Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,572 Words
  • 6,244 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crown Prince Yoshi - 1. Chapter 1

1

Yoshi Taimeng sat with his head leaned back, his eyes closed. Two hours stifled in the royal coach was exhausting him. He was bored, three more hours and he was going to get comatose. He wished he were on his horse, riding hard.

“Your highness,” a soft voice cut into his thoughts.

He raised his head to look at the younger man seated across him. Sando Kari, his chamberlain, held out a gold-coated bottle. “Water, your highness, you must stay hydrated.”

Yoshi took the bottle and sipped the water. With his free hand, he reached out to pull back the yellow silk curtains to look out the window. They were crossing the vast Imperial Lands headed for the Furian forest. Long red grass covered the open fields, the wind teasing the long blades, their color bright in the mid-morning sun. There was no civilization in sight; there were no rules or obligations in this place. Yoshi’s lips twitched into a smile. He dropped the curtain and turned to Sando. He gave the bottle back and reached for the red silk belt at his waist.

“I want to ride Senbon.”

“Your Highness,” Sando gasped his eyes wide in protest. “You mustn’t, if the Empress was to discover that-”

“My mother is not here. We’ll keep it between us and the royal guards won’t know. I have a plan.”

He pulled off the belt and removed the richly embroidered red silk tunic he wore. Sando’s eyes were wide with shock. Yoshi ignored the reaction and pounded on the top of the coach signaling for the convoy to stop. A royal guard rode up to the window and asked quietly through the curtain.

“Is Your Highness alright?”

“Send me one of the serfs.” Yoshi sat back in his seat and grinned at Sando who was ready to fall off his seat. “Relax, no one will ever know.”

“Please put your clothes back on, Your Highness.” Sando picked up the red tunic and held it out. “You don’t want the serf to carry tales. Please stop undressing, Your Highness.”

There was a soft knock on the coach door, and Sando sighed when Yoshi regally ordered him to open the door. The large coach allowed for comfortable wide benches on each side. There was a wide space between the benches. Sando gave him a suffering glance before he ushered in a young man in beige robes made of linen and a matching wrap on his head. The serf kept his head bowed low and didn’t speak as he stood before Yoshi.

“Pay your respects,” Sando ordered him. The young man gasped and as impossible as it seemed he bent his head even lower. Sando closed the coach door and turned to Yoshi with a raised brow.

Yoshi smiled at him before he ordered. “Strip, Serf.”

“Your Highness,” Sando said in alarm. It was forbidden for any clothing other than the robes made at the palace to touch the prince’s body. For him to think of exchanging clothes with a serf—

Sando shuddered. “What are you doing?”

The serf did as asked no doubt worried he might lose his head if he disobeyed. Yoshi was glad for it. He grabbed his tunic from the bench where Sando had left it and gave it to the serf.

“Wear it and hand me your clothes.”

Sando moved fast and took the beige uniform hostage a horrified expression on his face. He shook his head when Yoshi glared at him.

“You can’t wear these clothes, Your Highness. It is forbidden. Please, wear your own. I will get Senbon for you. I can take the Empress’s punishment.”

Yoshi gave a long exasperated sigh and reached for Sando’s royal blue robes. He smiled into the younger man’s eyes, distracting him. Sando blushed and his grip on the serf’s clothing slackened. Yoshi took them and quickly ducked his head under the tunic. In minutes, he was dressed as the serf while the serf uncomfortably wore his rich clothing.

Yoshi pulled off the gold clip that held his hair up on his head. The long black strands fell around his shoulders tumbling down his back. He ran fingers through his scalp to ease the pressure on his head with a small moan. Once finished, he turned his back to Sando who braided his hair neatly. Sando twisted his hair into a knot in the back of his head and then tied the turban the serf had used.

“Sando, ask for Senbon. Tell the royal guard that I’ve ordered the serf to ride the horse for exercise.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Sando left the coach and he turned to the serf.

“What’s your name?” he asked of the man now seated in his place his head held down.

“Ting, Your Highness,” the serf replied in a low hesitant tone.

“Ting,” Yoshi repeated quietly. “I will take your place for a while.”

He reached for a small onyx box from a bag on the floor and pulled out a fake gold ring that he handed to the serf. “Take this, Ting. The Royal Guards get curious. It should protect you until I’ve had my ride. I will be back before you know it.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” The serf took the ring and placed it on his right index finger. It was common knowledge which finger he wore his ring. As a result, his mother had taken other measures in case she needed to identify him. He smiled at the thought; it was their secret, only Sando knew the truth of the phoenix on his back. Sando knocked on the door and Yoshi left the coach without a backward glance at the serf.

“Follow me,” Sando said once he stepped out of the coach.

Yoshi hid a smile as he lowered his head so that none of the royal guards would know who he was. The brown trousers he wore were long. He was glad for it, as he realized that he’d forgotten to change his fine black boots. Sando suddenly stopped and nodded to a white stallion.

“This is Senbon, His Highness’s stallion. Ride him well, be kind to him.” Sando was certainly playing his part very well. Yoshi bowed slightly to Sando as was expected. He took the horse’s reins. The stallion shifted and he murmured a few words to keep him calm. Senbon relaxed and he smiled. He couldn’t fool the horse, the magnificent animal was well aware of whom his master was.

The moment he was on the saddle, he urged the horse forward. He turned to see Sando order the head Royal guard to start the convoy again. Satisfied that his temporary escape seemed successful, Yoshi crouched low over Senbon and murmured. “Run, Senbon.”

The great white stallion responded, galloping in swift strides across the open plains of the Imperial Lands. Senbon quickly ate up the distance, his hooves cutting a path through the long red grass. He rushed towards the Furian forest. The wind on his face, Yoshi felt free, ready to face anything. His heart thundered in his chest, his body flowed into Senbon’s movements. He lost himself in the exhilarating ride. It was hard to get a chance like this at home. There were so many rules guarding his life at the palace, he never got to really live.

Senbon suddenly swerved to the left, the movement hard and jerky. A loud whipping sound filled the air and Yoshi ducked lower over the horse just as an object whizzed by his ear. He gripped Senbon’s reins securely, forcing him to slow down. He looked over his shoulder in time to see Sando riding toward him.

Sando waved his arms at him, and he frowned. His chamberlain was going to ruin his plan if he kept that up. If Sando panicked, the royal guards would too. He brought the stallion to a stop and frowned as something glinted in the sky. The stallion shifted and he gasped as he realized it was an arrow.

Senbon moved just as the powerful iron-tipped arrow sank into the ground where he'd stood. Yoshi urged Senbon into motion. They had to get to the edge of the forest. Senbon could make the distance, but Sando—

He turned to make sure that Sando was still behind him. The chestnut Sando was using wasn’t fast enough. The arrows were too close.

Yoshi turned Senbon around and raced toward his chamberlain. Sando started yelling his voice inaudible. When he reached Sando, Yoshi held out his hand to the younger man.

“You’re crazy, your highness. We’re under attack, you must get away.” Sando was hysterical as he reached for Yoshi’s hand.

“Let the chestnut go,” he ordered.

He gave Sando a powerful tag that had him tumbling off his horse. Sando gripped his right shoulder and managed to get on Senbon. Yoshi urged the stallion into a hard gallop toward the forest. The chestnut tried to keep up, but couldn’t.

“Who is it?” he demanded when Sando clutched his waist tightly.

“They are wearing red hoods over their heads all I could see were very dark eyes. They are in black clothing and very skilled with their swords. We didn’t see them coming, one minute we were traveling slowly, the next they were upon us. They went straight for the serf in the coach, Your Highness. I took off the moment the royal guards started losing the fight. We have to get you to safety.”

“Did they ask questions?”

Five minutes to the forest line, he glanced over his shoulder and saw two riders coming at them. They were fast, eating up the distance. He urged Senbon into a faster pace, the stallion responded even with Sando’s extra weight. It wouldn’t last long enough though.

“They didn’t,” Sando said.

Yoshi fought fear and concentrated on the forest line. He had no idea what they were going to do once they got there. All he knew was that they had to get to the forest. No questions meant assassins. Assassins with orders not to leave anyone standing, he shuddered.

“We must make it to the forest.”

He felt Sando shift behind him.

“They’re getting closer, Your Highness. Senbon is getting tired. You’ll make it alone if you let me get off.”

“We’ll make it.” Yoshi snapped his eyes focused on the tree line.

These assassins had murdered the serf thinking it was the Prince.

An assassination attempt on his life, he frowned.

His mother’s paranoia lately started making sense. She’d sent him away from the palace saying he was safer with the royal guards. His mother—

Panic seized him.

“We have to go back to the palace.”

“We need to get away from the riders who are coming toward us first.” Sando pointed out, as the tree line finally got close enough. “We will seek help from the Furian clan before we even think of returning to Lexin city.”

Yoshi looked back this time to check the progress of the riders. Senbon was slowing down; he caught a glimpse of dark red fabric flapping not too far behind them. The riders caught up just as they reached the forest. He guided Senbon into a non-existent path in the overgrown forest.

Sando dragged a sword from the sheath tied to his waist and deflected an arrow. Yoshi frowned and guided the stallion through thick bushes.

It had been a long while since he’d been in the Furian forest. He’d come when he’d been ten years old. His mother had brought him along on her visit to the Furian leader, Princess Naria of the Furian. The clan sisters had met them at the entrance to the forest. This time, he was entering their forest uninvited.

“Your Highness,” Sando gasped behind him. “We must find a place to hide, they’re relentless.”

“I’m hoping the clan sisters have sensed our presence,” Yoshi said, looking around the forest. “The sisters might attack us as well, but at least they always take their trespassers alive.”

“Watch out!” Sando gripped his arm tight just as a figure in deep red skirts appeared riding on a black horse. She rode toward them her silver sword pointed at Yoshi’s heart.

Senbon swerved hard, and Yoshi gripped his reins as they veered into a steep grassy patch. Behind him, the sound of arrows launching into the air filled his ears. He gasped when Senbon jerked to an abrupt stop to keep from falling down a rocky ridge. His heart pounding, Yoshi turned to find the figure in deep red skirts, face covered with black fabric standing over the two assassin riders her sword dripping with blood. The arrows were in pieces around the assassin bodies, their horses paced behind her.

Sando handed him the sword he held. Yoshi gripped the familiar gold handle and focused on the woman. She looked like she was waiting for him to get ready for her attack. He blew out a shaky breath and watched as that bloody sword rose. He loosened his grip on his sword, keeping his body relaxed ready to counter the attack but it never came.

The woman dropped to one knee, the black cloth over her face came off to reveal a beautiful young face with short red hair and lime-colored eyes. She bowed her head and lay her sword down on the green grass.

“I declare my allegiance to you, Prince Yoshi of Amana, heir to the throne,” she said with a hard tone.

He blinked when he realized he wasn’t going to be fighting. He turned to look at Sando and shrugged when his chamberlain looked as confused as he was.

“Who are you?” Yoshi asked remaining on Senbon. The stallion shifted under him and moved away from the edge of the rocky ridge.

“I am Telia of Furian. The Princess sent me to guard you on your journey. I’m sorry I’m late.”

“She sent you to guard me?” Yoshi frowned.

Sando jumped off the horse and rubbed his backside. Yoshi hid his amusement at the little gesture and decided Sando needed more practice riding horses.

“She’s on our side. We should be happy, Your Highness. This one is dangerous with her sword,” Sando said pointing to the two dead men.

“Check those two, find out who they are.” Yoshi ordered his gaze on the Furian clan sister still kneeling on the ground. “Why would your Princess send you to guard me?”

“The House of Meng plots treason against the ruling Empress and her heir.” Telia looked up to meet his gaze. “I’m to protect you until you are declared Crown Prince.”

“What?” Sando gasped staring at Telia in shock.

Yoshi got off Senbon, his grip on his sword getting tighter at the thought of his mother in the palace. If they had tried to kill him, they were definitely trying to murder the Empress. “I must get back to the palace, now.”

“If she’s right, then you’re not safe at the palace. We must find a place to stay while we gather more information.” Sando countered. “They are planned and we’re not. We need allies.”

“But my mother,” Yoshi said his voice laced with worry he couldn’t hide. “She’s alone at the palace.”

“The Empress has her guards. They will protect her.” Sando turned to Telia. “Where can we find safety?”

“You find safety.” Yoshi turned toward Senbon. “I’m going back to the city to help my mother.”

“Your Highness,” Sando said in frustration.

“You’re of no use to her dead,” Telia called out to him with a challenging tone. “The only way you can help the Empress is to gain as many allies as you can to help you regain power.”

“Who are you to speak to me like that?” Yoshi turned to glare at her. “Your kind only knows how to murder. You know nothing of a bond between a son and his mother.”

Telia picked up her sword and pointed it at him. She remained kneeling, obviously still waiting for his acceptance of her allegiance.

“You are dressed as a serf. I can only imagine you had a double take your place. I assume they killed the man and took the identification ring he was wearing. They will take that to the Empress as evidence that you’re dead. If you return to the palace, Your Highness, you’ll find everyone mourning you. You’ll be considered an impostor.”

Yoshi glared at her. She was deliberately trying to annoy him. This was a delaying tactic. Maybe she was working with the assassins. No one would believe that serf was the true prince. His mother would know him. One look at that serf and she would know he was alive. The ring was also fake he didn't see how their claim would work. He paced to Senbon and grabbed the reins. He had to return to the palace to keep his mother was safe.

“They will not let her identify you. A body dressed in the Prince's clothes and also wearing your identification ring, that's all they want. They will hand her the ring, and declare you dead. They’ll force the Empress into declaring the heir to the House of Meng as the Crown Prince or her life is forfeit. No one will object.” Telia called to him as she dropped her sword and shrugged. “The way I see it, if you’re returning to the palace, you’re going to need more than that stallion and a chamberlain who can’t fight.”

Sando, who’d been uncovering the assassin’s faces, gasped. “Your Highness, these are royal guards. I recognize them.”

He frowned and let go of Senbon’s reins. He hurried to Sando and stared at the familiar faces of the Imperial royal guard.

“They take care of my uncle’s family. Both of them belong to Saki Meng’s guard.”

“You can’t go back.” Sando straightened up shaking his head. “We need help. Treason doesn’t even begin to cover this. The Empire is in danger.”

“This is why I have to go back.” Yoshi kicked one of the dead assassins and headed for his horse. “That idiot, Saki, he can’t even tie his belt without help. What are they thinking?”

“If you leave the Furian Forest, you’ll be dead by midnight,” Telia informed him in a quite tone. “You must believe me, Your Highness.”

“Prince Yoshi.” Sando moved away from the assassins and came to stop him from mounting Senbon. “Please, listen to her. Let’s wait until we get more information. Your mother has time. It will take them at least a week to declare the new heir. They have to keep the Empress alive that long because she’s the only who can declare a Crown Prince.

Yoshi leaned his head on Senbon and fought the urge to ride him back out to the Imperial Lands headed for the city. The thought of his mother looking at that fake ring and thinking him dead…it killed him.

“If Saki is the reason why they’re doing this, I’ll abdicate the throne, and demand my mother’s life.”

“I know a safe place.” Telia called to them. “There’s a small village close to Fier where we can stay. It will take us a couple hours to get there.”

“Let’s go with this woman, Telia.” Sando urged him. “She’s a good fighter, and if we can convince the Princess to send you an army full of fighters like her, rescuing your mother should be easy.”

“What about the convoy and the trip to Fier?” Yoshi rubbed his eyes. “If I don’t arrive there on time, the rebellion will keep going.”

“Your Highness,” Sando said his tone gentle. “We left the peace agreement documents in the coach. I’m very sure they were destroyed in the attack.”

Yoshi lifted his head from Senbon and turned to look at Telia. “I want an audience with the Princess of your clan.”

“She’s at battle, defending the villages on the north side of the forest. The rebels have been attacking innocent villagers for four days now. An audience with her is impossible. Not with your life in danger, Your Highness.”

“I thought the Imperial Army was sent to help her two days ago?” Yoshi frowned. He’d been in that meeting. “She should have relief by now.”

“They hadn’t arrived when I left for this mission yesterday.” Telia’s forehead creased with worry.

Fear swept through Yoshi as he suddenly realized he didn’t know what was going on. What would delay the Imperial Army? They’d had explicit orders to head straight to the North of the Furian forest.

He frowned at Telia. “Quit that kneeling. Call me Yoshi from now on. We’ll go with you to this village. I need more information on the rebels, and the missing army. I have a feeling the answers are connected to the assassins.”

Sando breathed in relief and headed for the two horses munching on grass near the assassins. He got on one and grabbed the reins to the other. Yoshi got on Senbon and they waited for Telia to mount her horse.

She led the way out of the clearing.

“How did you know who I was?” Yoshi asked as they picked their way through the forest.

“Your horse,” Telia said quietly. She turned and flashed him her first genuine smile. “I was there when you visited with your mother eleven years ago. My mother gave Senbon to you. Senbon’s mother was my horse.”

****

Here starts another journey, Yoshi is my darling been thinking about him for a while. Will have to see where he takes us. :)
2012 lilansui
  • Like 29
  • Love 6
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very nice and exciting chapter sui..waiting to meet midori..the way you have wrote first chapter..it shows you have done your homework very well..m looking forward for your next chapter..best of luck :-)

Link to comment

Definitely off to a rip roaring start here. Yoshi seems very headstrong. Can't wait to see who tames him into submission. lol

 

Seriously, great beginning. I love a tough woman in the midst of things.lol

Link to comment

Two minor things - in the third paragraph, it should read hydrated; towards the end when Yoshi is reflecting on what to do, the story referes to the Empress seeing the "fake ring" - that ring is not fake, right?

Seems to be a great story shaping up here! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
On 11/27/2012 03:14 AM, sacredlove said:
A very nice and exciting chapter sui..waiting to meet midori..the way you have wrote first chapter..it shows you have done your homework very well..m looking forward for your next chapter..best of luck :-)
been doing a lot of homework on this one, glad you liked it, thanks for the review sacred.
Link to comment
On 11/27/2012 06:48 AM, joann414 said:
Definitely off to a rip roaring start here. Yoshi seems very headstrong. Can't wait to see who tames him into submission. lol

 

Seriously, great beginning. I love a tough woman in the midst of things.lol

Thank you for the awesome comment. I hope you love Yoshi.
Link to comment
On 11/27/2012 07:49 AM, DeroiBlandDavis said:
I smell something great cooking...
Thanks Raven, come back for more ^_^
Link to comment
On 11/28/2012 07:12 AM, Conner said:
Two minor things - in the third paragraph, it should read hydrated; towards the end when Yoshi is reflecting on what to do, the story referes to the Empress seeing the "fake ring" - that ring is not fake, right?

Seems to be a great story shaping up here! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks Conner, I fixed the two parts. Thanks for the review as always. :)
Link to comment
On 6/17/2017 at 8:49 PM, Foster said:

I like the beginning. Seems like my kind of story. Thanks.

I hope you love it too!

Link to comment

I've put off reading anything by you so far so I thought it was about time I gave you a try lol

 

Definitely an attention grabbing opening chapter. I look forward to more.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..