Jump to content
    Excuse
  • Author
  • 4,105 Words
  • 1,168 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seventeen - 12. Chapter 12

OK! I suck, I suck big time! I've been so busy with university and other stuff, that I've not had time to look at Seventeen let alone post, then a week or so ago I finished editing chapter 12 and was in the process of HTML, when I got the blue screen of death... yep! thankyou windows! I lost everything. So here it is about 3 months late, again I'm sorry guys and gals!

oh and thanks to Tomon for the Japanese.

Frank had wanted to call my parents the next day, I however had pleaded with him to leave them to their romantic weekend. My reasoning of course wasn’t totally selfless, I wanted more time to think of a way to spin the situation, maybe convince Frank that my parents didn’t need to know. He had however insisted on letting someone in my family know, in case the police had gotten through to my parents, and they were worried. I knew they wouldn’t have, as I gave a fake number, but I wasn’t about to tell Frank that. So that was why he phoned my aunt, who no doubt told Laura who then had insisted on visiting me.

“Don’t get yourself into anymore trouble though eh?” He’d said as I was leaving, flashing me a stern look, before smiling.

As I drove up the driveway of my home I spotted a car pulled up in front of the house. Before realising whose it was, I noticed Laura, Aunt Julie and Dylan were waiting at the front door.

Oh no! I thought, I’d heard her reaction on the other end of the phone when she had spoken to Frank.

I pulled up on the other side of the drive, vainly hoping that Aunt Julie’s scowl would disappear by the time I reached them.

“Why’re you waiting outside?” I questioned.

“Cos Mommy forgot…” Dylan started.

“Because it would be rude to just let ourselves in.” My aunt hurriedly snapped. Laura scoffed and Dylan looked confused. “And because I forgot the key…” she begrudgingly admitted, rolling her eyes.

“Oh…ok! Well I guess we should go in then.” I said standing at the door.

“Well?” Laura asked laughing at me.

“Oh right! Yea!” I said fumbling with my keys.

“I’m not going to eat you, you know!” Aunt Julie stated seemingly picking up on my nervousness and snapping at it at the same time.

“Sorry.” I replied sheepishly as I entered the hallway.

“Right well… hadn’t you best go get showered and changed?” my aunt asked, not really expecting an answer, as she marched off to the kitchen.

“I’d rather find out what my parents told you to do with me…” I said as I stood at the foot of the stairs.

“Well,” she said as she turned on her very long, very expensive looking heel. “I’m going to be staying for the rest of the weekend, to make sure you don’t get into anymore trouble… I mean honestly Brett! Drinking? Fighting? Did you do drugs? You did drugs didn’t you? Heavens knows I was worried sick…” She began a lecture, I zoned out after the worried sick part. Wow she can talk. “What do you have to say for yourself?” My aunt asked fixing me with a steely glare. Man what crawled up her ass and died? Oh wait... I've apparently turned into a psycho.

“I’m sorry, I just lost it… I thought Brandon was dead.” I replied sincerely.

Dylan squeaked and grabbed his Mom’s skirt.

“He’s ok little dude don’t worry.” I smiled down at him.

“Ok, well go and shower and I’ll start cooking.” My aunt said smiling reassuringly.

I guess she feels guilty or something. Or she thinks I smell – she is really hinting at the shower.

“Come on Dylan; let’s go get started on dinner shall we?” Aunt Julie said taking Dylan by the hand. “Oh and brett! I’ve not told your parents, I think it should wait till they’re back in person”

“Can I have a cookie?” he asked as he followed his mom.

Laura grinned at me, and turned to go up the stairs.

“Well? Mom won’t tell me the whole story! Come on what happened?” She asked as she entered my bedroom.

Man! I felt like her whipped boyfriend following her up the stairs. I sighed and walked over to my desk and placed my wallet, keys and cell on it.

“Erm…” I stalled walking over to my closet to pick some sweat pants to change into.

“Oh stop stalling and come and sit on the bed!” Laura demanded melodramatically.

“Well Russian spies invaded L.A. and Jane and I were sent to their hideout to stop their evil plans!” I said in mock seriousness, before cracking a smile.

“Oh! Brett! You’re a funny freak aren’t you? Minus the funny. Real story please.”

I started to explain what happened, leaving out as much of the gory detail and just revealing the bare minimum. I felt like I was being interrogated.

“No way! You took a wrench to his face?” Laura asked shocked,“Well remind me to not mess with you again!” She burst out laughing.

“So you’re not upset with me?”

“No! I mean it was a bit… well… you took a wrench to the guy…” Laura said.

Ever heard the phrase “You could hear a pin drop.”? Well, it was that silent between us. I sat nervously picking at my nails, giving my cousin sideways glances, awaiting her reaction.

“Well…?” Laura asked.

“Huh?”

“So reckon you’re gonna be grounded? Because Sarah’s meant to be having a party later…”

“Oh no!” I said dramatically, standing and walking over to the bathroom door; the effect of standing usually shuts people up. I decided to close the door and turn the shower on for good measure; Laura however could be very, persistent.

“Nice try!” Laura said barging into the bathroom.

“What the?” I sputtered as I had just dropped my pants, “Get out!” I shouted hiding myself from view.

“We used to bath together remember? I’ve seen it all before, besides I ain’t looking!” Laura quipped as if annoyed by my indignation. “Now, where was I… Oh yea, party, not a big one, all the gang will be there, well your little gang, some of the girls from my year it’ll –“

“I’m fairly sure that I’m not allowed to any more parties, and with your Mom standing guar-“

“Oh don’t worry about Mom, I’ll sort that out.” and with that Laura smiled, cocked her head and walked out of the bathroom, turning as she got to the bedroom door opposite “Since when did you shave?”

“Shut up! Man I hate you at times!” I shouted after her as she walked in the hallway.

Ring ring my phone rang.

“Oh phone call eh?” Laura cackled as she poked her head back through the door.

Ring ring

I went to run into the bedroom where I’d left my phone, falling flat on my face in the process. Apparently running when your pants are round your ankles isn’t such a good idea.

Laura cackled wickedly and answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Yes this is Brett’s phone, and who may I ask is speaking?”

“Chris? Really?” She giggled.

“Um, hmm, well he’s on his ass at the moment wi-“ I managed to snatch the phone from Laura’s grasp.

“Hey Chris!” I spoke quickly as I placed the cell to my ear; I glared at Laura and mouthed, “Go.”

“Hey, erm… who was that?”

“Oh my cousin Laura, you’ll probably meet her at school,” Chris had confirmed that he and Lukas were transferring to Newton High, “so sup?” I asked

“Nothing, just wanted to check on you man, I mean is everything and everyone ok?”

“Yea, I’m a little sore, but nothing a hot shower wont fix, how about you?” I asked smiling to myself, until I turned and found Laura still in the doorway grinning at me.

“I’m ok, Lukas is fine, but I’m making him stay in bed…”

“Where you staying?”

“Where I have been since my dad kicked me out.”

“Mikes?” I asked, feeling a pang of worry and jealousy – he knew Lukas was selling drugs and he didn’t stop him… he seemed dangerous.

“I didn’t think you had a prob-”

“No, I don’t! I mean… as in, well it doesn’t matter.”

“Oh, ok” he replied a bit put off.

“Erm…”

“So what you doing tonight?”

“Laura wants me to go to some stupid party, why? You gonna give me a reason to not go?” I asked flirtatiously.

“Well…”

“Oh no! you’re coming,” Laura announced, “or I’ll make Mom force you to watch Wheel of Fortune with her all night. Anyways it’s more of a gathering than a party.”

“Ok apparently I have to go… you could come?” I had a brainwave, Laura kinda shrugged an ok.

“Erm… I think I’ll give it a miss,” Chris sounded uncomfortable “besides Lukas needs me to keep an eye on him.”

“I could try and sneak out tomorrow? I mean if I go tonight then Laura can put a good word in for me.” I proceeded to explain to Chris the “grounded” situation.

“Yeah that’d be nice…” I could hear a smile in his voice.

Beep

“I’ve got an incoming call,” Chris said. “It’s Jane, it’ll be for Lukas. Look, talk to you soon.”

“Bye.”

--

“So how’d you manage it?” I asked looking across to the drivers seat at Brand.

“I didn’t,” He replied putting emphasis on the ‘I’ “it was all Jane,” he pointed his thumb back at her.

“You sure you’re ok? And are ok driving?” I asked for the 5th time since he’d picked me and Laura up.

“I’m ok man! You worry too much.” he dismissed me, with a smile.

I rolled my eyes and turned to Jane, “So how did YOU do it then?”

“I just said it’d do Brandon and You some good to be around the guys, and that you’d only just made up and-“

Brandon tensed up so I broke her off; “So what he just went ‘sure thing go on out! Never mind about last night?”

“I told you I was good.”

“What about you?” I turned to Laura.

“Same as Jane.” she said, smiling back at me.

“Hmm” I mused “and you’re definitely –“ I began again turning to Brand.

“Yes, I’m fine! I’ve been sleeping all day, my visions fine, I don’t have a headache and it was just a concusion anyway! I’ve had worse injuries on the field man!” He again reassured me.

I didn’t believe him, I knew he’d not been as badly beaten as he was last night, he could have been killed, and I blamed myself. If I’d have stayed calmer I could have avoided the fighting, I kept telling myself that at least things were getting back to normal-ish, and I had three people whom I could trust to talk to now. Yet I was still feeling guilty - I could have gotten us all killed, that I could have killed the guy with the wrench.

“Well here we are, least we get to find out why the hell we ended up where we did last night!” I said climbing out of the car.

I turned to close the car door, and noticed that Brandon turned away to not make eye contact, I thought it seemed odd but I ignored it, turning to Jane instead.

“Reckon Jess will have a good excuse for sending our asses out to the middle of no where?” I asked.

Laura looped her arm with mine “She doesn’t need an excuse! She probably got the address wrong, I can’t believe you actually took directions off of her, what a dumb ass!” Laura laughed. “So are your boyfriends joining us tonight?” she asked Jane and me innocently.

Brandon still hadn’t looked back at us, he was walking towards Sarah’s house, where the “get together” was being held.

“What’s up with Brandon?” Laura asked.

Man she hasn’t shut up to breathe.

“We haven’t really spoken about why he was in the state he was at the party yet…” Jane started explaining to Laura, glancing at me she continued “and as for the boyfriend thing… I guess he still has to get used to the whole thing, I mean Brandon didn’t seem to happy when I said I was going out with a Mariatti, so you know I think Brandon needs his time and space.”

Jess was no where to be seen, I guess she’s being “fashionably late” Although her absence didn’t seem to be concerning any of our friends, nope! As soon as we all entered the hallway into the open plan house, everyone went silent and just stared at us.

Well everyone but Sam, he was still midway through telling Paul a joke, bouncing about animatedly ignoring or just plain oblivious to the silence.

“H-Hey” I smiled, trying to hide my embarrassment.

Brand was brooding, standing behind me like a bodyguard.

“Oh” Laura said, noticing the creepy silence, as she and Jane caught up with us.

Jane glanced about the room furrowing her brow and still no one spoke.

“So this guy really liked Tuna and his girlfriend wanted to please him, so she…. Hey are you even listening to me?” Sam asked in annoyance, nudging Paul.

He followed Paul’s unsure stare, and looked at us. “Oh hey guys!” He went to turn back to Paul but whipped back around to get another look at us. “Holy Shit! I didn’t know Jane was into S n M!”

Sam broke the tension, and most of the gang chuckled. Even I smiled. As soon as the laughing stopped though, the questioning began.

”Right come on guys what’s been going on?” asked Sarah.

”Yeah Rumours are going around man.” said Sam.

”People said you killed someone.” said a girl I didn’t recognise.

”With a wrench.” added the guy she was with.

”You slept with Van didn’t you?” laughed Sam.

All the other questions were fine by me but as soon as Van was brought up I felt my blood boil. Pure jealousy coursed through my veins, pulsing in my chest, my stomach writhed and somewhere inside of me a mean little kid tore the head off a teddy bear.

Fuck, I thought I was past this. I didn’t hear anymore questions but decided to put a stop to them.

”No one died.” Jane beat me to it.

”Yeah but look at the state of y’all!”

”So did you beat him round with an axe for real?” one of Laura’s friends asked – James. The two of them had a thing for a while. I wondered if that’s who she was seeing.

”Enough guys, seriously!” Paul said loudly to the group. They quickly fell quiet. “Can I get you a drink guys? Brett? Jane?”

”Errr sure I’ll come with you.” I said with as much “Thank you! You’re my Hero!” in my tone as possible.

”Brett can you grab me one please?” Laura asked, smiling at me.

”I’ll get you one!” James eagerly volunteered.

”No thank you, Brett will.”

I furrowed my brow and nudged Brandon to come with me. Jane followed, evidently not wanting to be interrogated any longer.

”No doubt the gossip queen’s gonna make an appearance and fill everyone in on the ‘drama’ with her much exaggerated version.” I said to Brand rolling my eyes as we entered the kitchen. He half smiled but then his stoney expression returned.

” Ok we got Beer, Coke, Water, Juice?” Paul offered.

”Why did your girlfriend send them to that party dude?” Brand interrupted sounding mildly irritated.

Did he just say them?

”Brandon!” Jane warned.

”Look I’m sorry dude I have no idea. She told me to go as well but I was hangin’ out with Sam and neither of us felt much like going. I coulda ended up there too.”

”Wait Jess told me on the phone Brandon, when did she tell you? You hadn’t spoken to anyone for days.” Jane suddenly questioned.

”She emailed it round or something. Just leave it.” he replied. He was lying. I could always tell because he thinks he should act normal when he lies and kinda does this weird hands in pocket lean back thing. Why would he lie though?

Jane sensed it too but I guess for the sake of Paul she dropped it. “I’ll have a coke please. And I think it’s best these two don’t have a beer.” she said pointing out the various injuries B and I were still nursing.

We went back to the Den where everyone was chilling trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. I don’t mean we hid behind trees and snuck back in, but tried to make as little commotion as possible. However everyone seemed to have dropped it as they were all back to talking animatedly about sports, couples and the fact we were heading back to school on Monday. Laura was sat in the lap of James confirming my earlier suspicions and Sam had Cheetos in his nose and was performing to a less than entertained Sarah.

“Hey Sam! Sup Bro?” I said approaching the hyperactive mouth-all-mighty before me.

“ブレット!;チェートスは面白いね!”

“…Sam you know none of us speak Japanese, please stop speaking to us in it.” Sarah sighed before moving across to go sit where Paul and Jane had decided to settle; Brand leaned against a wall, I guess just taking everything in.

“She gets pissy every time now. You can’t deny me my heritage!” Sam hollered across the room, his face cracking into a grin afterwards.

“Sam I think she, and everyone, would take your heritage a lot more seriously if you didn’t grin like an idiot everytime you demand it to be taken so” I said chuckling.

“I’d take your FACE more seriously if it had actually….been….” he trailed off.

“…Ok. Moving on, how’s things?” I continued grinning.

“Not bad man, just hangin’ around trying to forget we got school next week. You gonna join us on the team this year?”

“I doubt it dude, I just don’t have the time to put into it, plus I kinda enjoyed the break from a doing a team sport last year. Gymnastics is cool man.” I replied.

“Yeah, if you’re a girl from Russia!”

“When you can do a perfect back flip like me Sam, you can comment.”

“Well just think about it, I mean there’s gonna be quite a few spots open now that the seniors left, and we became the seniors. Whoah! We’re the seniors now!” It seemed to have only just occurred to Sam, I didn’t know whether to take his surprise as genuine or not

“Yeah I understand our school system thanks… Hey who’s that guy and that girl over there? I don’t know them, but they look familiar.” I asked.

“Who? Oh that’s Imogen, she’s friends with Sarah. I think they had math together last year. And you should know the guy!” Sam said shocked

“….nope sorry.”

“Dude, people say I’m the dumb one… that’s Imogen’s boyfriend, friend, dude Tom. He was at John’s birthday party? And he has a locker near Mr. Hunter’s room?”

“...but that’s where mine and B’s lockers are.”

“You’re serious aren’t you? His locker is next to Brandon’s. Dude you two need to stop playing ‘Mr and Mrs. Moore’ and pay more attention to the world!” Sam said, in disbelief.

My face dropped I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. Oh crap, I was gonna give it all away!

“Who are you callin’ a Mrs?” Brand said jokingly. Most perfect time to butt in…ever.

“Ha-ha, you know I’m joking dude”, Sam chuckled, “Anyways yeah, that Tom dude works with John.”

“Speak of the Devil.” Brand said turning to welcome John who’d just arrived.

“And just where have you been young man?” Sam said in his best angry teacher voice.

“Would you be surprised if I said at work as usual?” Paul joked. “Oh Brand can I speak to you a second?”

“Sure man.” Brand replied and they went to sit down in a quiet corner.

“Weird…” Sam said.

I silently agreed wondering what John had to say that we weren’t allowed to hear. However I didn’t get chance to dwell on it before I heard a piercing cry that no doubt sent small mammals within a 5 mile radius running.

“OHHH MAAAAAY GOSH I’M SOOOO SORRY!” wailed Jess in the doorway. She ran towards Jane to try and hug her but stopped when she saw Jane’s angry scowl. “I heard about what happened at the party, I really never meant for that to happen…” she began. I swear I could smell bullshit…

“I got told it was gonna be a party on the D L, just a quiet chill. I was on my way there when my car broke down. You know I’d have been there too, ending up in the fight and …you know looking how you do now…”she sobbed pointing at B. He looked up briefly before ignoring her and carrying on whispering to John.

“I’m just so sorry!” She wailed, putting her face in her hands and beginning to cry.

Paul got up to put his arm around her and started to lead her out the room as she sobbed violently. As she dropped her hands upon leaving I could see her face wasn’t wet with a single tear. Bitch was playing the whole room like puppets. But then why on earth did she send us to that party?! I started to stand, intending to find out but Sarah pushed me back into my seat before I could take so much as a step.

“Don’t bother Brett. Yes that was faker than Donald Trump’s hair, but trying to wring her neck anywhere near Paul isn’t gonna get you anywhere,” She warned.

I turned to get Sam to back me up but he’d gone off to chat to Imogen and Tom.

“Fine…” I sighed. I’ll find out though, when she least expects it. Mwahahaha…too much?

“How are you feeling anyways? You guys still all look pretty rough.”

“It looks a lot worse than it is. It’s not even sore anymore.” I lied. “Hey so Laura and James are getting pretty close aren’t they?” I added, changing the subject. I really did not want to talk about how facially devastated we all looked.

“…yeah I guess so. James is a nice guy. I went to middle school with him.” Sarah said, sensing me steering the conversation elsewhere. “He’s a nice guy. Although he’s dated quite a few girls. I’m not saying he has crabs or anything but keep an eye on Laura.”

“Ha-ha Laura can keep one eye on herself and one eye on the gossip that surrounds everyone she knows. I guess she blabbed to you guys her much exaggerated version of everything that happened with the fight, while we were in the kitchen, didn’t she?” I said rolling my eyes, partly at Laura and partly at the fact I’d just got back to discussing exactly what I didn’t want to.

“You should give her a little more credit than that Brett. She told us all not to interfere, especially about the rumours about you and Jane, again that’s none of our business, is it? Anyway she had your back, and if you need to talk I’m always available” Sarah explained with a smile.

I looked across at my cousin sat happily in James’ lap and smiled. After 16 years, she could still suprise me.

"Wait, what rumors?" I asked panicked.

"Erm... just that she was seen with another guy, someone said it was one of the Mariattis, but you know, none of my business" She held her hands up and then smiled "but I'm here if you need to talk"

---------------------------------------------------------------

“Thanks for what you said to the guys in there earlier.” I said to Laura as we walked back to the car. “You know stopping them from harassing us. It means a lot to know you’ve got my back cuz.”

“No idea what you’re talking about Brett.” She said, a wicked grin spreading across her face.

“What were you and John talking about all night Brand?” Jane asked.

“Oh erm…he just wanted to know…about practice for Football this year. He’s thinking of trying out.” Brand said, quite blatantly lying again. John had never tried out for the team as he had work during all the practices. There’s not a chance he’s trying out unless he turns into the anti-John and quits his job.

I guess I’ll add Brand’s lying to Jess’ on my list of mysteries to be solved.

-----

I didn’t really know what to say as I opened the front door of my house, Laura close behind me to see Chris sat on the sofa, my Aunt standing next to him.

“Chris?” I asked in shock.

“Help.” He replied sheepishly.

I turned to look at my Aunt staring at us, a demonic look in her eyes.

“YOU HIT A BOY WITH A WRENCH?!” She screamed.

Copyright © 2011 Excuse; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Having read the entire work so far, in less than a single evening. i can confidently say that i am enjoying reading this. the narrative flows very well. characters are being developed in a way that think suits this piece excellently. the plot it something i am very much taking enjoyment out of and its movement, and further development i look forward to seeing. Proofing and editing is very smart and adds so much to the reading experience. over all i look for ward with great eagerness to see what will happen next!

as we say in my country Bonza work mate!

Link to comment

Seems like neverending drama, so glad I'm not a teenager any more. Right now I just want to kick Brett's butt for being continually stupid. Can you please cotinue the story and end their misery one way or another :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..