Jump to content
    LemonPie
  • Author
  • 998 Words
  • 1,328 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Losing the Best of Us - 1. The Price: Prologue


As I stood by the slightly open door with the familiar hand-painted mural around it, a sudden feeling of unease swept through my body. My heart throbbed irregularly and my whole body was unresponsive. A few minutes passed until I let out a silent but deep breath.

So, in the end, it all had turned like this. I told myself.

It really wasn't my intention to eavesdrop their conversation. Was it fate or just bad luck? Either way, I realized I wouldn’t be able to forget in a while. I felt my heart shrinking, grasping for air every second. Damn! Couldn’t it hurt more?

After all, I had felt all along that there was something off between us. I never got past the point to befriend the ones I liked, except for this time. And maybe that's why it hurt more than the other times. And it wasn't his fault. But hearing those words coming out from his mouth made realize the little hope I had left, was now gone. And on top of all, I had troubled him. I indirectly made him do things he didn’t need to.

I looked down at the paper bag I held and thought about tossing it to the closest trashcan. I shook off the idea right away.Throwing it wouldn't make me feel better anyway.

I turned around and headed back to my room trying not to make a noise. I couldn’t let myself hear more of their conversation. Even so, I decided to leave my door wide open. They would probably notice that I had arrived if I had closed it. I just had to watch my moves until they left.

I leaned on the wall with my eyes closed. I could feel the warm sunlight on my face coming through my window like every afternoon. I stood there for a while looking for a calming effect. It never came.

After taking the contents out of the bag and placing them on my desk, I carefully pulled a chair and sat in front of them. Staring at them without apparent reason I began to reminisce. I found trivial the reason that drove me to buy two lemon pie slices that now rested inside those delicate pastry boxes.

It was laughable now.

I stood up and went straight to my bed. I dug my head into my pillow, which seemed to be the best place I could stop the overflowing thoughts threatening to crush my head. I felt like crying, but tears wouldn’t come out no matter what.

How convenient.

After a few minutes, I finally dozed off.

 

***

 

I woke up half past eleven. Looking at the date in the alarm clock, I realized the day hadn't ended yet. I tried to clear my throat, but I ended up coughing. Hell! I'm thirsty. I waited for my eyes to get accustomed to the darkness before getting something to drink.

Looking around, I noticed that my door was now closed. I suppose Sean was the one who closed it. Hopefully, he would have thought I was just tired and had gone to sleep without eating dinner, as it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Craving for some orange juice, I stood up walking toward the door. My hand rested on the handle as I hesitated opening the door. I didn't want to see anyone at the moment. Particularly not him.

After a few seconds, I gave up and opened the door. Fortunately, as I expected no one was there. His door was now closed and there was no light on. The whole place now looked distant, as if I wasn't meant to be there in the first place. I walked absent-mindedly into the kitchen and filled a glass of orange juice. I took a few sips before taking a little spoon with me, heading back to my room.

Once inside, I turned on the lights and locked the door without thinking. I decided to ignore Sean's made-up warning in my mind. It was a silly rule anyway. My back rested on the door while I stared at nothing in particular, deep in my thoughts. I finally decided to sit down by the desk to open one pastry box. After all, weren’t desserts supposed to cheer you up?

Somehow it had no effect on me. I wasn't sure anymore if it would from now on. I couldn’t even eat half of it. With a defeated look, I crawled back to my bed thinking about how painful and amusing the simple question was.

"What's your favorite dessert?”

I recalled every second of that moment. His innocent tone of voice. His mesmerizing eyes. His warm smile. How could I know that it would turn out like this?

What had I done wrong? Was it my naivety for not letting go? Did I misunderstand everything?

I felt empty as tears ran down my face.

A sudden knock on my door stopped me from crying. I stood up immediately wiping off my tears.

"Hey Zach, Can I come in?” Sean’s familiar voice asked at the other side of the door. “Have you eaten yet? I brought something.”

He had probably seen my lights on. And I knew he wouldn’t leave until I had answered him, so avoiding him wasn’t an option. It never was.

I smiled weakly.

Wasn’t he a worrywart? He had classes early in the morning, but here he was, standing outside my door wondering whether I was hungry or not. But, would we still be this close if he knew the truth?

I abandoned that depressing thought and decided to come up with an excuse, even if it was a rushed one. I put on my best smile, ready to answer him on the other side of the door. I didn’t want to make him worry about my problems. At least not this one. I would have to deal with it without Sean.

My friend Sean.

The clueless Sean.

 
Copyright © 2013 LemonPie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If you were hoping to leave the reader wondering what's going on for Zack, well you did exactly that. The hook is in but it will take chapter 1 for me to bite down. I suppose I'm also interested in how clueless Sean is.

Looking forward to more. thumbsup.gif

Link to comment

Well, you got my attention. Now you will have to really get to work because I am very impatient.:P good job

Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 07:44 AM, joann414 said:
Well, you got my attention. Now you will have to really get to work because I am very impatient.:P good job
Thanks a lot :)! The first few chapters will be -boring- as they will set the 'environment'. I hope it wont disappoint you in the long term.
Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 04:56 AM, Conner said:
If you were hoping to leave the reader wondering what's going on for Zack, well you did exactly that. The hook is in but it will take chapter 1 for me to bite down. I suppose I'm also interested in how clueless Sean is.

Looking forward to more. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your review! It seems like it will get -boring- in the first few chapters. I hope they don't let you down to stop reading it.
Link to comment

A nice opening, you have a lovely writing style that caught my interest.

-But then, I do like pies, so I'm biased.

Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 11:36 PM, Stephen said:
A nice opening, you have a lovely writing style that caught my interest.

-But then, I do like pies, so I'm biased.

:lol: Thanks a lot!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..