Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,429 Words
  • 5,386 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Healing Heart - 7. Chapter 7

7

Dimitri fingered his cell phone in his pocket, fighting the urge to call Talin again. He wrapped his fingers around the black gadget in his pocket, his gaze on the dark water ahead. He let out a soft breath and forced his fingers to let go of the cell phone.

The lake was dark, the Anastasia silent, Dimitri stood at the helm waiting for movement from the other two boats they were expecting tonight. The waiting was always the most dangerous time.

His thoughts wandered to Talin. Dimitri had wanted to kiss Talin before coming out on this little excursion. He’d wanted a taste of the normal life Talin represented in his head.

Normal, he frowned.

He didn’t remember what normal meant. Perhaps normal defined what an individual saw everyday. For him, constant danger, deceit and death were normal, for Talin, hours spent taking care of his club would be normal. He’d loved watching Talin work at his desk this morning, loved sitting in Talin’s living room watching the news. Dimitri wanted to share Talin’s normal days. He just didn’t know if Talin would want to share his.

“Thinking about Talin?” Lucian asked beside him.

Dimitri slammed the door closed on his thoughts, his shoulders tensing at the sound of Lucian’s voice. They’d left the dock together. Lucian was on the Anastasia to ensure the cargo exchange went smoothly. Lucian’s presence made him edgy; it made Tomas and Sean wary.

“We’re not discussing Talin.”

“He’s broken.” Lucian sounded too certain. “I wonder if you know that.”

“It’s creepy the way you watch us.”

“I’m letting you know that he’s going to need your honest side, Dimitri.”

Dimitri scowled, his fingers curling into tight fists. He could swear he heard a smile in Lucian’s tone.

“You don’t know anything about Talin,” Dimitri said.

Swallowing down his anger, Dimitri refused to allow Lucian to upset him. He hated the thought of Lucian knowing about Talin, his gaze narrowed…no, he hated the thought of Lucian knowing more than he did about Talin.

“You’d be surprised,” Lucian said as a flash of light cut through the dark.

Dimitri started the engines.

“Concentrate on the job,” Dimitri said. “Leave my personal life alone.”

Lucian chuckled under his breath and moved to the navigational table.

“You’re right, Sedlackov. It’s not my business.”

Dimitri glanced at Lucian’s back as he bent over the maps they’d worked on earlier. Annoyed by Lucian’s knowing comments, he increased the speed and wished this night would end faster.

***

Ten minutes later, Lucian was busy talking to the owners of the other boats while Dimitri, Sean and Tomas arranged four long crates on the deck of the Anastasia. The wooden crates were heavy, a tad too large compared to the others they’d carted before. Sean gave him a questioning look, when they noticed the lock on the last crate had fallen off.

Dimitri glanced back to where Lucian was still talking to the captain on the other boat. He turned to find Sean had lifted the lid on the crate slightly. They both suppressed gasps at the fine wood coffin inside the crate.

Tomas cleared his throat and Sean closed the crate.

“What do you think is in there?” Sean asked touching Dimitri’s left arm.

Dimitri shrugged, aware of Lucian returning to the Anastasia.

“We’ll check later.” Dimitri promised as Lucian boarded their boat.

“We head back to shore,” Lucian ordered. “We need to move fast, the other captain says the coast guard is close tonight.”

Sean hurried to the helm turning the Anastasia toward the marina. The ride back was quick, it always was, Dimitri thought, his gaze on the four crates in the middle of the deck.

Did they all have coffins? What was Vlad up to now?

Lucian was on his phone, calling Vlad to inform her of their progress.

Dimitri gripped the railing on his father’s boat and fought the anxiety building inside him. He couldn’t believe he could still feel anxious after all these years.

Sean docked at the old warehouse again. They used a lift to get the crates off the boat and into two black vans. Lucian and Sean would drive the first one. Dimitri and Tomas would follow Lucian’s van.

Once the vans were loaded, Lucian tossed keys to Dimitri.

“Don’t get curious, Sedlackov,” Lucian warned. “Those crates have precious cargo. Think of your family.”

“I do, everyday,” Dimitri said, as he got into the driver’s side in the second van.

Once they were in traffic, Dimitri allowed two cars to fill the space between him and Lucian’s van.

Tomas jumped into the back of the van. They’d made sure to place the open crate in their van.

“My God, it really is a casket,” Tomas said in shock. “I’d hoped we were wrong.”

“Can you open it?” Dimitri asked his gaze on the black van ahead.

“Just a second,” Tomas said.

Dimitri glanced back using the rear view mirror. Tomas was searching the seams of the casket with his fingers. A few minutes later, he found a catch, and the casket door hissed open.

Tomas gave a harsh gasp, losing his balance.

Dimitri fought the urge to stop the van. He couldn’t, not with Lucian ahead of him. They were to keep moving until they reached their destination.

“Tomas,” Dimitri said his tone sharp. “You need to tell me what you see.”

“Boss,” Tomas took in a deep breath.

“Tell me,” Dimitri snapped.

“It’s—,” Tomas broke off, “Well, boss, there is a woman here.”

“Is she dead?” Dimitri asked, tightening his grip on the steering wheel.

“I don’t know. Fuck, she looks like she’s sleeping.”

Dimitri frowned. “Is she alive?”

“Yes,” Tomas said after a moment. He knelt on the van floor and got his phone to take pictures. “Her pulse is very low. She has one of those hospital gowns. She’s young, probably early twenties, no marks on her skin that I can see.”

“She could be carrying drugs,” Dimitri said.

“Probably,” Tomas said.

Dimitri cursed under his breath when they reached a stop light and the two cars separating him from Lucian’s van turned into one.

“Close the casket, move to the front,” Dimitri said. “Lucian is watching us.”

Tomas was quick. He was back in the passenger seat, before they got too close to Lucian’s van.

“Do you think the other crates have caskets too?” Tomas asked as the lights changed.

Dimitri didn’t doubt it.

Lucian turned left onto the warehouse street. Minutes later, they pulled into the parking lot of a well-maintained black warehouse. The loading-zone door opened, and Dimitri drove in after Lucian into a lighted empty warehouse.

As the warehouse doors closed, a dozen men emerged from an office in the corner of the large room; one of the men wore green scrubs.

A surgeon, Dimitri thought.

The warehouse was a front; there had to be an underground facility. The lighting was different, definitely not the location they'd used for him to meet Vlad.

Lucian jumped out of his van, leaving Sean to open the back for the men approaching them. Dimitri gave Tomas a warning glance as they too got out.

“This crate is open,” one of the men said as the crates were pulled out of their van.

Dimitri forced his body to remain relaxed. He met Lucian’s gaze, and was surprised to find a knowing smile there.

“Yes, I’m aware,” Lucian said to his men. “The captain says it was received that way from the original sender. We’ll handle that later.”

The men arranged the crates neatly on the warehouse floor. With quick precision, they opened the rest of the crates to reveal four identical caskets. Lucian moved from one coffin to the next, supervising as the men opened the caskets. There were four women in the caskets, all in their early twenties.

The doctor knelt next to the first casket, producing a syringe from his pocket that he injected into the red-haired woman. A moment later, her body convulsed and two of the men picked her up by the legs and arms. They carried her toward the office at the end.

Dimitri glanced at Lucian, as the doctor moved to the rest of the women. The warehouse was locked down, four men standing at random intervals with automatic weapons. Glancing at Sean and Tomas, Dimitri fought the urge to fight for the women convulsing after a mysterious injection from the doctor. His right hand touched the handle of the gun he’d slipped into his waistband.

Getting the women out would take a fight, but if he fought hard, he’d get the women to safety…disgust build as he watched the third woman carried into the warehouse office.

“Dimitri,” Lucian said his tone full of warning. “We’re finished here. Your car is outside. I had my men bring it earlier.”

Dimitri caught the keys Lucian tossed at him.

“What’s next?” he asked, his gaze on the last woman being carried out of her casket.

“I’ll contact you,” Lucian said as he followed the men to the warehouse office. “Try and get some rest—

A scream cut off Lucian’s words, the sound of it so chilling it froze Dimitri’s blood. The last woman was struggling in the arms of her captors. She screamed as she kicked and flailed, struggling to be free.

Dimitri removed his gun, and started to move toward her, intent on helping her. Sean and Tomas grabbed his arms. Before he could protest their interference, Lucian pulled out his gun and shot a bullet into the woman’s head, silencing her struggle.

The two men carrying her continued their journey as though nothing had happened.

Dimitri froze.

“We need to go,” Sean said pushing him toward the exit. “Boss, the car is outside, we need to get back.”

Lucian glanced at Dimitri, shook his head and continued into the warehouse office. It took all Dimitri had not to run after Lucian, not to go in there after those women…instead he allowed Sean and Tomas to drag him outside into the cold air.

He took deep breaths as the warehouse doors closed behind them.

Sean took the keys from him, and went to get the car.

“There’s nothing you could have done,” Tomas said.

“It’s no excuse,” Dimitri said, taking in gulps of air. “We’re becoming like them.”

“There’s nothing you could have done,” Tomas repeated as Sean brought the car to them. “You need to get home, take a shower, spend time with Lukas and Kat,” Tomas paused, “or maybe with Talin—,”

“No,” Dimitri shook his head horrified at the thought of going to Talin, not now, not like this. He stared at the gun in his hand. He hadn’t even used it. “Not Talin’s, we need to get back to the marina.”

Sean stopped the car, and Dimitri got into the front passenger seat, Tomas in the back.

“I’m thinking organ harvesting,” Sean said, as he drove out of the warehouse. “The four women were the same age, very…preserved. The presence of the doctor means someone wants them handled with care.”

“We are getting in too deep,” Tomas noted. “Lucian had no problem killing that last woman before us.”

“We’ve been in deep the moment we started carting fake money into shore, Tomas,” Sean said with a bitter chuckle. “Dim, this is going to get worse; you can’t lose it like that.”

“Those women are innocents,” Dimitri said tightly. “That last one, she was alert, we could have saved her. We should have done something.”

“What? What could we have done?” Sean asked as he stopped at a light. “They were dead the moment they were placed in those caskets. You have family to think about, Dim. There’s Kat, Lukas, and now Talin.”

Dimitri ran fingers through his hair. That woman’s scream rang in his head, so loud, so desperate…he closed his eyes.

Jesus, when was it going to end?

“It’s only two o’clock in the morning, I’ll drive you to the Talon,” Sean said.

“No,” Dimitri shook his head. “There is work to do at the marina.”

***

Dimitri punched into the sandbag mounted on the basement ceiling harder, hoping to obliterate the scream ringing in his head. That horrible scream that wouldn’t leave him alone…he punched harder into the bag.

It was six o’clock, on Friday morning. He’d gotten no sleep, again. Each punch into the heavy bag was a distraction from getting into his car and driving to see Talin.

Dimitri felt sweat drip down his brow. He ignored it, kept punching.

“It’s dead now,” Lukas said behind him. “You’re going to rip the bag off its hold.”

Dimitri gritted his teeth, powered through four more sets, and let out a harsh breath at the impact of the last punch.

Lukas came around to steady the punching bag. Dimitri met his brother’s concerned gaze.

“Is it getting that bad?” Lukas asked.

Bad was nice compared to the person he was becoming. He was now this monster…this…he didn’t have words to describe it.

“Here,” Lukas held out his water bottle.

Removing his right glove, Dimitri took the bottle, tipping the bottle to draw in much needed water. He moved to sit on a bench by the wall, and wasn’t surprised when Lukas came to sit beside him. Lukas took his left hand, removed the glove and got started rolling off the black bandages he used to protect his hands.

“You know, I hate boxing,” Lukas said. “I used to wish you’d stop doing it so that we can play basketball. I envied the fact that dad used to come down here with you for hours. He didn’t like basketball much, but he loved boxing.”

Dimitri gave his right hand to his little brother when Lukas finished with his left.

“Why did you ask me to teach you boxing then?”

“Because it was the only sport you’d let me do with you,” Lukas said with a chuckle.

“Lukas,” Dimitri said with a sigh.

“It’s alright,” Lukas glanced at him.

“I had fun.” Lukas smiled. “It allowed me to get to know you.”

Dimitri ruffled his brother’s hair.

“What’s with this story?”

“I’m telling you the story because your boxing habits are also the only real way to tell your true feelings. I know you come down here when things are bad or good. Judging from the dark shadows under your eyes, I’m guessing that things are bad. So, talk to me, I’m here.”

“I’m handling it,” Dimitri said sipping his water. He looked away from his brother. “I—

Lukas touched his sweaty shoulder.

“We’re protecting the family together, Dimitri. If you don’t tell me what’s going on, I’ll go look for Tomas or Sean. Do you know two days of your dark mood is enough motivation to get them talking to me?”

Dimitri winced at the thought of Lukas knowing about the women he’d failed.

“Lukas, its better that only one of us gets dirty dealing with the Brotherhood, besides, Sean and Tomas know not to tell you anything. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“Lucian Pajari watches Kat’s restaurant every night, he walks around our marina as if he owns it, and you dare tell me there’s nothing to worry about. I’m not a child, Dimitri. I deserve to know. I understand you’re taking risks—,”

“You understand nothing,” Dimitri said getting up from the bench.

The woman Lucian had killed filled his thoughts.

Dimitri ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

“Trust me, Lukas, its better this way. I’m protecting you and Kat.”

Lukas got up too.

“You’ve always been a stubborn bastard.”

“Don’t forget it,” Dimitri said heading to the stairs leading up to the main floor of the house. “I’m going to get a shower, and then I’ll be at the workshop all day today.”

“Dimitri,” Lukas called after him.

Dimitri paused long enough to look at his brother.

“You’re not alone in this,” Lukas said.

Dimitri gave his brother a short nod, and then hurried up the last two steps.

Lukas was wrong.

He’d never felt as lonely as he did now.

***

“Where do you think he is?”

Talin wiped down his coffee table, arranging magazines and piling them at the corner of the table. Grabbing the three coffee mugs he’d left there the past two days, he carried the rose plant into the kitchen.

“He could at least return one phone call.”

Placing the plant on the kitchen table, Talin went to the sink and cleaned out the dishes that had accumulated. Cereal bowls, plates, mugs, and a pot he’d used to make oatmeal porridge. Rinsing the dishes, he placed them on the rack. Grabbing a dishcloth, Talin leaned on the counter and stared at the potted plant on his kitchen table.

“Maybe I should call him again. What do you think?” Talin asked the rose plant.

He wiped his hands on the dishcloth.

“No, what I should do is call St. Mary’s psych ward, and admit myself for expecting an answer from you. I’m getting certifiable.”

Pushing off the counter, Talin turned back to the dishes with a shake of his head. He had waited for Dimitri two nights, sitting in the armchair in his bedroom looking out the window like a love-struck teenager.

Putting away the dishes, Talin tried not to feel hurt, even rejected.

Dimitri was busy. He had the marina to handle. Maybe he’d been too tired after fixing all those boat engines, and moving crates in their storage warehouses, hell Dimitri might have decided to overhaul his car engine.

Hanging the dishcloth on its handle, his gaze returned to the rose plant.

All right, maybe he was going a tad crazy thinking about what Dimitri was doing.

Talin wiped his hands on his pajama pants. He left the plant on the kitchen table and went to the living room. Getting his cell phone from his desk, he dialed Dimitri’s number again. Pushing his fingers through his hair, he paced to his bedroom, staring at the neat bed.

The call rang unanswered.

Talin stared at his phone.

The man wasn’t answering his calls. Maybe, Dimitri’s phone had fallen in the lake. The poor man was probably working out there on engines, without a cell phone.

Yep, that explained why Dimitri hadn’t gotten any of Talin’s missed calls.

Talin almost jumped when his cell phone buzzed in his hand. Disappointment flooded him when he saw Lori’s smiling face.

“Yeah,” he answered his gaze on his neat bed.

“Yeah to you too,” Lori said. “The potential recruits are trickling in.”

Talin could hear excitement in her voice.

“When do you think you’ll come down from the tower?”

Talin sighed. “Give me a few minutes.”

“Leave that downing mood up there, boss. This is a really good day.”

Lori ended the call, and he threw the cell phone on his bed. He stalked into his bathroom and decided Dimitri could choke down the entire lake.

Half an hour later, Talin entered the main club carrying a bowl filled with the Trubochki and the cookies from Katerina. He figured sharing them out would get them finished faster. There was no need to keep pastries that clearly didn’t have lasting power.

Seriously, what was wrong with Dimitri?

What was wrong with stopping by if the cell phone was drowning in the lake?

He handed the bowl of pastries to Lori as she led him to a desk she’d set up for the interviews.

“Finally giving these up?” Lori said taking a cookie. “Mmm…they’re really good. I see why you held on to them.”

Talin sat on the chair beside her and picked up the first application.

“What’s wrong now?” Lori asked.

Talin could feel her gaze on him. He didn’t feel like talking about the insanity going on in his head.

“Let’s get this done.”

“Please, lighten up a bit,” Lori said tugging his ear gently. “You’ll scare the new recruits away.”

Talin pasted on a smile and turned to her.

“Will that do?”

Lori laughed.

“At this rate I might need to hide your face. You look awful.”

Talin rubbed a hand down his face.

“Didn’t get much sleep,” he said.

“Having fun with Dimitri?”

Talin sat back in his chair.

“He hasn’t shown up for two days.”

“What?”

Talin shrugged. “It happens—,”

“No wonder you look so down.” Lori squeezed his shoulder. “You know, you can go over to his place too. Check on him or whatever…it’s perfectly valid.”

Now why hadn’t he thought of that earlier?

Talin watched Lori bite into a cookie. He leaned over and kissed her cheek, surprising her.

“What’s that for?”

“Nothing,” Talin said with a grin, his mood lighter. “Let’s do this.”

***

Talin drove to the marina after the interviews. He had the windows down, letting in the cool air from the lake. Tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, his foot heavy on the gas pedal, Talin refused to think about how fast his heart was beating with excitement.

He’d missed Dimitri, missed his easy smiles, and the kisses.

Driving into the marina, he parked at the front office. He grabbed his keys, but left his leather jacket. It was two o’clock, and the afternoon weather was nice: sunny, but not too hot. Perfect September weather, he slammed the car door closed and stood staring at the lake for a moment.

“Talin!”

Talin turned to find Katerina walking down the steps from the marina’s main office. She was carrying a wicker basket that looked heavy. Hurrying toward her, he took the basket and she kissed his cheek.

“You’re late,” she said with a wide smile. “I’d hoped you’d come sooner.”

He smiled when she reached up to wipe lipstick from his jaw. Dark wisps of hair fell around her face, escaping her ponytail. She was pretty.

“I’m here now,” Talin said happy to see her. Lifting the basket, he asked, “Where do you want this?”

“In my car,” she said, walking around him to a blue jeep parked two spaces away from his car. She unlocked the jeep’s trunk. “Sean and Tomas went fishing this morning. They brought more fish than we can eat. Do you want some?”

Talin barely restrained his grimace as he put the basket in her car. He loved eating fish, but the idea of cleaning fresh fish, and then cooking it…no thanks. He preferred his fish in cutlets from the supermarket.

Hoping to hide his squeamish side, he answered, “No, that’s alright.”

Katerina closed the trunk and turned to study him.

There was a way people could look at you, and it felt weird, but with Katerina, it was different. It felt right. Talin liked her scrutiny. Her gaze was kind, but not pitying. She saw more than he dared show, yet she didn’t make him feel…vulnerable, instead, her gaze was reassuring.

“Dimitri is fixing something or other in his workshop,” she said in a quiet tone. “He’s been in there too long.”

She pointed to the great white house behind the marina main office. “If you go in there, you’ll find lasagna on a serving dish in the kitchen. I was going to go back and take him some. Now that you’re here…” she smiled again. “You can do it for me, yes?”

Talin nodded.

“Good,” Katerina said walking around to the driver’s side. “Maybe you can change his mood too.”

Talin watched her get into the car. He waved when she honked and then she was gone leaving him to his own devices.

Turning back to the path that led to the main house, Talin felt excitement course through him at the thought of seeing Dimitri. He hurried up the path, going to the red front door.

Dimitri’s family home was old and spoke of deep roots. It was in the décor; the polished wood floors, and the old furniture that looked like it had belonged forever. It gave the place a welcoming feel.

It wasn’t that hard to find the kitchen. He found the lasagna sitting on a warming pad on the counter. Katerina had left it in a glass platter wrapped in cling wrap, with a yellow stick note written, ‘Eat, Dimitri.’

Talin took the platter, got a fork from the drying rack and went to the fridge. He got two bottles of water and left the kitchen through the backdoor. The workshop was behind the house. He went down the path Dimitri used the last time he’d been here.

That time he’d been too occupied with the feel of Dimitri holding his hand to notice the flower gardens. Someone took the time to tend to the riot of plants growing in a cultured wildness.

The door to the workshop was open and he entered without knocking. Tools lined the walls, each hanging in its place. The worktable was clean, no work-in-progress. So much for the billions of engines he’d imagined piled on it. Talin moved deeper into the workshop, only to pause when he saw another door that led into what looked like an office. He moved closer, hoping Dimitri wasn’t too busy.

“The original deal stands,” a voice he didn’t recognize said.

“You don’t have to remind me.” Dimitri’s tone sounded harsh, angry. “I’ve jumped into this with everything I have, and you know that.”

“Then stop asking questions you don’t want answers to,” the unfamiliar voice said. “Follow orders, Dimitri, that’s all we need from you.”

The office door opened wider, and Talin froze. Heat suffused his face. He couldn’t believe he’d been caught eavesdropping.

“Well, well.”

Talin stared at the man who appeared dressed in an impeccable navy blue suit. He had blonde hair, looked finely polished, like a prince, but it was a disturbing kind of beauty. It felt cold.

“Talin,” Dimitri’s surprised voice drew his gaze away from the stranger.

Talin’s heart jumped with joy. One look and he regretted every negative thought he’d had about Dimitri.

Compared to the cold prince, his Dimitri looked like a full-blooded gladiator. The dark beard on Dimitri’s strong jaw called to his fingers, he needed to touch it, rub it, and feel it against his skin.

“Hey,” Talin said.

“Nice to finally meet you, Talin,” the cold prince said, his tone filled with amusement.

“You were leaving,” Dimitri said.

“But it’s good to be friendly,” the cold prince said.

“Now,” Dimitri’s hard glare was unrelenting. “Go, Lucian.”

Talin stepped aside to allow the man to pass him. He got a small smile from Lucian, before the man left in quick strides. Turning to Dimitri, his heart faltered when he saw the frown on Dimitri’s face.

“Did-Did I come at a busy time?” Talin asked, looking around the empty workshop.

The frown disappeared and Dimitri smiled at him.

“No, not at all, it’s good to see you, Talin.”

Talin studied Dimitri’s face. Dimitri looked tired, like he hadn’t slept for days.

“You okay?” Talin asked.

“Yes,” Dimitri moved aside to let him into the office. “Now that you’re here, I’m great.”

That answer had his heart skipping again. He lifted the platter and the water bottles.

“I brought you food.”

Talin took the platter to the simple desk dominating the room. There were files where Dimitri worked, moving them aside carefully, Talin made space for the water bottles.

Dimitri came up behind him and placed warm hands on his shoulders. Talin closed his eyes, having missed that touch. Dimitri rubbed his hands down Talin’s arms, and pressed a kiss on Talin’s neck.

“You smell so good,” Dimitri said his mouth against his skin. “I missed you.”

Talin bit his lip afraid if he moved he might explode. “I called.”

Dimitri wrapped his arms around him, hugging him from behind. Talin brought his hands up to touch Dimitri’s strong arms. He melted back into Dimitri’s strength, his heat.

“I know,” Dimitri said, with a deep sigh.

Talin frowned, his eyes open, he turned his head slightly to look at Dimitri’s dark hair.

“You know?” he asked.

Dimitri shifted slightly, enough to meet his gaze.

“You want the short version or the long version?”

“The short version,” Talin said.

“I was going to call you back. I got swamped with work, and I couldn’t get away.” Dimitri pressed a kiss on Talin’s jaw. “If I heard your voice just once, I’d have come running to you.”

Talin chuckled. “That sounds made up, Dimitri.”

“It’s the truth,” Dimitri said with a sigh.

Dimitri held him tight for a second, and then released him.

“I’m hungry.”

Talin removed the cling wrap from the lasagna dish, and put the fork into the delicious looking pasta.

“Kat asked me to make sure you eat,” Talin said as Dimitri sat on one of the chairs in front of the desk. Talin watched him tug it closer to the desk ready to eat. “She looked worried about you.”

“She’s always worried about me,” Dimitri said with a small grin as he picked up the fork. “Where is yours?”

“My what?” Talin asked reaching for the water bottles.

“Your fork, Talin,” Dimitri said looking up at him, “I’m not eating alone.”

“I already ate.”

Dimitri grabbed the second chair and tugged it closer to the desk, right next to him.

“Sit,” he ordered, taking Talin’s right hand and tugging until he sat down.

Once settled, Dimitri scooped a mouthful of lasagna with his fork, and held it out to Talin. Talin laughed at the idea of being fed. When Dimitri glared at him, he opened his mouth and took a bite. Dimitri nodded with approval, and then scooped a bite for himself.

They ate in silence for a while.

“Who was that man?” Talin asked when he’d had enough.

“Business associate,” Dimitri answered giving him a small smile. “Why, do you think he’s handsome?”

“He seemed cold.” Talin sipped his water and watched Dimitri take a bite of his lasagna. “You didn’t seem happy to have him here.”

“I’m never happy to see Lucian,” Dimitri answered, his tone hard.

It reminded him of the second reason he'd needed to see Dimitri.

Talin reached into his pocket and pulled out the photograph someone had delivered to his door. He placed it on the table, right beside the lasagna dish. Dimitri picked it up turning it over to read the note behind it.

“What is this, Talin?” Dimitri dropped his fork into the lasagna.

“I found it at my door,” Talin said sipping his water, his gaze on the frown on Dimitri’s forehead.

Dimitri stared at the picture, and then threw it on the pile of files in the corner. He picked up his fork and took a healthy bite.

“Are we going to talk about it?” Talin asked studying him.

He’d waited two days to ask.

Dimitri glanced at him. “I’m not sure we should.”

“Why?”

Dimitri dropped the fork again and sat back.

“Talin,” he started.

“I’m not naïve,” Talin said quietly. “Don’t forget I’ve seen you with Jon at the club and the rumors…with you and Caleb Barnes.”

Dimitri met his gaze then, those pale blue eyes so captivating, Talin felt lost in them.

Clearing his throat, Talin looked down at the bottle he held.

“You said you wanted in, all the way,” Talin said. “Well, the same goes for me.”

“Talin—

“We need to be on the same page, Dimitri,” Talin insisted, cutting him off. “I won’t speculate and guess what you’re doing with your life. Someone wants to keep us apart. If you’re not ready to share with me what’s going on, then tell me to leave right now. Make this easy for both us.”

Dimitri wiped a hand down his face. “I don’t want to tell you, Talin.”

“You don’t want to—,” the pain in his chest was unexpected.

Talin pressed a hand into his chest, hoping to alleviate it. Did this mean that Dimitri wanted him to leave?

Didn’t want him…

“I thought—

“I want to protect you,” Dimitri said.

Dimitri reached out to take his hand.

“I didn’t ask for your protection.”

Talin fought the urge to tug his hand out of Dimitri’s hold like a petulant child. If this wasn’t going further, then leaving was best. He could pine away at the club until he got over Dimitri—

Talin got up ready to leave. He wouldn’t survive if Dimitri asked him to leave.

“My family is Bratva,” Dimitri said, tightening his hold on Talin’s hand.

Talin sat down hard, meeting Dimitri’s gaze as Dimitri elaborated.

“Russian Brotherhood.”

***

2014 Suilan Lee
  • Like 37
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oooohh you are mean! that was a horrible cliffhanger. I hope you update soon to make up for it! (feeling guilty yet?) This chapter was really well done. I felt it picked up the pace a tiny bit which was good. The scene with the caskets/doctor/killing the girl was chilling. Lucian is clearly leaving the pics and notes and black roses at Talin's. He wants Dimitri. Who can blame him really? I have to assume Dimitri is some sort of law enforcement. Dimitri is clearly going to be eaten alive by this if he doesn't open up to someone. that said, he was selfish bringing talin into this. He did though, by pursuing him. By rights, Talin has a right to decide if he wants to continue to stay in this. the relationship won't last without that b/c talin knows something is up and his imagination is as bad enough.

I really want to know if Lucian and Dimitri have a romantic past.

I'm big on making things seem real in a story. One thing that struck me as 'sloppy' would be talking when you get into a car that the bad guys delivered to the warehouse and could clearly have had a bug put in. That'd be the easiest way for the brotherhood to figure out where he was on this. Maybe to add authenticity, I'd have them wait to get back to the marina to talk. But that is a small thing.

Overall, awesome chapter. look forward to more

  • Like 2
Link to comment

VERY nicely done! So many conflicting emotions--the horror at the murder of the young woman; the guilt Dimitri has at his helplessness at stopping the murder; the helplessness of Dimitri in seeing a way out of this mess; the uncertainty of Talin, and the futility of Dimitri in keeping his business life separate from his personal life with Talin. (Remarkable how many of these nasty feelings are on Dimitri--no wonder he's pounding the shit out of sandbags, and not sleeping!)

Is Dimitri in law enforcement? Or just in over his head in the "family business". Is it really Lucian trying to keep them apart? Or Dimitri's sister trying to scare Talin away? (I'm convinced she knows far more than has been shown at this point.) Or is it Dimitri's brother, who's gradually putting the pieces together, but instinctively knows the try to keep Talin clear of it all?

Perhaps best of all, Talin isn't afraid to dive into the relationship--willing to take both the bad and the good of Dimitri's life.

This is getting good! You did a fine job here--can't wait for the next one!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Finally Dimitri told Talin. I've been waiting for this as I wanted Dimitri to be the one to tell Talin about his 'business'. Now, I want to know how Talin is gonna take it.

 

The murder of the girl Dimitri witnessed, I guess it'll take him some time to get over the screams of that girl, hopefully with the help of Talin. I hope Dimitri comes out of his muddy business soon but I can't see a way out.

 

I like Lori and Kat, they bring much needed light moments in the story.

 

Now, that Talin is aware of Dimitri secrets, I hope you unravel something about Talin's past too.

 

Very nice chapter, filled with numerous emotions and unanswered questions. Please update soon! I'll wait:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/15/2015 11:33 AM, Cannd said:
Oooohh you are mean! that was a horrible cliffhanger. I hope you update soon to make up for it! (feeling guilty yet?) This chapter was really well done. I felt it picked up the pace a tiny bit which was good. The scene with the caskets/doctor/killing the girl was chilling. Lucian is clearly leaving the pics and notes and black roses at Talin's. He wants Dimitri. Who can blame him really? I have to assume Dimitri is some sort of law enforcement. Dimitri is clearly going to be eaten alive by this if he doesn't open up to someone. that said, he was selfish bringing talin into this. He did though, by pursuing him. By rights, Talin has a right to decide if he wants to continue to stay in this. the relationship won't last without that b/c talin knows something is up and his imagination is as bad enough.

I really want to know if Lucian and Dimitri have a romantic past.

I'm big on making things seem real in a story. One thing that struck me as 'sloppy' would be talking when you get into a car that the bad guys delivered to the warehouse and could clearly have had a bug put in. That'd be the easiest way for the brotherhood to figure out where he was on this. Maybe to add authenticity, I'd have them wait to get back to the marina to talk. But that is a small thing.

Overall, awesome chapter. look forward to more

Hi Cannd, the cliffhanger sort of happened again...hehehe...but reading and answering this now feels great, as the story has moved along much further. Some of the questions are answered, some of the speculation moved out of the way. I will say I struggled with the part about Dimitri and his buddies having a conversation in the car after the big showdown with Lucian. I have a peanut gallery who're at loggerheads with me at the moment, I'll have to keep going and come back to it. They feel that the talking in the car shows just how much Dimitri is at the breaking point, your side is also right, he should be more careful. I've noted it down, and will work it to fit everyone soon. Thank you Cannd for your insight, it's truly priceless. Thanks,
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/17/2015 09:10 PM, Robert Rex said:
VERY nicely done! So many conflicting emotions--the horror at the murder of the young woman; the guilt Dimitri has at his helplessness at stopping the murder; the helplessness of Dimitri in seeing a way out of this mess; the uncertainty of Talin, and the futility of Dimitri in keeping his business life separate from his personal life with Talin. (Remarkable how many of these nasty feelings are on Dimitri--no wonder he's pounding the shit out of sandbags, and not sleeping!)

Is Dimitri in law enforcement? Or just in over his head in the "family business". Is it really Lucian trying to keep them apart? Or Dimitri's sister trying to scare Talin away? (I'm convinced she knows far more than has been shown at this point.) Or is it Dimitri's brother, who's gradually putting the pieces together, but instinctively knows the try to keep Talin clear of it all?

Perhaps best of all, Talin isn't afraid to dive into the relationship--willing to take both the bad and the good of Dimitri's life.

This is getting good! You did a fine job here--can't wait for the next one!

Thank you Rob for loving this chapter. Dimitri was struggling a lot finding a way through the many complications that find him in a day...hehe. Can't wait to see what you think of Talin's struggles. I'm grateful for your review, Robert. Thanks.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/17/2015 09:10 PM, Robert Rex said:
VERY nicely done! So many conflicting emotions--the horror at the murder of the young woman; the guilt Dimitri has at his helplessness at stopping the murder; the helplessness of Dimitri in seeing a way out of this mess; the uncertainty of Talin, and the futility of Dimitri in keeping his business life separate from his personal life with Talin. (Remarkable how many of these nasty feelings are on Dimitri--no wonder he's pounding the shit out of sandbags, and not sleeping!)

Is Dimitri in law enforcement? Or just in over his head in the "family business". Is it really Lucian trying to keep them apart? Or Dimitri's sister trying to scare Talin away? (I'm convinced she knows far more than has been shown at this point.) Or is it Dimitri's brother, who's gradually putting the pieces together, but instinctively knows the try to keep Talin clear of it all?

Perhaps best of all, Talin isn't afraid to dive into the relationship--willing to take both the bad and the good of Dimitri's life.

This is getting good! You did a fine job here--can't wait for the next one!

Thank you Rob for loving this chapter. Dimitri was struggling a lot finding a way through the many complications that find him in a day...hehe. Can't wait to see what you think of Talin's struggles. I'm grateful for your review, Robert. Thanks.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/21/2015 07:16 PM, sacredlove said:
Finally Dimitri told Talin. I've been waiting for this as I wanted Dimitri to be the one to tell Talin about his 'business'. Now, I want to know how Talin is gonna take it.

 

The murder of the girl Dimitri witnessed, I guess it'll take him some time to get over the screams of that girl, hopefully with the help of Talin. I hope Dimitri comes out of his muddy business soon but I can't see a way out.

 

I like Lori and Kat, they bring much needed light moments in the story.

 

Now, that Talin is aware of Dimitri secrets, I hope you unravel something about Talin's past too.

 

Very nice chapter, filled with numerous emotions and unanswered questions. Please update soon! I'll wait:)

Oooh...sacred, I'm happy coz I'm answering this after I've answered all your questions and hopes...hehehe. Talin's truths are tough aren't they! Yeah, Dimitri and Talin have a strangely tough road ahead. Guess it's all about the bond between them now. Thank you for reading as always.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Whatever that Brotherhood is, it's scary and seems to be capable of doing horrible things. Too bad Dimitri is involved :/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..