Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,279 Words
  • 2,775 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Hunt - 14. Chapter 14

Wednesday 28th January, 2015

Sam and his partner, Marcus, were just finishing breakfast when Sam’s phone rang.

“Did you know about this? Did you have any idea this might’ve been going on with Deon? Has this got anything to do with why you moved to Sydney?”

Sam Bradshaw rocked back at the venomous tone his ex-wife—and mother of his three children—was using. “Mandy, what are you talking about?”

“Deon! Everyone’s talking about what happened to him. Did you know?”

Sam waved a hand at Marcus to indicate that he wouldn’t be able to help clean up. Marcus nodded his understanding before starting to clear the table.

Sam took a deep breath. “Are you talking about the trial?”

“You know! Oh, my God, it’s true!”

“Mandy, calm down. Have you to spoken to Deon?”

“No! I’ve been trying since I saw the posts on Facebook and the newspaper article this morning, but he’s not answering his phone. I need to see him. He must be going through hell at the moment. Why didn’t he say something? Did he say something to you? If he did, and you brushed him off…”

Sam winced at the angry accusation. “Mandy, I spoke to Clarissa last night, and it’s not what it seems.”

“My boy was raped and it’s not what it seems? What the hell are you talking about?”

“Deon wasn’t raped. It’s not him. He’s protecting one of his teammates.”

There was silence for a couple of seconds. “It’s not him?”

Sam held back a sigh of relief at the change in tone. The important thing was that Mandy was calming down, and he didn’t want to upset her again. “I jumped to the same conclusion yesterday when I found out he was in Melbourne. He hadn’t told me, either. I couldn’t get hold of him, so I rang Clarissa. She filled me in. Deon’s running interference for whoever’s that bastard’s victim. I don’t know who it is, but she assured me that Deon’s fine.”

“How do I know you’re telling me the truth?”

Sam suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. He understood what his ex-wife was feeling since it was similar to how he felt the day before. “Mandy, Rollingford never coached Deon. He wasn’t even at the same football club. It’s not Deon.”

“But they were in the same competition. He could’ve done something even though he wasn’t Deon’s coach. He had access any time his team played Deon’s.”

“Yes, he could’ve, but he didn’t. Look, why don’t you call Clarissa and ask her to get Deon to call you directly. You can get it from him. He’s okay. Honest!”

It took a couple more minutes to calm her down, but by the time Sam had finished the call, she was no longer in an angry panic. It was only then that Sam let out the heavy sigh he had been keeping in. He would need to check what misinformation was being spread so he could be ready to combat it, if needed. He respected Deon’s desire to not deny that he was testifying at the trial, but Sam knew there would be ripples from that decision. Mandy’s call that morning was merely the first.

A gentle shoulder massage brought him out of his contemplations.

“Rough call?” Marcus asked.

“She’s worried about Deon. He didn’t tell her what was going on, so she didn’t know it wasn’t him who had been molested.”

“She’s not the only one who’s going to guess it’s him. You’ll probably get questions at work today, too.”

Sam grimaced. “She said something about a newspaper article. I need to check to see what it says.” Despite his comment Sam didn’t move. “She practically accused me of being involved somehow.”

“I was afraid of that. Most people won’t, but some people will think we’re child molesters simply because we’re gay.” Marcus stopped the massage and kissed the back of Sam’s neck. “Go check to see what’s being reported while I get everything ready for work. I think it’s going to be rough day for both you and Deon.”

Sam knew Marcus was right. It’ll be bad for the two of them, but he couldn’t help feel for the person who would be testifying. For him—and Sam had already made a guess as to who it was—the day was going to be much worse.

* * *

Mason closed the lid of his laptop with a slam. “Fuck!” He jumped up and started to pace around the hotel room. He then sent Clarissa a text, threw on some clothes—not paying any attention to what they were—and stormed down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast.

By the time Clarissa arrived, Mason had calmed down.

Clarissa smirked as she joined him. “You know, that shirt doesn’t really go well with that jacket.”

Mason glanced down and then shrugged. “At the moment, I don’t care, but I’ll get changed before we go out.” He gave her a momentary smile. “Deon’s got enough trouble right now; he doesn’t need to be seen in public with a fashion disaster.”

Clarissa immediately frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“My fucking father.” Mason took a deep breath in an attempt to contain his anger. “He called me at seven fucking o’clock to tell me that he didn’t think it would be a good idea for me to be sharing an apartment with Deon. He said that Deon may be emotionally unstable, given what he’s just found out.” Mason ground his teeth. “I really wanted to rub his face in the truth, but I couldn’t. All I could do was tell him that I’m here, I know what’s going on, and I’m fine with everything. I then told him I wasn’t going to let him control who I can be friends with.” Mason clenched his fists as his rage started to return.

“Well, that explains the early-morning text. I didn’t think we were meeting for breakfast until well after eight.” Clarissa peered at him for a couple of seconds before continuing in a softer tone. “Are you okay? Something else is bothering you, isn’t it?”

“Yeah…” Mason tried to rein in his emotions. “When I told him he doesn’t get to choose my friends, he said he wasn’t trying to do that. He then told me Dexter was fine and he thought we were good for each other.” Mason glared in the rough direction of the U.S.A. and his parents. “He’s having me followed! How did he know about Dexter if he wasn’t spying on me? The bastard. The fucking bastard!”

“Steady, Mason. It may not be as bad as you think.” Clarissa smiled across the table. “How about we both get a coffee before we continue?”

Mason grunted, which Clarissa took as an acceptance. She headed over to the coffee station, placed an order with the waitress, and then returned.

Mason scowled at her. “Okay, how can it not be as bad as I think? I knew he’d had Kevin and Deon investigated, but I didn’t know he was checking out everyone else I know, too.”

Clarissa blinked. “He investigated Kev and Deon?”

Mason glowered, though he was careful to not look at her when he did so. She wasn’t his target. “He wanted to make sure the people I’d be living with were okay. At the time, he gave Deon a clean bill of health, but I had to argue with him about Kevin. Now he’s concerned about Deon, too!”

“Back up a second.” Clarissa frowned. “He had problems with Kev?”

Mason hesitated, knowing he’d already said too much. “It doesn’t matter. It was private stuff that he had no reason to investigate—and even less reason to share.” Mason ground his teeth again. “He doesn’t fucking trust me! He thinks I’m a kid who can’t be trusted to make my own decisions!”

Clarissa stared across the table, her lips tight. She then scowled. “Are you even listening to yourself? Your parents gave you an American Express card with no apparent limit and seem to have no problems paying for whatever it is you waste it on. These are the same parents who are buying you a unit that you picked. Do you really think they don’t trust you to make decisions?”

“That money is loose change for them, and they had someone else check out that apartment before they’d agree to buy it.”

“And so they should if they’re going to spend that much money.” Clarissa shook her head. “I don’t think I’ll ever understand the mentality of someone for whom money is like play dough, but you’re doing your best to teach me.” She snorted before giving him a sympathetic look. “Mason, did you ever think it may be that they simply care? That they want you to be safe?”

“They exiled me halfway around the world. How can you say they care?” Mason wrestled his emotions back under control. “Anyway, that doesn’t explain Dexter. How did he know about him?”

Clarissa smiled. “I’ve got an idea about that, but let’s test my suspicions.” She pulled out her phone. “And while you owe me for this phone call, you’re not paying for it.” She narrowed her eyes. “You can find a way to pay me back that doesn’t involve spending money.”

Mason didn’t know what she was talking about, but he stayed quiet as she selected someone from her contact list and then put her phone on speaker.

“Lady dude! How’s my favourite Aussie girl?”

Clarissa chuckled. “G’day, Jeremy. And be careful with the flirting or my boyfriend may get jealous.”

“I was going to ask Mason to take him off your hands since he’s going to be living with him. That’ll free you up for me.” There was a short pause. “You’ll be able to pay for my airfare to move to Australia, won’t you? Or do I need to find another way to visit you?”

“I’ll pay it, Jeremy.” Mason grinned. Somehow, she’d realised that Jeremy was the tonic he needed. “But I’m not going to steal Deon away from Clarissa. You’ll need to find another option, if that’s what you want.”

“Mason, dude! What are you doing with the lovely lady? Shouldn’t you be out with some guy?”

“It’s not even eight in the morning here. We’re just about to have breakfast before deciding what we’re doing today.” Mason glanced at Clarissa, silently asking her for the purpose of the call. He was already feeling more relaxed from hearing Jeremy’s voice, but somehow he didn’t think that had been her intention.

“Jeremy, speaking of guys that Mason should be out with, do you know about Dexter?”

Jeremy laughed. “Who doesn’t? He’s in more of Mason’s Instagram photos than anyone else; Dexter serving at the bar. Dexter at the beach. Dexter and Mason at a party. Mason, if any of our friends didn’t know you were gay before you left, they certainly do now. They’d have to be blind not to know you have a thing for the guy.”

“We’re just friends!” Mason wouldn’t mind it being more, but Dexter didn’t seem willing to settle into a relationship.

“Dude, we’re just friends. Dexter is more than just a friend. I’ve never even met the guy, and I can tell that!”

Mason gave Clarissa a helpless look. She chuckled. “Thanks, Jeremy. I think Mason finally gets the point. He’s been a bit obstinate. Sorry to cut this short, but we’ve got to go. Thanks for the chat!” She raised an eyebrow in Mason’s direction as she ended the call.

Mason sighed. “Okay, maybe my dad hasn’t been having me followed.”

* * *

Jim, Ty, Deon, and Patrick were listening to the radio while having their own breakfast. Patrick had it tuned to a talkback program, and the subject of the conversation was, indirectly, Deon.

CALLER: What I don’t understand is why no one is mentioning his name? It’s all over the news in the overseas websites, but none of the Australian media sites are brave enough to say who it is. What’s the big deal? We all know it’s—

HOST: I’m sorry to cut you off, but we can’t allow his name to be broadcast. Even if it wasn’t disrespectful to name him, we still couldn’t do it because it’d be illegal. Australian law prohibits the publishing of sexual-abuse victims’ names without their permission. You could get into trouble if you say his name on air or publish it in a newspaper.

CALLER: Come on, now! Are the police really going to try to prosecute all of the people who have posted his name on their Facebook pages or in the sporting blogs? It’s absurd!

HOST: Don’t you think common human decency means giving the poor guy at least some privacy? I can’t imagine what he’s going through right now, and I, for one, don’t want to add to his suffering. Even if it wasn’t the law, I wouldn’t be broadcasting his name.

“Well, that explains why the Australian newspapers and TV stations aren’t saying anything,” Jim said.

Patrick grimaced. “They may not stay that way. I can remember incidents in the past where they didn’t stick to the rules. I think having the AFL Commission telling them to play nicely has helped.” He sighed. “I also don’t know how many know or suspect the real truth. There’ll be some out there who do, so be thankful that they’re staying quiet.”

“What do you think will happen when everyone finds out it’s not me?” Deon asked.

Jim shrugged. “Honestly, I don’t know. You’ll get some people who’ll understand why you didn’t say anything, but others will feel betrayed.” He looked at Ty. “Some will see you as untrustworthy because you didn’t share the truth with them.”

Ty flinched at the reminder of his reaction when Jim first came out of the closet. “That was a long time ago, Dad. Peter got me sorted out soon enough by pointing out you were putting your private life on the line for the club.” He turned to Deon. “And hopefully, most people will see that for you, too. I know Dave does, and I do, too. What you’re doing takes courage, and I admire that.” He shrugged. “There will always be scumbags who want to see the worst in anything that occurs, but I think most people will accept that you’re protecting Dave…and those that don’t aren’t worth worrying about.”

Patrick nodded. “Lad, the ones you need to concern yourself with are your teammates, both current and future. If there’s one thing I know, it’s that the AFL Players’ Association will back you, and the AFL Commission will play ball. Both Hawthorn and GWS management know what you were asked to do, and staying quiet while people misinterpret what’s going on is simply more of the same. You’ve got two clubs that will support you, and most players will understand. This won’t hurt your career, though you’ll probably always have people who’ll call you a liar for as long as you’re in the public eye.”

Ty’s cup of coffee paused halfway to his mouth. “Paddy, is there anything Carlton can do to help?”

Patrick smiled. “I was thinking the same thing, young man. When I get to work, I’ll speak to a few people and see if I can call in some favours I’m owed.” He grinned at Deon. “I know you need to be at the courthouse this morning, but don’t be surprised if you get an invite to train at our facilities this afternoon or evening.” Patrick winked at Jim and Ty. “We can’t let the Hawks get all the kudos for supporting Deon, can we?”

“You don’t need to do that!” Deon made a face. “And I’m not going to be free tonight, anyway.”

Ty grinned. “Another date with Clarissa?”

“Sort of. Mum told me I need to have dinner with her and Jordan and to bring Clarissa.” Deon sighed. “School starts next week, and Jordan needs to understand what’s going on. Mum pointed out that I can’t let him face his classmates unprepared.”

“Who’s Jordan?” Patrick asked.

“Deon’s younger brother and biggest fan.” Jim cocked his head. “What is he now? Fifteen? Sixteen?” When Deon nodded, Jim gave Ty a quizzical look. “What do you think about a visit to Jordan’s school next week? I’m not sure if it’ll help, but it might give Jordan a status boost in case some of the kids try to pick on him for what they think happened to Deon.”

Ty frowned in thought, then nodded. “Sounds good to me if the club will approve it.” He turned to Patrick and opened his mouth but was beaten by the old Irishman.

“I’ll add it to the list of favours I’m calling in, brat.” He waved a hand at the food still on the table. “Now finish up so we can all get ready to go to work. I believe you’ve got a tough training session scheduled for later today.”

* * *

The crowd outside the Victorian County Court was larger than the day before. Again, the Leopards—with Mason and a few others assisting—formed a human barricade to allow Deon, Dave, and Charlie into the building without being swamped. Mason knew that Clarissa was waiting inside, on the other side of the security screening. She had decided that she needed to be with Deon until it was time for the trial to start.

Once the three involved in the trial were in the building, the gathered players broke up into small groups. Many of the spectators also drifted away at that time, though there were several who were asking for autographs or photos from the AFL players present.

Mason still couldn’t picture exactly where AFL players stood in the Australian sporting world; on the one hand, they were clearly revered, as shown by the attention Jim, Ty, and—to a lesser extent—Paul were receiving. On the other hand, there was none of the extravagant hype Mason saw around sporting heroes back home.

“Mason? I’m Ollie. I’ve heard Deon will be moving in with you in Sydney.” The young man, who didn’t look much older than Mason, grinned. “I also believe I heard you flew Clarissa down here to be with him.”

Mason shrugged as they shook hands. “I plead guilty on all charges.” He grinned. “Kevin Scanlan is also moving in with Deon and me. Do you know him?”

“Yeah, we all know Kev. He did some informal training with us last year after his season had finished.” Oliver tilted his head towards one of the nearby groups. “Why don’t you join us? We’re just debating what to do while the trial is in session.”

Mason glanced in the indicated direction and saw that Ben was in that group. He grinned. “Sure, but don’t expect any ideas from me. I don’t know what the options are.”

“I believe it’s shopping, eating, drinking, or playing tourist, and with our head coach here, I don’t think anyone will be game to suggest drinking.” Oliver grinned. “Now, if my girlfriend was here, I’d have some other things to do, but sadly, she’s at work.”

“Isn’t anyone going to wait, in case Deon and the others come out early?”

“Charlie’s going to text us as soon as they’ve finished. They may disappear out the back like they did yesterday, but we’ll all return here regardless. You never know when a bunch of football players may be needed to help out.” Oliver’s brow wrinkled. “I think a few of the others are going to stay nearby, just in case, but the rest of us don’t need to stick around.”

Mason joined the group that Oliver had indicated and quickly moved up next to Ben. When Ben gave him a shy smile, Mason grinned back. As the others debated what to do, Mason sent Clarissa a text to tell her what he was doing and suggested she join them once Deon was in the courtroom.

With a lot of uncertainty as to how long it would be before Deon, Dave and Charlie would be finished at the trial, the consensus was that they couldn’t go too far away or do anything with a long time commitment. While a couple of guys broke away to do some shopping—Mason had the impression that they had family members with birthdays coming up—the rest settled down at a café a few blocks away.

Mason listened as they talked about the sport they called football, but most of his focus was on the person sitting close on his left. Mason couldn’t help notice that when it came to choosing seats, Ben had moved so he’d be next to Mason.

* * *

“At least that’s over.” Deon managed to avoid shuddering at what he had learnt that day. Being with Dave while his former teammate testified had been a harrowing experience. He could only imagine how much worse it must have been for Dave.

The defence barrister’s cross-examination had been particularly intense, though Dave seemed to take it in his stride. Deon guessed that after describing the experience of being raped, being accused of making it all up was nothing special. Dave acknowledged that he’d suppressed the memories for about a decade, but he also stated that those memories were too vivid to be his imagination.

“For now,” Charlie said while keeping a careful eye on a subdued Dave Islington. “The trial’s still ongoing, and while it’s unlikely, Dave may be called back to testify again.”

Dave spoke up for the first time since they left the courtroom. “They won’t. The lawyer explained it to me earlier. The only reason to bring me back would be to discredit me as a witness. Since I’m not the only one testifying, they’d have to discredit all of us, and the lawyer said that would be difficult.” He grimaced. “I’m probably the easiest one to discredit because of all the time I didn’t remember, but they’d have to discredit everyone else giving evidence, too.”

“And if they were trying to do that, they’d be targeting your psychologist, not you. They’ve already questioned you about your memory. They’re not likely to do that again.”

“So, what happens next?” Deon asked.

Dave looked around. “I’ve had enough of this place, so let’s get the fuck out of here.” He screwed up his face. “What I really want to do is get rolling drunk, but that’s not happening.” He gave Charlie an apologetic look. “I tried that last year, and it didn’t help.”

“How about we get you back to Hawthorn? I was told there would be someone ready to speak with you, if that’s what you need.”

Dave sighed. “My psychologist. Yeah, I suppose I’d better do that.” While Charlie pulled out his phone to contact their driver, Dave gave Deon what was almost a smile. “Thanks, mate, for taking some of the heat for me. If you ever need something, don’t be afraid to ask.”

Deon blushed. “Any of us would’ve done it. We’re all here for you, Dave.”

“Yeah, but you’re the one whose name is being splashed everywhere.” Dave dropped his head. “I hope you don’t get burnt by all the publicity.”

Deon tried to mask his worries with a shrug. “What happens, happens. I knew what I was doing.” He knew he hadn’t—there were already ripple effects that he hadn’t anticipated—but he still wouldn’t have changed anything.

Charlie frowned at his phone. “Deon, I’ve got a text for you from the brat. He says you’ve been invited to use Carlton’s facilities, if you want.”

“Thanks, Charlie”. Deon had no intention of turning his own phone on until he was somewhere private. Ty had known that, hence the message to Charlie.

Deon wasn’t looking forward to the multitude of messages and missed calls he was going to receive. He was already contemplating changing his number since too many people had his current one. The way his phone blew up the day before had demonstrated that all too clearly.

* * *

Julie Crowman swept her gaze over the assembled Leopards. “Thanks, everyone. The guys really appreciate you being here and giving them your support. However, now for the bad news.” She smirked, but even Mason could tell that the players weren’t going to relish what she was about to say. “I expect a full turnout for training tonight, and I’m going to be working you hard. So, go and get ready. Anyone showing up late is going to regret it.”

Many of the players groaned, but Mason couldn’t sense any resentment. If anything, the players seemed eager. “Where do you train?” he asked Ben.

“At the club grounds in Lilydale.” Ben glanced at his phone. “I’ve got a couple of hours before I have to go and get ready, so would you like to grab a coffee?” He grinned. “Or should I say, another coffee?”

Mason chuckled. Both of them had already consumed several cups of coffee while they had waited. “Sure. I’ve got nothing planned.”

A few minutes later, they were seated opposite each other at the back of a café. It was one thing that Mason had noticed already: Melbourne had a lot of small coffee shops.

“About tomorrow night…” Ben’s face contorted as his voice faltered.

Mason guessed at the problem. “You told me you were seeing someone. I understand. I’ll admit that I find you very attractive, but if you don’t want anything to happen, it won’t.”

Ben’s face screwed up even more, as well as going red. “That’s just it. I don’t know…” When Mason stayed silent, Ben sighed and dropped his head. “Mitchell and I…I don’t know what we are. It wasn’t supposed to be a relationship, but…”

“What’s he said about it?”

“Nothing. I haven’t spoken to him about it.”

“Don’t you think you need to do that?” Mason reached over and put a hand on top of Ben’s.

Ben’s hand jerked away as his head snapped up—which made Mason think he’d gone too far—but then Ben grabbed Mason’s hand and held on tight. “Please…”

Mason wasn’t sure what Ben was asking, but he smiled. “Hey, I’m okay with anything. Just friends is fine. More than friends would be more than fine, if that’s okay with you and doesn’t mess things up with Mitchell.” Mason grinned. “I’d love to take you back to my hotel room for the rest of the day, but you’ve got training.”

Ben jerked his hand off Mason’s and looked away. “I’m sorry.”

“If this is all new to you, don’t worry; it’s new to me, too.” Mason sighed, though he kept a smile on his face. “While there were a number of guys I’d have sex with back home, I never had a relationship. I wasn’t completely out— just to a few friends and the guys I had sex with. Being open here in Australia feels strange at times, but I’ve never felt freer.”

“Apart from the guys at the club, I’m not out. I can’t afford to be.” Ben’s final words were barely about a whisper.

“Because of your football career?”

Ben shook his head and turned to face Mason again. “Because of my family.”

Mason frowned as he tried to work out what Ben was trying to say. “But doesn’t your family live in Sydney? You live and work here, now. What can they do?”

In a low voice, Ben explained about his family, the uncle who had committed suicide, and his father’s attitude to both religion and homosexuality. He mentioned his sister may be okay with it, but the rest of the family would kill him if he came out, and he wasn’t convinced that wouldn’t be literally kill.

Mason grimaced and decided that it may help Ben if he knew he wasn’t alone with his fears. For the second time since arriving in Australia, he told someone his complete story, including the attack on Robbie. It was only as he was finishing that he realised that both guys he’d given all the details to—Ben and Dexter—were also the two guys to whom he was most attracted. Mason wondered if he was subconsciously trying to push them away or if he was trying to be honest with those he wanted close.

There was quiet at the table for a couple of minutes as they reflected on each other’s story. Ben was the one who eventually broke the silence. “I think a change of subject is needed.” When Mason gave him a wry smile and half nod of the head, Ben continued. “So, sleeping around is normal?”

Mason felt a jolt at the question. While he could understand that was the impression he gave Ben, he didn’t want the Australian to think that was all he wanted. “I wouldn’t put it that way.” He gave Ben a wry smile. “I don’t know about anyone else, but for me, it was the only feasible option, since a real relationship wasn’t possible.” Images of Neil and Liam flashed through his mind for a moment. “But now that I’m out, I think I’d like to find someone to be my boyfriend. I don’t want to rush into anything—and I’m happy to have fun while I’m looking—but maybe it’s time to look for something more than what I’ve had.”

“I’d like that, too, but I can’t.” Ben’s expression was forlorn. “With my sister moving down here and my parents probably following—at least for visits—I can’t afford to get caught. I just can’t!”

“Hey, I understand.” Mason grimaced. “Well, I don’t understand about your ‘rents—mine think I’m a problem, but only for my mom’s career. They certainly don’t hate me, but I understand about hiding. If I’d come out at school, I’d have ended up in hospital, at best.” He sighed and dropped his gaze to the café tabletop. “There were gang members at the school who wouldn’t think twice about beating up a fag. Killing one would probably earn them even more kudos, especially if they got away with it.”

“Really?” Mason looked up to see a wide-eyed Ben.

Mason shrugged. “Okay, I may be exaggerating.” He grinned. “But I’m out here, and so far, everyone’s been great. If I had to get kicked out of the country, Australia is certainly one of the better places I could’ve ended up in.” He narrowed his eyes. “Back to you. What do you want? A relationship? Sex? Or something else?”

Ben sighed. “I want someone to hold, someone to love.” His eyes were moist as he stared directly at Mason. “Someone who’ll be there when I need him, especially after my family finds out.”

Mason recognised what Ben wanted. Mason wanted something similar, though he’d been happy to substitute no-strings sex in Los Angeles while he was in the closet. He wished Ben was still living in Sydney so he could give him what he wanted, but they lived in two different cities. Pushing his own desires aside, he smiled at Ben. “Maybe it’s time to have that talk with Mitchell. You never know; he could be the one you want.”

Ben stared for a moment, screwed up his face, and nodded once. He pulled out his phone and then hesitated. “Should I do this over the phone?”

Mason resisted the temptation to roll his eyes. “No, but you could use the phone to make a date for when you talk to him.” He hesitated, not sure if Mitchell was going to be with them the following night. “Why don’t the two of you go out for dinner tomorrow? We can catch up later at the nightclub.”

To Mason’s surprise, Ben shuddered. “I can’t.” He must’ve seen Mason’s confusion as he then explained. “I’m having dinner with my sister’s boyfriend. If I don’t, he’ll probably come out to the club one night, and someone will spill the truth.” Ben shook his head. “Tomorrow night is out.”

“Tonight?” Mason shrugged. “It’s short notice, but maybe Mitchell will be free.” He grinned. “He might even find the idea of a spontaneous dinner date romantic.”

Ben shook his head. “I’ve got training and won’t be finished until eight. By the time I get changed and came back here to the city, it’ll be after nine.”

“So? Maybe a late dinner would suit Mitchell.” Mason pointed at Ben’s phone. “Call him and ask. The worst that can happen is he’ll say he can’t make it.”

Ben’s shoulders slumped. “Okay. I’ll let him know about going to MANdatory tomorrow night, too.”

Mason was puzzled as to why Ben seemed depressed at the idea, but at least he’d had the answer to his earlier silent question; Ben hadn’t told Mitchell about the planned nightclubbing.

* * *

Ben was anxious and frustrated. By the way Mason had pushed Ben to talk to Mitchell, it felt to Ben that Mason wasn’t interested in a possible relationship. Ben, on the other hand, found the tall, dark American much more appealing than Mitchell, but it seemed that for Mason any attraction was purely physical.

The conversation with Mitchell had also made it clear that Mitchell was only after a casual relationship. After declining the invitation to go to MANdatory the following night, Mitchell had told Ben to have fun and use protection. Ben could tell that it hadn’t been a flippant comment. Mitchell expected him to hook up while he was at the nightclub and was making it clear that he was okay with that.

That left the field clear for Ben to go home with Mason after the nightclub…if he wanted. Ben wasn’t sure what he wanted, but spending more time with Mason was definitely high on the list even if Mason didn’t share the same level of feelings that Ben was experiencing. That was why he hadn’t resisted when Mason asked if he could go and watch the Leopards train that night.

Which left Ben sitting across from Mason as the train took them out to Lilydale, anxious about potentially sleeping with Mason in the near future and frustrated because Mason wasn’t going to be anything more than a short-term fling.

“You know I was serious when I suggested taking a taxi,” Mason said.

Ben smiled. “I know, but there’s no point, and I find the train more relaxing. There’s more leg room, too.”

“That’s true.” A sound from his jacket pocket had Mason pulling out his phone. He read the message he’d received and grinned. “Clarissa’s just told me Deon’s heading back to Sydney tomorrow morning. She’s thinking of going with him.” He started typing. “If she goes back, that’ll mean I won’t have to worry about her making me get up early on Friday morning.” Mason winked. “I can sleep in if I want.”

Ben knew what Mason was hinting at. “That’s good for you, but I have to work that morning. I’ll need to get up at a sensible time.”

Mason grunted an acknowledgment as he continued to type, pausing twice to read what was displayed. He then smiled and put his phone away. “Clarissa’s all organised. She and Deon are going to see his family tonight, and then she and Deon will head to the airport together in the morning. That leaves me on my own…” His smile broadened into a large grin. “Did you have any plans for tonight after training?”

Ben stuck his hands in his pockets to keep them from shaking. He knew none of his housemates would complain if he invited Mason back to their place for dinner. He also knew once Mason was there, Oliver would suggest that he stay the night…in Ben’s room.

Ben wasn’t sure he was ready for that, but his mouth was engaged before his brain. “Just dinner at home with the guys. Would you like to join us? They won’t mind.”

A flicker of a frown crossed Mason’s face. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.” Ben was already worried he was making a mistake.

“Okay, then. Who’ll be there?”

“Ollie, Ross, and Charlie. Helena, Ollie’s girlfriend, may be there, too, depending on whether she’s staying the night or not.”

“Is Ollie a bit shorter than you, with an Italian surname?” When Ben nodded yes, Mason grinned. “I spoke to him outside the courthouse this morning. Yeah, that sounds great. Thanks, Ben!”

Ben smiled back while hiding his inner feelings. He knew how the evening was probably going to end, and that was making him even more anxious.

* * *

Deon blinked at the familiar but unexpected figure who answered his mother’s door.

“G’day! Fancy seeing you here. If you’re looking for Ignition Bar and Grill, this isn’t it.”

“Paul? What are you doing…” Deon stopped and chuckled. “Is Teresa here, too?”

“Of course! She thought she may be able to help explain things to your mum and Jordan.”

Clarissa gave Deon a light thump in the arm. “How about filling me in what’s going on?”

Deon explained as he escorted Clarissa into the house. “I’m not sure if you remember, but Paul’s dating my sister. Paul’s told her something about all the dramas…” He raised an eyebrow at Paul, not sure of how much he’d told Teresa.

“When she couldn’t get hold of you this morning and asked me what was going on, I told her things aren’t what they seem. She knows it’s not you, but that’s all she knows.”

“Thanks, Paul.” Deon made a face as he thought of all the people he needed to tell. Kevin was still on that list, but he needed to work out who else needed to be told the truth.

“Deon!” The bundle of energy that was Deon’s younger brother raced forward and grabbed him in a bear hug.

“Jordan, it’s good to see you again, too.” Deon gave Clarissa an amused smile. He then looked down and frowned when he noticed that Jordan’s eyes were red, there was a cut above his left eye, and a bruise was forming on the left side of his face. “Hey, mate, what’s wrong?”

“Are you okay?” Jordan released Deon and looked hard at his brother. “Richie said some nasty things about you. That you…” He glanced past Deon to where Clarissa was standing and blushed.

“They then had a fight,” Mandy said in a dry tone as she joined the group just inside the front door. “Jordan, why don’t you take your brother to your room so he can talk to you about what’s being said.” She gave Deon a steely gaze that held an unspoken command: fix this.

Deon took a deep breath and then smiled at his younger brother. “Come on, mate. Let’s go talk.” He glanced at Clarissa to make sure she was okay. She signalled that she was before she turned her attention to Deon’s mother.

Once Deon entered Jordan’s bedroom, he stopped in shock. The room was nothing like it’d been the last time he saw it. Then, it’d been a typical teenager’s room; a bit of mess, with assorted pictures on the walls and numerous odds-and-ends scattered around in various places.

Now, it was a shrine to the Greater Western Sydney Football Club and one player, in particular. A large poster of Deon in his uniform was the focus of the wall opposite Jordan’s bed, which now sported an official AFL-branded, GWS-logo bedcover. Deon’s gaze drifted back to the poster that he finally recognised as a copy of the picture taken by the club for the GWS website.

“Jordan…” Deon kept turning, taking in more and more of the items in the room. From a cursory look, it appeared that Jordan had purchased almost every single piece of GWS merchandise available. Deon knew his mother had to have been compliant in the acquisitions, as there was too much for Jordan to have bought himself.

“Did you really take it up the arse?” Jordan blushed and wouldn’t meet his brother’s eyes as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

“No, I didn’t. What’s been said about me never happened, but you can’t tell anyone.” Deon sat next to Jordan. “You can’t tell anyone, because yes, it did happen, but not to me. I’m letting everyone think it’s me so the person who was raped doesn’t have everyone chasing him for details.”

Jordan looked up and gave him a wide-eyed stare. “Who?”

Deon shook his head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you. If I can in the future, I’ll let you know, but for now, just accept that someone got hurt, badly hurt, and now he’s trying to heal. Having people picking on that particular wound may mean it’ll never heal, and none of us wants that.” Deon grimaced. “He’s already having problems because of what was done to him. He doesn’t need to be harassed, too.”

“But it wasn’t you.” Jordan’s tone indicated that he’d heard what Deon had said, but he needed reassurance.

“No, it wasn’t me.” Deon smiled. “Now, if Richie or anyone else says something, either ignore it or tell them that it’s none of their business. If they keep at it, walk away.”

“Is that what you’re going to do?”

“Sort of.” Deon ran a nervous hand through his hair. “I’m going to tell anyone who asks that I don’t want to talk about it. I’m going to neither confirm nor deny what they’re saying.”

Jordan continued to stare at him. “You’re doing this for someone else…” Jordan grinned and grabbed Deon in another bear hug. “You’re the best brother anyone could want.”

* * *

That night, Ben turned his head to look at Mason who was sleeping next to him. As Ben had expected, during dinner at the Tenterfield Street house where he was now living, Oliver and Helena had ganged up on him and suggested Mason stay the night.

Charlie had looked a little uncomfortable, and Ross had smirked, but neither had said anything. Ben had to give Mason credit for resisting both Oliver and Helena—something that could be difficult at times—and had stepped outside with Ben for a private discussion. He had made it clear to Ben that it was Ben’s decision alone as to whether he stayed.

“I’d love to spend the night with you, Ben, but that’ll have to be what you want. If you don’t want me to stay, I’ll come up with an excuse why I have to go.” Mason had then grinned. “I could always tell them I have to be back at the hotel for when Clarissa checks out.”

“Do you need to go?”

Mason had shaken his head. “I can do the checkout for her at any time since the room’s in my name. She doesn’t have to be there. It doesn’t even bother me if I forget and have to pay for an extra night. The ‘rents can afford it.” He had then taken Ben’s hands and looked into his eyes. “This is your decision, Ben, and I’m happy with whatever you decide. You should never be pressured into sleeping with someone; don’t let your self-respect get so low that you let others make that decision for you.”

That was when Ben had asked Mason to stay. While he was still second-guessing that decision, he knew Mason was right. He’d been letting others control him, deciding for him who he was allowed to love. It was time to stand on his own two feet, even if he took baby steps at first.

He couldn’t keep letting his family control his life.

Copyright © 2018 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hopefully once the trial is over Dave and the other guys can start to rebuild their lives and also get any counselling or other help that they need instead of trying to bottle it up and deal with it on their own. It must be a very difficult thing to admit to that you were raped by a person of trust and a lot of the guys must be doubting their masculinity. 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm glad the courthouse ordeal is over so Dave and the Leopard family can start to heal and move on. Although, it sounds like Deon's drama is just beginning. Thankfully, he has a strong support system with both his friends and the AFL to help him.

 

Edited to add: Maybe not quite over. Presumably, we'll get to hear about the sentencing, hopefully in the next chapter.  

 

Ben and Mason are adorable together. Going back to Sydney is going to be so hard. :unsure:

 

Thanks, for another fantastic chapter! 

Edited by impunity
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
15 hours ago, Bft said:

Hopefully once the trial is over Dave and the other guys can start to rebuild their lives and also get any counselling or other help that they need instead of trying to bottle it up and deal with it on their own. It must be a very difficult thing to admit to that you were raped by a person of trust and a lot of the guys must be doubting their masculinity. 

Dave is already getting counselling from his club's psychologist, but you're right about the other victims. What happened to them can really mess them up. I once knew someone who had a lot of problems because of something that had been done to them as a kid :(

10 hours ago, impunity said:

I'm glad the courthouse ordeal is over so Dave and the Leopard family can start to heal and move on. Although, it sounds like Deon's drama is just beginning. Thankfully, he has a strong support system with both his friends and the AFL to help him.

 

Edited to add: Maybe not quite over. Presumably, we'll get to hear about the sentencing, hopefully in the next chapter.  

 

Ben and Mason are adorable together. Going back to Sydney is going to be so hard. :unsure:

 

Thanks, for another fantastic chapter! 

Deon is going to have some dramas for awhile, but most people won't know what to say to him, so that should keep things relatively calm after the initial hysteria. As for Ben and Mason, yes, living in two different cities will be tough, especially when one of the pair is trying to stay in the closet.

6 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Thanks for a fantastic chapter 

Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm a little surprised Mandy actually believed the rumors, but at least Sam got her calmed down. It's a good thing Deon's dislike of gay men was a private thing until resolved, or it would be seen as confirmation.
Why didn't Mason tell his father Deon wasn't the real victim, but simply a smoke screen ? Hopefully, he'll be able to do it next time they talk and in a way which will embarrass the idiot in a big way. Even if Mason was mistaken about how his dad knew about Dexter, he's still being an obnoxious parent by assuming he has any right to approve of Mason's friends or boyfriends.
I think most of the media people know it's not Deon, and they're not going to make the mistake of naming him or anyone else, since the AFL will fall on the culprits like a ton of bricks and make sure they're charged if possible. All the clubs should make a public statement that anyone who names any of the victims should be considered illoyal to the sport and social media shamed by real fans.
I'm glad Dave managed to get through the court testimony with no immediate bad reaction. The support of his club and the Leopards have clearly helped, but it won't be over until Rollingford gets what he deserves. Let's hope there are plenty of inmates who like football when he goes to prison. Child molesters are always at the bottom of the pecking order and serves them right. I'd be fine with him getting a taste of what his victims went through. :evil: 
Deon did a good job on helping Jordan, but I'm slightly confused about why anyone would consider it OK to make nasty remarks to Jordan about this. Would they do the same if his sister had been raped as a kid and was now testifying ? Or is this just because Jordan has been boasting too much about Deon, so they want to shut him up ? Anyway, I hope Ty and Jim do go to Jordan's school if needed, to give the celebrity fools something else to talk about. :rolleyes:
Finally, I'm delighted Ben and Mason are attracted to each other, and not just physically. In a way I think it's good the distance will make them take it slow, because I think Ben may have found the guy he wants to come out for. But he needs to be careful and talk to his sister first. Also, they can skype talk on the phone so they can get to know each other, and Mason can visit Melbourne once a month. It will soon confirm him a part of the Leopard family.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

@Timothy M. When a mother thinks her child has been threatened, she's not always going to stop and think. Mandy tolerates Sam, but she hasn't reconciled with him. She accepts Deon's relationship with her ex-husband, but when someone tells her that something bad has happened to Deon, she doesn't immediately reject the idea that Sam was involved. It's sad, but true.

 

Mason didn't tell his father the truth for the same reason everyone else is staying silent: to protect Dave. He knows who the real victim was, but it's not his place to tell others. Mason's relationship with his father (and to a lesser extent, his mother) is still on rocky grounds. He doesn't know the truth, so Mason doesn't know his father is trying to protect him. As is too common, a lack of communication is causing problems in their relationship.

 

As for Jordan, who thinks that what the other teenager said to Jordan is acceptable? Teenage boys are not noted for being pinnacles of virtue, and Richie is a good example of that. We don't know Richie's relationship to Jordan, but I think it's fair to say that he's probably not one of Jordan's closest friends. A teenager, probably 15 or 16 years of age, said something to Jordan, and Jordan reacted. Why did Richie say what he said? Who knows, but it may be a teenager trying his best to look 'cool'... Teenage males are not the best example of calm and rational behaviour, after all.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I guess Mason and his father aren't that different. They don't trust each other and keep their own counsel. I didn't mean for Mason to talk about Dave, only to say Deon wasn't the one involved. But perhaps it wouldn't be impossible for a chance comment by Mason's father to a reporter to get into the news feed and thus undo the protection of Dave. 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..