Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 832 Words
  • 923 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moving Forward - 37. Chapter 37

Marshall, Lee, and Roger relax in the hot tub, followed by an unexpected development

The cruise boat returned all too soon, for Marshall’s taste. He could have easily spent another few hours playing in the water with Lee, or relaxing with drinks on the beach. As they shuffled single file back onto the boat, along with the other passengers, Marshall was grateful Lee had insisted on slathering so much suntan lotion on him. Some of the poor tourists resembled boiled lobsters. He noticed some of these poor souls headed straight to the bar, probably to fortify themselves against the pain with a little liquor.

Now that everyone had had a chance to relax and they were homeward bound, it was time for more fun. The calypso band struck up again, as the tour guide announced that everyone was to be barefoot dancing. Marshall wasted no time in losing his shoes, and sweet-talked Lee into doing the same. People of all ages joined in, dancing with one another, and gyrating to their hearts’ content. No one cared how well they could or couldn’t dance. It was all just for fun.

After the dancing came the limbo contest. “How low can you go?” everyone chanted while the most limber passengers attempted to dance beneath the limbo pole. Marshall tried to talk Lee into entering, but he said he’d rather watch, but Roger was game, so they both tried their luck. They didn’t do too badly, laughing and squirming under the pole as it drew closer and closer to the ground, but others were better and won the prizes. It didn’t matter. This was just for fun.

They arrived back at the dock, a happy but exhausted group. Marshall, Lee, and Roger headed back to the Wandering Star, as the others dispersed to other destinations.

“I wouldn’t mind shutting my eyes for a few minutes before dinner,” Marshall commented, as they stripped off their clothes in their cabin. “Once I rinse some of this sand off first.”

They took quick showers, then curled up on their bed and took a brief but refreshing nap. After that, they called Roy, just to say hello and give him an update on their trip, and to see if anything was shaking at home. He told them all was well and not to worry about a thing.

They ate dinner with Roger and invited him back to their cabin afterward to try out the hot tub. They ordered drinks from room service, and relaxed in the hot tub together, watching the most spectacular sunset ever—purples and pinks and blues cascading toward the horizon, as the sun sank lower and lower before disappearing from view.

“We still on for Blackbeard’s Castle tomorrow?” Marshall asked, although he was pretty sure he knew the answer.

“You know it,” Lee said. “What about you, Roger?”

“I’ve been texting with Kenny,” he said, “and he’s definitely interested. “I’m going to see him first thing in the morning, so maybe we’ll see you there?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Lee said.

“Hey, I have an idea,” Roger said. “Who wants to do some shots? They make some very interesting combinations. Just about anything you can think of.”

Marshall and Lee exchanged glances.

“Sounds good to me,” Marshall said.

“I’m game if you are,” Lee agreed.

Just then, Roger’s phone began to play a Donna Summers song. Lee laughed. “’Hot Stuff’? Really? Let me guess. Kenny’s ringtone?”

Roger blushed, even as he grinned. “Yeah. But it’s perfect timing. He’ll remember some of those shots I was wanting to try.” He reached for his phone, which sat on the table beside the hot tub, and answered it.

“Hey man, we were just talking about you,” he said, “what’s going—” His thought went unfinished, as he listened intently then whistled. “No shit? Wow, that’s bad news.” He listened some more, as Marshall and Lee looked at one another, concerned.

“Wait a second, let me ask.” He held his phone against his chest. “That’s Kenny, his plans fell through after all, mind if he joins us?”

“Of course not,” Lee said. “He’s more than welcome.”

Marshall nodded, even as he wondered what was going on. Roger gave Kenny the cabin number and talked for just a second before hanging up.

“Something going on?” Lee asked. “Not trying to be nosy or anything…”

“No, no, it’s cool. It’s not like that. Kenny’s plans fell through, but that’s not it. Looks like somebody on the ship got hurt.”

“I hope not too badly,” Marshall said. “Was there an accident or something? Is he going to be okay?” How awful to be hurt when you came to have fun.

“Sounds like it was no accident. Someone beat him up.”

That wasn’t good, not at all.

“Kenny’s going to see what he can find out before he gets here. He knows the purser. He might have some information.”

All they could do was settle back and wait for Kenny. Marshal couldn’t help but think that even Paradise had its problems.

Copyright © 2017 JulieLHayes; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..