Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 836 Words
  • 3,234 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2009 - Spring - Oops Entry

A Week on the Farm - 1. Story

A Week On The Farm

by Graeme

 

Dear Uncle George,

Mum and Dad said that I should write to you to thank you for letting Frank and me stay with you for a week. So, thanks! We had a wonderful time with you, Aunt Mabel and our cousin John.

There were so many great times that I’m not sure if I can list them all, but I think one of the best was when we made the scarecrows with the old clothing we found near the dam. I made a boy scarecrow and Frank made a girl one. He wasn’t happy about that – he wanted to make a boy scarecrow, too – but since we only found the two lots of clothes, there wasn’t a lot of choice.

We’re sorry about taking the two big pumpkins for the heads. We didn’t know that Aunt Mabel was growing them for the local big vegetable competition, but you have to admit that they looked good at the top of the scarecrows.

After we made the scarecrows, Frank and I weren’t sure what to do, but then we saw John running naked across the paddock and back to the house. It was such a warm day and we decided that must be a country thing to do, so we took off our clothes and started dancing around the scarecrows. It was a lot of fun.

John showed up soon after that wearing some old clothes and asked us where we got the things for the scarecrows from. He seemed upset, which scared Frank and me. But then he smiled and said he’d get us another set of clothes if he could have the girl clothing. Frank and I didn’t know what he wanted them for – John’s almost a man, and the girl clothing wouldn’t fit him anyway – but since Frank didn’t really want a girl scarecrow, we quickly agreed. John went back inside and came out with some old clothes and as soon as we undressed the scarecrow he took the girl clothes and headed back to the dam.

Speaking of the dam, Frank and I are really sorry about the quad bike. We really thought that with wheels that big that it would float. It was just as well that Frank and I know how to swim. Mum and Dad would have been proud of how well we swam back to the side of the dam after the bike disappeared under the water. And it was fun watching John diving in to attach a chain to the bike so you could pull it out with the tractor. Aunt Mabel did say that you could re-use the tyres, so it wasn’t a complete loss.

As for the tractor, I just want to say that you didn’t yell loud enough when I was driving it. I couldn’t hear you telling me to stop over the noise of the engine. And John said you had been thinking of pulling down the old shed, so there was no real harm done.

Frank and I both agree that John is the best cousin we’ve got and that we both want to be like him when we’re his age. He taught us a lot of things and the only thing he asked us to do in exchange was to keep quiet around his girlfriend Becky about him wrestling with that girl in the hay shed and the other girl we saw him with in the outer paddock.

I know Frank and I got into trouble for it, but the hay shed burning down wasn’t our fault! John was not teaching us how to smoke and we weren’t playing with matches. The hay just caught alight, all by itself. John said that happens sometimes. As he said, at least no one was hurt.

We also learned lots more stuff, such as making sure we close the gate properly between the paddocks with boy cows and the paddock with the girl cows. Frank and I learned a lot of new words that day.

Frank and I are really sorry that we won’t be able to stay with you, Aunt Mabel and John again. It seems that our farewell surprise was a little too good. John had told us that you get coloured wool from coloured sheep, so Frank and I decided to spraypaint the sheep you had put in the pen to sell so you’d get more money. After all, coloured sheep must be rare since we’ve never seen one before. You must have made a packet from selling the ones we painted, because Mum and Dad tell us that you’re off on overseas trips during all the school holidays for the next few years. While we’re disappointed, we’re happy that we did the right thing in the end.

Thanks again for a wonderful week. Frank and I will remember it for a long, long time.

Yours truly,

Mark Spencer

 

 

© 2009 Graeme

Other Stories by Graeme

Copyright © 2010 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2009 - Spring - Oops Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That is hysterical. It seems the more they did the more destroyed the farm was. I'm am sure his uncle and aunt were happy it was a only a week. If it had been a month there might not have been any farm left. Too funny.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/25/2011 05:41 AM, said:
That is hysterical. It seems the more they did the more destroyed the farm was. I'm am sure his uncle and aunt were happy it was a only a week. If it had been a month there might not have been any farm left. Too funny.
Thank you :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

This has to be the best vacation every that these little guys will ever have in their lives.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/29/2014 03:21 AM, sammiam said:
This has to be the best vacation every that these little guys will ever have in their lives.
LOL -- Definitely one of the most memorable ones, at least :D
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/20/2014 03:21 PM, Ddiltz said:
Cute. I look forward to Mark and Frank's escapades when they are a little older.
LOL. You may look forward to it, but I'm not sure if the other people around them will agree :P
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I'm not sure John returns the feelings about 'wonderful cousins' LOL. Now I'm wondering how their parents have coped and how those boys have managed to survive. I hope their uncle and aunt keep the letter and let the boys read it again at age twenty, simply to enjoy seeing them cringe. And they can work on the farm a whole summer to pay back the losses. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/06/2015 11:40 PM, Timothy M. said:

I'm not sure John returns the feelings about 'wonderful cousins' LOL. Now I'm wondering how their parents have coped and how those boys have managed to survive. I hope their uncle and aunt keep the letter and let the boys read it again at age twenty, simply to enjoy seeing them cringe. And they can work on the farm a whole summer to pay back the losses. :)

But..but...Mark and Frank are such wonderful boys! How can you say that John mightn't think so? :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/13/2015 02:00 AM, Parker Owens said:

Somewhere, there is a film in this. It's absolutely priceless to imagine. Many thanks for every bit of this lovely gem.

Funny you should mentioned that because it was inspired by the character Frank Spencer from the British TV show Some Mothers Do Have'em. So, from point of view, there's already a TV show!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thanks for the laugh, it's just what the doctor ordered, it's funny as..... well I think you get the picture.😂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, cognac69 said:

Thanks for the laugh, it's just what the doctor ordered, it's funny as..... well I think you get the picture.😂

Thank you! That was the intention...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

These two kids are hysterical!  Laughed my way thru the entire letter.  By now these two should be around 20 years old, so a meeting with the family where Aunt and Uncle share the letter with them should be a fun read!  This made my day.

Baking Uh Oh GIF

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..