Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Johnathan Colourfield's Writing Exercises - 3. Session Three: 27th June 2011

Bitter Style, Continuing Letters, Vowels for Mandartainia and Consonants for Mark

Exercise One: Read the following extract. Then with absolutely minimal additions or subtractions of fact and detail, rewrite it in a bitter style. No length requirement.

Extract

My paternal grandmother, Florence, was a stout, mercurial woman who handed me a present nearly every time I came into her sight, with the probable exceptions of my birthday and Christmas. She was not a great believer in special occasions. Or rather, she believed in them but saw no reason to be overly literal about their observance. “This is for your birthday,” she would say for the thirtieth time in a year, handing me a box of Fanny Farmer lollipops or ordering me to try on a new pair of dungarees. My father may have exaggerated the details of his childhood, but to hear him tell of it, Florence was forever chasing him around the house to show him some “surprise”that he longed instead to find wrapped under a Christmas tree, preferably on Christmas. My grandmother didn’t have much use for wrapping paper either.

Rewrite

My paternal grandmother Florence was a picture. She was short, which wasn’t helpful plus this wasn’t helped by her mercurical stout nature. She gave me a present every time I came into her sight. But never on the more important dates like my birthday or Christmas. She didn’t believe in that sort of celebration and didn’t see a reason to celebrate. ‘This is for your birthday’, she would say for the thirtheth time in a single year. She would hand me a child’s present like Fanny Farmer lollipops or buy me a ridiculous pair of dungarees. My father may have exaggerated the details of his childhood, but to hear him tell of it again and again. It bored me. Florence would forever chase him around the house trying to show him some ‘surprise’. He always wanted to find it wrapped under a Christmas tree, preferably on the day and not on any random day. My grandmother because of this, obviously didn’t have much use for wrapping paper either.

Exercise Two: Write a paragraph in which each word begins with the last letter of the preceding word.

Singing gay Yiddish haunting gas songs, since evil lane epidemic caused death here. Each human nationalist teaches serious songs selling goaded dreams since evolution, near revolution, need dear revolutionary yarns. Soon, near reconciliation.

Excercise Three: Write a paragraph in which every word starts with a vowel. (For Maria)

On each insidious evening, an evil oulu’ian understands and even interprets our earth, in another office, an evil oulu’ian comprehends an insidious overture and a evil underscore; on each iniquity each iniquitous olu’ian, overtakes evolved angels.

Exercise Four: Write a paragraph in which every word starts with a consonant. (For Mark)

Because cruel dogs stalk the floor contained by pigs, the secret zany Yiddish woman had to sacrifice dogs for the world to forgive her due to her lacking knowledge. Pity the girl who took the risk and worry for the girl whose cruel dogs stalk the floor contained by the evil pigs.

Hi Guys :) Sorry it was late :) Life took over this week :)
Copyright © 2011 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..