Jump to content
Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    Jeff Burton
  • Author
  • 1,690 Words
  • 1,022 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is safe for everyone. No scenes of sexual contact.

Rideshare Run-in - 1. Chapter 1

It’s only a side hustle I told myself. Something to do at night instead of drink or smoke since that’s what single people seem to do when they’re utterly alone in life. Since I’m rather boring instead of being all woe is me and look for the solution to my troubles at the end of an empty bottle I decided to sign me and my late model Chevrolet Impala up for work doing ride-share.

I’m in my late 30’s headed for my next decade of disappointment at warp speed wondering when it will slow down a little so I can catch up. I’m of moderate height, and in decent shape. If you want to call ‘slightly round’ decent shape.

The night was progressing, I had actually made some money tonight. I live in a college town so mid week its usually busy with over there for some reason with house parties, under-aged drinking and sometimes frat inspired debauchery although I’m not complaining because I’ll look as I drive by.

I think they all know I look.

The app pinged for my attention and I glanced at the phone sitting securely in its dash mount and tapped accept on the next trip. It wasn’t as close as I’d like it, in fact I had to turn around. The street lights cast their yellow beams on the empty streets as I swung the boat around.

I glanced at the clock on the radio as the music finally switched to some Jonny Lang on my play list and I rolled down the window to enjoy the fresh air as we cruised the surface streets.

As I got closer to the destination the GPS marker for the rider, and the pickup point didn’t match up. Sometimes this happens, either the rider doesn’t know the exact address, or they mess up setting the marker, or they’re just so drunk they forget what they just did and they go for a walk.

I sighed. This trip wasn’t looking too good. I don’t have anything against drunk people except the fact that they’re so damned unpredictable. Are they going to be angry, happy, chill? Are they going to throw up in my car? I haven’t had that happen yet and I really didn’t want to experience it personally.

The thing I really didn’t want to experience above even vomit, is the violent drunk. The one that wants to fight. I’ve done it and trust me you don’t want any part of it. I can hold my own but it usually ends up involving the cops, plus a complaint to the ride share company, followed by an investigation that disables my account till its over. God please no violent drunks tonight I thought as I reached the pickup point.

The app did its thing and started the pickup timer and I sent the message to the rider that I had arrived and looked at the map view because as I said, the pickup marker said one thing, GPS position of the rider said something else. I looked around, this was a public park that was totally empty. It didn’t even have the homeless trying to sleep on a bench.

I thought for a moment about canceling the trip, but the GPS position was close, just deeper into the neighborhood in this part of the suburbs.

I was curious so I put it back into drive and headed in the direction of the GPS ping, and as I got closer the location became more apparent.
I glanced at the clock as the street lights disappeared into this rather dark neighborhood lit only by the occasional street light. As I rounded a corner I saw him. My head lights bounced off him as I came around the corner. Some college kid maybe 19, no older than 21 sitting on the curb in the dark all alone having an animated conversation on his phone.

He was about the same height as me, maybe a touch shorter defiantly thinner so my brained eased knowing if he was violent, I could handle it.

I stopped and rolled down the window.

“Hey dude, you call for a ride?” I asked.

He paused at me a moment as his conversation stopped and at that point I caught his face as I flipped on the interior lights.

He had been crying, no was still crying and the sheer terror in his eyes scared me. I’ve never in my life received a look like that. I pulled my phone off the dock and opened the door which made him stand up.

I immediately held my phone up towards him and my other hand up in a non-threatening gesture. His eyes quickly darted from me, then to my phone then back to me again.

Finally he spoke. “Mom hang on the someone finally came.”

I opened the front passenger door as he followed me around the car. Normally I have people ride in the back but I wanted to keep my eye on this guy.

He sat down and I shut the car and he started crying again, and I’ll never forget that voice of defeat as I got back in as he said “Mom those bastards left me but the fucking ride share driver of all people found me. Someone finally fucking found me.”

I didn’t say anything as I put the car back into drive he finished his conversation with his mother before we got back onto the main road.

I looked at him as he put his phone down and wiped his eyes.

“I’m Jeff.” I said.

“Ethan.” he replied.

“Ethan if you don’t mind me asking but what happened.”

His face winced as another volley of tears started. “I was with my friends and we were supposed to go back to the dorm but the plans changed and I didn’t want to go so they just kicked me out.”

“Seriously?” I asked in shock.
And I tried to get a ride through the app and people just kept canceling. Then these creepy dudes showed up at the park trying to get me to go with them and I just fucking ran for it” he said as he cried.

“I’m from out of state going to school here. I don’t know where to go my phone kept losing signal so I just walked around until I could make a call.”

I just nodded silently digesting everything he just said.

“You’re safe with me dude I’ve got the address you put in and that’s where we are going.” I said finally. His hand immediately latched onto my free right hand and I could feel him shaking in his seat.

“it’s going to be alright Ethan, I promise. I’ll get you home.”

The rest of the trip he gave me the details of his evening, and how he was ditched. I was mad, and disappointed in humanity as the details came forth.

What must his mom think? Receiving that phone call in the middle of the night, states away from her child not able to do anything about it. I felt as bad for her as I did him.

Ethan let go of my hand when his phone started ringing. He looked at the screen with disgust and answered it.

“HOW FUCKING COULD YOU, YOU PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT. YOU LEFT ME ON THE GODDAMN ROAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT. DON’T FUCKING CALL ME EVER AGAIN,” he raged then hung up.

“That was about as eloquent as I would have been in your place Ethan, in fact I’ve said worse for much less.” I replied as he wiped his eyes yet again.

He started to calm down more visibly as we got into areas of town he recognized.

Soon we arrived on campus, and made our way to his dorm building specified in the address he listed as his destination.

Now I didn’t have to do it but I felt so bad for this guy. I put the car in park and got out as he did.

“I want to make sure you get in the building dude. I’ll sleep better tonight knowing your fully where your supposed to be.” I reasoned as I followed him up the walk to the front door.

He pulled out his student ID which gave him access to the building and as he got to the door and put a hand on it, he turned around looked at me came back down the steps and jumped into a hug wrapping his arms around me.

“Thank you so much Jeff for finding me.” he said whispering in my ear.

I was stunned for a moment but returned the hug with the same ferocity, “my pleasure Ethan,” was all I could say.

“Call your mom when you get back inside. She’s probably still worried.” I offered as he let go.

He gave me a nod and finally a real smile.

I stood there as he went into the building and I walked back to the car thinking about this very short but eventful half hour of my evening.

I went back to the car and sat in it silently for a few moments collecting myself before starting the engine.

Another ride request popped up, I ignored it then signed out of the app. After that I was definitely done for the night.

As I drove home I couldn’t help but to think about my own experiences with people and the lack of compassion some have for others. It just blew my mind people could, and would do that.

More importantly I thought of Ethan and wondered what would have happened if I hadn’t accepted that request, or if I hadn’t been around to accept it. Would there have been another Jeff out there driving those lonely nights away with my level of compassion, and I was scared when I thought probably not.

“Sleep well dude, I hope your tomorrow is a better day.” I prayed as I pulled into the driveway at home, because hopefully it wasn’t any worse than his night had been.

It's been a long time since I've ever posted anything online so I figured I would start with a short story that did actually happen. Of course I left all the relevant details out of the story for sake of privacy. Comments are always appreciated and yes I will be posting other content soon.
Copyright © 2023 Jeff Burton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 9
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice autobiographical piece. Ethan was lucky to have you as his driver that night. I take Uber quite often. I've met some super people that way. Nice job, Jeff!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have to agree with the good doctor @drsawzall again, this story does beg for another chapter or two. 

I liked Jeff's sense of humour, although he is perhaps a little harsh on himself, something I can relate to very well (although I am significantly older than Jeff).

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Summerabbacat said:

I have to agree with the good doctor @drsawzall again, this story does beg for another chapter or two. 

I liked Jeff's sense of humour, although he is perhaps a little harsh on himself, something I can relate to very well (although I am significantly older than Jeff).

I'm actually thinking of turning it into a mini series of different trips, because what happened in chapter one actually did happen almost word for word. All I did was change his name. And yes, I'm typically hard on myself.

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Jeff Burton said:

And yes, I'm typically hard on myself.

It shows a bit in your writing, Jeff. But perhaps that’s what makes your writing so interesting.  You are my GA find of 2023. Keep it up, please.   🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Still thinking about turning this into a series, I've had a few more memorable trips I could probably write about.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 4/27/2023 at 10:48 PM, Jeff Burton said:

Still thinking about turning this into a series, I've had a few more memorable trips I could probably write about.

Jeff, I concur with other reader's comments.

You most certainly should post more. Your style, being autobiographical is refreshing, and one that is relatable. MP

MP

In your closing you said: "It's been a long time since I've ever posted anything online so I figured I would start with a short story that did actually happen", along with "And yes, I'm typically hard on myself."  

Jeff you can stop being hard on yourself or being overly critical of your writing. That's what editors are for 😉, although as an editor, my own style is to guide writers, offer suggestions and yes to correct if necessary but never harshly. So please bring us more stories "from the road".

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 1
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Jeff, I concur with other reader's comments.

You most certainly should post more. Your style, being autobiographical is refreshing, and one that is relatable. MP

MP

In your closing you said: "It's been a long time since I've ever posted anything online so I figured I would start with a short story that did actually happen", along with "And yes, I'm typically hard on myself."  

Jeff you can stop being hard on yourself or being overly critical of your writing. That's what editors are for 😉, although as an editor, my own style is to guide writers, offer suggestions and yes to correct if necessary but never harshly. So please bring us more stories "from the road".

Many thanks. Over the last month, I've become less critical of myself.  My writing much like myself, is a work in progress. Though my writing style has felt a little odd to me, sometimes it even feels wrong compared to what others do yet I'm encouraged to keep doing it like that because the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I do have many more stories such as this, I may just add chapters to this one, each chapter being a different experience. A lot of my experiences involve a lot of compassion on my part, there are a couple though that were just downright dangerous and I'll try to include those as well, to bring awareness if anything else.  Thanks for the feedback @Anton_Cloche, it's given me some stuff to think about.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..