Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 999 Words
  • 1,568 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moving Forward - 2. Chapter 2

Lee challenges Marshall to show him what he's got on the dance floor at Partners.

“Why don’t I show you how old men get?” Lee rose as he spoke, his hand held out to Marshall. “If you think you can keep up, that is.”

“Shee-it, son, you done been challenged,” Rye hooted. The entire table broke up into raucous laughter and whistles, and cries of “Go get’em!” which could have been directed at either one of them.

Lee’s eyes positively gleamed with mischief. Marshall knew this wasn’t just a challenge. It was Lee’s way of saying all’s right with their world, and nothing and no one could tear them apart. They were going to live and love and have a damn good time doing it.

“I’ll take that challenge.” Drawing himself up to his full height, he laid his hand in Lee’s.

“Seeya boys,” Lee called back as he led Marshall onto the dance floor. They assumed the position. Lee placed his right hand at the small of Marshall’s back. Taking Marshall’s right hand in his left, across his body, they joined the other dancers in the promenade.

They’d done these steps together so often, they could have done them blindfolded. Marshall followed Lee’s lead. He loved the promenade, which was definitely a couples dance, but at Partners no one blinked an eye whether it was a man and a woman, two men, or two women. In fact, at one time it wasn’t uncommon for two men to promenade together when there was a scarcity of women. Of course now it was done for other reasons.

Marshall loved it when Lee spun him about, under his arm, or when they twisted in elaborate patterns that often earned them applause from their fellow dancers. Neither one ever missed a step, even if they were seemingly focused more on one another than the dance floor. When the dance was done, Lee pulled Marshall into his arms and kissed him, shutting the rest of the world out.

After a couple of promenades, the music switched to line dancing, and they kicked up their heels a little more before heading back to the table. While they’d been out on the dance floor, a newcomer had joined the table. Marshall recognized him as the obnoxious server who’d stepped on his foot. The same one whose tongue hung to his knees every time he looked at Lee. Marshall started to scowl, until he realized the man’s attention was all being given to Rye. In fact, he was practically sitting in Rye’s lap. Guess he didn’t have to worry none about him tonight.

“Not tonight or any other night,” Lee assured him.

Marshall’s jaw liked to have dropped. How had Lee read his mind? Lee leaned in to him as they took seats across from Roy, who was talking to Slim. “I know you well enough to know how you think,” he murmured. Marshall had to admit that was true for sure.

He glanced around the table. “Where’d Denver go? Back room?”

Rye stopped making goo-goo eyes at his current love interest long enough to respond. “He got a phone call, said he’d be right back. Something about a cousin, I don’t remember exactly what he said.”

Marshall snorted inelegantly, but didn’t make the comment that was on the tip of his tongue about Rye having his head too far up his date’s ass to notice an atom bomb going off.

Lee jerked a thumb in the direction of Rye and Blondie. “What’s up with that?” he asked Roy, who shrugged. Slim did likewise.

“Apparently they hit it off well enough to exchange numbers and meet up tonight,” Roy said. “I’d introduce you if I could, but someone here hasn’t had the manners to do it yet.” He raised his voice with his last words enough to actually catch Rye’s attention. Rye grinned good-naturedly at the ribbing.

“Sorry, fellas, guess I wasn’t thinking.”

“What else is new?” Slim quipped, producing more laughter.

“This here’s Stu.” He indicated Blondie with a wave of one hand. “You might remember he works here. Stu, these are my friends. Roy, Slim, Lee, and Marshall.”

Stu was dressed more conservatively than he was when he was waiting tables, Marshall noticed, but he sure enjoyed applying eye shadow and liner, making his eyes appear enormous. Everyone murmured their hellos as the introductions were made and regular conversation resumed.

Marshall scooted his chair back and began to rise. Lee caught his eye, brow raised. “Going to the bar? I was just about to order another round.”

“Naw, just seein’ a man about a horse.” He glanced uncertainly toward Stu, debating with himself if he trusted him not to hit on Lee once he left the table.

“You don’t have to trust him, just me.” Lee squeezed his hand. “Go on. I’ll order that round while you’re gone. Stickin’ with beer?”

“Yeah, draft is good.”

Lee pulled him down for a long, hard kiss. By the time he released him, Marshall felt his toes begin to curl. He knew he was being silly about Stu. Stu seemed more than content to be with Rye. Let bygones be bygones. “Be right back.” He kissed Lee softly, received a sexy smile in return, then headed toward the restrooms at the back of the club.

The men’s room was almost empty. Marshall took care of business and washed his hands. He was thinking about him and Lee on the beach in the Virgin Islands. Lost in thought, he accidentally bumped shoulders with another man. “Sorry,” he quickly apologized.

“You will be,” the man growled.

Marshall glanced up, puzzled. He recognized the heavy-set older man who stood before him. They’d had one dance earlier in the evening. He wondered what his problem was now.

“Excuse me?”

“Who do you think you are, the fucking Queen of Sheba?”

Marshall tried to step past him. “Look, I don’t want any trouble with you—”

The man shoved him hard, catching him off-guard. Marshall fell against the door to one of the stalls.

Copyright © 2017 JulieLHayes; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..