Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 1,063 Words
  • 1,330 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nordia Incident - 6. Special Agent Anthony Burrows

Captain Scott announced, “The board now calls Special Agent Anthony Burrows of the Alliance Bureau of Investigation.”

A solid looking man in his late-fifties stood and approached the bench. Captain Scott said, “Agent Burrows, you understand that you are under oath?”

He answered, “Yes sir, I do.”

Scott said, “Please take the stand.”

As Burrows took the stand, Captain Scott took a quick look at his computer pad and then at his watch. Apparently he was satisfied with what he saw.

Once Burrows was settled in the witness box, Captain Scott said, “Agent Burrows, could you please tell us how an agent as senior as you would be assigned to a post like Nordia Station?”

Burrows grinned wryly and said, “When I discussed retirement with the bureau, we made a deal. I would open a bureau mission on Nordia Station and stay on for five years. Once Nordia starts taking colonists, the bureau will open a field office there.”

Captain Scott asked, “Once Mrs. Ruiz brought you into the case, how did you proceed?”

“We kept the investigation very quiet. I knew from the photographs the insurance investigators took that a bucket of snakes had landed in my lap. I wasn’t sure exactly sure how poisonous those snakes were but I knew that I needed help to proceed. I sent a message to our main office on Parliament requesting that a team be sent and requested assistance from the investigators. My first move was to go aboard Brisbane Maru with Mrs. Ruiz’s team to collect evidence.”

Scott asked, “Why did you feel the need to collect more evidence?”

Burrows replied, “There were two reasons. First, Mrs. Ruiz’s team, are good but they are civilians. I needed to collect evidence and establish a clear chain of custody of that evidence if we were ever to take this to court. Second, my investigation had different objectives than that of the insurance investigators. They were interested in the cause of the fire. I was interested in the people who died in those containers.”

Scott asked, “What evidence did you collect?”

Burrows said, “Tissue samples from the corpses found. I was familiar with a scientist working on genetically modified organisms for terraforming on the planet. He had the expertise and equipment necessary to look at some of the tissue samples I brought out.”

Scott said, “That was Dr. Frank Altman?

Burrows answered, “Yes.”

Scott asked, “How was he employed by DESERD Corporation?”

Burrows said, “Dr. Altman’s title is Chief Genetic Engineer for the Nordia Project. I doubt that any court would have any trouble certifying him as an expert.”

Scott asked, “What were Dr. Altman’s findings?”

Burrows answered, “He discovered markers in all of the tissue samples showing patented human genes.”

Captain Scott asked, “What are the implications of that discovery?”

Burrows answered, “It implies that someone in the Corporate Sector is violating the Human Genome Act on an industrial scale.”

The gallery erupted in surprise. There was a sudden cacophony of voices as people started talking and shouting.

Jennings struck his gavel and used his voice masterfully. “Order in this court. The next person to speak out of order will be ejected from these proceedings.”

Captain Scott asked, “How can you make that statement from a few tissue samples?”

Burrows replied, “I couldn’t make that conclusion with the tissue samples alone. However, that conclusion is obvious when you add it to the totality of the evidence and the history associated with the Human Genome Act.”

Captain Scott said, “Please describe the rest of the evidence.”

Burrows said, “The next day a full forensics team from the Bureau arrived. We set them up in a vacant lab on Nordia Station and I handed them evidence that I personally collected and signed for. They reached the same conclusions as Aultman.

“Before the Human Genome Act regulated genetic engineering of humans a decade ago, artificial genes were patented. The holder of those patents was a company named HumGen. When the Human Genome Act put them out of business, a holding company named the New Nippon Group purchased the company and its assets including patents. That company is owned by Nakajima TransStellar.”

This time an angry buzz made its way through the gallery. Again Jennings pounded his gavel. “If there is any further disruption, I will clear the gallery. Captain Scott, please proceed.”

Scott said, “Agent Burrows, you made the rather stunning allegation that someone is violating the Human Genome Act on an industrial scale. Could you please explain your statement?”

Burrows said, “I believe there is sufficient circumstantial evidence to make that charge. Those cargo containers were purpose built for the task. Each one carried four thousand people. According to her log Brisbane Maru has made the run from Pelenor to the HG 8180 system some thirty-six times this calendar year alone.”

Scott’s voice asked quietly, “What is the significance of the HD 8180 system?”

Burrows said, “The HD 8180 system contains a super-earth planet. It is located in the Corporate Sector twenty-two light years from the Nordia System. The planet was discovered before interstellar flight. When it was surveyed, it turned out to be a mineralogical treasure house, but no one could operate there because it’s a heavy gravity world. Its gravity is over three times standard.”

“All of the scientists that have looked at the genetic data have concluded that the people who died in the holds of the Brisbane Maru were engineered specifically to live in work in a high gravity environment. It is my opinion that Brisbane Maru was the modern equivalent of a slave ship.”

This provoked a small riot in the gallery.

Jennings pounded his gavel for order and said, “I was not kidding. This is my last warning. I will clear the gallery unless order is maintained.”

Captain Scott said, “One more question, Agent Burrows. Where did those pictures in the media come from?”

Burrows said, “The Alliance News Network had a team aboard Nordia Station. They were doing a special on Nordia as it is the next planet that will open up for colonization. Apparently they got wind of what was going on and sent a team over to Brisbane Maru. That is where those horrific pictures in the media came from.”

Captain Scott said, “Thank you Agent Burrows. Given the hour, I move that we adjourn for lunch.”

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..