Jump to content
    Excuse
  • Author
  • 2,325 Words
  • 977 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seventeen - 6. Chapter 6

"Morning, Dad," I mumbled stirring my cup of tea.

"Good morning to you too, son. Late night?" Dad chuckled as he sipped his glass of OJ.

"Guess you could say that..." I was still mumbling but I'd be fine after a cup.

"I think we'll just run today then." Dad decided, thumbing through the paper.

It was 7am on a Saturday, over summer vacation no less, and I, as always, was awake. This was normal and I was used to it; I was a morning person after all. However, after being awake until 4am that morning on the phone, I didn't want to be up and about. Chris was a night person, and we'd spent the night on the phone, like most nights for the past week.

As Dad and I sat in a comfortable silence, I was contemplating phoning Chris, just to wake him up. I guess I was starting to really like him. We were getting on really well, even though I was nervous and new to this sort of openness. Which was weird, because I could normally walk into a room full of strangers and chat with anyone.

We had spoken to one another nearly every night for a week after our incident in the car. Chris had really opened up and become more outgoing since our first meeting, yet he still seemed the more timid of the two of us. Nothing had been made exclusive, we didn't consider ourselves boyfriends, we were friends - friends who occasionally flirted. We got on with one another, had similar interests and tastes in things like films and music. We liked everything from the powerful beat and euphoria of hard house to the tantalizing piano work of Chopin.

The main difference between us was that I was usually confident, and could be loud. Chris on the other hand was an introvert as far as I could tell. However, although I was usually outgoing, I became a stuttering mess it seemed when I met him for the first time.

As I finished my morning tea, Dad rolled his paper up and swatted me on the arm, telling me, "We'll set off in 5. I'll just go get my running shoes."

On our usual route, running from the driveway down Edgewere Road, past the semi-mansions of the gated community, we headed towards the "conservation area". A small wooded region to the north, of about 1.5 square miles and filled with pines, gave us a perfect shaded area for our run. The shade gave a relief from the summer sun, we lived near the border between OC and Inland Empire, so we didn't run near the beach and sea breeze.

We were both pushing ourselves, I was feeling better than I had in the past week or so, and hence I was ready to win! Dad and I were always competitive when it came to sports - in a healthy way of course.

Huffing, Dad turned to me and asked, "So you're doing good?"

"Yea," I panted.

"Good, well your Mum wants to talk to you; something about babysitting."

"Cool."

"So you and Brand talking yet?" Dad blurted.

The mention of Brand, the image of his face that came crashing into my mind, the thought that I'd lost him; it all made me short of breath. I had to stop.

"Stitch!" I gasped.

My chest was locking up and cramping, I wasn't that out of breath, surely? No, it had been the thought of Brand, the shock of that sadness inside had caused me to halt in my tracks.

"You losing your edge, son?" Dad smirked.

"You wish old man!" I panted out, rubbing my chest.

"So you're just upset by Brand?" he asked as we continued at a slower pace.

"Yea," I admitted unwillingly. "I really miss him."

I was confused as to how Dad knew I was upset about Brand, but I guess he knew me better than I thought. Brand and I hadn't fallen out like this in all the time, I'd known him. Even when we were 14 and he broke my arm practicing a wrestling move, we hadn't fallen out. I guess Dad had guessed how much it must be affecting me.

"It'll be okay, kiddo; it'll all be fine in the end, and if it isn't, it aint the end yet."

"That’s so corny and clichéd Dad!" I replied chuckling, “Thanks though!” I smiled, though I knew all too well Brand wouldn't be okay with me, even in "the end."

"What's happened, anyway; can't Jane have a word?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Oh?"

"Besides, me and Jane aren't going out anymore," I let slip.

I went white, I hadn't meant to say that, Crap, how am I gonna explain this?

"Oh! Is that what you were upset about on your birthday?" Dad asked.

"Um..." I responded.

"S'ok, son; we'll talk when you're ready." And with that we continued our run, talking about football, soccer, and even college choices.

After showering and throwing on a pair of sweat pants and a polo T, I went downstairs to find that Dad had left for work. Checking by the phone, I found a note from Mom.

"There's soup in the fridge. I wanted a word before I went to work, but I got called in. Could you possibly baby-sit Dylan tonight? Page me to let me know. Love, Mom."

That was fine with me; I always enjoyed babysitting Dylan, and the note left me with a small grin on my face. Ever since Mom had gotten that pager, she'd use any excuse to get people to beep her. I guess I'd be staying in that night, which gave me the idea to phone Chris.

"Hello?" Chris answered his voice thick with sleep.

"Hey! It's Brett. You ok?"

"Hey, yea I'm good, thanks. Barely awake, though." He laughed.

"Lazy bum! I've been running already. Anyway, what are you doing later?"

"Nothing yet, why?"

"Well, I'm babysitting tonight; you fancy coming round?" At last I was back to my usual confident self.

"Erm..." he hesitated, so maybe I was a little too confident?

"I didn't mean to push you too fast, sorry," I apologised in a fluster.

"No, it's not that. I mean, yea it sounds cool," he replied. "So what time you want me there?"

---

"For fucks sake," I breathed to myself, as I became increasingly frustrated with my situation. I'd been in my bedroom for the past hour, rooting through a pile of clothing, examining each one, looking at myself in the mirror with it held in front of me, and yet I still couldn't decide what to wear. I carried on rushing through the pile I had created, until finally I decided on a pair of low rise ripped jeans that fit my ass perfectly.

Looking in the mirror, I checked my own ass out, as well as the way my broad chest tapered into my small waist. The band of my CK's was visible both at the back and the front, just above my jeans waistline; I pulled it and snapped it back hope Chris appreciates it.

"Brett! Can I play with your guitar?" Dylan asked as he sat on my bed. "I'm bored," he added almost decidedly.

I chuckled. "Now you know you're not allowed to play with it."

His face showed disappointment.

"But..." I continued, holding suspense for a playful tease as I reached behind me onto a bookshelf.

"But?" Dylan asked as he cocked his head to the side.

It was shocking just how precocious he was for such a young child; it was a quirk that I admired and that made the little guy more lovable.

"But, you can play with... this!" I said, pulling my gameboy from behind my back.

"YAY!" Dylan nearly squealed, his face lit up with the glow of excitement.

I smiled and ruffled his hair as I passed on the source of his entertainment.

Walking into my closet, I ventured to find something to cover my torso, although I was half considering opening the door to Chris in my exposed state. I guess putting myself in a role of control would have made me less nervous, plus he might like the view. Yet this was a problem as well as a bonus if he got the message that I was confident, ready for something more than that first kiss we shared. W ell, I certainly wasn't! And I didn't want him to think I was, for both our sakes.

"Are you leaving me alone tonight?" Dylan asked, peering over the gameboy looking aghast.

"No..." I answered slowly, feeling confused. "Why do you think I would?" I became concerned thinking he was feeling unsafe.

"You're all dressed nice. You taking Jane on a date? I like Jane" He smiled impishly.

"You do look rather suave, and far too polished for a night of babysitting." I visibly jumped as Laura announced her presence, strolling into my room. "Got something to make up for with Jane?"

"When did you get here, and how did you get in?" I asked in mock accusation, as I strode across the room to hug my cousin.

"I have a spare key, durh! Besides, I'm staying here tonight... maybe." She raised her eyebrow and gave a smirk.

"With me and Brett?" Dylan burst in, becoming excited.

"No sweetheart, I'm going to a party tonight, a grown up party, and I might stay there." Laura told her younger brother pointedly before he could ask to go also.

"Wait a minute? I look too dressed up?" I asked as I turned to the mirror.

Oh Christ, I do! I thought. I was wearing a white shirt; open at the top, with a pinstriped waistcoat over it. I looked good, just way too good for a night in; perhaps Chris would think I was trying too hard, or he'd feel underdressed. Ok, so I wasn't as confident as I thought that night - in fact, I was goddamned over analysing everything!

"Stop checking your own ass out. You're so vain. Jesus! Anyone would think you were gay!" Laura joked, a bright teasing smile plastered to her face.

Her smile slowly faded as she noticed my face blanch; Sometimes I'm so bad at lying. You know books? Yeah you can read me like one. She eyed me inquisitively and then broke the lengthening silence, which fortunately had gone unnoticed by Dylan.

"Vanity's a sin you know?" Her smile grew back.

"There is no sin except stupidity," I replied smartly and Laura spoke with me in unison, in a singsong voice, "Oscar Wilde."

We smiled at each other. Knowing that she had guessed, or at she at least had a strong inclination, her smile was reassuring.

"Come help me in the hall, Brett!" she offered.

I no longer felt nervous with her knowing; Laura was like the twins to me when I was growing up, except she was actual family. Despite her being able to bitch with the best, we got on brilliantly. She was fiercely protective of her own, which I guess made me lucky.

"So, you are gay? How long have you known? You and Jane still together?" Laura had burst out, managing to ask all that in the space of 2.5 seconds!

I just chuckled, at which Laura's eyebrows shot into the air; she wanted answers and my chuckling did nothing to dampen her thirst for them.

"All right, all right, I am, and I've known for a while I guess," I answered.

"A while? And you haven't told me? What about Jane?" she demanded.

"Well, Jane knows. That's how I met Chris," I let slip. I was immediately thinking "Oh, crap," as I knew a million and one questions were now on their way.

Laura kind of had a facial spasm; I think she was overloading on information and couldn't handle any more.

"What?! You have a boyfriend?" She proceeded to punch me in the arm. "And you didn't tell me about him?" A mixture of indignation and pride crossed her face. "I bet he's hot, right?"

I couldn't help myself; I just grinned at her, with a huge cheesy Cheshire cat smile.

"Yes, he's hot, but no, he isn't my boyfriend. It's a long story, and one that you, nor I, have time to go through," I answered. She looked dejected at my reply so I continued. "Look, why don't you come round for tea tomorrow? I'll get a pot out and I'll tell you everything."

"Ok, that sentence there, I should have known you were gay." She kissed me on the cheek and turned to head to her "engagement". As she reached the end of the hall and the top of the staircase, she turned and called out, "And since when did I do tea? Make mine a coffee and you got it."

"Laters," I called after her as I walked back into my room to find a polo shirt.

"It's 9 o'clock, little guy," I pointed out to Dylan.

"Bed time?"

"Yup, as always." I smiled down at him as I went to pick him up.

"Ok," came his answer, as though he was giving me permission.

I left the living room, where we had been playing Cluedo and Guess Who? and carried him upstairs. Placing him in bed in one of the guest rooms, which was for all intents and purposes his room, I knew he would soon be in a deep slumber.

"Goodnight, little guy,” I wished him as I ruffled his blonde bowl cut.

"Night, Brett," he yawned, feeling the effect of tiredness now that he was all tucked up.

I left his room and headed downstairs to tidy away the games, when the doorbell rang.

He's here! Stay calm, you can do this, I thought to myself.

As I answered the door I had no idea about what would happen only 10 minutes later.

 

As always, thanks to Kit for his editing, and Tom for encouraging me, to sit and write.
Copyright © 2011 Excuse; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..