Jump to content
    Excuse
  • Author
  • 5,664 Words
  • 994 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seventeen - 11. Chapter 11

“You best had have a good explanation for this!” Frank spoke or rather growled as he passed his glare over each of us.

“I… but we…” I said looking for help, turning I noticed Jane had apparently lost her usual articulate voice, with swellings and cuts all over her face… she wasn’t the vivacious friend I knew and B! B was just kind of sat there… not really taking anything in, his head bandaged; I could barely look at him. “I got nothing” I finished looking down at an apparently very interesting speck on my sneakers.

“Right, all of you, just go to bed!” Frank commanded in a disappointed tone. “We will talk about this tomorrow!” He emphasized.

I was kind of glad that he wasn’t yelling, I mean he was god damned scary when he yelled. The veins in his neck would bulge out and you’d be able to see the pulse increase with every word. Yet Frank’s disappointment seemed to make the yelling seem more pleasant.

I hated disappointing people, especially family. I guess I’d rather be in the car going 110, from the hospital, with Frank slowly ticking like a bomb, waiting to explode.

As I passed Frank to go upstairs he took my arm in a vice grip. Oh god I’m in for it! I got Jane into this… he’s gonna kill me! I thought, I couldn’t look him in the face, and I half flinched as soon as I came to a stop.

Feeling his grip soften I half turned to see a slightly hurt expression in his eyes, even though his jaw was still set to “Sergeant kick the shit out of you” pose.

“In all the time I’ve known you… it was wrong what you did, you know that right? But.” He stopped apparently at a loss for words.

Ah shit!

“Just… Thanks!”

WHAT?

Noticing the confusion on my face he continued, “Thanks for getting ‘um!” He spoke in a low gruff growl filled with too many emotions to figure out.

I didn’t know what to say or do; I just sort of stood rooted to the spot.

“I’m glad you’re all ok” Frank finished, squeezing my shoulder and patting it he turned and walked out of the room.

Man! What, ugh!

I held the bridge of my nose, squeezing my eyes shut, I knew it was coming, but I didn’t want to cry. Everything was a mess, I didn’t know how to feel. I felt guilty and disgusting for what I’d done to the guys who’d floored B, but at the same time… Frank had been glad I had done it… I decided that I had been protecting my friends… but I still felt guilty.

----------

“This is for Jane

This is for B

This is my fight

This is vengeance,

This would be good….”

Those were the thoughts that ran through my head as I went to attack the guys that had floored Brandon. Nothing really seemed real at that point, as I stormed towards the car they were sat in, I was running on pure hatred and adrenaline.

Coming to the passenger side of the beat up car, I went unnoticed until I raised the wrench I held in my hands and brought it crashing down onto the windshield, shattering it in one blow. The two guys hadn’t seen it coming, they sat there in shock, glass sprayed across the car, panic rife on their faces.

“Fuck!” the driver shouted staring wide eyed at me.

“DRIVE!” his buddy screamed as I again lifted the weapon.

This time I swung it in a backhanded attack at the passenger. It connected first with the arm that he held in front of his face as he cowered from my attack… the dull thud and cracking of splintering bone… the bloody moan as the wrench crashed past his arm into his jaw. As the wrench connected with his face blood spewed from his mouth, as his head flew at an angle. He groaned seemingly dazed, as he again tried to defend himself pulling into the foetal position.

“SHIT WHAT THE FUCK! BRIAN? DUDE? ARE YOU OK?” the guy in the driver’s side screamed as he fumbled to start the ignition.

As the engine roared into life, the two sped away from my onslaught, I stepped back, and looking at the wrench in my hand I felt physically sick…

What the hell have I done?

“Oh shit” I whispered to myself.

I dropped the wrench to the ground as Lukas and Chris both tackled me, they grabbed hold of me and one or both began almost screaming in panic asking what I was doing. They dragged me back to where Brandon was still lay, with Jane sprawled across him, sobbing, her long blonde hair covering her face and his chest.

“Please God, please let him be ok.” I choked as I fell backwards into one of the twins, which? I wasn’t sure.

“Shit!” the other twin breathed as he ran back towards us.

Everything that happened after Brandon was bundled into the back of an ambulance was a blur, as I was transported with the police to the hospital. The only thoughts that passed through my mind were that Brandon could die, I might not ever get to say sorry to him, I might not ever tell him that his friendship meant more to me than anything else, what would I do if he wasn’t there?

The next hour was torture, after arriving at the hospital we were all seated in a waiting room. The police informed us that we would be checked over and that they would then take our statements. I couldn’t sit; I was too restless, pacing around the tiny bright white room. Jane tried phoning Frank to no avail, we weren’t told anything about how Brandon was doing and Lukas who had a nasty gash on the side of his head was refusing to be treated before any of us.

We were all checked over and given the all clear, although Lukas seemed highly irritable and barely let the nurses near him, still refusing a bed because he wanted to stay with us. Jane looked like she’d been fighting a pack of angry lions, cuts on her face, a swollen lip, I guess I didn’t look much better myself. Once we had been returned to the waiting room, Lukas turned to us and quickly told us to deny knowing the guys who had attacked Brand, considering neither Jane nor I had a clue who they were, that wouldn’t be difficult. Chris on the other hand looked uncomfortable, and that got me thinking something was going on.

“What do you mean? We don’t know who they were!” I stated, “Why, do you?” I asked pointedly, looking between the twins.

Chris remained silent and wouldn’t make eye contact.

“Look you assaulted those guys, pretty fuckin badly if you’ve forgotten… do you know how much shit you could land yourself in for doin that?” Lukas snapped at me.

I remained silent, although I wasn’t exactly thrilled with what Lukas had said, in fact I was down right pissed. Noticing the glare I directed at him and the way I ground my teeth he continued.

“Look we’re on the same side, I mean, I could end up in just as much shit! I cleaned the wrench of your prints and launched it!” He paused for breath “We rat on them… and were all screwed! ‘sides Mike and I can’t afford to have the cops digging around.”

He was right but I wasn’t about to admit it, I still hadn’t forgiven him for what he’d said and done that night.

We all remained silent until the police entered the room.

“How’s Brandon?” both Jane and me questioned immediately.

“We haven’t heard anything about Mr. O’Hara yet but I assure you the Doctor will be in as soon as we know about his condition.” The larger of the two police officers said.

“Now we’ve got some questions for you kids…” the second officer continued.

After about fifteen minutes of questioning, stating that we knew nothing, and receiving a lecture on the dangers of drinking we were left in peace as the officers left to try and contact Frank;

“We tried to contact your parents Mr. Moore however their cells are switched off, we will continue to try, the same applies to your father Miss. O’Hara.” The smaller of the officers said. Looking at the twins he continued “As for you two, your guardian is outside”

“Oh crap! I’m so dead!” I thought as they disappeared outside the room.

Looking across at the twins however I noticed an even worse reaction than fear of punishment. They looked outright scared; Lukas put his arm across his brother’s shoulders and said

“We gotta get out of here”

No doubt the fear of their dad coming to collect them was enough to send them running. They were halted however when Joey Mariatti walked through the door of the waiting room.

“Jo…” Lukas started.

“What the fuck? Who did this?” Joey asked looking at Lukas with concern. He then noticed Jane and me sat next to the two standing twins. “MOORE! You asshole did you do this?” He demanded, the veins in his neck pulsing outwards with anger, I shot up ready for the oncoming attack.

“NO! he didn’t “ Chris said suddenly finding his voice and stepping slightly between us.

“Wait… What happened here? Did you hit on some guy and drag Lukas into your shit, fag?” Joey demanded.

“Enough!” Lukas shouted and as he went to step forward his knees gave way and he fell to the floor.

“Lukas!” Jane shrieked as she dropped to the floor joining Chris at Lukas’ side.

“Get a doctor or something” I shouted at Joey as I moved to get to Lukas. “You ok?” I asked as I tried to check him over, not that I really knew what I was looking for.

“Let me through please” A frail looking nurse with a thick Irish accent said as she barged between us to reach Lukas. Once she had checked him over, and he’d stated that he’d just felt dizzy, she concluded that it was probably concussion and that she would get a doctor to check him out. She seemed to be stronger than she looked however when she helped him up and out of the room demanding he lay down in a bed. All the while stating she was too old to work the grave yard shift.

The nurse, who introduced herself as Irene, led us down a corridor. Helping Lukas on to a bed in an examination room she told us to not over excite him, that it’d be best if we kept it too only one person at a time.

“He shouldn’t need to stay much more than an hour” She’d told us.

Chris was the first one in with him, they sat chatting for a short time, and as Chris left he again refused eye contact with me. What have I done? Have I upset him? I must have done. He didn’t stop after he’d walked past me however… he just carried on down the corridor; Jane looked concerned, but turned and entered the room with Lukas in.

“Woah! You Boning my bro man?” Joey asked me, no emotion passing over his blank countenance.

“Like you’d care!” I spat at him. Woah! Where’d that come from?

“Well they’re both fine, I’m not needed. Tell the fag and dick-wad in there to be more careful next time, it’s a good job the old man didn’t hear the phone!” Joey spoke and turning he left down the corridor.

Seconds later Jane came out of the room, I was about to follow her back to the waiting room, but she turned to me and told me to stay with Lukas because she had something to do.

“oh, ok…” I replied and with that she bustled off down the corridor.

I paused watching after her, sighed and turned to enter the examination room.

“Hey” I said as I stood at the foot of Lukas’ bed.

“Hey” he replied looking me squarely in the face trying to read my expression.

“So…” I said looking at my shoes

“Look Brett, I’m sorry for what I said! I… I wasn’t thinking straight.” Lukas began.

“um” I replied at a loss as to what to say.

“I know it was wrong, but… you’ve really messed with Chris’ head… you’re hot and cold with him… he doesn’t know if he’ll be burned or be frozen out by you.”

I was confused, infact more than confused… I was completely lost and didn’t have a clue where any of this was coming from.

“It’s Brandon! Or are you too blind to see that?” Lukas pushed on.

I dropped my head realising I've made Chris feel unwanted, it must have been when I glared at him before I attacked the two guys, maybe if I explain I wasn’t angry with him, I was just protecting my own!

“When we found you upstairs with Brandon… all naked and shit… and when you came up to split us up and attacked….”

“Woah! No! I split you two up because you didn’t need to take him down!”

“See! That’s what I mean… you’re jumping to Brandon’s defence! He thought I was Chris and went to hit me and you still stuck up for him!” Lukas raged as best he could whilst keeping his voice down.

“He’s my best friend and you attacked him!” I countered feeling myself becoming more and more angry.

“It’s more than that! And you need to stop fucking with Chris!” Lukas almost pleaded with me.

I suddenly realised how much I was hurting Chris.

“I gotta go, I need to talk to him” I said as I strode towards the door, as I opened it I turned back to Lukas, “Joey's gone, if you need"

"I've told Chris to phone Mike" Lukas cut me off

I paused for a moment then continued "Thanks for everything tonight man! I’m sorry if I’ve been a jerk” and with a curt nod from the both of us I left.

Walking down the corridor towards the waiting room that we had originally been in, I hoped I’d find Chris in there. Half way down the corridor I heard hushed talking coming from around a corner.

“I don’t know where I stand!” It was Chris. He sounded upset.

“I know, come here” Jane said reassuringly, most likely moving in for a hug.

“No you don’t, it’s like one minute he’s this confident, experienced guy who acts into me. The next… he’s more unsure than I am… I honestly don’t know whether he likes me… or is just acting so he can… well… you know.”

“It isn’t that! I’ve known him a long time… and believe it or not… he isn’t sure of what he–“

“You mean he wants Brand but is settling for me?” Chris cut in feebly.

“Not so much, he grew up almost hero worshipping Brand…he’s always looked up to one guy or another… he used to speak with a British accent, I assume he was copying his dad, but when he started kindergarten I remember he was bullied for it… well more so because he was really shy”

Oh god why is she telling him this?! “We’d all gone to separate schools at first, so Brett had to go through it all on his own… it cant have been easy on him… being bullied never is.”

“I know” Chris whispered.

“Anyway Brand’s always been… well… excitable or loud I guess, and that helped make Brett the way he is today – he’s confident in himself… just not his sexuality… he’ll sort himself out, he always does. But looking back everyone must have been able to tell how much Brett looked up to Brand… he still does… I don’t know if his feelings are sexual…but you have to understand he does love him, he’s possibly in love with him… They’ve always had each other to depend on”

I let out a groan.

“And?” Chris asked.

“And he can care about more than one person… I can tell he likes you.” Jane continued very matter of factly.

“How?”

“Well he wouldn’t have come looking for you otherwise, would he?”

“Huh?”

Huh?

Jane rounded the corner with Chris, cocked her head and smiled.

“You two need to talk… you need to stop being afraid of looking weak.” Jane pointedly said to me. “and you… you need to understand that he’ll always care for Brandon… it all depends on whether you can deal with that” Jane earnestly spoke to Chris, placing her hand on his shoulder, she pulled him in for a hug and with that turned and walked away.

The next five minutes were spent finding a seat, coughing, sniffing, looking at our shoes; I even took to counting the stitches in the leg of my jeans. Anything but start a conversation.

“Fine I’ll start, Jane was right… I don’t want to look like I’m scared… but I am… I really don’t want to be –“ I started, but the look on Chris’ face shut me up. “Didn’t want to be gay – like… well… no… ok I’m not very good at this” I was becoming frustrated.

“I don’t want to be hurt, can you promise you wouldn’t just drop me for Brandon? Or any other guy that’s bound to be hotter than me?” Chris spoke in almost a whimper.

“Chris what do you mean? I think you’re hot” I said and began to blush as he pulled back and just ogled at me.

“Well you’re way out of my league, and DON’T deny it! You’re well… you! And Brandon’s on your level… I just look like some kid next to you!”

“No you don’t, you’re so fucking hot! And irrelevant of that! You’re the sweetest most cute guy I know!” Chris raised his eyebrow as I said cute. “What? You are! Besides you know what schools like, I only play soccer not football.” I chuckled trying to break the tension.

“But that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t choose Brandon!” Chris became more sombre as he changed the topic.

I looked down at my knees, took a breathe and prepared myself to tell the biggest lie I had ever told.

Just as I was about to speak, I was saved from denying Brandon when I heard:

“Brett, Chris?” Jane was calling in a hushed tone as she hurried down the corridor.

“Come on” I said as I grabbed Chris’ hand and pulled him up towards Jane.

“He’s awake! B’s awake!” Jane exclaimed excitedly as she dragged us both down the corridor.

Oh thank god! He’s ok! Brand’s going to be ok. I thought as I was being pulled down the corridor. Feeling Chris lagging behind as I pulled him forwards I was hit by a realisation Chris’ll think I’m choosing Brandon again, I don’t want to hurt him again, I need to sort this out, I don’t want to lose Chris because I’m pining over someone I can’t have, but I love him! And he’s awake!

“I’ll be down in a minute” I told Jane as I took my arm from her grasp, she just looked puzzled, I wanted to go with her but I needed to sort this.

I turned to Chris and smiled “Don’t you think we should finish what we started?”

“No!”

what?

I was completely thrown! Have I done something wrong?

“I think you just finished our conversation with that… you should go see him.” Chris smiled.

I looked around, but as I again looked into his eyes Ah fuck it! And I pulled him into a hug and he touched his lips to my cheek. It was a tender embrace which Jane had no problem splitting up as she grabbed my arm, and again dragged me towards Brandon’s room.

Wait a minute… is Chris ok with this? He must be… he smiled… and kissed me! I began to goofily grin as I thought that. But…does that mean he thinks I don’t love Brand? Oh man I’m so messed up…looking back as I rounded a corner, or should I say was pulled around one by the marching Jane, I saw Chris stood in the centre of the corridor smiling after me. He’s so fucking cute… I can’t let him get hurt again… I wont let it happen I thought and smiled.

“Ok guys, he’s awake, but I must warn you, he might be drowsy, he’s on some strong pain killers. He sustained a fairly severe concussion during the attack, there doesn’t appear to be anything of concern on the scans we gave him, but he is hooked up to an IV, to replace fluids. Whilst his injuries may look extensive… they look far worse than they are, they’re mainly superficial” The doctor said, as he prepared us to enter Brand’s room “We’ll be keeping him in for observation, his father is on his way and said that he’ll collect the two of you.” the Doctor smiled at me.

“Thank you doctor” Jane replied and turned to go into the room.

I entered Brandon’s room without looking back at the doc; I didn’t know what to say to him. As I looked across to see Brand lay in bed I wanted to just rush on over and hug him, he was pasty white and had a tube running into his arm, he looked over at the door as I closed it. As we made eye contact Brand actually blushed as he gave me a goofy sideways smile. He looks so tired I grinned back at him thank god it could have been so much worse. Walking across to Brandon’s bed I looked up at Jane who looked at me questioningly, I just gave her a reassuring smile in response.

“How’s it goin man?” I asked as I stood awkwardly.

“I feel like crap” he chuckled in a hoarse voice “Sis stop fussin!”

Jane was indeed fussing over him, fluffing his pillows, stroking his hair down, she looked like she was on the verge of tears, she was always so composed, it made me again realise how it could have gone differently, how I could have lost Brand.

“Oh shush you! And just because your all wired and bandaged up doesn’t mean your not in trouble for getting drunk! You as well!” she said pointedly “fighting of all things!” and then it happened the flood gates opened and she started crying, launching herself on Brandon clutching him in as gentle a hug as she could. “you idiot! Ever scare me like that again and I – I, Oh men!”

I felt terrible, the risk we’d all been in, I was just glad everyone one was ok.

Brandon started coughing so Jane jumped up again fussing round him.

“I’m ok… well my head hurts but its fine… just a sore, dry throat… what’d they do?”

“Probably pump your stomach! You were drunk enough” Jane answered.

I just stood and looked on smiling, I knew we had issues but it was nice to be together… everything could wait until tomorrow.

“Actually if I remember you were the one taking on three girls!” I spoke up deciding I wanted to see Jane smile. “Quite successfully I might add”

“Well I’ve got to look out for my boys!” Jane said very matter-of-factly. “None of this would have happened if Van wasn’t such a sla-“ and there it was… the one thing that made everything awkward again. All three of us were left silently embarrassed.

Do I run or stay? Run or stay? Come on think of a reason to get out…

“I need a drink, want anything?” Jane asked

dammit!

“No thanks” I replied glaring at her.

“So…” I started, Brandon’s head kind of lolled back and his eyes closed, he looked like he was falling asleep, I panicked at first but then remembered what the doc had said about him being drowsy. “Thanks for kicking those guys ass’” I feebly tried to start a conversation.

“No problem bud, you and me, like that” He said through tired eyes, crossing his fingers.

“Love you man!” I said without thinking.

He squeezed my hand and gave a lopsided thoughtful smile.

“I…” Brandon began.

“Dad’s here and he isn’t happy, I told him everything” Jane announced as she came back into the room looking apologetically at me.

Brandon’s face dropped and I felt a little sick with fear. We must have looked like scared freshmen – not that the twins were scared on our first day of middle school, Jane breezed in looking for girls she knew from her elementary, Brandon went striding in confidence personified, whilst I looked much how I looked at the thought of an angry frank approaching – nervous as hell and pretty much terrified. The towering lockers, the smell of industrial floor cleaner, every other student running about being really loud… It wasn’t until Brandon turned walked back towards me, wrapping his arm across my shoulder and dragged me in saying “It’s all gonna be good… if not I’ll beat them all up” he had grinned.

Once Frank had rounded us all up and signed Brandon out, to the dismay of the doc, we were marched out towards the car. As we were passing through the ER, I noticed the two guys from the car being discharged and questioned by the same officers that had questioned us.

Shit! I thought.

The officer turned around just as we were nearing the door, frank noticed me tense up and looked confused then towards the officers and two guys.

“Mr O’Hara, we have a few questions for you!” one of the officers said.

“We’ll be back in a minute!” the second one told the two guys.

Shit the guys had seen me! Oh man I’m done for!

“I don’t really remember anything officer” Brandon said as me and Jane gave each other worried looks.

Frank had walked up to the two guys who were waiting at the other side of the ER. He turned and looked at me, then turned again and carried on talking to the two guys. Luckily tweedle dumb and tweedle Dee – the officers hadn’t noticed Frank slip away, and he returned before they finished lecturing Brandon.

“Are we done here officers? Good! Come on kids lets go!” and with that Frank led the way out to the car.

“What did you…” Jane questioned.

“Poor guy fell down the stairs and landed on his face” is all frank said and then didn’t speak for the entire tense drive back to the O’Hara’s house.

---------

I entered the kitchen after Frank had left me alone, starting the kettle, I began rummaging through the cupboards, not really looking for anything in particular, as I knew where everything was kept anyway.

“Shit man! You made me jump!” I said as I turned from the cupboard to make a cup of tea, to see Brandon doing just that.

“Sorry” he smiled weakly, as he poured water into a cup.

“Here I’ll do that! You sit down… you don’t look too good!” I said, I could hear the concern in my voice, his face was still swollen and he was showing the first signs of a black eye. “everything alright? No nausea or anything?”

“I’m just tired man, I’m never drinking again though!” he said it so earnestly that I couldn’t bring myself to argue that people always said the same thing.

“Would you like a cup?”

“Nah…” he seemed to consider something, “I’m not a tea whore” he smiled goofily at me.

What? I was confused by what he’d said until I realised he’d aimed it at me.

I glared at him, but couldn’t help smiling as he continued to grin.

“I’m not a tea whore… I don’t even want to begin to work out how you can be a tea whore…”

“Easily…you drink around and never commit to one flavour you ho” he began with a serious countenance which grew progressively less so.

I cracked up and began laughing “Fine I’ll let you have that one.”

As I sat opposite him at the breakfast bar we settled into a comfortable silence, I sipped my tea and we shared shy glances at one another, both knowing that we needed to talk but not wanting to at that moment.

I looked up from where my hands were clasped around my tea cup and met Brandon’s eyes.

“I-“

“We-“ we each began to talk at the same time. I just smiled at him and he offered his hand out indicating I should speak first.

“I thought you really hated me B! I – I mean are we good again? Ive missed you man and I really want you to get to know Chris, you know? You’re approval means a lot to me… and like I’m not ready for like everyone too know, ya know? I mean have you told anyone” I babbled.

Oh god I sound like a right asshole! I’ve totally insulted him. I thought as his face dropped, his smile was gone, his eyes looked sad, their sparkling blue seemed dimmer than they normally were.

“I didn’t tell anyone…” He sounded almost bitter as he said it.

Why did I ask that? Idiot!!

I just looked down into my cup.

Fuck!

“I missed you too” Brandon continued quietly, with a slight smile as he stood, “I’m not feeling to good… think I need to go lie down.”

He really didn’t look brilliant… he was pasty and tired looking.

“Want me to get your dad? Do you need to go back to the hospital?” I said starting to panic.

I stood up and rushed to Brand around the breakfast bar, and put my arm around his back supporting him. I was so close to him, our sides were touching, our hips rubbing each other’s, I looked up slightly to meet his stare, at that moment as our eyes connected there was only Brandon and I in my world. The soft caress of his breath across my cheek, the cuts and bruising on his face didn’t diminish any of the beauty underneath. Both of our breathing picked up a notch, I was easily within kissing distance, my lips ached to meet his.

What am I doing? I’ll mess everything up with him… I can’t lose him!

But God I want him!

I bit my lip and as I was arguing with myself I felt Brand sway slightly.

“Ok hospital!” I said as I began to try and lead him out of the kitchen so I could shout Frank.

“No! I just need to lie down” Brandon almost pleaded.

I stopped and looked up into his eyes, “You sure?” I asked “Because if you get worse ‘cos you wouldn’t let me take you back I’ll kick your ass! You hear me?” I raised my eyebrows at Brandon.

He managed a weak smile and nod.

“Ok, come on, let’s get you to bed.”

After a ten-minute climb of the stairs we walked towards Brand’s bedroom, first passing the door to Jane’s and then into Brand’s. I crossed the room and pulled the sheets back, then proceeded to help Brandon strip to his boxers – I know what you’re thinking! Sneaky peak right? Well you’d be wrong, this was about me helping someone I loved and cared for. Once he was all tucked in I touched his shoulder and whispered a good night, turning to leave the room.

“Brett” Brand whispered.

“Yea bud?” I asked as I turned back towards him.

“Don’t leave me alone” he asked looking so weak and fragile… which considering his size and how he’d fought the guys earlier that night… well it didn’t bode well.

“Ok bud budge up” I said giving him a reassuring smile.

As we lay there in bed together I wrapped my arm around Brandon. We’d always been close, hugging, draping an arm across each others shoulders… yet I guess a little part of my was a little afraid he’d react badly especially knowing I was gay… but at the same time… I didn’t care, I was trying to show him how much he meant to me.

I lay there remembering how we had first come to sharing beds when we were younger. Brandon had wanted to knock a connecting door through between his room and the guest room next to his, much like there was between his and Jane’s room. When his Mom had refused Brandon decided that I would stay in his bed with him. He was so matter of fact about the whole matter that there was no room for argument… not that I had any. We had continued sharing his bed or mine when he stayed over until last year… our last sleep over had been before my 16th Birthday.

As I was reminiscing I heard a soft knock on the connecting door to Jane’s room.

“Hey… I cant sleep… can I join you guys” She asked with a small smile.

“Sure” I smiled back “I think Brand’s already asleep”

“I almost was” Brandon croaked, I could tell he had a small smile on his face.

We all huddled under the covers and I felt safe. I was with my best friends, the attackers from the start of the night were gone, I didn’t have to deal with any drama, Frank could wait till the morning, nothing else mattered because we were all fine and safe under the covers.

“I love you guys” I whispered as I began to drift of to sleep.

And just as I finally closed my eyes for the last time that night, finally falling into sleep, just as the sky was turning a grey hue, and dawn was approaching, Brandon whispered back “I love you too”

Copyright © 2011 Excuse; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..