Jump to content
    Kitt
  • Author
  • 895 Words
  • 688 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Quiet the Little Voice - 11. Impossible Spots

Prompt 239 First Line - Would you just give me a minute please?
Kids can get into the damnedest spots. Animals are worse yet. But this one? Impossible!

Impossible Spots

 

Robs mind was racing. How was it he kept finding himself in these impossible situations? There was the time the ladder had fallen when he was attempting to prune the apple tree. Of course there was no within earshot to help. And the time he was trying to fish his keys out of the gap between the copier and the shredder. Damn shredder had eaten his favorite tie and tried to strangle him besides. And the day the awning poles fell over in the workshop and blocked him into the lavatory. He had been stuck in there for hours.

 

But nothing like this had ever happened before. Not to Robbie, king of the improbable situations. How the hell was he supposed to fix this one? His mind was racing.

 

The little girl kept crying and shouting for him to do something. Her mom was trying to stay cool about things, but it was obvious she was getting more and more wound up. And the twit with the camera certainly wasn't helping!

 

At least the horse wasn't panicking. Since he was the one at risk this time that’s a good thing Rob thought to himself. SOMEONE had to keep a cool head!

 

He walked once around the trailer, looking in from each door and window, studying things from every possible angle. He was trying to get a handle on just how to get this silly pony out of the impossible position he had put himself into.

 

Everything had gone so smoothly with this pick up until now. The horse had been sweet and cooperative, had walked right onto the trailer for Rob. Moving horses you are not familiar with can be a challenge. Some of them don’t like strangers handling them, some don’t like trailers, and others can be smart-asses who want to test your patience.

 

Then the twit with the camera came running out wanting one last picture before we left to bring him to his new home, her pack of unruly dogs running out of the house ahead of her raising holy hell at the sight of a stranger with a trailer in “their” farmyard. The horse had freaked at all the noise, and was just small enough he was able to rear in the warm blood trailer, both his front hooves coming down in front of the belly bar. Now he was standing quietly thank god, but with both front legs hanging in midair and a “help me human” look on his face.

 

Rob shook himself and then dropped down to one knee to talk to the little girl.

 

“Okay Suzie, I need your help here. Can you help me?”

 

The ten year old sniffled a time or two and nodded her head.

 

“Good girl. Now your new pony here has gone and gotten himself into a tight spot and it’s up to us to get him out of it. Can you run to the tack room and get me a handful of sweet feed in a little bucket and a carrot?”

 

The little girl turned on her heel and raced off, Rob sighed in relief. No more screaming could only help the situation and maybe now he could think.

 

He approached the escape door slowly. Last thing he needed was to spook the horse again. Talking quietly he moved into the doorway, all the time watching those sharp front hooves hanging at what was from the ground his head level.

 

“Okay little man; let’s see how we are going to get you down from there. That’s a good boy, stay nice and quiet. We don’t want you getting hurt now do we?”

 

Rob stroked the horse’s neck gently, trying to build trust in one hell of a hurry. He tugged experimentally on the belly bar latch, but with 1200 pounds of horse leaning on it there was no way to open it and let him down. Rob continued to run his hands over the frightened animal, trying to determine if he had any injuries that might complicate things.

 

When he reached the hooves it was a toss-up who was more shocked. As Rob ran his hands over the pastern the horse pulled his hoof back and up, almost like Rob had tickled him. The next thing Rob knew the pony had reared up slowly and just pulled himself back over the belly bar and was now standing quietly looking very proud of himself. He turned his head out of the trailer door and nuzzled Rob, as the little girl was running back with the treats for her new pony.

Copyright © 2013 Kitt; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Help me human" - now that was funny, Kitt! :) The poor pony.

 

But I gotta tell ya, I was cracking up at all the predicaments Rob gets himself into.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter - I can't believe I never even saw this one!

Link to comment
On 10/27/2013 03:58 PM, Lisa said:
"Help me human" - now that was funny, Kitt! :) The poor pony.

 

But I gotta tell ya, I was cracking up at all the predicaments Rob gets himself into.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter - I can't believe I never even saw this one!

A lot of these were posted all over the place before I took the editor tag and could start a "story" for them. This one was my first and took me forever to track down in the prompts section.

 

I've seen the "help me human" look more times than most would realize! Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..