Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,886 Words
  • 8,794 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Standing In Shadows - 4. Chapter 4

SIS 4

I woke up not really wanting to do anything, but not long after I opened my eyes the door opened and Dad walked into the room. He looked at me and I had wanted to pretend to still be asleep, but he had already seen me. He offered me a seemingly cold smile when I rose up in my bed. I was used to him barging in on me when he wanted to say something, he only knocked when Mom told him to respect my privacy, but I knew she was already at work by this time of day. It gave him leverage in dealing with me.

"I called Cj and Clinton's fathers this morning," He stated smiling completely now. "They are making them pay for a new phone and watch."

"Dad I told you not to," I complained and he crossed his arms.

"Next time kick their asses," he said taking a step back and leaning against the door frame to my room. "That will be the last time they treat you like a loser."

"Right that will get them to stop their shit," I responded not hiding the sarcasm in my voice. Dad only smirked then turned and left the room ending the discussion. I was about to stand and get ready when he came back into the room though.

"Oh and Jenny is waiting on your lazy ass out on the swing," he said smiling. "I knew you'd come to your senses, she's a nice girl."

"Yeah," I offered. He left and closed the door behind him this time and I grabbed on a pair of shorts and slipped on a pair of old sneakers. I didn't bother in tying my shoe laces as I opened the door and stepped out into the hallway of our small house. I always felt too large for the house after we moved, we didn't need the space, but it would be nice to live in a larger house. I still missed our old home in town after all these years living here.

When I was outside I saw Jenny looking out across the field to the old church. Only a few people attended that church every Sunday, but they had a basketball court in good condition. That's when I noticed in the distance that Greg was there playing basketball by himself. He had his shirt off and stuffed into the back pocket of his khaki shorts and I could see from this distance that his skin glistened from sweat in the early morning summer heat.

"Good morning Corey," Jenny said getting my attention. I looked at her and she patted the seat beside the swing.

"I didn't expect to see you after last night," I responded not sitting, bit leaning against the porch railing. Jenny only frowned and looked down at her neatly painted fingernails, they were a light purple that matched the strings of her bathing suit just hidden behind a white tank top. She was going somewhere, but stopped in to see me this morning.

"About Cj, he's just a friend, he's like that with all the girls," she explained in a careful voice that seemed foreign for her.

"You seemed to like it," I countered crossing my arms against my bare chest.

"Corey I don't like Cj stop being jealous," she responded amused by me. I wasn't jealous, but I didn't let on that she was wrong about the way I felt about the situation last night. "I came over this morning to make sure you're ok."

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked forcing a smile. She returned my smile then stood causing the swing to screech and swing erratically for a few seconds. She stretched her arms then leaned against the railing beside me. I wanted to scoot over, but she had already relaxed herself against my shoulder.

"Men," she huffed jamming her petite elbow into my side. "You were so upset about being pushed into the river last night and now you're fine."

"I don't let Cj bother me too much," I lied. Everything that Cj did annoyed me in some way and Jenny being friendly with an asshole like that didn't help my feelings for him. Cj wasn't someone that anyone should want to be friends with, but with all the privileges that come with being the mayor's son Cj is never short of friends. He wouldn't have them if his father wasn't who he was, but I wouldn't be the football star in a small town with out my father either. It seemed that we were destined to hate one another in this small town, but I would dislike anyone like him. It just seemed more relevant here in this seemingly forgotten place we all called Mooresville, even though it wasn't on any traveling maps.

"I don't know why you two don't get along, you two get along with almost everyone else," Jenny commented standing up and walking to the center of the porch ready to go down the stairs.

"He sucks that's why," I answered smirking. She only rolled her eyes at my childish response.

"I'm going to the pool do you want to come along it's just the girls, and me" she said and I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't really want to go to the pool, but there wasn't anything else to do here, but I did turn to see Greg still playing ball in the church parking lot.

"I may catch up with you later Jen," I said, "thanks for the invite."

"Ok, don't keep us waiting too long," Jenny responded as she walked down the steps to her new red convertible. After she left the driveway I stepped back into the house and into the laundry room. I saw that Mom had put Greg's clean clothes in a plastic bag, but she also had a sticky note placed on the bag.

"Only a good friend will give you clean underwear," I read aloud then blushed slightly. I looked inside the bag and saw that she had placed them on top. I let out a laugh then tied the bag in a loose knot before turning and leaving the small house again. I looked down at my untied shoes and knelt down finally tying them then I crossed the old paved road that only led to town and entered the field that belonged to the small church. Greg saw me and stopped shooting the basketball and waited until I was standing on the court with him.

"How's it going?" Greg asked noticing the bag in my hand. Seeing him standing there resting the basketball on his hip with the sweat giving a shine to his body I wanted to divert my attention to anything else, but nothing was as interesting.

"I have your clothes," I stammered after an uneasy silence forced me to speak. He only shrugged and started bouncing the ball again.

"I need a sparring partner," he said. "Do you have time to play some one on one?"

"No," I responded uneasily not quite knowing why I was acting this way, but didn't know how to correct it. I was afraid that Greg would pick up on it and think I was weird or something, but I couldn't read him at all. I was never good at reading people, but I wanted to know what he was thinking right now more than anything.

"But you had time to walk up here and give me my clothes?" He asked smirking. "In just your shorts and shoes."

"Oh," I offered looking down at the plastic bag containing his clothes. "Jenny invited me to go swimming later."

"Really?" He asked and I looked up at him as he took a shot. It clanked off the rim so he had to chase the ball into the field. When it was retrieved he returned to stand in front of me, but closer.

"Yeah, do you want to come?" I asked then regretted inviting him remembering that Jenny said it was just she and her friends.

"I went by the pool this morning it was full of a lot of high school..." he started, but didn't finish the sentence. He only smirked then looked down at the ground.

"Kids," I finished rolling my eyes. "So we're all just a bunch of annoying shits to you?"

"Most of you are," he said smiling. "And even if it was just a drive by I saw a lot of shits from last night."

"Oh," I responded dropping the bag to the paved basketball court. It didn't have any lines like a real court, but it was in great shape. There was though a slight rise and fall of the pavement as it was paved on uneven ground. The ball itself wouldn't stop rolling if it was placed on the ground, but it didn't obstruct the play bad at all. "Still want to play?"

"Its why I'm here," he said passing me the ball. "Go easy on me I'm not a basketball player."

"I kinda noticed," I said laughing slightly. "I'm not either."

"Right football prodigy in training," he countered as I started dribbling the ball. I had only been able to play basketball during P.E classes in high school, but I enjoyed the sport more than any of the others.

When I started towards the basket Greg didn't back down his defense and I felt his sweaty chest bush against my shoulder. Then he swatted for the ball with his hand and I turned my back towards him to block his attempt. I wanted to stop playing when he was leaned against me, but Greg took a step back suddenly and caused me to stumble. I fell on my back, the ball rolling the opposite direction. I could hear Greg laughing as I looked up at the cloudless blue sky. I only sat up to watch him make an easy lay up and I had to put my hand out to block the ball from hitting my head on the way down.

"That was a dirty trick," I quipped standing up and brushing off the back of my shorts. Then I felt a hand on my back and I turned quickly to see Greg holding his hand up like he was still touching me.

"You have black pebbles all over your back," he said. "Let me brush them off."

"I can reach them," I said as I strained my hands back and started brushing away every small piece of dirt that I could feel with my fingers. When my arms got tired I let them fall back to my side and held out my hand for the ball. Greg only smirked and bounce passed it to me for me to try and get a shot. Again when Greg went for the ball I turned my back into him, but this time it didn't seem as weird feeling his chest lying against my back. I was ready for his shift as well, not wanting to repeat the same mistake twice. I missed the shot though and he rebounded it then took his turn trying to get past me. He was quicker than me, being thinner, but when he went up for the shot I jumped too and slightly grazed my fingers on the ball enough to make him miss.

The game went on for what seemed like forever, neither of us scored too many and we only stopped when the intense early summer heat exhausted our effort to where we looked goofy trying to score. It did cause us to laugh at one another and when it was over I sat down on the warm pavement still sweating. Greg put the ball down and watched it roll to the edge of the pavement and coming to stop a foot or more into the field.

"We're not destined for the NBA I can see that," he huffed still slightly out of breath.

"Not at all," I agreed causing him to laugh. "So who won actually?"

"I don't even know," he said shrugging. He took his shirt out of his pocket and I thought he was going to put it on, but he only bundled it up then held it out for me. "Do you want it to use as a pillow?"

"No," I answered waving my hand slightly. He shrugged then placed it behind his head then lied down on the pavement. It wasn’t unbearably hot sitting out on it yet, but by mid July some one could probably fry an egg on it. It felt good this time of year though.

“So really, what does this town do for fun?” He asked holding his hand up to shield his eyes from the sun. He had his head turned towards me and his eyes squinted. His face was also in a frown from the strained muscles in his face. I only offered him a shrug and he let out a sigh. “Oh right you’d be working right now wouldn’t you?”

“Yeah,” I responded sighing as well. “There is the pool, then the football field and track is open during the summer.”

“To do what?” He asked not seeming interested in the football field being open.

“Well for me I could get a few free hours to play catch with my Dad,” I explained. “It was more him drilling me to death.”

“Then I don’t want to play catch with you,” he stated smiling. “We can always go on a road trip and spend the day doing whatever we find.”

“What do you mean?” I asked as he sat up and stretched.

“A road trip dork,” he answered nudging me with his shoulder when I sat up too. “Man you have been sheltered.”

“Shut up,” I countered lightly. “I just can’t skip town.”

“I don’t mean go to Vegas or something,” he explained. “A short drive somewhere more fun than this little town.”

“We’re surrounded by little towns like this one,” I said. Greg only smiled at me then stood. He offered his hand to help me to my feet, but I didn’t take it. He let his hand drop when I was on my feet. I only offered him a small smile. These small awkward scenarios were becoming for frequent and I just wanted for them to stop. I wanted to be comfortable, but it seemed that I just couldn’t be around him. He seemed like a casual enough guy to be around, so it was just my quirkiness in the way.

“Then we need to get a start on that trip,” Greg stated quickly picking up his shirt. “Pick you up in thirty minutes.”

“What?” I asked watching him quickly retrieve his ball. He didn’t answer me as he jogged towards his car. I only stopped staring at him when he backed out of the church parking lot. I realized that he was really serious about this road trip so I turned and started jogging towards the house. When I arrived, I remembered the punishment from the night before and sighed. I still had the garage to clean, but I didn’t know when I would be back. I also didn’t believe Dad would allow me to go on a trip with someone like Greg. He would think I should be spending all the time in the day with Jenny if I wasn’t going to practice football. So I ignored the house and walked across the crumbly paved parking area belonging to the store.

Mom wasn’t really working as she only had a few people in the store. They were regulars just sitting around after they retired from their jobs. They came in to talk to one another and watch whatever game was on television. Tennis was the only thing on of interest to them, but even then it didn’t have their full attention. I did though, when I walked into the store. The bell that dinged every time some one came in didn’t help either.

“There’s the star athlete,” old man Walter said as he turned around to look at me. He was a small-framed short man. He used to work in construction; it didn’t add any muscle on him though. He was sitting with the retired janitor of the high school, Mr. Samuels as well as the old fire chief for this part of town Thomas.

“Hey Walter,” I greeted and nodded to the other two. Mom wasn’t at the counter to save me from them. I hated being gloated upon or talked to about football here at the store. I would hear the same old stories about Dad. I hated most when I was compared to him and even worse any similarities we shared. It was at least motivation to do better than he did at the sport so that they wouldn’t bring things like that into conversations.

“How’s that golden arm?” Thomas asked pointing to my right arm.

“Taking a break for the summer,” I answered rotating my arm slightly.

“Don’t let it get soft,” Walter stated. “Your old man won’t let that happen though.”

“This year Corey is taking the summer off,” Mom said coming out of the storage area in the store. She had retrieved paper and cloth grocery bags from the back to restock her supply behind the counter. “I don’t know why he’s here though and almost naked as the day he was born.”

“Sorry,” I stammered. I suddenly felt exposed and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Go on now get out,” Mom said waving her hands in front of her. “Before your father sees you and puts you to cleaning the garage.”

“That’s what I came here for,” I said. “A friend wants me to go with him and I don’t know when we’ll be back.”

“Not one of the friends from last night is it?” Mom asked cocking an eyebrow. “I still have a mind to put them shits over my knee.”

“Mom!” I hissed looking around the store. Walter and the others were snickering, but had their back to me. “It’s not any of them.”

“Then go have fun,” she said, “thanks for letting me know you won’t be back in time to clean the garage.”

“I will clean it though,” I stated.

“You won’t have a reason to when I get it cleaned,” Mom countered winking at me. “You’ll be in too late to get it done anyway and a garage gets filthy fast.”

“That won’t go over well with Dad,” I said in a low whisper. Mom only smiled reassuringly. “Well you know it won’t.”

“It was his idea to have you clean it,” Mom explained. “I though went to bed knowing my boy would come home.”

“So I didn’t worry you?” I asked hoping she wasn’t just trying to make me feel better about last night.

“It was your father that woke me up,” she answered. “I would be worried if you acted more like he did when he was your age.” Again I heard the old men behind us laughing. Mom only shot them an amused look over my shoulder then rolled her eyes.

“I need to get going thanks, Mom,” I said smiling. I mouthed the words, “I love you,” then left the store. As I was leaving I heard Mom asking the guys how the Tennis match was coming along. I looked over my shoulder from behind the class door and saw all four of them laughing. Even if we did live on the empty side of town, it was the people that at least made it worth it.

I noticed that Dad was in the back yard weeding around the potted plants Mom had in the back yard. He didn’t noticed me and I let out a sigh of relief when I was on the front porch out his view. I only had a brief amount of time to take a shower so I rushed into the bathroom and stripped naked. I washed my hair and body quickly then let the cool water wash over my body. I had my eyes closed with my face in the stream as well. I smelled the soap and shampoo in the air it was a nice mixture.

I didn’t expect to hear a knock on the door, but it snapped me from my relaxation under the spray of water. I quickly turned off the water and grabbed a towel. When I wasn’t dripping everywhere I stepped out and walked down the hall hoping Dad hadn’t heard the knock. I opened the door to see Greg dressed in a buttoned shirt and a pair of khaki shorts. I looked down and frowned slightly when I saw that he was wearing flip-flops. It was a style of shoe Dad wouldn’t accept seeing on a grown man, but I didn’t say anything.

“I’m not early,” Greg stated smiling at me.

“Sorry,” I said not gesturing for him to come in. “I had to tell Mom my plans.”

“Oh,” he offered. “I’ll wait on the swing.” He was still smiling an unreadable smile as I closed the door and quickly walked into my bedroom. I made sure the curtains were closed before I dropped my towel knowing that the porch was just outside my window. I could hear the swing screeching as Greg sat and waited. I had no time for indecision, but when I looked over my closet for something to wear I was at a loss. When I heard the back screen door open and slam I grabbed a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. I also slid into a pair of briefs then quickly dressed.

When my sneakers were tied I glanced in the mirror then rubbed my hair down neglecting the time it took for me to style and comb it. I then sprayed some cologne on my clothes and neck. The last thing I did was rub on some deodorant under both arms and as I walked out of my bedroom I saw Dad in the kitchen drying his hands. He already had a beer opened on the counter and his shirt was stained with sweat.

“Who is out front?” Dad asked looking at me. “It’s definitely not Jenny.”

“A friend,” I answered vaguely.

“The same friend that let you borrow his clothes last night?” Dad asked leaning against the counter with his arms crossed over his chest. It looked like he was about to disprove of my choice of friends, but waited for an answer from me before passing judgment.

“Yeah,” I answered finally.

“He looks a little fruity,” Dad said then snatched up his can of beer taking a few drinks from it. He was starting to gain weight from his consumption of the drink, but no one dared tell him about it other than Mom. Even she didn’t get far with him over his habit, it was something neither of us approved of.

“No he don’t,” I countered wanting to defend Greg.

“Why can’t you hang out with some guys from the team that are still in town?” Dad asked walking around the counter and into the living room to sit down in his recliner. He instantly reclined it and sat his beer down only to grab the newspaper that sat on the table. “He looks older than you, how old is he?”

“He’s in college,” I answered not really knowing how old Greg was. Dad looked over the top of his paper at me for a few moments. He didn’t say a word, but I didn’t move from my spot in the living room knowing Dad wasn’t finished. He was waiting for me to start explaining everything I knew about Greg. Not knowing much about him I just kept quiet, even if I was urged to speak. The silence was uneasy; the only sound was him turning the page of the newspaper still waiting.

“What are you doing?” Dad asked bending the paper completely down to study me. “Keeping your friend waiting isn’t very polite I taught you better than that.”

“Sorry sir,” I answered frowning.

“I want you back at a decent hour too and that garage better be spotless before your ass goes to bed,” Dad huffed as I started walking towards the door.

“Ok,” I offered then heard him clear his throat. “Ok sir.”

“And then tomorrow why don’t you call up some of the team and scrimmage a bit on the practice field,” Dad stated as I opened the door. I didn’t respond as I closed the door behind me trying not to let my anger read across my face. I could feel the heat building on my cheeks and I knew I was blushing. Greg only looked up at me then stood causing the swing to screech. We didn’t talk until we were both in his jeep.

“Looks like you have tomorrow planned for you already,” Greg said in a careful tone. I had hoped he didn’t hear the conversation, but the windows were thin glass and Dad liked to talk loud enough to be heard.

“It seems that way,” I responded as I buckled my seat belt when we hit the paved road. I had expected Greg to turn into the direction of town, but instead he turned left.

“Do you need help cleaning the garage?” Greg asked and I looked at him. He glanced in my direction briefly then turned his attention back to the road.

“It’s taken care of,” I answered flatly. “Are you just doing this because you feel sorry for me?”

“No,” Greg answered and I saw him frown. It seemed to darken his appearance.

“Sorry,” I offered and he only shrugged and kept his attention to the road. I turned and looked out the passenger side window thinking I had just ruined the entire road trip we had planned. I watched as the trees passed quickly still trying to calm myself down after the discussion I had with Dad. I expected Greg to pull off the road and turn around any time and when he did stop the Jeep I looked over at him. He put the Jeep in park though and looked at me.

“You might hate the situations your Dad puts you in,” he started then closed his mouth. I thought he was just going to give up and start driving again. He didn’t look mad even though his tone seemed hard, but sympathetic and that made me feel uneasy. “And I don’t think I look fruity.” I let out a brief fit of laughter. Greg only smiled then turned the key starting the Jeep again. I knew that I had made him mad, but he didn’t seem like the person that held things against people.

“You don’t,” I responded. Greg looked like any normal college student. He also took care of his body as he had a slight athletic build. I would think he belonged to a Frat, but his personality didn’t match. “It’s the flip flops.” Greg glanced at me before checking for traffic before he pulled back onto the road.

“Dude they’re comfortable,” he defended lightly. “Don’t you think so?”

“I guess,” I answered shrugging. “It’s the first time I’ve really worn any.”

“You know you seem alien,” Greg said shaking his head.

“You do too,” I countered glaring at him thinking he insulted me.

“It’s a good thing,” he said. “To be different from what I’ve seen of this place.”

“It’s not all bad,” I explained. He only offered a small nod as he started paying attention to road signs.

“I’m from a large town and I don’t think I’ve even met my next door neighbor,” he said interrupting the silence that fell between us. “And all I have to do is mention your name and people know everything about you.”

“So you know everything about me?” I asked feeling the embarrassment creeping across my face again.

“Only about your passing yards and shit like that,” he said offering me a smile. “Impressive shit really, but not really all you.”

“Good,” I huffed. “It would be weird if you did know everything about me.”

“I think I would avoid you if I did,” Greg agreed and I laughed. “How does it feel to have a fan club?”

“I don’t have a fan club,” I answered and he smirked looking at me as we kept going down the curvy road. There were three small cities that we could go to on this road as it forked soon. Greg didn’t seem lost as he kept a smooth pace, but I wondered if he had this road trip all planned out. Being away from the town would be a welcome change for me so I welcomed it and just relaxed in my seat. The rest of the drive was in an easy silence. Greg had made me forget the conversation I had with Dad, but when we stopped at our final destination I read the name of the place and instantly wanted to leave.

Copyright © 2014 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like all the sport stuff and the game playing, pick up ball. Mentioning playing, I wonder is Greg a player in more than one way? So far he seems nice. I also wonder why two guys hate each other and yet are liked by everyone else. Foreshadowing, maybe. Also poor Jenny.

 

I ran out of reps so I will have to catch you later for this chapter. Fun story. Except dad seems to be changing for the worse, why is that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..