Jump to content
    LemonPie
  • Author
  • 3,566 Words
  • 926 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Losing the Best of Us - 3. Divine Intervention

Chapter 2

 

Divine Intervention

 

 

“Thanks for your time. We’ll be going then,” I said with a smile trying to focus on her face.

“Oh! I almost forgot. Here’s my card.” I hesitated for a moment before taking it.

“Thanks again,” I answered before leaving the room. Her strong perfume, her squeaky and fake voice, her face plastered with make-up to cover the traces of multiple surgery interventions; everything about her screamed fake. She was someone I couldn’t trust. She was the epitome of a desperate woman unhappy in her job.

I rushed away with Caroline at my side. She tagged along to check the apartments out, but I saw her attention had drifted somewhere else.

“It’s kind of big, huh?” I complained, keeping those thoughts to myself. She suddenly stopped and looked me in the eye.

Did she notice the same things?

“Don’t you agree? Those boobs can’t be real. I mean they were like soccer balls compared to mine!” she looked down at her own.

Apparently not.

“I wasn’t talking about the real estate agent,” I frowned, disgusted.

“Oh, then what were you talking about?” she asked.

“The apartment, remember? We’re checking the apartments out.”

“Of course! Apartments,” she crossed her arms caressing her chest in a subtle way.

“Considering a boob job?” I scowled.

“Hell no!” she said, rummaging inside her white purse. She pulled something out.

“Want to grab a bite? It’s Wednesday and - I have some nice coupons for pizza!” she winked. I was relieved she was back to her old self.

“I can’t. At this rate I’ll have to stay at home and the “next step on the road to independence” would mean nothing. Not a bad thing, but it means less hours of sleep to get to the new campus. Why do we need to transfer there anyway? It’s more comfortable at the current campus,” I sighed.

“Oww, come on! We’re on vacation, remember? Don’t think about university yet. The coupons expire on Sunday.” she ranted.

“I can crash at your place this weekend. We can go together then.”

“That sounds better. We can finally try the game my brother lent me. I will beat you.” Her eyes shone with excitement.

“Like every single time?” I rolled my eyes. I wasn’t a game addict like her.

“Come on! You might win this time,” she smirked. The bus stopped, the doors opened and we hopped in.

“Back to the main topic, I actually liked the first apartment. The neighborhood was so cool. Did you see the graffiti?” She pointed out. Maybe she had mental issues or worse eyesight than me.

“It was everything but friendly. I could get mugged everyday there.”

“Come on! Those guys looked harmless!”

Harmless? If you ignored the dirty looks and bladed weapons concealed on their pants, they were harmless.

“Besides, it was better than the others. The second and third were in a really bad condition and the last one was just as big as the real estate agent’s boobs.”

“So how were your grades? Did you fail something?”

“I didn’t fail anything fortunately. Got eighty-five on Ancient Greek Art History, not bad huh?”

“So how was yours? Did you have fun avoiding the hot duo?”

“Yeah. I mean no. I didn’t have fun at all. I was lucky I didn’t run into them. It would have been hell. ”

“Oh please! You don’t even know them. Gerard is so nice and reliable. He helped me out a lot in those boring assignments. I haven’t talked to Sean much, but I bet he is as perfect as Gerard is.”

“You didn’t tell them to get lost,” I looked away in embarrassment. She burst out laughing and I reminded myself not to mention it again in front of her.

 

***

 

Friday was finally here.

I walked to the watermelon colored house and knocked on the wooden door. I crossed my arms under my coat to keep my hands warm. After a few minutes, I heard footsteps rushing to the door.

“Oh! Who do we have here? Is that you, my prodigal son?” Matty asked as he opened the door slightly.

“It’s freaking cold outside, you know?” I glared at him.

“Mom! There’s a hobo glaring at me!” he said, facing inside. He turned his back on me with a wide grin on his face.

“What’s the secret passw… Ouch! Mom!” He whined after a gentle slap.

Instant karma at your service.

The owner of a charming pair of honey colored eyes opened the door.

“Forgive my dumb son, Zachary. Come in, please.”

I made my way inside the warm building. Matty pouted childishly.

“Thanks, Mrs. Campbell. May I say you look more beautiful since the last time I visited?” I said.

“Thank you Zachary,” she giggled.

“How bold! Trying to find favor with my mother? Can’t you see her wrinkles?” he asked in a theatrical voice. His mother slapped him again on the back of his head.

“I’ll file a claim for physical damage with the authorities. I can’t tolerate this kind of behavior,” he grumbled. An angelic smile crossed his mother’s face.

“How can I not do this to you, my dear son, when those painful words that make my heart shrink come from the mouth I have fed for twenty two years?” Mrs. Campbell said, getting into the dramatic mood. I was amused by this development.

“Oh, mother! I know I’ve done wrong. I beg for your pardon, but we must drop this act before I get consumed by…” A dramatic pause.

“Consumed by what, Matthew?” his mom asked with a pleading tone.

“The slight smell of burnt food, mom.” Matty answered seriously.

Mrs. Campbell rushed into the kitchen blaming her son’s dramatic act.

“Here, give me your bag. You better hurry! Caroline’s been playing all day. Weren’t you supposed to try it together?” He asked as he grabbed my heavy bag and carried it upstairs as if it were a light pillow.

“Well, by ‘together’ she means herself.”

“So, how have you been, Matty? Ready to work overseas?” I asked.

“Sort of. Why? Missing me already?”

“You wish. Anyway, is that game easy to play? I don’t want Caroline to humiliate me.”

“You’ll find out soon. By the way, which side of my bed do you want to sleep on?” He winked at me.

“The guest room bed, please,” I answered.

It’s not that I hadn’t thought about it before. Matty was my first crush, but fortunately those feelings were long gone and ours had turned into a platonic friendship. Even so, he has never missed a chance to tease me.

“Playing hard to get, huh? That’s sexy,” he growled and blocked my way to his sister’s room. His eyes were challenging.

So you want to play. Let’s play then.

“Well, if it’s you…” I drew a line with my finger from his chest to his navel.

“Just come in!” he coughed, stepping aside. I chuckled at how easy it was to get rid of him.

”You win this time, queer.”

“You should try harder next time, homophobe.”

“Having fun with my older brother?” Caroline smirked while pressing some buttons.

“I would, if he wasn’t straight. You seem to be having fun without me though!” I rushed in to tickle her. Within minutes she slipped away beyond my reach.

“Did you bring your laptop, snacks and drinks?”

“It wouldn’t be a decent sleepover without them right?” I chuckled and took hold of the other game controller.

***

“Aren’t we going to the third apartment?” Matty asked anxiously.

“No way in hell! Besides, we need to meet Caroline in twenty minutes.”

“Hmph! Party-pooper,” he mumbled looking at his watch. “I have to admit it was fun today. Especially the last dude.”

I kicked his ankle and sprinted toward the bus stop.

It was Saturday afternoon and we had been checking the apartments out. He agreed to give a second opinion and he really did. Too blunt to my dismay. On the second apartment, I heard the endless foot-tapping coming from the real estate agent as Matty argued with him about the brightness in the restroom. I smiled apologetically and dragged him away before the man lost his temper and chopped our heads off with a venomous glare.

Hopefully, spending a nice evening together with Caroline wouldn’t cause more problems. We took a bus to the mall and waited for her. I sent her a text telling her we were already outside the pizzeria.

She replied:[Do you guys mind if I bring some friends? I just met them outside the mall and they’re up for pizza too.]

I hesitated. It’s not like I suffered from a kind of anti-social behavior. I was just more comfortable with people I trusted. That clearly didn’t make me anti-social. Or so I thought.

As it was pizza, I gave it a go. Pizza never made things awkward, and even if the situation turned out awkward it would be fine as I had Matty to talk with, right?

I texted: [Sure. Just hurry up.]

After a few minutes, we saw the red haired girl with two dazzling girls beside her. I sighed with relief and told myself that this evening would pass smoothly. I recognized Emma and Leah right away. If I didn’t know that they were actually just regular university students, I could have sworn that the three of them were professional models working for major brands.

I greeted Emma and Leah with a kiss on their cheeks and Matty introduced himself using his usual flirting techniques he had learned over his twenty-two years. Inside the pizzeria I sat between Caroline and an empty seat while Matty –the traitor– sat between Emma and Leah to continue his sweet talk, making the girls blush. Caroline gave him a warning look and as they spoke, I joined the conversation regularly so it wouldn’t turn awkward.

“I’m glad Caroline invited you ladies to hang out with us on this lovely evening.” Matty said as he took a slice of garlic bread.

“Emma and I were actually waiting for a friend and when we ran into Caroline, she suggested going for a pizza together to help her use up all her coupons.” Leah explained

Don’t get paranoid, Zach. It was just your imagination.

“I already texted him to come. I wonder what’s taking him so long to get here.” Emma said.

“Oh, there he is!” Leah said, pointing at him.

“He?!” Matty choked on his bread while I laughed. My laughter didn’t last long.

I had the right to get paranoid. I turned my head even though I already suspected who it was. I didn’t know if my heart stopped or if my body was paralyzed, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him.

Gerard Kovacs.

He sat on the available seat beside me and greeted us all. I managed to nod when he greeted; which I bet he didn’t even notice. I darted my eyes at Caroline and she returned an innocent, ‘What? I don’t know a thing’ look. I quickly stared at my empty dish trying not to look up.

Would I survive this evening?

 

***
 

A pair of sea-colored eyes fixed on me didn’t let me use my basic skills to eat properly. I could feel my right ear blush furiously as I bit my pepperoni pizza slice.

HOT! I groaned, but swallowed it anyways.

I heard a slight chuckle coming from the owner of those pair of eyes that sat beside me. It was the third time I burnt my tongue while eating. I was so nervous and the only thing I could do, so I wouldn’t end up staring at the Adonis beside me, was put all my concentration on the pizza slice. And I was failing.

The rest of them were having a good time chatting and Gerard joined the conversation regularly. But when he wasn’t, I could feel his eyes fixed on me. Or maybe I was just too paranoid. But still the single thought of him looking at me made me even more nervous.

Maybe if I snuck away carefully, my head would still be attached to my body by tonight.

“So,” a deep voice said before clearing up his throat, “are you OK?” Gerard asked.

“Huh?” I looked up and around unsure if he was talking to me. Aside from us, everyone seemed to be really into an interesting conversation. I looked at him and stared at those perfect eyes. I quickly looked away realizing I had stared for too long.

“What do you mean?” I blurted out.

“Uhm, you know. About the last time. We accidentally…And then you…“ He left the sentences unfinished as he tried to find the correct words.

I glanced at him and he looked embarrassed. Maybe Caroline was right. He didn’t seem the kind of guy that would bully and make fun of others. He probably was a nice person and I liked him. Like him? I shook off that random idea.

“Oh, that. It was nothing, don’t worry. I mean, it was like–” My words seemed to crash against each other. I cleared my head for a second and answered.

“I was just a bit… stressed. I didn’t mean anything I said.” I glanced at him to see his reaction.

“Thank God. So are we cool now?” he smiled warmly, searching my eyes.

What? That was it? No ripping my head off or using me as a sandbag?

“Yeah,” I replied too loud and nodded before he could change his mind. I looked away as I felt I would blush in no time if I kept staring at him.

“Oh! By the way, I’m Gerard.” He held out his hand.

I already knew that, but I couldn’t say it right? I would instantly get labeled as a stalker. I stared at his hand and noticed how stupid and rude I was for not replying.

“Sorry, I’m Zachary.” I shook his big and warm hand and felt an overwhelming calm feeling. Damn, that strong hand was really something. I wonder how it would feel around my waist and…God. I stopped myself from thinking bullshit and focused on my pizza slice. We may be ‘cool’ now, but that didn’t mean that we would be friends.

Just acquaintances. Nothing else. I reassured myself.

After a few minutes, Caroline and I talked about the apartments Matty and I had seen earlier. It wasn’t long until everyone else joined the conversation and offered to help me out in any way they could. I thanked them as our groups split when we left the pizzeria.

It hadn’t been a bad evening at all.

Once back at the siblings’ place we played on Matty’s PS3 until we ran out of chips and drinks. Caroline dozed off in the middle of a mission, and we headed to our rooms. After changing into pajamas I heard a knock on the door. I opened up only to see a grinning Matty. I sighed and let him come in.

“So that Gerard guy…you were staring at him a lot, you know,” he said.

“Shut up. I didn’t.” I looked away while blushing. “Was it obvious?”

“Are you kidding me? You needed a bowl to hold all your drool while looking at him.” he joked while lying on my bed.

“I’m not having this pointless conversation with you.” I threw a pillow at him, but missed. He snickered as I gave him the middle finger. I pushed him off the bed and slipped through the covers.

“Meh! You’re no fun at all!” he pouted as he walked back to the door. “Night, babe,” he teased before turning the lights off. He never knew when to give up.

“Hey, don’t lock your door, I’ll crawl up later. You still sleep just in your undies, right? Yummy.” I teased.

My door closed immediately.

Scaredy-cat.

A smile was drawn over my face when I remembered shaking hands with Gerard, his strong but tender voice, alluring eyes, and sweet smell. Even if we would be nothing more than just acquaintances, I could still fantasize about him, right?

That night, I dreamed about Gerard. I couldn’t remember anything consistent at all, but I guess it was way too good as I woke up with a hard on. I had just met him and I was already having wild dreams about him. I slapped myself on the face.

Dangerous.

 

***


I didn’t have any luck at all with the apartments. The girls hadn’t found anything worthwhile in their areas and I was ready to give up looking. I hadn’t heard at all about Gerard. Not that I really cared.

Maybe I did.

Just a little.

Matty tackled me while we played because I apparently stopped moving my character. He considered that it was more gratifying to watch me lose when I put all my useless efforts trying to win, than staring at the screen looking dumbfounded and lost in my thoughts.

“You know, if you don’t beat me at least once, you’ll have to start paying for being a loser.” He said seriously.

“You’re such a jerk,” I accused, pressing buttons to dodge his attacks.

“I bet that’s the reason why you’ll have to go overseas. How many girls have you dated recently?” I taunted.

“Hmph. You’re one to talk. At least I’ve dated before,” he said triumphantly. I gave him a cold look and then smiled weakly.

“I didn’t mean to…” He stuttered.

“Bah! It’s okay. You’re still a jerk though,” I grinned.

He was right. I hadn’t even been kissed before. What did I know about love? I wondered how it would feel to have someone’s lips on mine. Gerard’s face popped into my thoughts to solve that doubt.

I stood up abruptly when I felt a buzz in my pocket. I looked at its screen with an unknown number tilting.

“Hello? Who is it?”

“Hey there,” the manly voice answered. “It’s me, Gerard.”

“Ge..Gerard!” I muttered.

How did he get my number?

“Haha, yeah. The one from the pizzeria, remember?”

As if I could forget! I had been thinking about him every day. I glanced at Matty who seemed amused to see me nervous.

“Uhm, hello? Are you still there? Should I call later?”

“Uhm… it’s ok.” I hyperventilated.

I walked impatiently around the room and stopped when Matty got up with a dirty grin.

Oh God. No. No. No. He wouldn’t dare to do something stupid, would he?

My hopes went down after he opened his damned mouth.

“Coming to bed, babe? I can’t hold it anymore!” Matty yelled with a perverted old man voice. I stood speechless, horror all over my face. He did it. He FREAKING did it! Before he could spout more nonsense I ran downstairs and locked myself in the bathroom.

“Hello again.” I greeted. “Did you…by any chance…hear something…weird?” I asked, trying to sound coherent.

“I…don’t think so,” he answered trying to hide his laughter.

“Did I interrupt something?”

“Oh no no no! That was my… neighbor.” I lied. I pictured myself strangling Matty slowly and painfully later that night.

“He calls his wife from time to time. They’re like bunnies.” I realized it was way too much information for a simple lie. I groaned inside.

“I see. I presume that’s one of the reasons why you want to move out as soon as possible?” he asked in a playful tone. I swear I could spend hours on my cellphone just hearing his voice. It was mesmerizing.

“Uhm…yes. May I ask why did you call?” I said to change the awkward topic.

“Right! I called because I think I found a nice place for you. I talked to a good friend and he mentioned that there was a free room in his flat. I thought about you…,” he paused briefly. “I mean, I remembered you said something about looking for an apartment so I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea if you got a big room instead. Unless you would rather have a whole apartment on your own. If you’re interested, I could give you his address.”

I was speechless. Was this some kind of joke? Or maybe divine intervention?

“Thanks, I guess. I mean…thanks. For real. I’m interested. In the room. Yes.” I stuttered. Part of my brain had decided to stop thinking coherently at this point.

“Thanks.” I repeated like an idiotic robot.

“You’re welcome,” he laughed.

“Do you mind if you text me the address? I don’t have a pen or paper right now.” I asked as I looked at the toilet paper roll. Not a good option.

“Sure,” he said warmly.

“By the way, my number is ...” I trailed off, unable to remember it.

“I know. Caroline gave me your number and that’s how I’m calling you right now. Are you sure everything is okay?” he chuckled.

Oh great, now he probably thinks I’m retarded.

“You’re right. I…have to go now.” I said. I would have stayed there all day just to hear his voice, but I felt I would screw everything up if the conversation continued.

“Oh, ok. See you soon.”

“Yeah, see you soon.” I said, and hung up. I leaned against the wall and repeated the whole conversation in my head.

Strangling Matty could wait.

As you may have noticed, I have tried really hard to draw something decent.
*Sigh*
If you would like to stop the bleeding in your eyes, help me get an artist or someone who can draw. The faster I get one, the more you will enjoy the following chapters.
Thanks for reading! I hope the story is progressing to your liking. Let me know in the reviews section ;D.

**Special thanks to Louis. That imaginary slice of pizza is for you.
Copyright © 2013 LemonPie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can't wait for the move into the apartment. Mattie is hilarious. He is like one of you best friends that you would like to strangle reguarly. Gerard does not seem like such a bad guy. :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 02/20/2013 07:08 AM, joann414 said:
I can't wait for the move into the apartment. Mattie is hilarious. He is like one of you best friends that you would like to strangle reguarly. Gerard does not seem like such a bad guy. :thumbup:
Thanks for the review! :hug:

I wonder if things will keep going that smoothly ;)

Link to comment

I just love the humour. It seems to come naturally to you and this is what caught my attention from the get go. I hope to see more of Gerard, and by the looks of things, I think he's in for the long haul. Although one can't be too sure of that. I love the way in which you make everything seem so normal and yet quite exciting too for instance when everyone helps to look for an apartment...i think a lot of people use their friends to help out. All in all, superb.

Link to comment
On 02/20/2013 07:38 AM, LJH said:
I just love the humour. It seems to come naturally to you and this is what caught my attention from the get go. I hope to see more of Gerard, and by the looks of things, I think he's in for the long haul. Although one can't be too sure of that. I love the way in which you make everything seem so normal and yet quite exciting too for instance when everyone helps to look for an apartment...i think a lot of people use their friends to help out. All in all, superb.
Thanks Louis :hug: !

I hope you enjoyed your slice of pizza :P

Link to comment

I liked the pizza/chapter title graphic. :D. You got some swell characters and a lot of humor and the story charms the reader.

Link to comment
On 02/28/2013 02:57 AM, Foster said:
I liked the pizza/chapter title graphic. :D. You got some swell characters and a lot of humor and the story charms the reader.
Thanks ^_^ ! I hope I can come up with better graphics soon :lol:
Link to comment

Zack has a quick wit around Mattie and Caroline, it's a shame he's so shy with

Gerard. I like the banter between him and Mattie, -it makes me like Zack, and know

that he's not all just a bundle of nervousness and insecurities. I want to see more

of that come out in his character.

Link to comment
On 03/01/2013 02:29 AM, Stephen said:
Zack has a quick wit around Mattie and Caroline, it's a shame he's so shy with

Gerard. I like the banter between him and Mattie, -it makes me like Zack, and know

that he's not all just a bundle of nervousness and insecurities. I want to see more

of that come out in his character.

Thanks Stephen :hug:

I'm glad you like Zach. Expect a surprise next chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..