was lazily watching them, its thick white coat practically glowing against its dark surroundings as it finally turned and disappeared into the brush.

Frank frowned, not sure what was going on. The drop was steep but not that far, and he doubted it led to anything horrible, except for maybe the lake. He could see water, likely another hidden cove. Not sure what was going on, Frank turned back to Oliver, intending to seek an explanation.

But Oliver had backed away from the siblings, and practically cowering where he stood, he avoided Frank’s eyes while Frank struggled to make something of the outburst, and then felt guilty for reacting the way he did. “Oliver...” he started, but was met with something akin to a wall when Oliver suddenly covered his face with his hands and turned his back.

“I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to.”

Frank exchanged a glance with his sister, each of them bewildered, but sympathetic.

“I didn’t mean to yell at him,” Rudy whispered. “He’s not gonna cry, is he Frank?” She sounded horrified. In Rudy’s world, boys were not supposed to cry.

Frank shook his head at his sister, gave her a reassuring pat on the shoulder, and then moved towards Oliver to approach him on his own. “Oliver, are you alright?” Frank asked. He didn’t get an initial response, and found himself reaching out to touch the other boy’s shoulder. Oliver didn’t flinch, but turned slowly to peek at Frank through his raised fingers.

“Are you angry, Frank?”

Frank considered the question, and then shook his head. “We’re okay,” he said, glancing back at his sister. “Why’d you get upset, Oliver?”

Oliver lowered his hands and shook his head. “We’re not supposed to go down there.”

“Why not?” Frank asked, looking back towards the drop. “It’s just water, Oliver.” He took a step forward, as if he were headed right for it, when Oliver suddenly grabbed his wrist the same way he had Rudy’s.

“Frank, no!”

Frank frowned as he looked back at Oliver, who was obviously disturbed by something.

“Oliver,” he said, becoming impatient. “If there’s something down there...”

“I just don’t like it, Frank. Please don’t go down there.”

Frank stared at Oliver for a long moment, trying to read him. His curiosity was definitely piqued. But, when Rudy came to claim his free hand he found that his sister suddenly looked as nervous as Oliver did.

“Frank, don’t do it,” she insisted. “I wanna go home now. Can we just go home?”

Frank sighed, and glancing between the two of them, he gave in. “Fine. Let’s go back. But slowly, okay? I don’t know if Mom’s back yet.”

Rudy nodded, and Oliver smiled as the three turned and walked back in the direction they’d come from. None of them saw the tall figure watching from a careful distance through a clear lens, and they didn’t hear the click of the camera as it recorded their every step until they were completely out of sight.

........................................

Jessica Seaberg did her best to stay composed, feeling way too much like the dozens of parents she herself had called into her classroom over the years to tell them of their offspring’s wrongdoings. Reactions were never quite the same when it came to parents, but from experience she knew that the majority usually experienced enough disappointment to never want to experience such a situation again. And unfortunately when it came to Jessica’s oldest child, she was not an amateur when it came to wondering what on earth he could have been thinking.

It wasn’t that he was a bad kid. In her extremely biased opinion, Frank was the greatest boy who’d ever graced the earth. Rudy might have been her baby, but then, so was he. When he was young, he’d been curious, rambunctious, and most definitely loving towards his family. And of course, at seventeen he still had a few of those qualities. But, at seventeen, he was also argumentative, too cool for his britches, and on some occasions, impossible.

Jessica considered taking off with his sister and a neighbor’s kid just to hide him from the kid’s parents, impossible. Not to mention, misguided and foolish. He hadn’t been thinking, obviously. And, he was most definitely in trouble. She’d just have to deal with it later since at the moment, she had her own trouble sitting right in her living room, and it was in the form of Oliver Martin’s worried parents.

This, is what she’d come home to. Not the hot bath and family dinner she’d counted on. No, Frank was definitely out to frustrate her. But, at least the house was presentable for visitors. She put on the best smile she could manage when she rejoined the Martins in the living room with the sugar-free iced tea they’d requested. Instant tea, the powdered kind. From what she’d already gathered from the locals, it was practically unacceptable, but it’s what she had, so they’d have to deal.

“I’m really sorry about this,” she said. “I’m sure the kids will be back soon.”

The Martins took their drinks. Mrs. Martin, who’d insisted that Jessica call her Mary, took one look at her glass and politely set it aside. Brian Martin, with his friendly face but standoffish attitude, took a sip and had the nerve to flinch. “They’d better be,” he said. “And I hope your boy doesn’t get Oliver into any trouble. Our son already has enough troubles without him adding to them.”

“Brian,” Mary said, in a scolding tone before she smiled at Jessica. “We’re sure they’re fine... it’s just, Oliver is a special-needs boy. He was never supposed to leave the house. We’d just die if anything happened to him, you see.”

“I know they were here,” Brian added. “Your boy must’ve snuck him out the back.”

Jessica had no doubt. “Look, Frank might have his faults, but he’s a good kid. There’s still a chance he didn’t even know you were here. I think we should wait and see what he has to say. Are you sure I can’t offer you anything to eat? It’s getting close to dinnertime, and...”

“We’ll have our supper at home,” Mary insisted. “I’ve got a roast waiting.”

“We’ll be telling Oliver not to come around here, anymore,” Mr. Martin said. “He won’t be bothering you. We’d appreciate it if you’d tell your boy to do the same.”

Jessica tried not to frown as she studied the two adults sitting on her sofa as subtly as possible. They seemed nice enough, she supposed, except that they seemed to be under the impression that her own son was a hooligan, and she didn’t like that at all. She considered them both for a long moment, wondering if she even liked these people. It was already obvious that Frank didn’t, and as she recalled what he’d happened to mention to her, she wondered if he was justified there. He certainly hadn’t been exaggerating when he’d mentioned that the Martins liked to keep a tight leash on their children.

“You know,” Jessica said conversationally, “I’ll be teaching at the high school this fall. Can I expect to see your boys?” Sometimes disgruntled parents simply responded better when they realized they were talking to a teacher. Sometimes. Not always.

The Martins exchanged a meaningful glance that seemed somewhat troubled to Jessica. But then, they’d seemed troubled since she’d arrived home and found them waiting outside of the house.

“We homeschool ours,” Mary Martin replied. “Like I said, Oliver is a special-needs child.”

“But he’s smart,” Brian cut in. “A real smart boy.”

Jessica smiled, happy to hear him at least mention pride in his son. “Well, what about David? Is he in school?”

Mary and Brian Martin sat across from Jessica, looking fearful of their answer, as if it would be the wrong one. “No,” Brian answered.

“Is he special needs, too?” Jessica asked curiously. “Frank says they’re twins.”

“No,” Mary replied. “Oliver and David... they’re not the same. David is...”

“They’re very close,” Brian cut his wife off. “David wouldn’t want to be away from his brother.”

“I see.” Jessica faked a smile. She was beginning to see what Frank had a problem with. Although, while she suspected her son simply felt that the Martins were overly strict, the teacher in her had concerns for the well-being of two boys who were being brought up in a questionable manner. She’d met Oliver, and while he wasn’t the kind of friend Frank usually brought home, he didn’t seem to be in need of constant supervision. As for David, she suspected that it had to be difficult for a boy his age to be kept away from other kids like himself. Not to mention, she doubted that either of them could be getting a proper education at home. “So, do you have a tutor for your boys?”

“I teach them,” Mary supplied.

“And she does a fine job,” Brian said defensively.

Jessica nodded, and addressed Mary again. Mrs. Martin seemed a little easier to talk to than her husband. “I’m sure you do. Oliver seems like a great kid. You know, if you ever need help putting lessons together... or any advice, well, I’d be happy to help you out.”

Mary actually looked pleased. It was the reaction Jessica was aiming for, so she made a point to ignore the suspicious look on Brian’s face.

“I really would like that,” Mary said. “I’ve been working with a few teachers from the school, but to have one so close by...”

“We’ll see, Mrs. Seaberg,” Brian interrupted, flashing a warning look at Mary, who grew silent quickly.

Jessica frowned. “It’s Ms.” she corrected him.

“You’re not married?” Mary asked.

“In the process of a divorce, Mrs. Martin,” Jessica replied. “My kids and I are here to make a fresh start.”

“Oh, then,” Mary replied. “I’m sorry.”

Jessica opened her mouth to say that there was nothing to be sorry for, but suddenly stopped herself. Perhaps playing the sympathy card would work the best on these people. “Well, it has been hard,” she said, which wasn’t a complete lie. “Especially on Frank, you know. There aren’t very many people around here his age. I think he was really happy to meet your boys. He’s only mentioned David, but I know he enjoys seeing Oliver.”

“I’m sure he’ll make plenty of friends,” Brian Martin insisted. “Other than Oliver.”

Jessica frowned, not bothering to hide it this time. “Mr. Martin, I promise you that Frank is a good kid. If he did purposely run off today--and I’m not saying he did. But, if he did, I believe that he at least thinks he has a good reason for it...” Jessica paused, sighing as she looked between the Martins. “It’s possible that Frank was concerned for Oliver. And I mean no offense, but, you have to admit that it’s kind of... unusual, for you to keep your children completely isolated from everyone else their age, and I’m not one to lecture, but I have to tell you that it’s not only strange, it’s also unhealthy. You can’t expect either of your boys to ever grow up if...”

“Excuse me,” Mary Martin interrupted, sounding as offended as Jessica had expected her to. “We are protecting... Oliver has special needs.”

“Yes, you keep saying that,” Jessica remarked. “And, I’m sure some of his needs aren’t those of other boys his age, but if your children were getting everything they needed, Mrs. Martin, then they probably wouldn’t be running off on you every time the opportunity presented itself.”

“That’s enough.” Brian Martin looked about ready to come out of his chair, he was glaring at Jessica so hard. But, she refused to be intimidated. “I’m sure you mean well, Ms. Seaberg, but my wife and I handle ours just fine on our own.”

“Of course you do,” Jessica replied. “And I’m sure it must be very hard with two teenagers. But let’s face it, kids will rebel, even those with special needs. Wouldn’t it be possible to arrange something for our children? At least that way when they see each other you’ll know about it. Surely, between the three of us we can work something out.”

Once again, the Martins looked to each other, sending silent messages. Still nervous, Jessica observed. Good. She wasn’t sure that she liked them very much. In fact, she was beginning to wonder if Frank was onto something when he’d voiced concerns over the Martin children. And she most definitely had concerns. Most parents wouldn’t react the way these two had when their child made a new friend. And, while she hadn’t yet met David, she questioned his well-being. From her personal standpoint, she felt that even Oliver could be in a public school, but could understand at least in his case, why he wasn’t. David, however, seemed to lead a bleak existence. There was no excuse whatsoever when it came to why he was as isolated as his brother, and at the moment, she blamed their parents for it. But, Jessica Seaberg had learned not to judge people on first impressions alone. She was certain that she didn’t have all the information. Whether that was because the Martins were hiding something, or simply hadn’t confided in her yet, she didn’t know. But, she was willing to listen. Especially, when Mrs. Marin’s next words managed to catch her attention.

“Ms. Seaberg--Jessica, please... We love Oliver, our boys. We know that most people would never understand...”

“What my wife is trying to say,” Brian Martin interrupted again, this time reaching for Mary’s hand in a supportive gesture, “is that we know what’s best for them. But what you need to understand, is that we’re not just doing this for Oliver. I assure you, keeping our children apart is what’s best for your son, too.”

........................................

“I don’t know, Oliver. Are you sure you want to go that way?” Frank asked, his voice thick with amusement. Frank could feel the other boy’s lashes flicking against the palm of his hands, which gently covered Oliver’s eyes. Oliver nodded at the question, and Frank could practically feel the smile on his face. “Alright then.”

Oliver proceeded ahead slowly, but not without Frank literally on his heels, acting as a human blindfold. Rudy followed behind both of them, not understanding why the two guys in her company thought any of this was very fun.

After Oliver’s outburst, Frank had sought to lighten the mood. Oliver had provided the opportunity when Rudy didn’t recognize where they were and asked if they were lost. He’d commented that he could get back to Frank’s house with his eyes closed, and Frank had decided to challenge him to do just that. So far, Oliver wasn’t doing too bad. He was at least going in the right direction, and seemed to be enjoying the game. On occasion he’d lift his hands to Frank’s, as if he wanted to uncover his eyes. Each time, Frank gladly removed his hands, but only so he could tickle Oliver with them, discovering that the dark-haired boy was most sensitive to such attacks beneath the ribs, and often burst into fits of laughter before Frank even touched him.

“Is it the right way, Frank?” Oliver asked as he brought his hands over Frank’s again, but this time held them closer to his face. “I can’t see.”

Frank laughed, guiding Oliver away from some bushes. “I know,” he replied, and then dropped his hands from Oliver’s eyes, even as Oliver continued to hold the left.

Oliver looked around for a moment, and then turned to Frank, grinning. “I know where we are.”

“I know where we are, too,” Rudy said impatiently, and walked off past both of them.

“Hey!” Frank called after her. “Get back here!”

“That’s okay, Frank,” Oliver said. “Your house is right over there.”

Frank looked in the direction Oliver had nodded in, and supposed that he was right. But, he still would have been a little worried about what his sister was walking into if a moment later, she hadn’t called out that their mother was home. Frank released a sigh of relief, but still hoped that Oliver’s parents were gone by now.

Frank turned back to Oliver and found that he was watching him silently. His hair was still damp from the rain and had fallen into his eyes, sticking to his lashes, and his mouth was quirked into an unsure smile, which faded when Frank lowered his eyes to where Oliver still held his hand. For a brief moment, instinct told Frank to pull away from the contact, but when Oliver seemed to pick up on it and began to let go, Frank only tightened his grip until Oliver met his eyes.

Frank felt something. He wasn’t sure exactly what it was, but he didn’t like the unsettling feeling that it brought to his gut. It was like feeling anxious for no apparent reason. He didn’t necessarily care if he was in trouble at the moment. He could handle being grounded. With his mom close by, the prospect of facing the Martin parents didn’t necessarily frighten him. It was something else. This place, he decided. The lake, the forest, the town, even the room where he slept at night--it was all wrong. He did his best to be helpful to his mother and in return she tolerated his complaints, because sometimes, complaining just plain made him feel better. He was adjusting to the changes his life had taken the best he could. But Frank wasn’t happy. He wasn’t really happy with anything. But then, Oliver was like the opposite of Frank’s troubles. Most of the time.

Frank didn’t want Oliver to go home. He didn’t want to be told that he couldn’t see him anymore. He wanted this friendship. It perplexed him, really, because Frank knew he could make other friends. But he wanted this one, and suddenly, Frank felt like letting go of Oliver’s hand would be like letting go of the few moments of peace that he’d had since his arrival. Even if there were aspects of Oliver that were anything but peaceful.

Perhaps, he was feeling anxious for Oliver. “It’s okay to tell me if your parents don’t treat you and David right. My dad didn’t treat me right... it was wrong of him to leave. He was wrong to me. It’s hard to say it, Oliver. But I do, because it’s true.”

Oliver frowned. “My dad’s not going anywhere, Frank.”

“Okay, but if he... or your mom, if they’re doing something else...” Frank paused, sighing when Oliver’s expression only registered confusion. It was what Frank found most frustrating about him. Oliver wasn’t an idiot. And yet, there were some things he didn’t seem to understand. Or, didn’t want to. Or didn’t remember enough to understand, Frank thought. He had the sudden desire to find out more about why Oliver forgot things. Why he couldn’t remember. He had a feeling that until he did, he’d run into this kind of difficulty every time he tried to reach Oliver. “Never mind... maybe we’ll talk about it later. Come on.” Frank gave Oliver’s hand a gentle tug, and together they headed towards Frank’s house. It was a good thing his mom was home. He needed to convince her to help him get around the Martins. And not just because Frank wanted to keep seeing Oliver. Now, Frank decided, he needed to see David again. If Oliver was truly missing important details concerning his own life, then it was possible that David was Frank’s only chance to find out what was going on. Besides, after seeing Oliver looking so poor, he wanted to see that David was alright for himself. Unfortunately, Frank had a feeling that dealing with David might prove to be more of a challenge than he wanted to admit, no matter what condition he found him in.

...............................

“I don’t understand why you’re so upset, Frank. I just spent a very miserable hour talking to the Martins on your behalf, and I don’t think it’s too much for them to ask that you let them know when you and Oliver are visiting. You still get to see him--you’re welcome, by the way.”

Frank had been home for less than fifteen minutes, but things weren’t going exactly as he’d hoped they would. It was true that he’d been pleased to find that the Martins were gone, and his mother was waiting for him--surprisingly, decidedly not ready to ground him on the spot. Although, she did have plenty to say to him about being rude to the neighbors. And even better, one of the first things she’d told both Frank and Oliver was that Oliver was allowed to stay for dinner. The trouble had started, when she mentioned that Mr. Martin would arrive afterwards to take Oliver home. Frank had been quick to voice his disapproval, which resulted in Rudy being told to go fold her laundry, and Oliver sent to Frank’s room to once again, borrow some dry clothes, even though Frank could have used them more than him.

Mom, you can’t let them take him!” Frank insisted, pacing the living room. It was an unreasonable demand and he knew it. “Didn’t you even see him? He looks...something’s wrong. I mean, it’s not as bad as earlier. I swear, he looked like he hadn’t slept in days.”

“Well, maybe he hasn’t.”

And it looks like someone’s been pushing him around.”

“Frank...”

“Something’s not right. I don’t trust those people.”

“Well, you can’t just go around making accusations like that,” Mrs. Seaberg replied. “Listen, Frank, I spoke to the Martins. Sweetheart, they might be a little strange, but I promise you, they love their kids very much. And, if Oliver says that they haven’t done anything to harm him than we have to take his word for it.”

“But Oliver doesn’t get it, Mom. I tried talking to him. He either doesn’t want to talk or he says he can’t even remember.”

Jessica sighed, and sat down, even though she felt like she should be standing just to keep up with Frank. “Frank, did you know Oliver had an accident when he was younger? It’s the reason why he’s the way he is.”

Frank frowned. He felt like he was going backwards. “Yes. I know. He told me about it today, alright? Just because he’s different doesn’t mean anyone has the right to push him around.”

Jessica smiled patiently. “Of course not. But, his parents told me a little more about that today, and if you’d let me finish, I think you might find some of it interesting.”

Frank flopped down into an arm chair and crossed his arms. “Fine. I’m listening.”

And he was. He was curious over what new information his mom might have regarding the situation. But since whatever it was came from Oliver’s parents, Frank found himself skeptical, and perhaps a little hesitant to accept it for fact, no matter how much it might make sense. He still listened, though. Waited for his mom to start talking, telling himself that he wouldn’t interrupt. She didn’t like it when he interrupted her. But, she never started talking. Instead, Jessica shot to her feet, the same way Frank did when they heard Rudy’s shrill scream coming from her room.

They exchanged glances. Frank was the first to roll his eyes. “Probably another rat,” he insisted.

Jessica still seemed concerned, and rushed to Rudy’s room, just in time to catch the petite redhead at the door. “What’s wrong?” Jessica demanded as Frank caught up to them.

Rudy’s eyes were wide as she pointed into her room accusingly.

“Rat?” Frank asked.

“No!” Rudy suddenly snapped, finding her voice as she looked at her mother. “There was someone outside my window!”

“What?” Jessica demanded.

“I was getting dressed!” Rudy continued. “Mom, he had a camera!”

Frank looked at his sister, feeling disturbed and outraged all at once before he headed towards the bedroom window.

“He what?” Jessica demanded, pulling Rudy into the hall, as if to shield her.

“Son of a bitch,” Frank muttered, looking out the window for any sign of the intruder that Rudy claimed was there.

“Now hold on a minute,” Jessica said. “Rudy, could it have been Oliver? Maybe he went outside...”

“Oliver doesn’t have a camera,” Frank cut her off, and as if on cue, Oliver came hesitantly down the hallway from Frank’s room.

“Frank?”

Frank didn’t answer him. Something near the storage shed caught his eye. Too distinct to be a shadow, too tall to be an animal. Someone was lurking, and as every protective instinct Frank had took over he bolted out of the room, past his family and Oliver, and towards the front door.

“Frank! Wait a minute!” Jessica called. “Don’t go out there!” She had protective instincts of her own, and there was no way she wanted her child on his own for this one, with no way to call for help.

But Frank either didn’t hear her, or didn’t want to. He was already out the door and rushing towards the shed. He paused when he reached it, finding no one in sight. He heard his mother calling him from outside now, but movement to his left caught his attention and he spun just in time to see the end of a black coat disappear into the trees. “Hey!” he shouted. His angry shout only alerted the lurker to Frank’s presence, and he moved faster. Frank gave chase, thinking about the only person he knew who liked to take pictures of people while they weren’t looking.

Copyright © 2010 DomLuka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Is it so wrong to wanna to save Oliver and David from their evil parents? I really like how you are working in Frank and Rudy's back story with their own less than awesome dad.

Great chapter even though it left me worrying now about Frank. :P

Link to comment

Oliver and David's parents really aren't good people, they say they know what's best but they are just messing their kids up the more they treat them the way they do. The encounter between Jessica and the Martins sure did point out that their strange attitude towards both their kids and how they interact with others.

Link to comment

I was hoping that Jessica would acknowledge something was wrong was going on from the way the Martins acted around her as she seemed to find it suspicious but they successfully made her believe that they are loving parents. Now she believes Frank is imagining things or overreacting when sadly at one point I thought she might agree with him. Now David is snapping pictures of a girl changing? He really worries me as I don’t like the path he’s on. Yes his family is cruel but I’m worried it’s leading him down a dark path. Peeping at his age isn’t that horrible all things considered but I still think he’s likely behind the cats being killed which combined with his dark attitude has me concerned.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..