Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,426 Words
  • 2,730 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Hunt - 15. Chapter 15

Thursday 29th January, 2015

Mason gave an appreciative sniff as he and Ben entered the kitchen with its aroma of fresh pancakes mixed with cooked bacon.

“Sleep well?” Oliver smirked at Ben and Mason. “Breakfast will be ready shortly. I’m sure you guys will need to regain some energy after your late-night workout.”

“Ollie!” Ben blushed.

Mason chuckled, though he felt his face warming, too. “I’m surprised you heard anything. You seemed to be having a late-night workout, too.”

Oliver shrugged. “Part of my regular fitness routine.” A grin appeared as he glanced past the two guys. “Isn’t that right?”

Mason turned to see a damp-haired Helena wearing an oversized T-shirt as a nightgown. She smiled as she headed towards the kitchen table. “Ollie is religious when it comes to his cardio program. He never misses an opportunity to work hard.” She turned to Oliver. “Don’t forget, I have to be at the office early today. I’ve got a pile of stuff on my desk that I need to process.”

Oliver waved a hand in acknowledgement. “It’s just the four of us today, so it won’t be long. Roscoe spent the night with Warwick, and Charlie’s sleeping in.” He rolled his eyes. “The life of the lazy uni student when classes haven’t started.”

Mason chuckled. He understood why Charlie would still be in bed. “What do you do for a living?” he asked Helena.

“Secretary at a shipping company.” She grinned. “A glorified clerk, but it pays the bills, and it’ll look good on my résumé.”

“As long as you enjoy the job, I don’t think it really matters what you do.” Mason looked over his shoulder at Oliver. “Do you need any help?”

“No, I’m fine. Why don’t you and Ben sit down and make yourselves comfortable.” Oliver smirked. “Assuming you can, of course.”

“Ollie!” Ben’s blush deepened.

Mason chuckled as he seated himself. “No offense intended, but I don’t think we should be discussing the details of Ben’s sex life at the kitchen table.”

“Sorry, Ben. I’ll try to keep Ollie under control.” Helena reached over and patted Ben’s hand. “If he steps out of line, let me know and I’ll deal with him.”

Oliver grinned as he placed a tray of pancakes on the table. “You know, Ben, that’s just going to make things worse. I happen to like it when Helena deals with me…” He winked and smirked. That changed to a look of surprise as he jumped on the spot and rubbed his bum. “Hey!”

“Play nice, Ollie.” Helena’s firm tone, however, was spoiled by the way she licked her lips afterwards.

Ben snatched a pancake and made a show of concentrating on his food. He didn’t make eye contact with anyone.

While Oliver returned to collect the bacon from the oven, Helena raised an eyebrow at Mason. “What are your plans for the day?”

Mason shrugged. “I’ve got nothing scheduled. Ben’s off to work, too, so I thought I’d wander around and see what’s happening here in Lilydale.”

Oliver paused with the oven door open. “I’m off to the club for a workout. You’re free to join me. Don’t worry about gear; we’ll find something to fit you.” He grinned as he returned his attention back to getting breakfast ready. “You can do Lilydale later. It won’t take you long.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Mason knew that most of Ben’s teammates were straight, but he wouldn’t mind the additional eye candy he’d see if any of them besides Oliver were also working out.

Helena caught his eye. “We can’t discuss Ben’s sex life, but what about yours?”

Mason laughed. “There’s not much to talk about. I’ve only been in the country for three weeks, I’ve met a few guys, and that’s about it.”

“Anyone special?”

Mason wasn’t sure how to answer that question, especially in front of Ben. He silently decided against mentioning Dexter. “There’s someone who’s got potential, but there are complications. For starters, he doesn’t live in Sydney.”

Helena winced. “Yeah, long-distance relationships can be a struggle. I’ve got a cousin who’s in one, but I can see the toll it takes on her.” Her eyes flicked to Ben before returning to Mason. “If you need any advice, feel free to ask. I can always talk to her and see what she says.”

Ben chuckled and smiled at Helena. His face was still red, but he didn’t look as embarrassed as he had moments before. “I’m surprised you don’t have a cousin in Sydney for him to date. You seem to have cousins for everything else.”

She frowned, but it seemed to Mason to be one of contemplation, rather than annoyance. “I think Con is still seeing someone, but I’ll check. I’m not sure he’d be a good match for Mason, though, since he prefers pretty boys.”

“Hey!” Mason pouted as he played along with what was being proposed. There was also the possibility that Helena’s cousin may be someone he’d like to date. “Are you saying I’m not pretty?”

“You’re handsome, Mason, not pretty.” Helena cocked her head. “Though with a bit of makeup and the right clothes…”

Mason held up both hands. “Hey, I don’t need a makeover. I’m happy with the way I look.”

Ben chuckled. “Now you know how I feel at times.” He gave Helena a soft smile. “We all appreciate how helpful you want to be, but some of us would like to find our own partners.”

Mason couldn’t help but notice that Ben’s eyes flicked towards him for a moment. He hoped that meant he and Ben had similar feelings, but he didn’t know how to deal with the tyranny of distance between Melbourne and Sydney. The flying time wasn’t bad, but his father had made it clear that once he moved into the apartment, he would be responsible for most of his own expenses. Travelling each weekend was going to be out of the question. His American Express card would still be available for emergencies, but he doubted his parents would consider visiting a boyfriend to fall into that category.

Oliver put the bacon in the middle of the table. “Well, you’re not going to find anyone if you’re starving, so eat up.” He gave Helena a quick kiss. “If you eat quickly, there may be a special treat at the end before you have to leave for work.”

Ben rolled his eyes, Helena giggled, and Mason grinned.

Mason caught Ben’s eye and raised an eyebrow. Ben froze for a moment then turned his attention to his food. Mason was disappointed at the silent offer not being accepted, but that faded when Ben flicked him a shy smile in between mouthfuls of food.

Mason grinned as he concentrated on his own breakfast. There appeared to be a chance of a special treat for him, too.

* * *

Deon sighed. “Time to go back to work.” He stared at the entrance to the Virgin Australia terminal before turning to Ty. “Thanks for the ride, brat. If neither of us gets to travel beforehand, we’ll see you the weekend of the Mardi Gras.” He stepped forward and gave his friend and former teammate a quick hug.

“Given the amount of training both of us have to do, I doubt either of us will be flying anywhere before then, so see you in March.” Ty smiled at Clarissa. “It was good to see you, too. Karen said to remind you to keep in touch.”

Clarissa rolled her eyes before grinning and giving Ty a hug of her own. “Karen knows I will. My turn to remind you to look after her.”

“I always do.” Ty stepped back as a flicker of some unidentified emotion crossed his face. He jabbed a finger in Deon’s direction. “Get going, and don’t forget that when your contract’s up for renewal, you’re going to ask for a transfer to Carlton.”

Deon chuckled. “What makes you think I’m going to do that? I was going to suggest Dad transfers to GWS, instead. If you want to come up and play with the big boys, you can ask, too, but I’m not sure we’ll want you.”

Ty painted a mock scowl on his face. “Being in Sydney has affected your mind. You don’t know what you’re talking about anymore.” He smiled at Clarissa. “Try to keep in him under control if you can. I know I’m asking a lot, but…”

She chuckled as she wrapped an arm around Deon’s waist. “It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it.”

Ty’s brow wrinkled. “You know, I think Karen said something similar once about me.” He shrugged. “I’m not complaining.”

Deon laughed. “Neither am I.” He leant over and gave Clarissa a quick kiss.

“Okay, enough of that. You both have planes to catch, and I need to go back and start training.” Ty didn’t move for a couple of seconds and then stepped forward and gave, first, Deon and then Clarissa another hug. “Take care and have a safe trip home.”

A few minutes later, Ty had driven off and Deon was checked into his flight. He and Clarissa then started the short walk through the International Terminal towards the Qantas Terminal.

“I really wish we were travelling together,” Deon said as he rolled Clarissa’s suitcase behind him.

“We could’ve, but that would’ve meant giving up the business-class seat that Mason bought for me.” Clarissa chuckled. “I keep telling him to stop wasting money, but I have to say it was a really comfortable trip down, and I don’t want to miss out on the same on my way back.”

“If he wasn’t gay, I might be getting jealous.” Deon smiled across at his girlfriend. “He’s incredibly generous.”

“Too generous.” Clarissa scowled for a moment and then sighed. “I hope he’s going to be okay. He told me to go, but I’m worried he’s staying in Melbourne without knowing that many people.”

“He’ll be fine. Jim and Tony are taking him out to a nightclub tonight, and I’ve been told he’s hitting it off with one of the new Leopards.” Deon’s smile faltered. “He’s promised he’s not going to have a revolving door on his bedroom once we move into that unit, but I can’t help worrying. He seems to be sleeping around a lot.”

Clarissa snorted. “Talk to him about it. For all we know, it may be a last set of flings before he settles down.” She cocked her head. “While he seems frivolous and shallow at times, there’s one thing I’m sure of, and that is he’s serious about his studies. Once uni starts, I think most of his focus will be on his degree. Since that’s about the same time as you guys moving in together, I suspect you’ll have nothing to worry about.”

“I hope so.”

Deon was letting his eyes wander while Clarissa used the automated check-in facilities; he noticed an older couple staring in his direction. When they started approaching, their attention clearly on him, he leant over to whisper in Clarissa’s ear. “I think we’re about to have company.”

She looked up at him and then peered in the direction he indicated. She frowned. “They don’t look dangerous.”

“I know, but…” Deon didn’t complete his statement. He knew he was playing a role to protect Dave, but he was uncomfortable with the attention. He’d be happy if he was drawing crowds because of his football skills, but having strangers staring at him because of something that didn’t even happen disturbed him.

The woman started to reach out to touch him but quickly pulled her hand back when Deon flinched. “I just wanted to say how sorry I am, and I hope that bastard gets life in prison for what he’s done.”

Deon tried to smile, but he wasn’t sure it worked. “Thank you. All we can do is trust that justice will be done. It’s out of our hands.”

The woman nodded and then turned to Clarissa. “Look after him, dear. He’s been through things that no one should ever encounter.” She screwed up her face for a moment and then reached into her purse for a handkerchief. Deon could see that she was starting to cry. “It’s horrible when it happens, and those who haven’t experienced it will never understand…”

Her companion pulled her into an embrace and whispered something. He made a face at Deon, as if he was unsure what to say, and then gently led the still-crying woman away.

“I…” Clarissa shook her head. “This must’ve brought back some painful memories for her.”

“Yeah…” Deon shuddered. “But I get what she said about never understanding. I heard what Dave said at the trial, but it’s still too unreal for me to really feel it. I know what happened, but I don’t think I’ll ever understand what it’s like to be in that sort of situation.”

Clarissa quickly finished her check-in and dropped off her suitcase. She and Deon then hugged for what seemed like several minutes. It only ended when Clarissa pushed him away and glared up at him. “You need to leave so I can be pampered in the Qantas Business Class lounge.” She flicked a hand at him dismissively. “Go!”

Deon smiled. He could tell from her behaviour that she didn’t really want him to leave, but they both knew it was time. “I’ll see you in Sydney.”

She sniffed. “Maybe.” Her indifferent façade broke almost immediately. “Don’t miss your plane.”

Deon nodded, still smiling. “See you soon.”

As he returned to the Virgin Australia terminal, he noticed a few people staring in his direction. Happily, none approached him. After the last encounter, he wasn’t sure he could cope with someone else offering their sympathy.

* * *

“Oh, fuck.” Oliver’s voice was low. “Just try to blend in and pretend you’ve always been here.”

Mason just stared at him. While one of the other Leopard players he’d seen during the week had a darker skin tone, there were none with a colour that was close to matching his own. He wondered what Oliver was doing.

“Or better still, fade into the background.” Oliver’s frown morphed into a blatantly false smile as he stepped forward to speak to one of the other people already in the gym. “G’day, Julie!”

“Ollie.” The Leopards’ head coach turned her steely gaze onto Mason. “Hi. I didn’t get a chance to say hello earlier in the week, but I wanted to say I appreciated the help you gave us at the courthouse.” She smiled and stepped forward with a hand outstretched. “Mason, isn’t it? I’m Julie Crowman.”

“Nice to meet you, Julie.” Mason shook her hand, only partly surprised by how firm a grip she had. “I believe you have the pleasure of being Ollie’s coach.”

She laughed. “I’m not sure it’s a pleasure, but he’s easier to handle than the brat.” She narrowed her eyes at Oliver. “You know the rules, Ollie. Only players and staff are allowed to use the gym.”

“Yeah, well about that...” Oliver was clearly flustered. “I was thinking, as a one-off, as thanks for his help…”

Julie held up a hand to cut him off. She reached over to a bench nearby and picked up a clipboard. “Mason, if you sign this, it makes you an unpaid staff member with access to the gym.” She gave him an apologetic half-smile. “I would prefer to just ignore the paperwork, but it’s for insurance purposes.”

“You had this ready?” Mason asked as he accepted the clipboard and started to scan the document.

“Ben called me first thing this morning to let me know you may be coming to use the gym.” She gave Oliver a mock glare. “He knows the rules and asked for a favour. A favour I was more than willing to give, since he asked.”

Oliver’s grin flicked on and off, as if he wasn’t sure if he was in trouble or not.

“This is an open-ended employment offer.” Mason looked up and gave Julie a quizzical frown. “I thought it would be just for today.”

Julie shrugged. “I have the impression from Ben that you may be visiting a few times. It’s easier to make the end date indefinite and terminate it when it’s appropriate.”

“And what exactly does an assistant trainer do?” Mason asked as he signed the form.

She chuckled. “That’s an unpaid, volunteer assistant trainer, and the answer is not much. Keep the guys company while they do their workouts, and that’s about it.” She gave Mason a hard look. “You’ll need to be accompanied whenever you use the gym, but I don’t think that’ll be a problem. And the players always have priority on the equipment. Otherwise, knock yourself out.” Her eyes gave Mason a quick once-over. “I’d suggest you start with the treadmills or bikes. Work your way up to the stuff that Ollie and the other guys will be doing; don’t try to match them immediately. A cardio workout followed by a core body program may be a good idea.”

She accepted the clipboard from Mason and smiled. “Have fun!” She headed back to the squat machine she’d been using when Mason and Oliver had entered the gym.

Mason glanced down at his body and then at Oliver. “Was she trying to tell me I’m getting fat?”

Oliver grinned. “She used to be a personal trainer—I believe she’s still qualified as one—and knows how to motivate her clients. You look fine; she was just trying to make sure you worked hard. If there’s one thing she hates, it’s people not trying their hardest.”

“And cardio for a warmup is normal, anyway.” Mason headed to the treadmills where a good-looking, stocky young blond was jogging. He’d seen him in the city earlier in the week but hadn’t spoken to him.

“Ollie!” The young man grinned as he slowed his treadmill to a fast walk. “And Mason, I believe. G’day, I’m Tony.” He chuckled as he wiped the sweat from his brow. “I’d normally shake hands, but I don’t think that’s a good idea while I’m exercising.”

Mason smiled as he took the machine next to Tony. “I was told you’re Jim Henderson’s boyfriend. I saw you at the courthouse, but you were both busy.”

“That’s me.” Tony grinned. “And I was told you’re going to be Deon’s new landlord soon. I hope that works out.”

“Any reason why it shouldn’t?”

Tony shook his head. “Not that I can think of. Jim and Deon shared a place last year, and they got along well. Deon’s not high maintenance.”

“Unlike the brat,” Oliver said as he started up the treadmill on the other side of Mason. “Dad had his hands full for most of the year with that one.”

“It wasn’t that bad.” Tony increased the speed on his treadmill. “The two of them played it up to be more than it really was.”

“You work here?” Mason asked.

“Marketing assistant.” Tony flicked him a smile before returning his attention to his machine. “Mainly dealing with sponsors—current and potential.”

“Sounds interesting.”

“It’s got its moments.” Tony flicked him another smile. “How are you finding your new job?”

Mason blinked. “What do you mean?”

“Your job as an unpaid, volunteer assistant trainer.” Tony chuckled. “Julie came to me earlier to come up with a job title for you.”

“Isn’t having both unpaid and volunteer in the title redundant?”

“Yeah, I suppose so, but it wasn’t supposed to be taken seriously.” He grinned. “My suggestion was Personal Player Assistant, but Julie thought that had too many chances of a risqué interpretation. She also rejected Shower Supervisor.”

Mason laughed. “I wouldn’t have minded that one.” After a few seconds of silent jogging, he frowned. “Why are you guys doing this for me?”

“Because since Tuesday afternoon, you’ve been a Leopard. We’re just acknowledging that fact.”

Mason shot Tony a confused frown.

On the other side of him, Oliver chuckled. “I thought you would’ve picked up on it by now. The Leopards are a family. Not only did you prove you’re a family member this week by helping out with Deon and Dave, but you’re sleeping with Ben. You’re a Leopard, Mason. Get used to it.”

Mason’s head snapped around to stare at Oliver and then turned back to look at Tony. He wasn’t sure Ben would want others to know he’d spent the night.

Tony rolled his eyes. “Ollie, who he’s sleeping with doesn’t come into it. He’s a Leopard because of what happened earlier this week, not because of anything else.”

“Sleeping with Ben happened earlier this week.” Oliver smirked. “And I believe both Mason and Ben are hoping it’ll happen again tonight.”

“Ollie!” Tony gave Mason a sheepish smile. “Sorry, Mason. Ollie doesn’t have a filter.”

Julie’s voice behind the trio distracted all of them. “If Ollie’s able to gossip, he’s not working hard enough. Time for some personal training, Ollie. You can start by grabbing one of the medicine balls.”

Mason laughed when he saw Oliver cringe at Julie’s statement. Twenty minutes later, though, he had a new appreciation for the football player’s fitness and strength. The workout Julie was putting Oliver through was tougher than he expected. Oliver was wilting but hadn’t quit. Mason knew he wouldn’t have lasted ten minutes doing the exercises Julie was making Oliver do.

* * *

Andrew was waiting outside the Olinda Creek Hotel in Lilydale when Ben arrived for dinner with his sister’s boyfriend.

“Good to see you again, Ben.” Andrew glanced at the double doors behind him. “Do you want to go into the bistro, or would you like to have a drink at the bar first?” He hesitated for a moment. “I suspect you’ve been having a rough week.”

Ben frowned. “Why do you say that?”

Andrew waved a hand towards the hotel entrance. “Shall we go in first?”

Ben followed Andrew into the hotel and then took a table in the bar area of the hotel while Andrew ordered their drinks. A couple of minutes later, Andrew put a beer in front of Ben before sitting down with his own. Ben waited for Andrew to start the conversation.

Andrew made a face as he stared at his beer. “I didn’t realise it on Monday when we met Jim Henderson at the airport, but it was Deon Bradshaw he was there to meet.” He looked up and gave Ben a wry smile. “Deon’s been mentioned a lot over the last few days, and the Leopards have been prominent in the video footage I’ve seen. I even spotted you in one of those clips.”

Ben stiffened. He hoped his parents hadn’t seen the video that Andrew mentioned. It wasn’t anything significant by itself, but he didn’t want to draw their attention.

“It didn’t take much thought to work out what was going on.” Andrew sighed as he contemplated his glass. “I suppose there are worse crimes, but I’m struggling to think of one right now. Raping a kid…” He grimaced and then took a large gulp of beer.

Ben didn’t know what to say. “Can we talk about something else?”

“Sure, but can you tell me how Deon’s coping, first?”

“He’s okay. He was here with his girlfriend, and the two flew back to Sydney this morning. I’ve been told they were picked up at the airport and he’s back with his club. I don’t know much more than that.”

Ben also knew that Dave was meeting regularly with the Hawthorn club’s psychologist, but he didn’t want to mention that. The focus on Deon had been keeping Dave’s name out of the spotlight, and that was what all the Leopards wanted.

“Thanks.” Andrew tried to smile. “What would you like to talk about?”

“How about you and Eve?” Ben was also struggling to force a smile onto his face, though in his case it was more than just the court case that was dragging him down. “She texted me to say she got home fine on Monday, but I haven’t heard from her since.”

Andrew chuckled, lifting some of the depressing aura that had been present. “I certainly have. We text and chat regularly. She said she was surprised at your behaviour at the airport when we saw her off. She thought you’d avoid Jim or insult him. The fact that you barely reacted to him wasn’t what she expected.”

Ben wasn’t any happier with the new topic of conversation, but he couldn’t change it again without being obvious. “She didn’t say much, either.”

“She wasn’t sure what to say. Eve’s uncomfortable around gays, but she recognises that as her problem, not theirs. She told me she’s trying to shrug off her upbringing, but it’s a struggle.”

“Her upbringing?”

Andrew smiled. “She’s told me about your family and the rants about both religion and homosexuality.” He shrugged. “She’s working harder on overcoming the anti-religion indoctrination, but she said she’s been questioning the anti-gay stuff, too. What about you?”

Ben hesitated before deciding to tell part of the truth. “The religion stuff doesn’t affect me. I’m an atheist, but as long as people don’t try to push their views on me, how they live their lives is up to them.”

“And the anti-gay stuff? You seemed a little uncomfortable with Jim at the airport, but you didn’t show any other negative signs that I could spot.”

Ben hadn’t realised he had been watched that closely. “It’s the same thing. If it doesn’t impact on me, why should I care how others live?”

Andrew cocked his head. “What about the impact on others? No altruism about working towards the greater good?”

“What do you mean?”

Andrew made a face. “You’ve indicated that your views on others are based on whether their opinions affect you. That’s a self-centred point of view. What if they don’t affect you but affect others? Shouldn’t you have an opinion on that? If you know someone is in an abusive relationship, that doesn’t affect you, but shouldn’t you care?”

Ben chuckled. “Are you saying that religion is like an abusive relationship, or is it homosexuality you’re describing?”

“No!” Andrew stared and then laughed. “Okay, what I said did sound like that. The point I was trying to make was that sometimes we need to look at more than just what impacts on us personally. Like, anti-gay rhetoric can lead to bullying and suicide in kids. Just because it doesn’t impact on you personally doesn’t mean it’s not hurting someone. Shouldn’t we care?”

Ben stared, unsure of how to respond. While he had already sensed that Andrew was tolerant about homosexuality, he hadn’t expected a gay-supportive stance. “But aren’t religions one of the core sources of anti-gay rhetoric? How can you say what you just said and be religious?”

Andrew laughed. “You sound just like your sister.” He smiled as he took another sip of his beer. “The mistake both of you have made is treating religion as a monolithic entity. It’s not. Personally, I belong to a church that supports gays. Yes, there are members who have a narrow view on homosexuality, but that’s not everyone. Even in the big churches with formal anti-gay views, there are many members who don’t agree with the official stance. I believe in a God of love. That’s the core of my religious beliefs, and treating others with respect and care is a consequence of those beliefs. That includes gays.”

“So, it’s because your religion is telling you to treat them nicely. You support gays because you have to.”

Andrew shook his head. “I accept gays as part of God’s creation. I try to treat everyone with respect and love; their sexual orientation is irrelevant. To me, the golden rule is to treat others as I would like to be treated. I don’t like being abused or hated, so I do my best to make sure others aren’t, either.”

Ben settled back in his chair. He knew that Eve wouldn’t date someone who wasn’t worthwhile, but Andrew had surprised him. He could see why the two would fight often, but he also remembered what Andrew had said about the fights not being deep. He could see the core person that Eve loved, and he liked what he saw.

“Are you ready for dinner?” Ben grinned. “I think this is a conversation we shouldn’t have on an empty stomach.”

* * *

Mason chuckled as the fifth person to ask Jim for a photo or autograph moved away. “You don’t seem to like the attention, but you’re not resisting very much.”

Tony grinned and answered for his boyfriend. “Jim doesn’t want to upset people. He’ll put up with a lot before he reacts.” He leant over and gave Jim a kiss on the cheek. “But hopefully that’s everyone, and we’ll be able to finish our meal.”

The three were in a small bistro just south of the central business district of Melbourne. With them were Ross and his boyfriend, Warwick. They had barely sat down when the first person approached to speak to Jim.

“Does this happen a lot? I remember you had people coming up to speak to you at the airport, too.”

“It happens enough that I’m cautious about going out in public.” Jim grimaced as he looked down at his steak. “It’s not really bad, but there are times when I’d like to just be myself and not be on display.”

“Aren’t there places to go where that shouldn’t be a problem?” Mason asked. “I mean, places where they’re used to celebrities.”

Tony chuckled. “Jim hates being called a celebrity.”

Jim gave Tony a mock glare before smiling at Mason. “I’m sure there are, but we can’t afford to go to those sorts of places. Tony is also the one who usually books places like this…” he waved a hand to indicate the bistro, “…because he knows all the gay-friendly restaurants. The downside is that with the place being gay-friendly, the patrons tend to want autographs or selfies.”

“You’re a celebrity, but you can’t afford to go somewhere safe to eat?”

Jim was about to respond, but Ross interrupted. “I think I can explain.” He turned to Mason. “Jim’s an AFL footballer, which automatically makes him a minor celebrity. He’s also the only openly gay footballer—”

“Until you’re drafted.” Warwick smiled at Ross, who grimaced in return.

“And we don’t know if that’s going to happen. Please don’t jinx me.” He sighed and gave Mason a wry look. “As I was saying, he’s a celebrity because he’s an AFL player, and he’s the only openly gay one, but he’s also only on the rookie list, which means he’s not paid a lot. Celebrity status doesn’t automatically come with a corresponding income, though I believe he’s getting a bit more than most from product endorsements.”

“And that’s another thing he’s been really cautious about,” Tony said. “Jim knows that everything he does is scrutinised because there are people who want to see him fail.” He smiled at Jim while continuing to talk. “But he’s got me and a lot of other people doing our best to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Mason nodded slowly. “A little bit like my mom. She knows that everything she and my dad does is watched like a hawk by her political rivals. When she’s in public, she’s always aware that anything she says or does could be used against her.” Mason stared down at his food—a chicken-parmigiana-based dish that was called an Aussie Parmigiana on the menu—and decided against saying anything about how even her own son could be used against her, which is how he ended up in Australia. Mason was still convinced that his parents had used the incident at the convenience store as an excuse to ship him out of the country.

“Exactly!” Tony smiled. “Which is why when we go out, we tend to stick to gay-friendly places as much as possible.”

Mason frowned. “Are there places around here that are gay-unfriendly?”

The four other guys exchanged looks. Warwick was the one who finally spoke. “There are a few places I wouldn’t want to wander around after dark, but those places are probably just as much stranger-unfriendly as gay-unfriendly. Being gay may provoke a bit more attention, but they’re not nice places even if you’re not gay.”

Jim made a face. “I think Warwick’s right, at least as far as Melbourne is concerned. That’s probably true for all of the major cities in Australia. Outside of those, it’s a little hit or miss. I hear certainly rural areas can be unfriendly, but then I hear stories that contradict that.”

“Sydney has some very gay-friendly areas but others that are distinctly unfriendly.” Warwick grimaced. “I know that one from experience.”

Mason frowned. “What areas are you talking about? If I’m going to be living there for the next four years, I’d like to know what parts to avoid. I’ll also need to make sure Liam and Neil know, too.”

“The inner-city areas tend to be gay-friendly, and the Darlinghurst area is the heart of the gay community in Sydney, but there are areas in the outer western parts that I wouldn’t want to be open in.” Warwick’s expression was bleak.

“Is that where Deon’s team is located? The Greater Western Sydney Giants?”

Jim shook his head. “They’re based in Homebush—at the old Olympic site. I think Warwick is talking about further west than that.” He raised an eyebrow at Warwick, silently inviting him to comment.

Warwick sighed. “I was with a friend in Sydney a couple of years ago. It was a Saturday afternoon, and we were walking through Parramatta Park when we were accosted by a gang of ethnic youths. I got away, but my friend…” He shook his head. “He was in hospital for a month.”

Tony winced. “Ouch. I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve been to Parramatta a couple of times and while it wasn’t openly gay-friendly, I didn’t get any bad vibes about the place.”

Mason’s brow wrinkled. “Parks can be bad places at times. I know a few back home that should be avoided because of gangs.” He nodded towards Warwick. “It’s what you said earlier about places being stranger-unfriendly. Being gay is just an extra trigger for something to happen, but bad things can happen anyway, even if you’re not gay.”

“I think that’s what Warwick encountered,” Jim said. “I’ve heard there’s been problems with gangs around Parramatta, but it’s only a small number of people involved. However, it doesn’t take many to cause problems.”

Mason understood what Jim was saying. It had only taken one in Los Angeles to disrupt the lives of both Robbie and Mason.

* * *

Mason waited outside the nightclub. The other guys had already gone inside, but Ben had sent a text message indicating he would be there shortly. Mason had volunteered to be there when Ben arrived in case he had any problems in locating the entrance.

Jim had grinned. “Ben’s been here before, Mason. He knows where to go.”

Mason was hoping his expression hadn’t given away his embarrassment. Ben had told him that he’d met Mitchell at the nightclub, but Mason had momentarily forgotten that detail in his rush to find an excuse to wait for Ben.

Tony came to his rescue. “Hey, it’s a pleasant evening. If Mason wants to wait outside for Ben, I don’t have a problem with that. Nothing’s going to happen around here, so why not?”

Mason had given Tony a thank-you smile while ignoring the smirks from Jim and Ross. Warwick had winked but otherwise didn’t do anything to further Mason’s chagrin.

Normally, Mason wouldn’t want to wait in a dim alley by himself, but the security guard being nearby—as well as Tony’s indication that the area was safe—addressed that concern.

“Mason! What are you doing outside?”

Mason grinned and stepped towards Ben. He reached out and pulled Ben in for a welcoming hug and a quick peck on the lips. Mason felt Ben tense and immediately released him. “I was waiting for you.”

“You didn’t need to do that.”

“I know, but I thought it would be nice.” Mason had enjoyed dinner with the other guys, but Ben was the person he was most comfortable with. It was strange to Mason, but with both Dexter and Ben he felt something that allowed him to relax. He didn’t know why, but he definitely wanted more of it.

“It was. Thank you.” Ben hesitated before leaning forward and giving Mason a return kiss.

With both grinning and Mason’s arm across Ben’s shoulders, the two entered the nightclub. Mason could tell that Ben was nervous but also excited. Mason hoped that he was a part of that excitement.

Ben pointed across the room as he put his mouth next to Mason’s ear so he could be heard over the music without raising his voice. “They’re over there.”

Mason nodded, and the two soon joined the others in a corner booth. Jim, Ross, and Warwick had beers while Tony was sipping a mixed drink. Tony volunteered to buy drinks for the newcomers while Jim headed to the bathroom, leaving Ross and Warwick with Ben and Mason.

Ross leant forward to make sure he would be heard. “We’re going for a dance. Mind our drinks for us?”

Ben nodded, and with that, Ben and Mason found themselves alone.

“Would you like a dance when the others get back?” Mason asked.

Ben smiled. “Sure!”

“You seem more relaxed now.”

“It’s safe here. I can be myself.”

Mason understood what Ben was saying. He had been experiencing the same since arriving in Australia. With no one to watch out for, no one to hassle him, he didn’t have to hide who he was.

“The others are off dancing?” Jim asked as he returned.

“Yep!” Ben grinned at Mason. “We’re going to join them.”

Before he could move, though, there was a flash of light. The three at the table turned to see one of the other club members looking at something on his phone.

“No…” Ben’s face was so pale it was noticeable, even in the dim light of the nightclub.

Jim rose. “Leave it to me.” He strode over to the person who had taken the photo.

When Ben started to shake, Mason pulled him close. “It’ll be okay.”

“But if they post it online…” Ben didn’t appear able to complete the statement.

Mason held a trembling Ben against his chest while staring across to where Jim was talking to the photographer. Jim then stood with the other guy and they both smiled as the phone was held up for another photo.

“All fixed,” Jim said as he sat down. “He’s deleted the other photo, Ben. You don’t have to worry about it.”

“What did you tell him?” Mason asked as he felt Ben slowly calming down.

“That I’m with someone who’s not out and who can’t afford to appear in a picture with me.” Jim reached over and put a hand on Ben’s shoulder. “He understood, Ben, and deleted the picture.”

Ben pulled away from Mason and took a deep breath. He gave Jim a weak smile. “Maybe I shouldn’t be here.”

“Hey, it’ll be okay. Most people don’t take pictures without asking, so don’t worry about it.” Jim smiled. “Nothing like that happened last time we were here, did it? This is a one-off. It’s unlikely to happen again.”

Ben stared at Jim and then turned to Mason with a question in his eyes. Mason smiled. “Jim’s right. Most people aren’t that rude. And with this being a gay club, I think even more of them will be conscious of privacy.” He raised an eyebrow at Jim, asking him to confirm his statement.

Jim nodded. “It’ll be fine, Ben. And if it does happen again, I’ll repeat what I just did: give the guy a photo with me in exchange for deleting the one he shouldn’t’ve taken.”

Ben’s body slowly relaxed. Mason waited a moment and then took Ben’s hand. Standing up, he smiled down at Ben. “How about that dance?”

Ben’s return smile was still laced with worry, but he allowed Mason to lead him onto the dance floor. By the time the two returned to the corner booth, Ben was relaxed, and both were sweaty.

Tony grinned. “You two look like you’ve had a good time.”

Mason chuckled. “Do you know Ollie?”

Jim rolled his eyes. “Everyone knows Ollie. Why?”

“Because I’m sure he’d reply with something along the lines of having the best possible time outside of a bedroom.”

Ross laughed. “Wrong! He’d never say anything like that.”

Mason frowned. He was sure he’d worked out enough of Oliver’s personality to guess at his response.

Ross continued. “He would’ve said he was having the best possible time without sex.” He grinned. “Ollie doesn’t restrict sex to the bedroom.”

Mason shrugged and gave him a wry smile. “You’re probably right.”

Warwick pushed a couple of unopened water bottles towards them. “Your beers are still here, but you might prefer these right now.”

“Thanks!” Ben twisted the lid off one of the bottles and took two quick gulps.

Mason drank his water more slowly before putting the lid back on and picking up his beer. He hesitated for a moment, but he felt he could trust the guys he was with. Even if someone had managed to spike the drink, he knew Ben would look after him.

He turned to Ben. “You are having a good time, aren’t you?”

Ben leant forward and gave Mason a slow, gentle kiss on the lips. “The best possible time outside of the bedroom.” He grinned. “I wish I could stay here like this, but since I can’t, I’m hoping you’ll come back home with me when we leave.”

Mason grinned back at Ben as he made a decision. It was just over three weeks until his university orientation would start and he would take possession of the unit near Liam and Clarissa. He had originally intended to do a little touring around the country—visiting Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef in particular—but he now had other priorities.

For the next three weeks, Mason was going to spend as much time with Ben as Ben would allow.. Mason didn’t know what would happen when he returned to Sydney, but he would worry about that later.

* * *

José Rodriguez stared up at the cracked ceiling of the Mexican hovel Pedro’s cousin had provided. The next day would hopefully be the last time he’d have to cross the border back into the U.S.A. carrying drugs. If there were no mess-ups, Pedro had indicated that he’d have paid off all his debts and would be ready to travel to Australia.

The ticket he was buying was for a flight in late February. That would give José time to plan how to deal with Mason. He had already discovered online that buying a gun in Australia was probably not viable, at least not openly. He could ask around to see if anyone had a contact he could use once he arrived in Sydney, but if that didn’t work out, buying a knife was a backup option.

José smiled. He was okay with a gun, but he was more comfortable with a knife. He was confident he could dispatch his target once he was close enough. The main problem would be, first, finding Mason and then creating an opportunity to act without getting caught.

After a suggestion from Pedro, José had started monitoring Mason’s social-media accounts and then those of Mason’s friends. From a post made by someone called Jeremy, José knew that Mason would be attending the University of Sydney. That led him to do some checking on the university. One of the pages he saw mentioned what they called an orientation week for new students. José wasn’t sure how hard it would be to find Mason, but on the map the university didn’t look too large. He figured mingling with the other new students was his best bet to locate his prey. He would need to be careful to not be spotted in return, but initially all he needed to do was to locate his target.

“One more month,” he whispered to himself. One more month, maybe a little longer, and his problems would be over.

Copyright © 2018 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I better get my comment in early this week, so I can hope for a reply. ;) 

It would be nice if Ollie grew up a bit, but at least Charlie wasn't there to be embarrassed too. It was bad enough for Ben who's still trying to be comfortable with the whole boyfriend idea. It won't be easy for Mason to get Ben to spend time with him in public, because they'll stand out together as a couple, especially if they're with Jim or Ross. And we've just seen another bad consequence of Mason's parents not telling him the truth - it's too easy for the nasty guys to check him out. Robbie was a lot more clever in his disappearing act.

I'm almost surprised Deon wasn't approached by more people, but at least the couple who did were not too bad. Hopefully, the trial will soon be over and the attention will be on the bad guy getting what he deserves. Or some other big news will grab the headlines - anything big happen in early February 2015 ? Hmm not really according to Wikipedia, and I guess the Valentine's Day shootings in Copenhagen may not have been big news in Australia and is to far in the future anyway.

It was nice to see Mason being integrated in the Leopard family, it's just what he needs, and Julia is like the big sister he's never had. I'm not sure she'll approve if Mason moves in with Ben while he's in Melbourne. It would be too distracting. But someone will probably help out, since that's what Leopards do. And Mason won't be happy if his stupid father starts asking about him staying at a hotel i Melbourne for three weeks.

PS What was up with the brat when he was seeing Deon and Clarissa off ? I know you can't tell me, but will we find out eventually ?

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Hi, @Timothy M. I will reply to your post on chapter 14, but I need a little more time to think about it :)

 

Okay, regarding Ollie...if he grew up, would he still be the same Ollie? Some people simply never grow up, and Ollie is one of those people. He's loving and affectionate, but being serious is difficult for him.

 

Deon is currently in the 'minor celebrity' category. People know of him. but given the circumtances of his celebrity status, more people will be reluctant to approach him. As for other real-world events, there are few that I've ignored. The Lindt siege in December where two people died (one of which was the gay manager) is one of those events. The Charlie Hedbo shooting is another. I'm sorry, but there is only so much I can include.

 

Regarding why Ty wasn't there to see Deon and Clarissa fly back to Sydney, the simplest explanation is that he has work commitments that prevented him from doing so. He's got a full time job, after all, even if he's got the support of Paddy, he can't do whatever he wants. He'll push the boundaries when it's important, but he's going to see Deon and Clarissa again in March. He probably decided it wasn't worth annoying his club by skipping training and other club activities, just to see them off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2018 at 10:40 AM, Graeme said:

As for other real-world events, there are few that I've ignored. 

Regarding why Ty wasn't there to see Deon and Clarissa fly back to Sydney, the simplest explanation is that he has work commitments that prevented him from doing so. He's got a full time job, after all, even if he's got the support of Paddy, he can't do whatever he wants. He'll push the boundaries when it's important, but he's going to see Deon and Clarissa again in March. He probably decided it wasn't worth annoying his club by skipping training and other club activities, just to see them off.

I've no complaint about you ignoring real-world events, I just wanted something big to take the attention away from the trial, but there was nothing international for the end of January and start of February. Of course, I don't know if there was any juicy Australian scandal to grab the media.

Uhm - I don't understand the latter part of your explanation, Ty did go with Deon and Clarissa to the airport. The incident I'm thinking about is this:

Quote

Clarissa rolled her eyes before grinning and giving Ty a hug of her own. “Karen knows I will. My turn to remind you to look after her.”

“I always do.” Ty stepped back as a flicker of some unidentified emotion crossed his face. 

But perhaps it was simply Ty remembering Karen being upset with him, when he tried to dominate her at the beginning of their relationship.

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Ah...okay. You should know me by know that I don't give everything away. Clarissa has reminded Ty of something. Given the history between Ty and Karen, there are many possible events that he could be remembering at that time. I'm not going to try to decide which it could be :D Karen is a strong person in her own right, and Ty knows that. Looking after her is something that takes tact, because he knows that he can't stomp on her own independence in the process (remember the incident where he tried to pay for lunch over her objections, back in Leopard Spots? He almost lost her when he did that).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2018 at 11:07 AM, Graeme said:

 Looking after her is something that takes tact, because he knows that he can't stomp on her own independence in the process (remember the incident where he tried to pay for lunch over her objections, back in Leopard Spots? He almost lost her when he did that).

Yep, that's exactly the incident I was thinking about as a possible explanation for Ty's wince. I'm glad it was only a bad memory and not a sign of a current issue.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, that was an event-filled chapter.  Lots going on. I always enjoy Ollie's banter and it seems to be helping  Ben adjust to being out, even if it's to a limited group.  Speaking of which,  it looks like he may be heading in the direction of trusting Andrew with his secret. And it must help to have an accurate assessment of his sister's attitude towards gay people. Mason and Ben continue to be adorable. I like that Mason is planning to spend most of the next three weeks in Melbourne. Although there are hints that he might have to choose between Ben and Dexter at some point. 

 

It was interesting to hear that both Melbourne and Sydney have less savory areas, although I suppose that's true of all large cosmopolitan cities.  Btw,  what are ethnic youths? 

 

Thanks for another great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter. So much happened to move the story along - looking forward to the next installment!

 

I do wonder why, in the conversation about “unsavory places” in Sydney and Melbourne, Mason didn’t ask about places to be careful about for Black people. As a Black American, being a Black person in a predominantly white environment probably would have been forefront on his mind. I’m surprised that race didn’t come up at all in the conversation, save the mention of “ethnic youth”. I’m with @impunity in that I don’t know what that means. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, @impunity and @CscottyCA.

 

Australia is very much a multicultural society. Historically, when a new cultural group arrives, they tend to stick together and live in the same general area as others from the same cultural group. After a generation or two, the children of those cultures are more integrated into the rest of the Australian community, but the legacy can still live on. For example, there is a part of Melbourne that's well known for it's Italian community, even if the area is no longer considered to be Italian.

 

Currently, the recent ethnic groups that haven't fully integrated yet are those from the war-torn areas of Africa and the Middle East. Warwick was being polite when he used the phrase 'ethnic youths' to indicate that the group that attacked him and his friend were from one of those groups. He didn't say what nationality the youths were from, but given the location, they were most likely to be from the Middle East. The African-born population is more to the south, around Bankstown.

 

Regarding being a black American, Mason hasn't experienced any real racism in Australia yet, and his initial impressions is that the colour of a person's skin isn't a big factor. That's true in the areas that Mason has been in so far, but he may learn that's not universally true at some point depending on where he goes.

 

Australia doesn't have the same history with respect to African-born people as the USA, but it does have a history of racial abuse towards Australian Aborigines. However, there are distinct differences in facial features between people of African descent and Australian Aboriginies. As such, most people who may harbour prejudice against Australian Aborigines will quickly realise that Mason is not an aborigine. Whether they still hold a prejudice after realising that is up to the individual.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another excellent chapter, hmm long distance relationships are hard work.

I hope that Jose gets busted with the drugs on him. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, Bft said:

Another excellent chapter, hmm long distance relationships are hard work.

I hope that Jose gets busted with the drugs on him. 

Yes, long distance relationships are hard work, but Melbourne and Sydney are only an hour apart from plane, and Mason has access to enough money to make the trip regularly. The main issue will be finding the time...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..