Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,778 Words
  • 8,684 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Standing In Shadows - 3. Chapter 3

SIS 3

I had shifted my gaze through out the small opening in the forest next to the river making a point not to look at Jen. I didn’t want her to know that I saw her. A few moments ago I thought Jen wanted me back, but there with Cj I knew I had been forgotten. It bothered me, that she would do that for something like him. Someone who didn’t care about other people and like everyone else in this small town heard the rumor. The dark side of Cj, which had me worried about Jen.

“Why is she here with him?” I asked turning to Greg who was walking beside me.

“You two aren’t over?” Greg asked ignoring my question. He did look in her direction though and I followed his eyes to see that Jen was being whispered to and she was smiling. Her hair was blowing in the breeze, the same gentle breeze that caused me to shudder.

“I don’t know,” I hissed. “This is all new to me.” I glanced at Greg who didn’t seem too surprised by what I had just said to him. He had come here to have fun, something I knew wasn’t likely for me. I had a lot of new things trying to pierce through my mind at one time and didn’t want to deal with them right at this moment.

“Then I suggest you go talk to her,” Greg stated pushing me gently forward. I stopped after his hand slid off my shoulder, but my eyes were still fixed on the happy couple off to the side.

“I’ll talk to her tomorrow,” I sighed looking back down to my bottle of beer. When I turned back around though Greg was gone. I scanned the crowd and saw him making his way back to the truck containing the coolers full of beer so I started to follow him.

“Well look,” Clinton yelled over the music to get my attention. “Its Corey Wells everybody!”

“Yeah,” I responded studying him and frowning. I didn’t like the attention and when I looked around I saw that Cj had left Jenny standing off to the side and I didn’t know where he had went.

“Your Daddy let you out after dark?” Clinton asked stepping up and heavily slamming his arm around my shoulder. I tensed my muscles when he ruffled my hair with his other hand. I could smell the beer on his breath when he leaned into me, a heavy smile on his face.

“I do what I want,” I answered as convincingly as I could. It was a sad lie and everyone there knew it. It wasn’t a secret that I had to work during the summer and practice with Dad to improve my arm. I had also never been to one of these parties and now showing up to one was unexpected.

“Want to go for a swim?” Clinton asked as I felt his other hand grab my side. He held me and then I felt two new hands push me in the back as they guided me towards the river. I tried to fight back, but my foot slipped off the bank and I hit the water causing a splash. The water was warm and moving gently so I found my footing easily, but when I looked up I saw everyone standing on the bank laughing at me. This was Cj’s territory and I knew I should’ve just went home after the baseball game in the park. The crowd of my classmates parted when I clumsily made my way up the steep bank.

“Go back to your side of town,” Cj ordered putting his arm around Jenny. “Earn your poor Daddy that championship so that he can keep his job.”

“Fuck you,” I hissed taking a few steps towards him, but Clinton got in my way. I glared at him for a few seconds then the embarrassment of the night reminded me that I wanted to get away from everyone and go back home.

I walked back to my car and when I opened the door Greg put his hand on mine stopping me. I pulled my hand away and refused to look at him as I felt my anger building and my eyes start to sting with the tears I was having difficulty controlling.

“Come on, slow down,” Greg whispered trying to calm me. “If you speed away like this they’ll know you’re hurting.”

“Fuck them,” I growled looking down at my clean seat not wanting to get it wet I reached into my pocket and pulled out my keys. “I’m walkin, you can drive the car.”

“I have extra clothes in my car at the park,” Greg said as he took the keys from my hand. I stepped out of his way as he slid into the seat. “I’ll drive slow so you can walk beside the car.”

“Don’t bother I know my way back home,” I countered shutting the door and started down the grassy field. I didn’t glance back to see if everyone was still watching me. I had never felt this kind of embarrassment before. In school I was well liked, but summer had a different set of rules that I didn’t know anything about in this small useless town. I suddenly hated Mom and Dad’s decision to move. If we were still back in our old house in the neighborhood I wouldn’t be in this situation.

My clothes clung to my body and my shorts were still dripping. My hair was wet and I could smell the dirty water of the river with every step I took in the field. I heard the quiet motor of my car start and I glanced over my shoulder to see Greg slowly turning around in the field.

It was dark, but the moon and the stillness of the air supplied enough light for me to see a few feet in front of me and when I stepped onto the highway I turned left and started home. This was all new to me, I had friends in high school and most of the people at that party would walk by me and acknowledge me. Seeing them all laughing, standing a few feet above me on dry land made me wonder just how much I missed over the past three years of high school. I though had no intentions of going to another party in the field next to the river. As I got further down the road I pulled my soaked shirt over my head and packed it loosely in my hand. The night air was already warm here, even in the middle of May, right after school dismissed for summer vacations.

Greg slowed my car and coasted beside me on the road. He had rolled down the passenger window so that we could talk as he drove. When I looked through the open window I saw him looking at the road and glancing at me every few seconds, I didn’t want him to wait for me, but I was glad for the car lights illuminating the surroundings.

“You ok?” He asked talking loud enough for me to hear him over the hum of the car.

“I’m great,” I answered shaking my head. “Just a little wet.”

“Sarcasm, ouch,” Greg replied. I looked through my window at him again seeing that he was clutching his chest with his hand.

“You don’t have to follow me,” I stated crossing my arms over my bare chest. I suddenly felt under dressed in his presence and for some reason that bothered me. I had been naked in locker rooms for years, but this was different.

“Are you cold?” He asked, “I can give you my shirt.”

“I’m not cold,” I answered trying to hide the smile that crept across my lips. The gesture was unexpected, but I saw that Greg wasn’t like most people. He was older than me by a few years and could easily start ignoring me. He had friends and had come down here for the wedding of his friend. He didn’t have to be driving my car home for me at this moment and he was doing that.

“Alright,” he said, “do you wanna talk about what happened?”

“I’m not a damn kid,” I cussed shooting him a glare. He smiled uneasily as we slowly made our way down the road. The small town roads never did see much traffic at night, even during the summer. Most people who would be out at this time were at the party in the field. They wouldn’t be done there for a couple of hours. I was thankful at least that no one would see me walking on the road like this. I had already experienced more embarrassment that I could handle already.

“Sorry,” Greg apologized and I felt bad snapping at him.

“I just don’t get to go to those very much,” I explained and he nodded his head.

“Your first one,” he added and I nodded my head.

“And last,” I said, “I don’t need their party to have fun this summer.”

“Right,” Greg responded, “you can make your summer whatever you want it to be.”

“There’s just nothing to do in this shit town,” I countered and he laughed. I stepped closer to the car and rested my hand on the door in the open window. “How long are you here?”

“All summer, gotta support the newlyweds,” Greg answered. “It has been interesting so far though.”

“Dealing with us kids would be I bet,” I countered as we approached the park where his car was left parked.

“No it’s been alright,” he responded smiling, “hey I’ll catch ya at my car so you can change.” I was going to respond that I doubted his clothes would even fit me, but as soon as I stepped away from the car he took off and turned down the field. Being left alone, my eyes had to adjust to the darkness, but I started jogging and when I arrived at our cars he was leaning against mine with my keys on his finger. I stopped in front of him with a few feet separating us and I put my hands on my knees leaning forward as I tried to level out my breathing.

“I’m almost dry,” I explained through breaths of air. “I don’t even think your clothes will fit.”

“You may be muscled, but I’m not a wimp,” Greg said, “bet you five bucks my clothes will fit you.”

“Whatever,” I said as I stood. I glanced at my watch and saw that it had quit working, and that made me remember my cell. Taking it out of my pocket I frowned and saw that it too hadn’t survived the river.

“Those two shits need to pay for that,” Greg said as I grimaced.

“I know I’ll catch shit from my Dad for this,” I added as I put my phone on the top of my car. “Going to get your clothes so I can win the bet?”

“Oh, sure,” he said and walked around my car to his. He unlocked his car with his keys and I heard him rummaging through some bags as I waited I looked up at the sky and saw that it was a clear night. It would’ve been a great night if I didn’t have to deal with Jen or that party. Greg wasn’t bad company and I still was beating myself up for being a dick to him. I did walk around the back of my car as he still looked through his bags and I saw that his shirt had slid up his back and his shorts had hung low on his body. I could see a slight tan line and my eyes ticked lower to his butt. I noticed that even though his shorts hung low on him, he had two muscular mounds hidden beneath them. After he moved to slide out of his car I snapped out of it and immediately felt ashamed of myself. I had checked him out and I walked around the back of my car again and leaned against it letting out a sigh. I didn’t really know why I let myself be like this.

“Anything wrong?” Greg asked and I looked at him trying to force a smile.

“Just tired,” I answered, “those the clothes?”

“Yeah,” he said, “they’re my workout shorts so they’re loose.”

“Thanks,” I said as he handed them to me.

“And here’s a pair of flip-flops,” he added. I looked down at my feet and frowned. Dad wouldn’t approve of me wearing those, but my tennis shoes were heavy and soaked.

“Thanks,” I said smiling, “could you keep watch while I change?”

“We’re in the middle of nowhere,” Greg said laughing, “but I’ll walk around and stand on the other side of my car.”

“Thanks,” I said feeling my face get warm. Unlike before though, I smiled and shook off the feeling as I put Greg’s dry clothes on the top of the car and started to strip away my wet shorts. When I was naked in the field I turned and looked through the small pile of clean clothes and found that Greg had also loaned me a pair of his boxer briefs. I smirked thinking they had no chance fitting around my waist and ass, but when I slid them up my legs I looked down and smiled. They were snuggly fitting on my body and I noticed how nice my ass and crotch looked in them.

“Done yet?” He asked, and I jumped and grabbed the shorts and quickly slid them on.

“Yeah,” I answered and he walked back around the cars as I was sliding on his loose fitting tank top. The shorts were a light blue, which I liked and when everything fit he smiled.

“I’ll take the five bucks later when it’s dry,” he said pushing me on the shoulder. “It’s almost one in the morning so we better get in for the night though.”

“Fuck!” I hissed, “one!”

“Yeah,” he said, “the walk took a while.”

“Well you might not see me for the rest of the summer,” I responded, “I’ll be back working.”

“Well if that’s the case, nice knowing you,” he said shaking his head. He held out his hand and I shook it before he walked around my car and got in his. He started it right up and I watched as he backed out of the park and down the road towards the good side of town. After his lights disappeared around a curve I gathered up my wet clothes and popped the trunk. I placed them in my gym bag and when I was on my way home I dreaded walking through the front door this late at night.

When I arrived I saw that the living room light was still on and when I opened the unlocked door I saw Dad sitting on the couch in his boxers and a t-shirt. He looked up at me with a tight frown. His arms were crossed and his eyes darted to the chair then back to me. I knew that I had to sit and take my punishment so I sat my gym bag down in the floor beside the chair and I slid into it sitting as straight as possible.

“I’m glad you finally decided to get your ass home,” Dad said. “You worried your mother sick.”

“Sorry,” I apologized and he glared at me letting me know that I had no room to talk while in this living room tonight.

“If it was up to me your ass would be grounded to work all damn summer,” Dad fussed leaning closer to me. He was still intimidating, but as I got older I knew not to fear him. Though I still, didn’t like pushing him when he’s angry. I had learned the hard way when I felt his leather belt slap across the back of my legs. He stopped that discipline after I started middle school, and treated me with more respect. Now I just had to sit through his angry rants then make it up to him however he wanted. “Your mother on the other hand wants you to have the summer free still.”

“She does?” I asked and he nodded his head standing.

“But we agreed that you clean the garage tomorrow night as punishment for not callin us and telling us you’ll be late,” Dad said, “and where is your clothes?”

“In my bag,” I answered feeling relieved that Mom stepped in. It wouldn’t take long to clean the garage tomorrow night, but I still didn’t know what I would be doing tomorrow.

“Why?” He asked, “what kind of shit did you get into?”

“Nothing dad,” I answered, “Cj and Clinton thought they would be asses and pushed me into the river.”

“Did you kick their asses?” Dad asked, “I don’t see any bruises or busted lips.” I studied him and I saw that he was trying not to smile. He thought that I had took his approach and retaliated, but when I shook my head I saw him frown.

“Everyone was there and I didn’t want to make it worse,” I answered shrugging uneasily.

“You’re nothing like your old man,” he said. “I bet you messed up your phone and shit we got you.”

“Yeah,” I answered, “my watch and cell phone don’t work anymore.”

“I’m calling both their parents,” Dad said, “they’re going to pay for them.”

“No dad,” I countered, “that would be embarrassing.”

“Well you should’ve kicked their ass and made it even,” Dad hissed. “You just let them get away with it, they’ll always do it.”

“Honey are you telling our son to fight?” Mom said sleepily from the hallway. She was wearing her white robe and looked tired.

“They ruined his phone and watch,” Dad answered, “he should take up for himself so people will respect him.”

“If I heard correctly, I believe Corey has had enough go wrong in one night.” She said walking across the living room and rubbing her hand across my cheek. “Getting his pretty face messed up wouldn’t have solved anything.”

“You baby him too much,” Dad hissed throwing his hands in the air.

“I’ve raised a gentleman,” Mom countered, “now give me your dirty clothes and I’ll put them in the wash.”

“I can do that Mom, just go back to bed,” I said frowning. “I’ve already kept you guys up too late.”

“Don’t worry about us, we’ll survive it’s called raising a teenager,” Mom said kissing me on the cheek. “Take a shower you stink.”

“Yeah,” I offered, “goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” she said as she turned and walked to the entrance of the hall. She turned and looked over her shoulder at my Dad who hadn’t moved. He had wanted to continue the talk, but he gave in and followed her into their bedroom. When I heard their door close behind them I bent down and grabbed my bag. I walked into the bathroom and stripped. I turned the hot water on and stepped into the shower. I quickly washed the dirty river water out of my hair and washed my body thoroughly before stepping out and drying. After the shower I dressed in my sleeping clothes and put Greg’s clothes in with mine. I turned the washer on and decided tomorrow that I was going to try and return his clothes to him.

I hadn’t really expected to do much this summer, but now that I was free I was planning to make the most of it. Dad owned me next year through fall training then the season. I would be free from the sport I hated, finally. I would also be out from behind the shadow of my father. He had always been respected in the small town as a former football star. Now that he was the coach there was an expectation that he would bring a championship to our small school. I was the son that he wanted and now I was his chance. All my life I have conditioned for next year.

Tomorrow though I would have to do my time and clean the garage Mom took over, that was connected to the small store. I was also confused seeing Jen with Cj at the party after the talk we had before she left. We had promised to talk later today and now I was dreading seeing her. She wasn’t one of the people laughing when Clinton and Cj pushed me into the river, but I didn’t want to see any of them any time soon. It would be the talk of the new school year, but before that most of the town would know that Cj knocked the football star into the river.

Also, Dad would be making good on his embarrassing promise and would be calling their parents. It would be to teach me that I had to start defending myself and fight my own battles. I had never been tough enough for him. He liked to remind me of his high school years and how he made people respect him. So far I have been a disappointment to him. I was too much like Mom in his eyes. I looked nothing like him, I didn’t share his strong chin, or his piercing cold eyes. I had dark brown eyes and a smooth face that made me look younger than I was. It was my body that I was most proud of and one of the rare things Dad complimented me on.

Hearing the clothes get finished washing I stood and stretched then walked across the hall. I put the wet clothes into the dryer then started the machine and stood in the dark room leaned up against it. Being late, I still wasn’t feeling the fatigue from the loss of sleep. Usually I would be sleeping soundly and waiting for my alarm clock to ring in my ear, or if I forgot to set it, Dad yelling. I felt anxious about tomorrow and excited about talking to Greg again. I didn’t know if we had made a connection or if he was just hanging out with me because his friends dumped him. I also didn’t know how long he was in town for really, but I was in need of someone to do things with this summer. It would be a long summer if I had all the freedom for the first time and no one to share it with.

Copyright © 2014 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a good switch. The team quarterback is not the asshole. That honor belongs to CJ. Enjoying.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/02/2011 02:48 AM, Foster said:
This is a good switch. The team quarterback is not the asshole. That honor belongs to CJ. Enjoying.
Thank you. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Corey´s mum is really nice and caring, his dad, on the other hand, wants his son to fight, even if he´s outnumbered and probably could have been hurt badly. I don´t like him. I do like Greg, wonder what he´s up to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay, so his dad offers him beer, wants him to date ditzy girls, wants him to fight and criticizes his every move..... yup I do not like him! :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/24/2018 at 12:19 PM, Higster said:

His parents are almost opposite in the way they view things.

 

Yes, very much so. :) Opposites definitely attract (in their situation at least) lol. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..