Jump to content
    EmDee
  • Author
  • 1,210 Words
  • 2,746 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Glimpses (Ugly Davey) - 3. Dad

A glimpse of Tyler

Point of view: Tyler

 

The high-pitched wailing cut through the air and I startled awake, my heart thumping wildly in my chest. It took a moment to bring my fuzzy mind into focus before I registered where and from whom the wailing was coming from. I spared a moments glance at the alarm clock beside my table that read 4:36 AM before hurrying out of bed, clad only in my light cotton shirt and boxers.

 

I ran into the spare bedroom at the end of the hall that I had converted into a nursery. The cries getting louder as I neared the crib in the center of the room. The night light provided enough light to illuminate the crib and the tiny wiggling body lying inside. The cries were loud and shrill enough to put a banshee to shame.

 

“There, there, buddy,” I said, taking the crying bundle into my arms. “Shh,” I soothed, “Daddy’s here.”

 

Timmy looked at me with tear filled eyes, hiccuping slightly but continuing to wail. I gently rocked him in my arms, as I felt his diaper to see if it was dirty.

 

Nope, don’t need a diaper change.

 

“It’s OK Timmy,” I said, continuing to rock him against my chest but Timmy’s cries never quieted. I put a hand on his forehead and felt to see if he was burning up, but his temperature appeared to be normal.

 

“Shhh Timmy,” I cooed, but Timmy continued to cry.

 

I couldn’t help but feel the edge of panic creeping up onto me. Timmy was crying hysterically and showing no sign of stopping. My mind began to whirl at the thoughts of there being something seriously wrong with him. Maybe he was sick and I just couldn’t tell.

 

Oh god, I need a thermometer to make sure. No wait screw that, I should just take him to the hospital right away! They’ll know what to do.

 

I was panicking, and as though Timmy felt my distress, his cries got louder.

 

Shit! “It’s OK buddy, you’ll be fine. Daddy just needs to take a deep breath and concentrate,” I said before proceeding to take my own advice. I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders. I could freak out later, right now my son needed me.

 

I carried a crying Timmy into the bathroom so I could get the thermometer. Then I took us to my room and gently laid Timmy down on my bed so I could I take his temperature.

 

Once the thermometer beeped, I read the temperature and saw that it was normal.

 

“OK, you don’t have a fever. That’s good buddy,” I sighed with relief, once again taking the crying Timmy in my arms.

 

Nothing seemed to make him stop crying, even after spending a few minutes of rocking Timmy, making sure he wasn’t hungry, and triple checking that he didn’t need a diaper change. I was at my wits end.

 

Before I could even registered what I was doing, I grabbed the phone and speed dialed the first number.

 

"Hello," came the sleep roughened voice from the other end.

 

"Dad! Timmy's sick. He won’t stop crying. What do I do? I should take him to the hospital right away, right Dad?" I said all in one go, my words jumbling over one another, my panic definitely having returned.

 

"Calm down son," said Robert. "I need you to take a deep breath and tell me what's wrong."

 

"I already took a deep breath! Timmy's sick. I checked his temperature and he won't stop crying. What should I do? He's not even a month old, Dad. What if something is really wrong."

 

"OK Tyler. Panicking is not going to help or make Timmy any better. I need you to listen to me and do what I say. OK?"

 

I took another calming breath and agreed.

 

"First thing's first. How was his temperature when you checked?” Robert asked calmly.

 

“It was normal. His body’s not heating up either. Everything seems fine but for some reason he won’t stop crying. What’s wrong with him, Dad?” I inwardly cursed at sounding so frazzled, but I couldn’t hide it. If something was wrong with Timmy, I had to know. I had to know so that I could fix it.

 

“OK, has there been any changes in his diet, or behavior the past few days?”

 

“No, I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary. It’s like something suddenly went wrong and he just started crying. I don’t know what it can be.”

 

“I think Timmy may be colicky, Tyler. It happens, it’s normal. Timmy is specially susceptible to it since he isn’t breastfed. I’ve heard that that can increase the chances of a baby having colic.”

 

I listened carefully as my dad explained what to do.

 

“The best thing you can do is just let it pass. He should feel better in a few hours or so, but you should try swinging him in tiny jiggling moments, and let him use his pacifier. That should placate him. Holding him from his stomach should also help. Just be calm, Tyler. Try all of these things, and if you still don’t see a change, call me and we’ll go from there. OK?”

 

“Yeah, OK Dad. Thanks, I’ll get on it right now,” I replied, trying not to choke up. I was more than grateful for having my dad’s support. I knew I would have been lost otherwise.

 

“I’m so sorry for bothering you this early, Dad,” I said, taking Timmy to look for his pacifier.

 

A deep bellowing laughter came from the other end before he spoke up, “Tyler, having a newborn and raising a child is never easy. I promise you that I will be here with you every step of the way. You never have to apologize for reaching out to me for help. I’m your father, and now Timmy’s grandfather. Of course I’ll always be there for you.”

 

I smiled into the phone as I rocked Timmy like I had been told and placed his pacifier into his mouth.

 

“Yeah, Dad. I know.”

 

“You just take it easy and look after my grandson. I’ll drop by in a few hours to check up on you two.”

 

“OK Dad, see you later,” I said before hanging up.

 

After following my dad’s advice, it took only a while for Timmy to calm down. His crying quieted into slight snuffles, and then those stopped as he drifted off to sleep.

 

I sat on the armchair in the family room, the muted TV causing the dark room to glow. I watched those shadows play over my son’s face, still easily amazed that this golden haired boy was a part of me.

 

“I promise, Timmy,” I whispered to his sleeping form, “I’ll always be there for you just like my dad has always been there for me.”

 

I kissed Timmy’s forehead and then closed my eyes as I settled into a doze with my son snuggled up in my arms.

If you guys want to request a "glimpse" for a particular character and/or at a certain time in their lives, leave a comment about it in this discussion thread. I'll see what I can do. ;)
Copyright © 2012 EmDee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/18/2012 09:38 PM, intune said:
Poor baby Timmy, but that was an endearing scene. So much familial love :)
Thanks intune :D
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..