Jump to content
    Kai Taylor
  • Author
  • 3,360 Words
  • 2,260 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

West - 1. Birth

‘It’s only a game.’

At least that’s what I used to tell myself whenever I’d feel the cold fingers of doubt rake through my mind.

But it was more than that. It was a dare, a challenge; a bet with myself to see if I could succeed.

It began last December, in the shadow of Christmas; a time when things were going well for me. I was surrounded by friends, achieving high marks at school and felt on top of the world.

My life was good.

I just had no idea how it was all about to change.

Birth

Stealing another furtive glance in her direction, his eyes hovered on her attractive form for the briefest moment before dropping back to the worksheet lying on the desk as he reluctantly resumed writing. His focus didn’t hold for long, as less than thirty seconds later his gaze returned to the girl who sat on the opposite side of the classroom.

Tess Saunders; the epitome of brains and beauty. Soft hazel eyes, silky brown hair, and an intelligence to match. Harry was right to like her. She was, in many ways, perfect.

I watched as he gazed longingly at her again. A smirk formed on my lips as I turned back to my work, “Ask her out.”

Startled by my suggestion, Harry looked at me, “What?”

“Ask her out,” I repeated.

“I can’t do that!” he replied in a hushed tone.

“Why not?” I flicked my head in her direction. “Just walk over there, say hello and then ask her out. It’s not hard.”

He hung on my words for a moment and then shook his head, “I just can’t.”

I moved my mouth next to his ear and lowered my voice, “You know, you’re cute when you’re all flustered.”

He laughed and pushed me away, “Shut up.”

“It’s true,” I winked.

“And what would be true West?”

Skirting around from behind our table, Miss Roberts, our English teacher, moved to stand in front of us as she stared down at me. I looked up at the thirty-something woman, “Uh, this,” I reached for the closest thing and held up the novel we’d been studying in class.

“Oh? What about it?” Roberts crossed her arms as an amused look flashed across her face, eager to hear my excuse.

“Harry will tell you,” I shot a look at my best friend, just in time to catch him rolling his eyes at me.

Roberts shook her head, “I don’t mind you talking, but please get the work done first.”

“I have.”

“Already?”

Reaching down to the desk, I secured the sheet of paper I’d been writing on between my fingers and held it up towards her, “Yep.”

Taking the sheet from my hand she read it for a moment, her eyes flicking back and forth as she scanned the lines. Satisfied that I’d told the truth, she handed it back to me and nodded, “Good work.”

“Thanks.”

Half expecting her to tell me to move onto the next task, she surprised me by turning around and walking to the front of the room. Arriving before the whiteboard, she cleared her throat and began to address the class.

She proceeded to tell us about the project that we’d be working on over the Christmas holidays. I only half listened, as she’d been through it all before, so I already knew the basics. We were going to be split into groups of three and had to create a presentation about the various themes of the book. A simple enough task, one that shouldn’t steal too much time from our much needed break.

Sitting down at her desk, Roberts began to go through the register, telling each of us who we were going to be working with. Harry was placed in a group with two other guys, while I would be working with Tess.

I grinned at Harry, “Your lucky day.”

He frowned, “Huh?”

“Now that I’m going to be spending time with Tess, I can tell her all about a special guy I know.”

“No,” Harry shook his head, “Promise me you won’t say anything.”

“Relax,” I laughed. “Besides, what’s the big deal? Worst case is she’d say no.”

He looked at me in alarm, as though I’d made the most ludicrous suggestion, “Just promise you won’t say anything.”

I sighed and slumped back in the chair, “Fine, I won’t. But you should.”

Harry was a great guy but he always got so nervous around girls. I didn’t understand it. Reading between the lines of some hints he dropped me last year, I knew he wasn’t a virgin, so I wasn’t entirely sure what the problem was. It wasn’t like he was walking into unknown territory. I shook my head as my eyes grazed Tess, noting that she had a hand raised above her head.

“Miss?” she called out. “What about the third person in our group?”

It was a good question, though I’d simply assumed that Roberts ran out of people towards the end and decided to make the strongest two students, Tess and myself, a couple.

Roberts turned around to speak, but was interrupted by a knock on the door, followed by a boy walking into the room.

“Sorry I’m late, I had a meeting…” he trailed off and handed Roberts a note.

Sean Tamlin. The boy with a colour of hair so bright it was closer to white than any shade of blond. He was a little taller than me, placing him just above six foot, and had a nice physique to match.

“That’s fine Sean, and good timing too,” handing him one of the worksheets, Roberts continued, “I was just going over the Christmas project again and telling everyone who they’ll be working with. You’ll be with Tess and West.”

Sean looked over at Tess and then glanced at me. I nodded in return and watched as he took his seat. I’d always assumed that Sean was gay, a fact that no one else seemed to pick up on. Throughout high school he’d somehow been able to avoid having a girlfriend without raising any questions, though there were rumours that he dated a girl from another school, a rumour I didn’t believe. He was smart, popular, and liked by everyone. He wasn’t really my type, but he did pique my curiosity.

Once finished with her recap of the Christmas project, Roberts then issued a sheet of paper to be passed around the class, instructing us to write down our email addresses. As we were going to be out of school for over two weeks, she wanted to have a way to contact us, in case we had any trouble or questions with the work. It took a few minutes for the sheet to make its way around the room before arriving at my table. Staring down at it, I quickly skimmed over the list of email addresses, a smile forming on my lips from some of the names used. Finally, towards the bottom of the list, was Sean’s address. My eyes hovered on it for a few seconds, the cogs in my head spinning at a million miles per hour.

Reaching beneath the table, I snaked my hand into my bag and retrieved one of my notebooks. Bringing it up to the table’s surface, I flipped to the back page and scribbled down Sean’s address. After returning the notebook to my bag, I wrote down my address on the sheet, along with Harry’s beneath it. Finished with the task, I passed the piece of paper along to the next table.

“Wait, I didn’t do mine,” Harry called out, looking up from his work.

“I did it for you,” I replied, forcing myself to appear nonchalant as I picked up the novel and flicked through the pages.

“Oh, thanks.”

I nodded at him and then focused back on the book. A small surge of excitement continued to buzz throughout my body from what I just did. I had an idea, a plan. Nothing concrete, just something I came up with in a split second. Peering over the top of the book, I stared at Sean as he sat across the room. I watched him working for a few minutes as I thought about my next move.

*

“Would a smile kill you West?”

Looking up from my lunch, I homed in on the source of the voice. Zoe. My ex girlfriend. I softened my expression, “It might.”

Pulling out the seat opposite me, she plopped down and shifted forwards, brushing her leg against mine beneath the table. “Oops,” she giggled, slowly moving her leg back under her seat.

My eyes narrowed. I hated the way she did that, how she’d adopt a flirtatious attitude whenever we were alone. Perhaps she wanted us to be together in that kind of way. Our relationship had never lasted long enough for us to be that close, a fact I knew she resented. While being a decent person on the whole, her provocative advances only served to sour our friendship.

She pulled out a plastic container holding her lunch from her bag and set it down on the table between us, “Have a good morning?”

“Pretty much,” I replied, my eyes surveying the chaotic lunch time rush of the school cafeteria. “Can’t wait until next week though.”

“Why?” Raising a hand to her hair, she brushed it away from her eyes. She kept her hair short while we were together, but it had since blossomed into a shoulder length, light brown curtain.

My eyebrows dipped, “We break up for Christmas next week.”

“Oh, right,” she shook her head and began to unpack her lunch. “I forgot.”

“You forgot?

“Forgot what?” Harry asked, arriving at the table with his food and sitting down next to Zoe.

“Nothing important,” Zoe shot me a look. “We were just talking about you.”

“Oh?” Harry grinned, his blue eyes lighting up as he bit into his sandwich, “About what to get me for Christmas?”

I nodded, “Yeah. Any requests?”

“Not really,” he began, before a younger boy passed behind his seat, grazing the back of Harry’s head with his bag. After giving the boy a threatening scowl, he turned around and looked at Zoe, “All I want is for them to hurry up and finish painting our common room. I hate being out here with them.”

“I agree,” I laughed. “But you’d better give us some real hints, otherwise you’ll have to deal with whatever Zoe picks out for you.”

“Thanks West,” Zoe glared at me. “You make it sound like I have no idea what a sixteen-year-old boy would want.”

“I’m seventeen.”

“Not you, him,” she nodded at Harry.

I folded my arms and sat back in the chair, “Fine, what does he want then?”

She nibbled on her bottom lip for a moment, before a devilish gleam flashed in her eyes, “I know exactly what he wants.”

“Hello?” Harry waved at her. “I’m right here.”

Ignoring him, Zoe sat up and started to look around the large room as she searched for someone.

“Who are you looking for?”

“Tess,” she looked at Harry. “See? I know what you-“

“I don’t…” he let out a sigh. “I don’t want to go out with her, ok?”

Zoe moved closer to him, “What’s the problem? You worried she’ll say no?”

I studied the expression on his face as he started to shake his head and deny her claim. While I was sure Zoe didn’t notice it, I’d known him long enough to see when he was lying. He really was worried about the possibility of Tess saying no. Although a little bit of teasing wouldn’t bother him, our playful banter was clearly getting on his nerves. The last thing I wanted was to hurt him from something we’d said in jest.

“Ok, we’ll stop talking about Tess.”

Harry and Zoe ceased their little bout and looked at me in surprise.

I shrugged my shoulders as I began to unscrew the lid from my bottle of water, “It’s your call Harry, not ours.”

“Thanks,” he gave me an appreciative look, while Zoe frowned at my action.

I grinned back, mostly from Zoe’s displeasure, and then took a quick sip of my drink. Lowering the bottle from my lips, I noticed Sean sitting a few tables away staring at me. Realising that I’d seen him, he smiled and nodded his head. I returned the gesture and continued to watch him as he interacted with his friends.

There was definitely something different about him, something he was hiding from everyone. Maybe it was his sexuality or perhaps it was completely unrelated. Either way, my curiosity had gotten the better of me and I was determined to find out what it was.

*

My mind was a blur for the rest of the afternoon, my thoughts focused solely on the English lesson as I kept on replaying events over and over. While Sean had been on my radar for the past few years, I’d never really been interested in him on a romantic, or sexual, level. On the other hand, the ambiguity around his sexuality had always kept me intrigued.

I wondered if there was some way to find out, some way to see if I was right about him. Of course there was no easy way to determine someone’s sexuality, otherwise I would’ve been outed long ago. The only way to be certain was to ask him, and that wasn’t going to happen. Although we knew each other by name at school, even going as far to say we were acquaintances, we’d never spent a lot of time together. The Christmas project, while being a blessing in disguise, would only provide me with a fleeting opportunity to get closer, nowhere near enough time to gain his confidence and allow him to confide in me.

Sitting on my bed, I stared down at the notebook laying in my lap, knowing it held the key. Sean’s email address opened up a whole new world to me, one no longer constrained by the two-week holiday. I just had no idea where to begin. I couldn’t mail him out of the blue and act like we were long-time friends. In fact, it was doubtful I could even use the address at all. It wouldn’t take him long to figure out that it was someone from class who was mailing him.

I dropped the notebook to one side and climbed off the bed. It was a stupid idea to begin with, one that never had a chance of succeeding. Wandering over to my desk, I sat down in my soft, leather chair and woke my computer from sleep, seeing little reason to waste any more time thinking about Sean.

I’d been roaming aimlessly around the internet for about an hour when an idea suddenly occurred to me. Retrieving the notebook from my bed, I flicked to the back page and looked at Sean’s email address. Turning back to the computer, I reopened the browser and began typing. I ended up spending the whole evening thinking it through before I finally had it all planned out.

Sean had actually made it easier for me, as he happened to be a bit of an online celebrity, a pianist to be exact. I never knew he played the piano, let alone film videos of himself playing and then upload them online. After viewing some of the videos I was quite impressed by how good he was. Not only did he perform covers for some recent songs in the charts, he also played some pieces that he claimed to have written himself.

Searching through his online profile, he also listed an email address, different to the one I’d written down in class. It seemed clear that he was expecting or at least encouraging people to contact him. So I decided to take him up on his offer and send him an email, only I had to get my own act together first.

Sending him a mail from my address was out of the question. If I wanted to learn the truth, I had to be someone else, someone who he wouldn’t have to deal with in real life. I needed to create a whole new person, a virtual person, someone who only existed online.

I decided to start with a name, an act that ended up proving to be much harder than I originally thought. Heading onto my Facebook profile, I scrolled through my friends list, scouring the names. Eventually I came across my cousin’s name: Ryan West.

Ryan.

I had a name.

Clicking onto Ryan’s profile, another idea came to me. Instead of creating a whole new person from scratch, I decided to adopt parts of my sixteen-year-old cousin’s profile and use it as a foundation. Given the ever changing stream of photos he’d uploaded, I even had a choice of images to use too.

I fired up Word and typed out a heading. At first titled The Sean Project, I decided to change the title to something less corny. I chose to simply go with Ryan instead. I spent the next hour creating a fictional biography. Although I was borrowing my cousin’s name and image, I wanted to create a different person, one I had complete control over.

To start with I had Ryan be an only child, mostly to minimise my workload, but to also help keep things centred solely on him. I also had him wanting to be an architect. While Sean probably had little interest in architecture, I chose it to help portray Ryan as a serious person, one who had high aspirations. Finally, I had him live in Chelmsford. Thanks to my grandparents having lived there at one point, it was a city I was familiar with, as well as being a two hour drive away, ensuring it was out of Sean’s reach.

It had been a difficult process, almost forcing me to abandon the entire project at least twice. But I pressed on, eager to find out where it’d lead me. Finally, towards the end of the evening, everything had fallen into place and I was finished.

Sitting back in my chair, I read through all that I’d written and then reread it again, the smile growing on my lips as I stared at the completed profile. I did it. I actually did it. I’d designed and created an entirely new entity that existed online.

I made someone.

The only thing left for me to do was to send him out into the world.

Logging into Ryan’s brand new email account, I keyed in Sean’s address and then typed out a quick email to him:

Hey, Just watched some of your videos and wanted to say that you’re really good.

I’ve always wanted to play the piano. You make it look so easy.

Ryan

Moving the cursor, I scrolled upwards and read through the mail again, my mind questioning me over what I was about to do. Switching to the biography, I scanned a few lines, and then returned to the mail.

It would’ve been easy to stop at that point, to click Delete and forget about the entire evening, but I’d come too far to turn back. I had to see what happened next. I wanted to know the truth.

‘Are you sure?’

Nerves and excitement caused my heart to race as I clicked on the Send button.

Message sent.

I sat motionless on the chair for a few seconds, letting it all sink in, before I shut off the computer and then headed to bed. Laying down on the sheets, I was overcome by a fleeting sense of pride, a feeling of accomplishment. Only it didn’t feel completely real. It felt like a game.

At some point I’d dozed off, only to be woken by a vibration in my hand, followed by a subtle chirp. Wiping at my eyes with the back of my hand, I stared down at the glowing display of my phone.

I’d received a mail. A reply from Sean.

 
Special thanks to TalonRider, JFK, and Craig.
Want more West?  Visit my site (www.wordsbykai.com) to read the next chapter early!
And please don't forget to like this chapter over on the right! smile.png >>>
Copyright © 2013 Kai Taylor; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This had an interesting start, kicking things off with deception can only mean there is a wild, and likly painful ride ahead...which can all come together to make for a potentially awesome read and I for one look forward to seeing more.

Link to comment

Hey Kai! I love your new story! West is a cool name; this is the second story I read w/a 'West' in it.

 

West definitely started something he might not be able to stop. It's not a nice game he's playing and for someone who doesn't want to hurt his best friend, he certainly isn't thinking twice about the fact that what he's doing can very well hurt Sean.

 

I may have to read the second chapter from your site; I'm too impatient to wait for an update. lol

 

Oh, and what about "Kieran"? Are you going to finish it? And "American Dreams"? (Was that the name of it; I couldn't find it on your site...)

Link to comment

This is a very interesting start to the story! The later half of this chapter I found was very intriguing.

Link to comment

sir you have intrigued me, almost to the point where i don't want to read on... i have been there (literally) and i know from dreadful experience that this ends badly. eep.

remember i said almost....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 7/22/2013 at 11:22 PM, Sasha Distan said:

sir you have intrigued me, almost to the point where i don't want to read on... i have been there (literally) and i know from dreadful experience that this ends badly. eep.

remember i said almost....

I'm in agreement with Sasha here. But the first chapter has intrigued me, so I'll at least see how the second one goes.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..