Jump to content
    Excuse
  • Author
  • 2,167 Words
  • 1,010 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seventeen - 4. Chapter 4

Oh God, she knows! Should I deny it? She won't fall for it if I do, surely? Shit! What if she tells Brand? He'll definitely hate me. What if she... she must, or at least find me weird. I mean, how would you react to finding out your gay boyfriend fancies your bother? As I tried desperately to maintain my composure and look Jane in the eye, these thoughts raced through my mind.

"Uh um," I stuttered out, "I.. I, erm, I'm just going to the bathroom." I managed to blurt out.

Standing up abruptly to escape was a bad idea. I didn't see the bus boy behind me, and had little appreciation for where my bottle of water was placed on the table. It all happened rather quickly, so I'm unsure of what happened first. Whether I knocked the bottle of water over, spilling it across my legs and crotch, or I tripped the bus boy with my chair leg. Either way, I ended up wet and the table was covered in the day's half finished beverages. Jane let out a scream as she jumped back from the advancing coffee; and I just slumped into my chair.

"Dude, what the fuck?" The cute bus boy demanded.

I just turned to look up at him, changing my eyes as best I could, they flashed from miserable and nervous to fierce and ready to fight.

"Sorry, I didn't see you behind me, maybe you shouldn't have been so near my seat." I tried to be clever; whilst I could look ready for a fight, I really didn't feel like one.

"Whatever, man! I'm so screwed if my boss sees this. Guess you don't take any tact from the soccer field do you?" and with that the bus boy hurried off, I assume to get some paper towels. Two minutes later he was back and clearing the table.

I was still confused as to how he knew I played soccer, so I just glared at him. Jane, on the other hand, looked at him and giggled, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Hey... it's Jane, right?" he asked.

"Yeah, you look familiar. How is it you know my name, and I can't remember yours?" Jane asked, twirling her hair in her fingers.

"Because you're drop dead gorgeous and a guy doesn't tend to forget a pretty face..."

Oh god, they were knocking me sick! I couldn't listen to this; I mean we were meant to be going out, so instead of getting angry I actually did go to the bathroom.

I slammed open the door and walked to the sink. Leaning on it, I stared into the mirror, my face looked half confused, half distressed. It wasn't a good look, so I splashed my face and continued to stare hard at my reflection.

Ok we're not actually going out anymore; you're gay for fucks sake. Right, get yourself together, get out there and try and sort this out. I gave myself a silent pep talk and turned on my heel to return to the awkward situation I first [I'd just] tried to leave. Unfortunately, my new-found wisdom didn't last long.

"Do you mind?" I asked the bus boy pointedly on my return, staring him out.

"Sorry dude," and with that he had stood up and left, returning back to the shop counter.

Jane's face was stony as I sat down, and I couldn't decide whether or not to look her in the eye. Realising that holding her stare could cause death or actual bodily harm to me, I decided to look down at the table. I didn't know what was worse, her saying she knew I loved Brand, or her being seriously pissed at me.

"Why are you acting like a di..." Jane started, but bit her lip to silence herself.

As I heard her take a breath to calm herself, I knew I wasn't going to be slaughtered, so I chanced a glance in her direction. She was smiling sympathetically and patted my hand with hers as they lay on the still damp table.

"What I meant to say was, why are you acting like a jealous boyfriend, but I guess we can let this one slide," she said. Then after taking a sip of her water, a devilish grin graced her angelic face, and she continued calmly, "Next time, though... I'll beat you silly!"

"Sorry,"I said sheepishly, feeling embarrassed and yet still confused. I was used to acting like a boyfriend, after all.

"Oh! Don't worry, you can do something to make it up to me!"

"Oh?"

"Oh! Indeed! That was Lukas Mariatti," she revealed.

"As in Joey's brother? As in Joey from St Joseph's football team Joey?" I asked, glad that I had her distracted from Brand and me, I could lecture her now! I mean dating Joey’s brother! Joey was an ASS! And it would be such a betrayal to Brandon.

"Yes! As in Brand's rival!" What she’d just said seemed to bring her out of her smiling mood, and she seemed conflicted. "Ok, so you better make it two somethings, maybe three".

"What?" I asked, confused, not really liking the sound of it.

"Well, the thing is, this guy is really hot, as I'm sure you noticed” She gave me a tentative smile “and I want to try and get to know him".

"Right..." I said, still confused as to where this was going.

"Well, the thing is, when I looked up into his eyes I sorta, well kinda, ok! I swooned."

With that, I started to laugh rather loudly, again attracting stares from people in the shop. This earned me a glare and a swift and rather painful kick under the table.

"I'm only telling you this so you get why I now feel kind of bad asking you to do what I'm going to ask you to do," she said seriously.

"Oh crap, what've you got in store for me?" I chuckled mockingly. "I swear, if it involves bra shopping..."

"No, that's for later this week. Look, I know you like Brand, well love him, if we're being honest. But, well... I kinda need you to go on a double date with me and Lukas' brother!"

A long silence followed.

"Are you ok?" Jane asked

I’d gone into shut down; I felt like my head was going to explode at any minute, splattering patrons with brain fragments to compliment their choice of beverages. I don't even think I could think at the time; I was just so confused and didn't know how to even start lying or pretending, or how I actually felt, and... was Joey gay?

The same thought just kept running through my mind Am I ready to date?

"Brett? Brett! Ok, we're going back to my house," Jane said, obviously worried by my vacant gaze.

Thankfully, Jane drove, and after a silent ride to her house, we ended up sitting on her bed. This only further added to my confusion; I mean, an hour ago I was ok with being gay and Jane not being my girlfriend. Now I'm sat sitting with her on her bed and I'm thinking that we should be making out like a normal couple, and how I do love her. But I'm actually IN love with my straight best friend, and his sister, my ex girlfriend, knows. Oh, and now I have to think about my first gay date!

"It's ok! I won't tell him," Jane reassured me, breaking me out of my spiral of confusion.

I looked into her eyes, and at her compassionate smile, seeing Brand's lips. I knew I'd lost all chance of convincing her otherwise. After all, I couldn't convince myself anymore. After my earlier hesitation, not to mention the colour rising across my chest, up my neck and into my face, I knew I was caught out. I must have looked ridiculous, blushing and with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Jane edged closer to me, placed her hand on my cheek and wiped my tears with her thumb. Our eyes locked, and at that moment something passed between us, something so beautiful and powerful that it strengthened our friendship more than anything could. We both knew what we meant to one another, and it felt so right.

"Don't cry, baby. You know we all will still love you. Besides you'll make me cry! And I need to keep this make-up looking good, now I'm single!" Jane comforted me.

I closed my eyes, stopping my tears, and looked back into her eyes; I saw her warm smile and damp eyes. I couldn't help but smile; the thought of Jane needing to wear make-up was preposterous. Even at that moment, with mascara smudged down her face, she looked stunning. As we sat looking into one another's eyes, I reached my hand to cup her cheek, and as I moved in, our lips met in a tender kiss. The lips that were so much like Brand's touched mine in a way that was innocent, and we shared a simple kiss. The last one as boyfriend and girlfriend, but the first of many as best friends.

"Thank you," I said, smiling at her.

"So are you ready to talk?" Jane questioned.

"Yeah, cool. Want to tell me why I'm going on a date with Joey Mariatti?" I asked, chuckling at how messed up it’d be.

"Joey? Oh no. Lukas has a twin brother, and they're both supposedly transferring to our school."

"So he's Joey's brother and he's coming to Newton High, eh? I guess that's how he knew I played soccer"." I thought aloud. I deserve a scooby snack for working that one out.

"Yeah, that's how we got onto talking about school; he said he knew us both because Joey was bitching about Brand, and inevitably we were both brought into it," Jane explained. "Anyway, I kinda asked him on a date," she continued and blushed.

"What, so soon after we broke up?" I teased. "Looking for a little rebound action, eh?"

"Oh shush!" she replied, pushing my shoulder. "So I asked him out and he said he'd love to go out, but he can't make it this weekend. He said he'll be with his brother."

"Joey?"

"No, Chris, who just so happens to be gay! I don't think Joey approves... I mean it could explain why we've not heard that HE is transferring..."

At the idea of Joey transferring to Newton, both Jane and I burst into laughter. The very idea of the star quarterback from our rival school, transferring and having to join a team with his rival, Brand, was ridiculous.

"So your new love interest is busy, and what? You want to pimp me out so that you can get a little action?" I asked, partially offended, but mostly finding the situation funny. “Oh wait, though… what about tonight?”

“Oh Crap, I forgot about that!”

“Oh, so something IS happening?” I demanded.

“Your party… we decided to invite aload of people from school and stuff… do you want to go? Or you not feeling up to it?”

“I don’t think I’m ready to face them all yet… So I guess you’re pimping me out after all?” I half joked, half said in defeat.

"Exactly. You'll be going on your first date! Well, I say date; you'll be sitting with us... I didn't say you were gay... just said you had a cousin who was, so you’d be ok," Jane said with a grin appearing across her lips.

I, however, did not grin. "A date's a date! What will I do? I'll have to kiss him. How do gay men date? And I'm in love with Brand, were some of the thoughts running through my mind.

"You thinking of Brand?" Jane asked, trying to guess my answer by looking at my eyes.

"Honestly... not until you just brought him up... do you think it'd be right to go on a date with someone, when, erm, you know... I'm in love with B?" I managed to fumble out.

"Well, I guess only you know the answer to that."

My eyes obviously expressed my confusion at the answer, because Jane immediately knew I was nonplussed.

"What I mean is, only you know if you'll be able to give this guy a chan..."

Jane gasped and for the shortest of moments seemed to stop breathing. Looking up, I noticed her eyes weren't looking at me, but staring at the door, looking conflicted. Turning around I saw Brand.

What the fuck! Had he heard what I'd said? ran through my mind. And then I caught his eye. The look he gave me was like none I'd ever seen; he was angry, betrayed, and confused. I actually flinched; for the first time in 15 years of knowing him, Brandon looked at me in such a way that I flinched. I felt my world collapse as he gave me one last look and bolted from the room.

Copyright © 2011 Excuse; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Damn this just got way too complicated. I don't know if it's worse if Brand heard Brett say he loved him, or if he didn't hear it and thought Jane and Brett were just discussing a potential boyfriend.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..