Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Johnathan Colourfield's Writing Exercises - 4. Session Four: 4th July 2011

26 Word Story, Short Story, Goat Description, Fruit Description

Exercise One: Write a 26-word story where every word begins with a different letter of the alphabet.

Zeddy yelled periodically down the staircase about Barry’s curfew. Even Fern kept it rigidly. Lengthily, he nattered without getting much understanding. Quinn’s Vision just obliterated Xander.

Exercise Two: Write a short story that includes each of the following: A black hat, A torn blanket, An angry librarian, A green sports car, A lonely girl, A happy young man, A silver watch, A crisp slice of toast.

I put the bread in the toaster and went over to the counter and looked up at the television screen.

‘Good morning. And now the news. Today a silver watch worth £1.5m was stolen from a jewellers. The thief was identified as female and was known for wearing a big black hat covering her hair. Thank you and now for sports.’

I switched the television off. I hated sports. I saw the toast pop out of the toaster and I grabbed the toast. I bit a big bite out of the toast. Mmm. It was quite crisper than usual. Just how I liked it.

Now on the topic of the thief. I knew that big black hat very well. My mother. She loved to wear that hat. Especially when she was going to go and steal something. Oh yes, she was a very good thief. She would always wear it if she was going to go stealing at night. Very skilled. She always liked to steal big shiny things.

She was so lonely though. She had been a lonely confused lost little girl since dad died about 6 months ago.

They were so happy together, my mother a librarian (and she still is by day) and day just simply very happy. Dad worked for a big multinational company and he had a green sports car as a company car.

Mum would come in every day after work and moan.

‘People never pay their fines on time. And they expect me to let them off. I should give them all a good hidin’’.

She worked hard. She worked so hard.

But oh well, I had to get to school. I stood but I felt the table blanket rip because I had my foot on the end of it.

My mum was going to get so angry. She could kill me. Or one of her customers, preferably the latter…

Exercise Three: Describe a goat without using the word goat, or any goat like body parts... and without mentioning CJ by name.

This animal is quite an misunderstood creature. With such a great anger growing within itself it feels compelled to eat your grandma’s washing whilst on the farm or nastily kick you when you are trying to get the milk for breakfast. Oh, we didn’t like cow’s milk. Too watery for my liking. This particular animal’s milk was perfectly luscious for my taste.

Exercise Four: Write about any fruit or vegetable in which you describe how it looks, feels, tastes, smells, sounds (if at all, when shaken) and essence. Evoke the fruit or vegetable, but do not name it!

Externally, it’s skin appears to be rounded with small holes. It is grown on a tree and tastes very harsh if you are not used to the taste. However, if you like the citrus taste then you are in for a great surprise. There are so many different kinds of them. But when you tear the skin off and you chew into it, that is a totally different experience. Oh when you chew, you get a rush of flavour going into your mouth as each of the little capsules burst and fill you with juice. And then after you release the juice, you can chew on the strong texture of the internal fruit… And such a blissful fruit to consume.

Copyright © 2011 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..