Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 664 Words
  • 1,635 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nordia Incident - 8. The Board

Rear Admiral Chan Liao, Rear Admiral Samuel Stewart and Commodore William Channing entered the conference room in order of seniority. They were attended by a navy steward in immaculate whites who left a pot of coffee and cups on a side table.

The steward asked if the officers needed anything and excused himself when they declined.

Liao said, “What was it that Bureau Agent called this—a bucket of snakes?”

All three chuckled but there was a tone of bitterness in their laughter.

Stewart said, “Most appropriate I think. We are damned if we do and we’re damned if we don’t.”

Channing sighed and said, “If we find against Commander Glenn, we break faith with our men.”

Liao said, “If we do find his actions appropriate and force a major investigation aimed at a big TransStellar…”

Stewart asked, “Could the Corporate Sector… are they crazy enough to force a Civil War over this?”

“I don’t know Sam”, Liao said. “If they are mass producing people, there is no telling what they’ve got out there. There were sixteen thousand people on that ship and there are forty-six of them in service. How many do you want to bet are transporting the same complex organics?”

Stewart said, “How many such complex organics have already been transported?”

Commodore Channing said, “I don’t know about you but I got the distinct impression from the political types that they want us to make this all go away.”

Stewart said, “I did too Bill. When the story first broke in the media, there were a lot of fire-brands beating the drum. Then when the implications of just how big a shit-storm this is, they started urging restraint and floating alternate theories.”

Liao said, “I don’t know about you but I have to find for Commander Glenn. He acted in the best traditions of the service. He did everything right, everything by the book. Do we all agree?”

Stewart and Channing both nodded.

Stewart said, “The other question. That’s the one that has the booby trap attached.”

Channing laughed and said, “I suppose we are the boobies that got trapped with it.”

Liao thumbed through his pad and quoted: “do we have sufficient cause and evidence to forward this case to the Criminal Investigations Division of the Alliance Bureau of Investigation for further investigation and possible legal action?

Channing said, “The way I see it, the two questions are linked. If Glenn acted properly, we can’t ignore those findings. I can see no fault in Glenn’s actions.”

Steward said, “I have never been comfortable with the Corporate Sectors charter. A whole sector set aside for the Corporations to act unregulated? That’s just asking for trouble. They are already arguing that the Human Genome Act doesn’t apply in their space.”

Liao said, “It is my understanding that the entire rationale for the Human Genome Act was to prevent just this sort of abuse.”

Stewart sighed and said, “I was a junior officer when the act was passed. Outlaw labs were making sex slaves and there were experiments that would make a Billy Goat puke. It was Senator Kelly’s idea that really sold the idea. He argued that genetically modified humans could cause humanity to diverge as a species.”

Liao said, “That and a large dose of fear. People were scared Sam. They were scared that they would have to compete with perfect people. It was a mess then and it looks like an even bigger one now.”

There was silence for a moment. All three officers had been serving when the HGA was passed and had witnessed the controversy associated with it.

Channing said, “That Bureau Agent put it in perspective. What did he say—the modern equivalent of a slave ship.”

Stewart said, “It sounds like we’re all in accord?”

Channing and Liao both nodded.

Stewart said, “Then we have to draft a statement.”

Liao smiled and said, “I think I know just the right person to deliver it.”

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..