Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,530 Words
  • 971 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Currently in the works to edit this story before starting the newest book :) apologies for my beginner writing where I didn't believe in spacing my sentences.

Star Crossed: On the Line - 5. The Last of his Kind

Tony and Dozer follow me to the top floor of Building A. We live in Building B so having to travel all the way over here to see Mekaias is a bit annoying. I have a tray of food in my hands that I’m hoping to deliver to him.

We haven’t seen him in a two days. Not since he was controlled by Enyod. Seeing Tanner use Enyod to force Mekaias into killing his friend left a bit of a bad taste in a lot of Firelight’s people. Sure most of them don’t entirely like Aliens. Everyone has their story, like Tony. I personally don’t see them as an issue. I don’t want to be without my brother however. Even if he has become more of a pain than anything else. Yet seeing another living being sobbing and crying as he is being forced to murder his friend...a lot of people didn’t like that. I would say it’s about half and half. Some people just didn’t care. How they couldn’t is unbelievable. Even Tony and Dozer felt like shit about it. Well, not so much Tony. I had to explain to him just how fucked up that is.

“Imagine being forced to kill Dozer, Tony. What about killing me? Would you be able to live with yourself?” I had said as Tony was eating his food as if everything was normal. I guess he finally got the picture because he is coming along with Dozer and I.

They have moved him into his own little area on the top floor that Tanner lives on. He was a bit obsessive on trying to make a room that was a replica of another Mekaias has been in. I got shivers just thinking of that. We’ve all researched about him while he was having his memories blocked off and replaced with false ones. Enyod spent months working on Mekaias. Tanner made sure he was working on him day and night. His obsession with Mekaias has something to do with killing the other officers that were stationed on Utrio. One of them was his best friend. Aaron Talemo.

Tanner claims to not know that Talemo would torture or do other things to the citizens of Utrio. Simply said he would only see him for drinks. I knew it was bullshit. I’m sure everyone else did too. Seeing Mekaias either laying on a hammock one day or being tortured and abused another wasn’t fun to learn. Now he is back in an exact replica of that very cage. It’s sick.

We reach the top floor and immediately see the room. Three walls of smooth cold stone and one wall of thick glass. Two guards stand on either side to keep watch over him.

“State your business.” One says.

“We’ve brought him food.” I say.

He pauses as if thinking for a moment before talking, “He’s already eaten.”

I look at the other guard, he looks a little nervous now that my attention is on him. “Has he eaten?” I ask with one brow raised.

“U-Uh...Ye-No...no he hasn’t.” He lowers his eyes and steps back.

“Then I shall feed him. It’s not like he’s going anywhere.” I frown and peek behind them. Mekaias is just sitting crossed-legged on the floor. He has special bracelets on from Enyod. Some kind of magic blocking thing that were used on their old planet. Before it got destroyed of course. How Enyod had those, I'm not sure.

The other guard sighs before nodding and moving out of the way. He unlocks the giant metal door on one side and motions for us to walk in. “Thanks.” I nod before walking in.

I walk slowly behind Mekaias. He hasn’t moved at all. He just keeps staring straight ahead with his mouth slightly open. On the ground in front of him are two things. A slightly crumpled up picture and what looks like...a smooth grey rock? I’m not sure.

Tony and Dozer stand near the door as if they are scared. It’s probably from guilt honestly. I know Dozer was feeling super bad when we saw the whole incident.

“Mekaias?” I sit next to him and wave a hand in front of his vision. “Can you hear me?” Nothing. He doesn’t even blink. I bite my lip and set the tray down next to me.

“You need to eat and drink, Mekaias.” I keep my voice soft. “Would you like me to help you?” I look at his face for any signs of an answer. Nothing at all.

“I don’t think he can eat, Alicia.” Tony whispers. I just glare at him.

“He needs food. He just needs a little push.” I grab one half of a sandwich and raise it to his mouth. “It’s ok, Mekaias. You can do it. Just chew.” It just hangs at his lips. No effort at all and he keeps staring forward. I bring my hand under his chin and push upward to help him. I notice his jaw tighten a bit and then soon he is very slowly chewing.

“There we go. Good job, Mekaias. Would you like a drink?” I make sure he swallows before bringing a bottle of water up to his lips. I raise it slowly and the water starts spilling out his mouth. I inwardly sigh and lower the water. I grab a napkin and dry him off.

This time as I raise the bottle, I raise his head up as well. He keeps staring forward, which is very creepy but at least I know he is finally drinking from the movement of his throat.

I then keep rotating between the sandwich and water until it is all finished. Mekaias just continues to stare straight out the glass wall. I go and stand next to Tony and Dozer, who gives a nod to me.

“You did good, Alicia.” Tony says.

I just sigh and turn my gaze to Mekaias. “Doesn’t feel like it.” I frown.

“Did you check what was on the picture?” Dozer asks.

“No I was feeding him.” I roll my eyes. I was curious of course but it felt wrong to look at his things.

“Should we look?” He asks. I just sigh and go to sit next to Mekaias. I just gently grab his hand and rub the top with small circles. I don’t really want him feeling alone right now.

Dozer steps forward and sits on the other side of Mekaias. He reaches forward and picks up the crumpled picture. He smooths it out and then just stares.

“What?” Tony asks. He has moved to stand behind Dozer.

“He was with the Star Squad.” Dozer peeks over at Mekaias.

“What?” I look at him a bit surprised. “He wasn’t ever on any posters or in any interviews.”

“I guess he was new.” He passes the photo to me. I see Mekaias and a group posing together. Definitely Star Squad. There is Norian the Metonian, Remelia the Syren, Remy her step-brother who is human, and I’m guessing the human pilot George, who is ripped off in the corner. Mekaias is right in the front next to Remy with a smile I know I’ve never seen before. I frown. I knew he was apart of U.U.P.P. but I didn’t know he was with the Star Squad. I feel a bit more guilty.

“Doesn’t Norian seem a bit off to you?” Tony says. I look at Norian in the picture. I don’t really notice anything. He’s just staring at Mekaias. I want to say almost in a loving way but surely I’m wrong.

“Oh it’s his horns. He’s missing one.” Dozer shoves his finger over Norian’s face to point out the missing horn. I glance at Mekaias because Dozer just reached into his space. Still staring straight ahead. Somehow through Dozer’s arm.

I look down and reach out for the smooth rock to inspect it. Why does he have this? I bring it up next to the picture and freeze. I look between Norian’s other horn and the piece i'm holding. I flip the piece around and then it clicks.

“It’s his other horn. They’re...they’re soulmates.” I gasp. I feel even more guilty now. I set both the picture and horn piece down gently. I reach to squeeze Mekaias’ hand but the door to the floor opens up.

“Get out now.” A voice comes from the other side of the glass.

~~
~~

“Remy if you don’t shut up I’m going to beat you with my laptop.” Remelia growls. Remy finally stops whistling to himself and just rests with his back against Remelia’s.

“I’m so bored and I can’t sleep. What am I supposed to do?” He groans.

“You could help me by shutting the fuck up! You are being a distraction.” She pushes herself backwards to push on Remy. He just pushes back and then their fighting starts all over again. I just sigh and turn the other way on my cot. Well...cots. I needed two and a mattress since the bars in the middle make laying down impossible.

Since our base was attacked we had to hide out in a bunker hidden deep in the woods. As soon as the scanner showed that Firelight was gone, all the squads started flying out to different bases. The Director told us our squad should go to a base in Sector Nine. So here we are. Apparently a few other squads got the same message from him because they are here too. Now most of us are in cots until the base can get some trailers moved onto the base. Right now we are being held at an old abandoned hangar. It’s pretty small. I wouldn’t really call it a hangar honestly. It’s more like a shed. Only one other squad is in here. That makes about ten people. Everyone else is in a much larger and nicer area. Lucky them. We get the nice view though. Nice open green field.

The Director was taken from us. I can only wish that he’ll be ok. Maybe if he’s lucky, he can help Mekaias. That’s probably asking for too much honestly. Losing two members of the squad and now our boss. This has been a pretty shitty year. I can only feel that it is getting worse. I can feel Mekaias’ stress and sadness. I’ve always felt it. Even before when he was here with me. Though I thought it was mine at first. His past hurts him. Now something must have come up because the feeling has skyrocketed. I feel like I know what happened. It fits too well with the Director being kidnapped. It hurts me to think of the man being dead. He’s helped us so much. Gathering sponsors and helping to point us to different planets and areas to help others in need. Sure he was uptight about getting and using money, but he really did care about the universe. Possibly more than me, but that's pushing it.

Director Kane brought me to my soulmate. I could never thank him enough for that. Sure he didn’t know it would be Mekaias but he just happened to be the perfect person for me to get to Mekaias. Now they are both in the clutches of Firelight. The Director could possibly be dead and Mekaias...I don’t know what my soulmate could be doing or what he is going through.

I just want him back. I need him by my side. I had just finally gotten him and now I’ve lost him. It’s kind of a sick joke to know he is working against me. I’m just glad my bond with him let’s me know he is alive. Maybe not well, but he is alive. I ignored that instinct before. I thought it was a false hope. It constantly hurt to keep hoping or feeling that he was alive when I was sure he had died. I need to suck it up and push to get to him. Unfortunately I feel absolutely useless right now. All of us do. We can’t do anything but wait because we’ve got nothing to give us an idea of where he is.

I get up and decide to take a walk. Remy and Remelia haven’t shut up at all. They are too loud and I know I won’t be sleeping at all. It’s too early and I need to distract myself. Who knows, maybe if I’m lucky I’ll just happen to stumble upon Mekaias and the Director and everything will be right in the universe again. Except it wasn’t. All isn’t right in the universe. Pretty sure planets under control of Firelight didn’t make anything right. Mekaias is a good example of that. We haven’t even done anything for that planet, Utrio. We just picked him up and left them all to fend for themselves. I hope his friend Aileta is safe. I wouldn’t doubt that she is perfectly fine. She seemed like she could handle herself. If she knew where Mekaias was now...I’d probably be dead. I’m not sure if I’d mind honestly. Still feels like the end of the world.

To think I was going to take him to my homeplanet when I got back from that damn interview. It just all went to shit. I sigh and decide to go for a run.

~~
~~

“Alentian!” Tanner slams his fist against the glass wall. I actually jump a little but refuse to meet his eyes. I’m staring straight at Enyod. He’s standing next to Tanner and is trying to hide behind him. I want him to look at me and tell me why he made me do it. Why he doesn’t just force Tanner to kill himself and save us all.

“You’d better pay attention to me or I’m coming in there.” Tanner growls. He had dismissed the other guards. It’s just me and them. My team had been pushed out. While I am thankful for them coming here, I didn’t want to see them. I don’t want their help. I want to die. I murdered one of the closest friends of my past. It wasn’t me yet it was me. Enyod did this to me. Why would he do such a thing? I thought he was my friend. Apparently my team has decided now is the time to be my friend. I do not need them. I don’t need anyone. I have nothing. Why do I need to fight? I’ve been ready to die for a long time.

“Fine. You asked for it.” Tanner rolls up his sleeves and makes a move for the door. I just stay planted to the floor and stare at Enyod. He has decided to do what he always does and stare at the damn floor.

Tanner flips the door open and then stands in front of me with his hands crossed. “Ready for this? We're going to make the truth hurt won't we?” He smirks before bending down to pick me up by neck. I don’t fight back. He slams me against the wall. I grunt and just grab his wrists for something to hold onto. “First, Enyod can read and control minds.” He rears his arm back and punches me on the side of my head. I grit my teeth and just stare into Tanner’s eyes.

“I made him send you messages in your dreams to scare you.” He slams his boot hard onto my feet. I cry out as I hear a bone crunch. He punches me on the nose. Another crack.

“He has blocked off your memories and gave you ones that tell a lie.” He throws me across the room and against my bed. I hiss as my spine collides with a corner. “That’s right, Alien. You were never one of us.” He flashes a wicked grin down at me. Yeah no shit. I figured that already. Just why does he think I care? I want him to just kill me already.

“Your memories are actually safe with Enyod. If I gave him the order, he could give them back to you.” He pulls his foot back and lets it fly into my stomach. I bite my lip so hard that blood floods my mouth. Actually I think that's from my nose.

“Ready for the best part out of all this?” He grins and squats down to grab my face. “Your friend isn’t even dead.” He gives a small laugh and grips my jaw hard. What? I didn’t kill Kane? How? I felt it all.

He must see the confusion on my face because he gives a knowing smile. “Yeah that's right. You didn’t kill him. That blood you felt? The flesh you thought you carved into? Yeah none of it was real.” He grabs me by my arm and hauls me up. When he sees I can’t stand he throws me onto the bed, knocking my head hard against the wall.

“Here is how we are going to do this from now on.” He sits on the bed next to me and grabs my wrists hard, squeezing the bracelets into my skin. “You do what I say, when I say it. From now on you are on solo missions since you somehow got that team to care for you. Apparently they are all a bunch of sissies. They were slowing you down anyway. You will do all missions I order. If you don’t feel up to it, just let me know. I’ll let Enyod do it for you. We saw just how easily he could do that didn’t we?” He glances over his shoulder at Enyod. I can’t see him since Tanner has made sure he was entirely in my view.

“You ever ignore my orders, try to make a run for it, or even try to off yourself...I will kill Director Kane. I don’t need you to take my kills. I prefer doing that on my own.” He pushes himself up using my head. I wince and try and stay still.

“I’ll be sending you out tomorrow. I know you can heal all this up tonight.” He smirks before leaving. He doesn’t even call Enyod to follow him. Instead, Enyod stares after the door.

“Running away from me?” I say. My voice sadly isn’t strong right now. I feel like my throat has been burned.

Enyod turns to look at me before kneeling down by the glass. “I...I don’t know what to tell you honestly,” He looks at me but not into my eyes, “but he has saved me and many other Alentians.”

“Other Alentians?” I frown. “I haven’t seen any others.”

“He saved them.” He simply says. “He saved them by sending them to their life stones. There they can be happy and not worry about what their next meal could be or where they will be sleeping for the night.” His voice starts to tremble. “I told him to help me save them all and he did it without question. Our people banished me so long ago but I still love our people enough to help them.” He smiles at me.

“You’ve let him kill the rest of us off? Enyod why would you do that?” I glare at him, “and why would you do this to me? Controlling me, stealing my memories, even making me think I murdered my friend. What did I do to deserve that?”

“You made Tanner mad. You killed his best friend. He wants you to kill yours.” He just shrugs and stands. “Do not worry, friend. Soon, when you bring your friends to die, you will be free in your stone.” He gives a cheerful grin before turning to leave.

He’s...He’s insane. Killing off the last of our kind? Are we the last ones left? I shiver but groan from the pain that stirs. I can’t die now. I have to fight for Kane. I’ll try and figure out some way to save us Kane. I promise. I don’t know how but I will.

I whine and moan as I try and move into a better position on the metal bed. Back in this hellhole again. At least I have an actual bed this time. I only had a hammock before. I don’t think I would have been able to climb into that right now. They even have the markings on the wall that I made. Even the dried blood on them from scraping my nails too hard on the wall. This isn't exactly that much different from Utrio. He even got the beatings right. No place like home I guess.

I’m scared for whoever I could be going after out there. Aileta and Arnio? Surely they wouldn’t send me that far? I will just hope they fight back. As I said before, if I kill them instantly they won’t have to suffer the slow death Tanner will give. I frown at how strange that sounds. It sounds a bit like Enyod. I’m not like him am I?

I shiver as I close my eyes. My body is going to use a lot of energy to heal. I might as well sleep now.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Welp called it. Enyod is connected to Tanner and both deserve to eat a big dick made of poison barbs, and angry African killer bees.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..