Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 423 Words
  • 1,706 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nordia Incident - 1. The Nordia Incident

Alliance Senate

Naval Affairs Committee

Parliament

20 May 2549

 

The sergeant at arms approached the podium, struck the gavel and announced, “This inquiry into the incident which occurred in the Nordia star system on or about 23 April of this year will now come to order. This is a closed session and I remind all present that these proceedings are covered under the Official Secrets Act. The honorable Senator Starnes, chairman of the committee presiding, all rise.”

All of the uniformed naval officers, senators and, their staffs rose. Senator Starnes approached the podium. The former attorney and judge from Lone Star approached the podium. He put a computer pad down in front of him and then looked up at the crowd. He said, “Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I appreciate your attention to this matter. Please be seated.”

He reached down to his computer pad and swiped a finger across its face and said, “I do hereby formally call to order this committee’s formal inquiry into the events that occurred on or about April 23rd of this year. Ordinarily proceedings of this nature would fall under the Judge Advocate General purview; however given the intense interest in this case and the political firestorm that it has provoked, I have asked the JAG’s office to convene their board here. This is a Fleet proceeding. The senators are advised that they are here only to observe.

The purpose of this inquiry is two-fold: first, we need to determine if the local naval commander acted properly and within the ambit of his authority. Second, we need to establish if the facts require further inquiry. This is a Ministry of Defense matter so, at this time, I hand the proceedings to Admiral William Jennings, Judge Advocate General, Fleet District 1.”

Jennings was the Alliance Fleet’s most senior JAG officer. It had been years since he had presided over a formal inquiry but from his bearing no one would have ever guessed it. He stood tall and ramrod straight as he began, “This Board of Inquiry having been called to order and all of the testifying officers and other Alliance personnel sworn is now convened.”

“Three Senior naval officers have been empaneled for this board: Rear Admiral Samuel Stewart, commanding CruRon 7, Commodore William Channing commanding officer of Parliament Station and Rear Admiral Chan Liao commanding DesDiv 12.

“I am the senior officer and will serve as the President of the Board. Captain Bradly Scott will serve as General Counsel. Captain Scott, you may begin.”

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..