Jump to content
    Kitt
  • Author
  • 1,017 Words
  • 918 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Quiet the Little Voice - 14. The Babysitter

What do you do when your family is well meaning but adds insult to injury?

The Babysitter.

 

Ayla pushed herself back against the headboard. She really hated the helpless feeling several pounds of plaster on her leg caused. It was already beginning to take a toll on her moods. Who would have thought you could break your leg by stepping on a darned toy car? But a broken leg is what she ended up with – and not just one bone – she had to do things “right” and break both the tibia and the fibula.

*

“What do you mean I can’t even put my foot down? I’m supposed to hop on crutches for the next six weeks?”

“No, you are supposed to take it easy for the next six weeks! You have a tib/fib fracture. That means you do not have a bone to stand on in that leg till they heal. Putting weight on it will cause distortion and it will never heal properly. You are out of work. You are to keep the leg propped up as much as you can, and LET YOUR FAMILY HELP YOU!” The doctor was obviously exasperated with Ayla. She was not what one would call a cooperative patient. Bryton shook his head.

“Ayla calm down. You know damned well you are going to do exactly what the man says. Why make such a fuss about this?”

“You are not the one being sentenced to six weeks of boredom!”

“Can I take her home now doc? I am sure you would like your emergency room to be free of her ranting.”

The doctor smiled at Bryton. “Please do. If there are any problems, swelling around the ends of the cast and so forth, call the office. We’ll get her in right away.”

Oh wow, Bryton thought. That’s one hell of a smile!

*

“OK –Bry insisted on carrying me in last night and dropped me right into the bed. No one told me how I am supposed to tend to myself around here for the next six weeks,” Ayla thought. She looked at the door to the en-suite bath. It looked like an awful long way for her first solo flight, but her bladder was starting to get insistent.

As she struggled clear of the blankets she realized there was another problem. Her crutches were leaning against the wall by the door, a good 10 feet away. They were further than the bathroom! Swearing under her breath she reached to the bedside table for her cell phone. She tapped her good foot impatiently as she waited for a response.

Ayla launched into her tirade before Bryton could even say hello.

“OK you crazy SOB! You know damn well I am not supposed to put weight on this leg and you leave my crutches 10 foot from my bed?”

Bryton laughed brightly.

“And how else was I supposed to keep you from trying to hop all over the house? Last thing you need is to try going down those stairs in your building and going for coffee on one leg!”

“Well you didn't think about something smart-ass! Just how am I supposed to get to the bathroom?”

“You aren't. You can’t shower with a plaster cast silly!”

Ayla literally growled into the phone. She loved Bryton dearly but he was definitely not the swiftest train on the tracks.

“There are OTHER things a woman does in a bathroom you know!” she shouted.

“Oh. Oh My! I’ll be there in 5 min. I’ll bring sis to help you dress too. I know we are best friends and all but somehow I don’t think being dressed by your gay bestie is your style!”

“Bring Coffee. I definitely need a cup of coffee! As one of my favorite authors once had a character say – ‘there is way too much blood in my caffeine stream’. I NEED a cup!”

*

It took a bit of maneuvering to get Ayla into a presentable state. None of her jeans would go over the plaster. She and Carla, Bry’s sister, finally settled on a flowing mid-calf length skirt. The bathroom was big enough to bring a dining room chair in for her to sit on, and by the time they were done the ladies had the room situated so Ayla could handle things herself in the mornings. Thirty minutes after their arrival the siblings had Ayla settled in the big overstuffed recliner, with her favorite coffee and a cheese Danish on the table next to her, along with a thermos full of refills, her cell phone, the remotes to the TV and stereo, and some snacks.

“OK babe. Now that you are all settled comfortably we need to scoot. I’ll be back to check on you at lunch time. I’m leaving Kayla here.” Bryton laughed maliciously. “New meaning to the word baby sitter!” he smirked as he closed the door behind him.

Ayla looked at Bry’s daughter. Kayla had been adopted at birth and named more or less after her godmother. She was a bright loving little girl of 6, and adored spending time with her favorite “aunt”. Bry always insisted she use the honorific with Ayla. It was his opinion she was as much the child’s aunt as Carla. She watched curiously as Kayla settled her little teddy bear into the chair with her aunt and then grabbed the crutches and ran to the far side of the room.

“Hey! Bring those back here you little imp!”

“Nope. You fell on Jason’s watch when you stepped on his hot wheelies. One owie caused by us kids is bad. I am not gonna let you get another owie when I am watching you! Daddy says you are supposed to stay there till he gets back for lumch.” Ayla could not help but smile at the child's mispronunciations in spite of her irritation. ”Bathroom trips only, and only if you can’t wait for daddy to help you!”

What do you do when your family is well meaning but adds insult to injury?
Copyright © 2013 Kitt; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omg, Kitt! I loved this one! :)

 

Kayla is adorable!

 

Poor Ayla though. Can't imagine lying around for six weeks, unable to walk or even hop! I broke my toe one time at night when I stubbed in on my kid' playset which was stupidly set up by the bedroom door! Couldn't drive, walk...I learned to hop really well and sit on my butt and go up and down the stairs. Not fun! lol

 

Great chapter, Kitt! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 11/09/2013 05:09 AM, knotme said:
A kid babysits and holds power (for now) over a nearly helpless adult. Nice!
Don't children hold power over us a lot more than we care to admit? Thank you for reading.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/09/2013 02:24 PM, Lisa said:
Omg, Kitt! I loved this one! :)

 

Kayla is adorable!

 

Poor Ayla though. Can't imagine lying around for six weeks, unable to walk or even hop! I broke my toe one time at night when I stubbed in on my kid' playset which was stupidly set up by the bedroom door! Couldn't drive, walk...I learned to hop really well and sit on my butt and go up and down the stairs. Not fun! lol

 

Great chapter, Kitt! :2thumbs:

Thank you Lisa! I had fun with this one. Kayla sounds very much like a real 5 yr old I knew once. Her family moved away before I got a chance to see what sort of a teen she would be, but if the imp held sway, watch out!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A kid leaves a toy on the floor = Ouch!

 

Give a kid a little bit of power = Ouch!

 

Unfortunately for poor Ayla, this is what happens in life sometimes. As adults, often we have to grin and bear it and especially when we have no choice. I like this, Kitt.

Link to comment
On 11/10/2013 02:48 AM, Ron said:
A kid leaves a toy on the floor = Ouch!

 

Give a kid a little bit of power = Ouch!

 

Unfortunately for poor Ayla, this is what happens in life sometimes. As adults, often we have to grin and bear it and especially when we have no choice. I like this, Kitt.

Thank you Ron. People often underestimate the power of setting a little one to a task. Kayla will find ways to keep her aunt in line!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/11/2013 02:05 AM, totallyy said:
i like this kid :P and i don't say that often. great story :D
Thank you T!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is a very cute story with an irritated protagonist and a cutie in Kayla. And poor Bryton; he's being yelled at and it's not his fault.

Note to Ayla: "When there are little kids around, assume that you're walking through a minefield. Because you are!"

Note to Bryton: "If Ayla only has the TV for entertainment, she's going to be brain dead before the 6 weeks are up. So how come she doesn't have a Kindle or a tablet? Buy her one!"

Colin B)

Link to comment
On 11/12/2013 07:55 PM, colinian said:
This is a very cute story with an irritated protagonist and a cutie in Kayla. And poor Bryton; he's being yelled at and it's not his fault.

Note to Ayla: "When there are little kids around, assume that you're walking through a minefield. Because you are!"

Note to Bryton: "If Ayla only has the TV for entertainment, she's going to be brain dead before the 6 weeks are up. So how come she doesn't have a Kindle or a tablet? Buy her one!"

Colin B)

Aww come on, give Bry a break! ( no pun intended ) He brought her home late and got rousted fairly early to get her settled before going to work himself, his brain will kick in eventually.

 

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..