Jump to content
    Frostina
  • Author
  • 989 Words
  • 1,319 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dancing in The Pale Moonlight - 1. The dreamy dancing

‘Dance with me?’

To deny him was not even an option. My entire being responded to his very existence. I would know when he entered a room, I could almost feel his want: whether or not he wanted me to gravitate towards him or slink out of the very establishment he graced with his presence.

Neil was a perfect gentleman; he never would even so much as lift an eyebrow if someone offended him. He simply didn't care about anyone else; no one but me! They were not his, not like I was.

‘How long has this one lasted?’

‘Three years!’ Do these people even know about the art of whispering?

‘No freaking way! Are they for real?’ Jealous, much?

‘Who knows Neil well enough to know that?’

They weren’t even whispers anymore. They were full-fledged discussions these days. Anywhere and everywhere I was spotted, with or without Neil, I could feel the inquisitive eyes boring into the back of my skull. I could almost see the questions leaping out of their unopened mouths.

‘Who invited these people?’ My frustration got the better of me and I felt Neil’s arm tighten around my waist and his jaw twitch, just a little.

‘Why do you care to listen, my sweet?’ His voice, ever so smooth, somehow failed to calm me this time. ‘People will talk, you know that.’

ALL the freaking time?’ I whispered; leaning forward into his warm embrace and resting my head on his shoulder.

‘You care too much,’ he said shaking his head. ‘Come on.’

Taking my arm he led our way out of the room. ‘Do you need your coat?’ he said just as I was about to enquire why we’d paused in the foyer.

‘Do I?’ I asked distractedly.

The people on the room were staring... no, ogling him, rather, the pair of us. They tended to make me jealous often with the amount of fawning they did over him, but this time I wanted to smirk. I was the on his arm, and I was the one he wanted seclusion with.

‘I don’t think so. It’s not too chilly outside.’ And he smiled. His smile: the smile that million girls would kill for, the one that endless guys would duel for, just to be on the receiving end of. The one where his blue eyes sparked and his eyes crinkled at the corners, it was a genuine smile.

My heart sped up at the sight; three years and he still did that to me. But, it was only because it was more than a thousand days in his presence that I could identify when he was really, truly happy.

‘Careful! Watch the stairs.’ His tone was light, and his right hand made his way around my shoulders, gripping it, as he pulled me closer to his side. I was his!

I blushed at the slight reprimand. I’d been so mesmerised by his face that I hadn’t even noticed when he led me out of the house.

‘It is a beautiful evening.’ I couldn’t help feel elated as I saw where he was leading me to. The small canopied piece of garden, to the right of the driveway, the one that looked as if it was straight out of “The Sound of Music”, was where we had our first dance, out first kiss. It was also where he’d gone down on one knee asking me to be a part of his life “...till death did us part”.

Closing the glass doors behind us, we hummed our own tune as we danced to the music of our hearts.

I smiled.

This time when his arms tightened around me, my eyes closed, I leaned forward again, smiling, eager. I raised my face to his, welcoming his lips on mine. My entire body felt his want, and it responded. Pliant, co-operative, I moved as I knew he wanted me to, as I had learned he liked. My grip on his shoulder tightening as I felt his passionate nip on my lip: the saltiness was familiar, somewhat comforting too... mostly. It was the unsaid words of encouragement. It was my reward; it was what I wanted. What he knew I wanted.

It was HIM, all him! All over me, around me. Loving me like no other, wanting me like no one has ever wanted anyone before. And all without missing a single step in the dance... we were still dancing.

 

The timid knock on glass wrenched my unwilling eyes open, my entire body protesting to such a small effort.

‘What?’ The word was more of an annoyed whisper. Or was it an unintelligible croak?

‘Do you need some water, sir?’

The voice was unfamiliar, and the night was dark. Besides, I didn't really want the vice grips on my chest tightening any further. I could feel what Neil wanted, and I knew I would be the one paying the price if the unwanted visitor didn't go away, and right then!

‘No!’ The whisper was urgent I tried to make some sort of gesture to the man at the door.

My hand was restrained. ‘What the...’ I struggled. This was unusual!

It wasn’t Neil’s hands that did it. It was some sort of... bandage?

‘What?’ I turned my head to the figure; pain lancing through me at the effort.

‘Don't move!’ A man, doctor, gently ordered from near the door.

Flipping the light switch on, he smiled at me.

It was then when the recognition dawned. I laughed out loud.

‘Happy one this time?’ Robert Weiss, the doctor, pulled up the plastic chair and sat himself beside the bed.

‘The best one!’ I smiled wistfully. After all of this, after everything, I still wanted him to remain mine.

‘What was it about?’ Robert spooned some cool water in my parched mouth before settling down again.

‘I was dancing with the Devil in the pale Moonlight.’

I would love to know your thoughts. :) thanks in advance!
Copyright © 2011 Frostina; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Intense! Very well imagined and really original. Leaves you wondering at the end - a great thing for a short story. You've got talent. :)

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 01:27 AM, carringtonrj said:
Intense! Very well imagined and really original. Leaves you wondering at the end - a great thing for a short story. You've got talent. :)
:hug: thank you! you're too good at the compliments :*) oh and, it's my turn to ask... what are you wondering about? :D
Link to comment

Very nice surprise! I knew you couldn't let it end happily, but it's sort of happy (in the sense that the MC is happy remembering). Good job :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 02:20 AM, jian_sierra said:
Very nice surprise! I knew you couldn't let it end happily, but it's sort of happy (in the sense that the MC is happy remembering). Good job :2thumbs:
It is *not* a tragic end, at least, right? :P:hug: thanks for the R&R, J! ^_^ glad you like it.
Link to comment

Very tight. Gripping. You have structure here and I mean going from an action scene, immediately into the sequel, also an action scene. I'm betting, that if there is more, the next scene will be a sequel, which relies on more truths emerging. At the end I asked myself, what kind of hospital is the narrator in? is it important at this stage? I ask, is this a science fiction story where dreams are articulated thru a device of some sort? You allowed me to use my imagination and really thin where you might be headed. It stands ready as flash fiction, and the twist at the end is told in an almosty apologetic way.

 

I like the ideas and images here. You skip the aesthetics and dive directly into the story. Maybe its a guy going through hypnosis? I think that the denouement is the hook to this story as it stands. A quick, makes you think, tome. I Like. Thanks for making music with your words.

 

guitar.gif

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 05:34 AM, LJH said:
Very tight. Gripping. You have structure here and I mean going from an action scene, immediately into the sequel, also an action scene. I'm betting, that if there is more, the next scene will be a sequel, which relies on more truths emerging. At the end I asked myself, what kind of hospital is the narrator in? is it important at this stage? I ask, is this a science fiction story where dreams are articulated thru a device of some sort? You allowed me to use my imagination and really thin where you might be headed. It stands ready as flash fiction, and the twist at the end is told in an almosty apologetic way.

 

I like the ideas and images here. You skip the aesthetics and dive directly into the story. Maybe its a guy going through hypnosis? I think that the denouement is the hook to this story as it stands. A quick, makes you think, tome. I Like. Thanks for making music with your words.

 

guitar.gif

 

:D WOW! :*) Thanks for the R&R Louis! i am sooo glad that the images were clear. I 'saw' the scenes in my head when it was happening and its good to know that it translated! :) I am pretty sure this is just a lone standing piece of work. the qustions you asked are all answered in my head, and i am sooo not going to answer them. It's upto you to fill in those blanks. Just one... It's not anything Sci-fi, or even a psych facility, It's just a regular hospital. :D;) cheers!
Link to comment

Well Frosty left wondering what happened here. Is she recovering from something or is she in a psych ward? Twisted little mind you have there Frosty. Glad to see you back in action.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 10:42 AM, comicfan said:
Well Frosty left wondering what happened here. Is she recovering from something or is she in a psych ward? Twisted little mind you have there Frosty. Glad to see you back in action.
what you said... OR he might have been JUST dreaming! ;) Or remembering his past... who knows! (I do, but not telling! :P )
Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 03:23 PM, adamo said:
I'm completely captivated. I wish it wasn't a short story!
Thank you! :D In my eyes, that's the beauty of shorter pieces.:) always leaves us wanting more! :P Thanks for the review and, this one is not going to be continued, so... maybe you'll like the next one. :)
Link to comment

That was captivating. Your words flow like poetry. At first I thought he was dancing with Death. Three years is a long time, I wonder if he’s been locked up that long or that’s how long he’s been in love with the Devil. You give us these short-shorts that leave us baited and begging for more! :D

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 08:36 PM, K.C. said:
That was captivating. Your words flow like poetry. At first I thought he was dancing with Death. Three years is a long time, I wonder if he’s been locked up that long or that’s how long he’s been in love with the Devil. You give us these short-shorts that leave us baited and begging for more! :D

 

lol. Thanks!! ^_^ not 'Death' perse.. BUT maybe Death reincarnated! :P;) he's not Locked up... lol it's just a hospital! :P
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..