Jump to content
    jian_sierra
  • Author
  • 806 Words
  • 1,791 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Photograph - 1. Chapter 1

My Christmas present to everyone :) Enjoy!

“Come on, out with it.”

Steve slowly turned to the chair where his sister, Norah, sat. “Out with what? You’ve only been here five minutes so you better not be inquiring about my love life.” His face showed a mix of disbelief and worry.

“Or lack thereof.” A smile peeked at her lips, but it vanished when she saw the crease of her older brother’s eyebrows. Norah managed a small cough. “Anyway, I wasn’t asking about that. I’m more interested in him.” With a flick of her finger, she motioned at the photograph lying on top of the fireplace adorned with Christmas decorations.

“Him?” Steve shifted his gaze and his eyes mellowed slightly. “You already know about him, Norah. What more do you want to know?”

Dropping her gaze, she picked at a fiber sticking out of the chair she sat on. “Is he really just a friend? If you think you’re protecting me, you don’t have to. I see the way you look at the picture, at him.”

“I keep forgetting you’re not a little girl anymore. How old are you again? Twenty?” He sat on the sofa to the side of Norah’s chair. “He was more than a friend. I didn’t tell you not because I don’t trust you. It was in the past, that’s all.”

Standing up, she moved on the sofa next to Steve and linked her arm around his. “Hey, I’m not mad that you didn’t tell me, but I want you to know that I’m ok with it. You’re my brother and you’ve taken care of me since after our parents died so I don’t have to tell you to let you know I love you no matter what.”

He smiled but said nothing while his eyes watered with tears. Norah blinked away tears of her own.

“Hey, don’t go emotional on me. I still want to know about him.” When he remained silent, she looked at him and the blush on his cheeks made her mouth drop. “Oh, no. No, I don’t wanna know about the intimate… stuff. Please, you’re my brother! I want to know what happened between you two. Why are you not together anymore?”

“Because of me.” His voice cracked and he hid his face from Norah. “Kevin’s an amazing guy and I was so much in love with him. I still am, I think. Not that it matters. He’s gone. I… I made him run away from me.”

“Steve--”

“It’s the truth, Norah. Whenever I think about it, I’m ashamed at myself. You should have seen me back then. I was always in his case about something. Most of the time, I was jealous and angry. It got to the point when all we did was fight until he took off. I don’t blame him, it was all me.”

Tears flowed freely from his face. Norah leaned against his brother and gave him a one-armed hug. “Where was I during this time?”

Patting her shoulder, he planted a kiss on her head. “I was twenty-five and you, my dear, were busy being a teenager.”

“Oh.” She pursed her lips as a solemn expression crossed her face. “You should have told me. It sounded to me like you really needed somebody during that time. I’m sorry it happened as it did.”

Breathing hard to clear the emotions that gripped him, he shook Norah softly. “There was nothing you could really do even if I told you. I was in a bad place that time. It was like I was a completely different person. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late.”

“Why didn’t you try again?”

He smiled bitterly. “Didn’t have time. I busied myself with work. That and I didn’t feel I deserved a second chance.”

“Steve, you made a mistake. Everyone does. It doesn’t mean you should make yourself pay because of it. You deserve to be happy.”

“I knew it would somehow turn to this.” Steve’s hollow laughter sounded for a second. “If I promise I’d try dating again, would that get you off my back?”

“It would!” A triumphant gleam appeared on her eyes. “Steve, I sort of asked a guy to join us for Christmas dinner. Hope that’s okay.”

“Since when did you ask for my permission to date someone?” Before she could answer, the bell rang. “Why don’t you get that while I get another plate from the cupboard. Good thing I made allowances when cooking.”

While Steve prepared a seat for Norah’s guest, she and her friend appeared on the doorway. “Steve, I’d like you to meet Mr. Sullivan.”

“Nice to meet you Mr…” He dropped the fork he held in his hand as his eyes landed on Kevin’s face. Leaning against the table, he helped himself to a chair.

“Merry Christmas, Steve.”

Thanks for reading. Please leave a review if you want :)
Copyright © 2011 jian_sierra; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/26/2011 02:57 AM, Marzipan said:
Cute. Lovely Christmas present from Norah. :)

 

 

Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome :) Thanks for reading :hug:
Link to comment

Norah is the kind of sister anyone would love to have. She understands everything about second chances at the most opportune times.

Thanks for the Christmas gift. :)

Link to comment
On 12/26/2011 06:43 AM, Daddydavek said:
Thanks for the story! Sometimes your family really does surprise you...:)
Awww you're welcome! Hope you had a nice Christmas :)
Link to comment
On 12/26/2011 06:59 AM, Swhouston44 said:
A nice little something to read for Christmas. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for posting! Have a Merry Christmas

Had a Merry Christmas. Hope yours was the same. Thanks for reading :)
Link to comment
On 12/26/2011 09:55 AM, Bleu said:
Norah is the kind of sister anyone would love to have. She understands everything about second chances at the most opportune times.

Thanks for the Christmas gift. :)

You're very much welcome, kind sir :P
Link to comment
On 12/26/2011 12:34 PM, K.C. said:
How sweet! Thanks for giving us a nice little gift :)
You're welcome. Thank you so much for reading :)
Link to comment
On 12/27/2011 04:26 AM, Dark said:
This little story leaves a fuzzy spot in my heart. Perfect for the holidays!
Awww I'm glad it touched you :) Thanks for taking the time to read!
Link to comment
On 12/27/2011 05:18 AM, Breeze said:
Sigh.... a warm fuzzy for Christmas. Great story.
Thanks for the compliment and for reading :D
Link to comment

RHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I want to know what happen next!!!! Don't stop here!!!! pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*puppy eyes of doom* :D

Link to comment
On 12/27/2011 05:33 AM, Elezbed said:
RHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I want to know what happen next!!!! Don't stop here!!!! pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*puppy eyes of doom* :D

Erm it's a short story :P I'll think about writing more of this story line but am not promising anything :P Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..