Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,335 Words
  • 3,977 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crown Prince Yoshi - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The Palace Courts, Lexin City

Almira clutched a small gold coin in her left palm, feeling the texture, the perfect round shape. She closed her fingers tight around the coin, the action hidden by the rich white silk brocade embroidered with red dragons. Her right hand gripped the smooth carved dragonhead on the arm of her throne. How many times had she sat here listening to the court ministers bicker? Decades it seemed. Good and bad memories weighed on her shoulders; she’d thought her reign already defined.

She had thought wrong. This moment, facing a court full of treacherous court ministers and traitors, this moment here would define her reign.

“Your Majesty, a rebel army marches on the palace. The capital is vulnerable.”

“The capital gates remain locked,” Sharifa of Fier, Minister of Defense, said. “The Imperial Guard is alert and at the ready. However, they cannot hold off a full on attack. We are going to need to meet the rebel leaders and discover what they want.”

Almira bit back a scoff.

Sharifa of Fier supported the rebel leader Namik one hundred percent. His words now were a means to deceive her, fool her and keep her eyes closed to the treachery in her court. They sparked a bitter debate in the room, as each minister worried for the safety of the Lexin City.

“Chief Chancellor Rokka,” Almira interrupted the incessant arguments. “How many in the rebel army?”

Kafe Rokka stepped forward, his head bowed.

“Three hundred thousand men, your majesty, and more heading in from the north close to Earith.”

“That is a large number,” Almira said. “Any news from the Princess Naria?”

“None, Your Majesty,” Kafe Rokka said, his tone a tad too smug.

He knew the Imperial Army had never reached Naria. As far as he was concerned, the Princess was too occupied fighting off rebel forces in the Furian Forest to care about Lexin City. The thought brought a ball of ice deep in her stomach.

Almira hoped Tai had fulfilled his promise.

“Your Majesty,” the Minister of Rites said, his tone contrite, though when Almira looked at him, she only saw contempt in his eyes. “With imminent danger at our doors, isn’t it prudent to ensure the royal family’s continuity.”

Almira gripped the dragonhead tighter. She had known this would come. The Prince Tailen would push his allies for it.

“My son is barely cold in his grave,” Almira stated, determined to fight against Tailen’s scheming.

She glared at the Minister of Rites. He and Kafe Rokka oversaw the Imperial Household Council. Their petition held weight, she could not ignore or brush off this request and they knew it.

“Your Majesty,” the Minister of Rites insisted. “The Empire must keep moving forward. Without a clear heir to the throne, how can we face the future? With a rebel army at our gates, we must fight. Her Majesty must stand against the rebels. We need to show them we are not afraid.”

Almira’s gaze shifted to Saki and Prince Tailen who sat to her left behind the ministers. Their designations in her court had always been minor, like flies on a wall. She had minimized Tailen’s role in her court, offering him only a glimpse into the Empire’s inner workings. She should have known he would want to eat it all.

Prince Tailen smiled at her and she returned her gaze to the Minister of Rites.

“With The Prince Yoshinori gone,” the Minister of Rites continued, “The next in line to the throne is Prince Saki. We beg Your Majesty, to name him successor of the Empire.”

Almira gripped the coin in her left hand tight when the full court repeated the Minister of Rites’ request.

“We beg Your Majesty to name The Prince Saki successor of the Empire.”

Bastards, all of them, bloody bastards.

Almira closed her eyes and drew on waning strength.

“Matters of empire succession are heavy. We must think long and hard,” Almira said, using a tone that invited no arguments. “We urge the Minister of Defense to take clear measures to secure the capital. Lexin City must not fall into rebel hands.”

Standing up, she ended the court session by leaving and was followed by the Chief Chancellor Rokka.

No doubt, he wanted to keep pushing Prince Tailen’s agendas.

“Your Majesty,” Rokka started.

“Chief Chancellor, how long have you served our royal family?” Almira asked as they left the main courthouse heading to the inner palace.

“Your servant has served you three decades, Your Majesty,” Rokka answered with pride.

“Such a long time,” Almira paused, turning to face him. “Chief Chancellor, we have accomplished much together.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Rokka said, bowing his head, not daring meet her gaze.

“Invite the Prince Saki for a meal in the inner palace this evening. We wish to look into his eyes,” Almira said, noting the small smile that graced Rokka’s lips.

His loyalty was fickle, she thought.

Rokka had sold his allegiance to a deadly snake.

This betrayal hit her hard, and she wondered how many more in her ranks had joined Prince Taihen. Watching Rokka leave, she hardened her heart, her gaze filled with resolve.

Almira walked back to the inner palace alone. Sayuri met her at the entrance into the inner palace, behind her Lord Hong Ma hidden by a pillar. Almira stopped knowing that Hong Ma wanted to remain hidden.

“Your Majesty,” Sayuri said. “Forgive Your Servant, she dares play a puppet for a lord.”

“Speak,” Almira said, her gaze on Sayuri, though the order was directed at Lord Hong.

“Preparations are complete,” Lord Hong said, his tone low. “Though the rebel forces wait at the gates, they make no move to attack the city yet. I suspect they await Your Majesty’s edict on the future Crown Prince.”

“Yes, the Ministers have made that clear,” Almira nodded.

“A message came from the desert,” Lord Hong continued.

The desert, Almira’s heart slammed against her chest at the thought of the Sand Queen. She schooled her fear, and stared at Sayuri, who gave her a slight smile.

“The message waits for you,” Sayuri murmured.

Almira gave a small nod understanding someone waited for her. She looked at Lord Hong.

“We have invited The Prince Saki for a meal this evening. I suspect he will not come alone. Lord Hong, we give the Royal Investigative Bureau full authority to protect Lexin City, and secure this Palace. At that hour, you must purge the snakes out of my court.”

Lord Hong straightened, gave her a bow, and disappeared into the shadows of the inner palace. Sayuri moved from her path and walked a step behind her as they headed to Almira’s chambers.

“What of the apothecary?” Almira asked.

“Her Majesty will meet the apothecary soon. Arrangements are underway,” Sayuri said, her tone light.

“Sayuri is full of mystery,” Almira joked, increasing her step.

“Her Majesty is eager,” Sayuri teased, matching her speed. “There are eyes in the wall.”

“I worry no longer,” Almira said, knowing Lord Hong protected the inner palace. She rushed into her chambers, and as the door closed, a gasp escaped when she saw Tai Migi appear from behind a heavy curtain in her sitting area.

“Your Majesty,” Tai greeted, getting on one knee, and lowering his head in a bow.

Tears filled Almira’s eyes and she sat in the closest chair afraid of shaking him for information.

“The Phoenix lives,” Tai said without prompting, reaching into his pocket, he removed a red sachet embroidered with gold.

Sayuri hurried forward and took the sachet. Almira took it from her and opened it with trembling fingers. Pouring the contents into her palm, the tears spilled over at the sight of the two inch-long lock of hair, tied with an eagle’s feather.

“The Phoenix is in Dwind. He is amassing allies to protect Your Majesty and the Empire.”

Almira clutched the lock of hair in her hand and pressed it to her chest. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, thanking the gods for protecting her son.

“I-Is he—

She couldn’t make the words come out without a sob, so she bit her lip and turned too Sayuri.

“Is he hurt?” Sayuri took over, turning to Tai Migi. “Is he eating? You’re here, is he safe?”

Tai looked at her and smiled.

“He is whole and endures constant nagging from Sando to eat three meals a day. He makes friends easily, and has loyal men surrounding him. Your Majesty would be proud.”

Almira breathed out in relief, glad to hear that Sando was beside Yoshi. With Sando with him, she knew Yoshi would be well. Sando took care of her son as she would.

“Thank you, Tai Migi,” Almira said, her strength returning. She gripped the lock of hair tight and nodded. “Thank you very much, child.”

Tai lowered his head. “Your Servant is very honored by Her Majesty’s gratitude.”

Knowing her overly thankful heart would only burden Tai, Almira wiped her tears away and tucked the lock of hair into a hidden pocket in her robes. Composing herself, Almira threw her thoughts back into state business with renewed energy.

“What of Naria?” Almira asked.

“The Phoenix secured Earith, and the Furian Forest. He negotiated an alliance between the two leaders. These allied forces ride to intercept the rebel army as we speak. They will arrive behind Namik at sun down.”

“Who leads the allied forces?”

“The Phoenix tasked this important position to The Princess Naria of the Furian Forest,” Tai answered.

Almira nodded in approval.

Naria was a seasoned warrior. Yoshi’s decision was right.

“Why is the Phoenix in Dwind?” Almira asked, knowing the moment the Sand Queen laid her eyes on Yoshi she would send him to the pit. If Yoshi failed, Lilind would join hands with Namik.

“He hoped to ally Dwind and then meet The Princess Naria,” Tai said, his gaze on the ground.

“Ally Dwind?” Almira narrowed her gaze. “Your sister Zia Sayu only needs to reach Terra. Does The Phoenix know this? He has no need to tangle with Lilind. The Sand Queen will want to test him—

Almira broke off, the look in her eyes dangerous at the thought of that sand-constipated woman daring to test her flesh and blood.

Tai closed his eyes, lowering his head. Almira knew she wasn’t going to like what he said next.

“The Phoenix fought the Sand Queen’s gauntlet in the pit with help from the Furian Telia—

Unitas,” Almira growled, remembering her young son bursting into wild flames that could burn a body. The fear she’d endured then thinking Yoshi was lost to her returned. She had explicitly forbidden the use of that weapon.

“She dared ignite him! I want her sand-clogged brain on a platter, Tai. How long will he be down this time? One week is not convenient. The Empire is at caving under the weight of Namik’s fury.”

“He is awake. I left after I was sure,” Tai said. “The Phoenix was unconscious for two days and is now under the tender care of…”

“Who takes care of the Phoenix in Dwind?” Almira demanded when Tai trailed off.

Tai lifted his head and met her gaze, before he looked away with a wince.

The tender care…Almira frowned. Yoshi might have found a match, someone he dared love. The thought made her happy, but wary. Yoshi had a soft heart.

“Is this individual a man?”

Tai gave a single nod.

“Is he a good man? Of course, we knew we would not keep The Phoenix by our side forever. Is this man reliable? Someone worthy? He will end up in this Palace next to an Emperor, he must not be greedy.”

Tai kept his gaze on the floor, his head still lowered. His silence made Almira pause. She gave Sayuri a worried glance.

“Her Majesty would like to know the name of The Phoenix’s chosen consort,” Sayuri prompted when Tai remained silent. “Her Majesty only wishes to make preparations for this fortunate event. She has worried The Phoenix is lonely.”

Tai sighed and closed his eyes.

“His name is Midori of Fier.”

Sayuri gaped and Almira’s fists clenched tight, realizing why Tai hesitated to give her the name.

“I’m sure you don’t mean General Midori Sanori, Fier’s heir. This name can be very common. In Earith, they have taken to naming their sons Yoshi.”

Tai resigned himself to facing the Empress’s ire and lifted his head to meet her gaze.

“Your Majesty, the Phoenix’s chosen consort is General Midori Sanori, Fier’s heir.”

Almira got to her feet.

What was this? Her son escapes the murderous intent of the father, only to fall into the seductive mitts of the son.

“Yoshi, what are you thinking?” Almira asked, a deep frown creasing her forehead. “Return to his side and ensure no promises are made. Remind him the heart cannot always be trusted.”

***

Dwind

The warmer temperatures in Dwind did not allow for heavy clothing. Yoshi wore a light white robe, wrapped around his hips with a gold belt. His hair long down his back, his chest bare of any clothing. He dangled his feet into the pool of water in the quiet garden and stared up at the clear sky. What a beautiful place this was, he mused.

Yoshi braced his hands behind him and tilted his head up, closing his eyes to enjoy the feel of the sun on his face. His thoughts on his first trip alone out of the palace, what felt like months ago, but was only a little over a month. He’d wanted adventure, hated the constraints of being the Crown Prince. He had wanted the freedom of riding Senbon until it felt as though he was flying.

Who would have thought he would end up in Dwind at what they called the Klud Citadel. Lady Pipa was his host, as she had insisted his recovery would be best in her citadel. A political maneuver, but at this point, none of it mattered. His whole life was a political maneuver.

“Are you sleeping?” a playful voice asked.

Yoshi opened his eyes to find a young boy standing over him, his gaze curious as he studied Yoshi.

“I’m thinking,” Yoshi answered.

“You looked like you were sleeping.”

The boy disappeared and Yoshi turned his head to find the boy settling beside him. The boy had tanned skin, and chewed on a bun. Bits and pieces of red sauce covered his lips, he clearly loved the red bean sauce in the bun.

“Pipa is busy downstairs preparing a proposal for the Prince. She has turned into a whirlwind. I wonder if this Prince will really listen to her, or just do what Mother Lilind says.”

“Do you know the Prince?” Yoshi asked.

“No. I have never seen him. But I hear he is very strong and frightening. They said he spits fire.”

Spit fire...ha, did he also turn stones to gold?

Yoshi couldn’t help laughing.

“What is your name?”

“Sema.”

Sema glanced at him with a huge grin.

“Did you hear? The Prince burned hotter than a phoenix, when he fought Mother Lilind. He won a gauntlet out of the pits. He is going to take over Dwind and make it his. Do you think he will let Pipa keep this Citadel?”

“Why do you think The Prince will take over Dwind?”

“Anyone stronger than Mother Lilind should have the right to take over Dwind. Many have tried, no one has ever won,” Sema said with a sigh. “Mother Lilind scares even Pipa, and she’s the Clan Leader. This Prince must be fierce.”

Yoshi smiled oddly pleased and amused by Sema’s perspective of him.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw two black guards appear. Clearly, their intention was to take the boy away and return to him the solitude he’d been seeking. Yoshi lifted his hand and stopped them, shooing them away.

“Do you live here?” Yoshi asked Sema.

“Yes. Pipa is my older sister. She says she will approve my bride.”

“Will she now?” Yoshi grinned. “What an honor that will be.”

“What is your name?” Sema asked.

“Yoshi.”

“Hmm…sounds familiar,” Sema said, studying him for a moment. Then he shrugged and concentrated on eating his bun. “Do you want to play a game with me when I’m done eating?”

“Yes, sure,” Yoshi nodded, taking in a deep breath and letting it out. “Even I must let go once in a while.”

****

“His Royal Highness will allow an audience with Lilind,” Midori said, studying Pipa. “Despite the rude reception he still wishes to form an alliance with the Sand Queen.”

“His Royal Highness is very generous,” Pipa Klud said, pacing to the open windows of the main hall at the citadel. Beyond the wall, Pipa watched the people go about their business in the citadel. None of them aware the Empire’s heir rested in her house. She had to give the black guard credit. Their stealth surpassed all.

“His generous heart forms this alliance,” Telia said, drawing Pipa’s gaze. “Imagine, a Furian, Fier’s heir, a chamberlain and now Pipa of the Klud clan. Do you think we would be in one room without His Royal Highness?”

Pipa stared at her for a moment, and then laughed.

“Are you always so straightforward?” Pipa asked, clearly charmed by Telia.

“It is useful,” Telia said, meeting Midori’s gaze. “Other’s hope I had a more flowery outlook on life, but it pays to keep one’s feet rooted to the ground.”

“Telia,” Midori chided.

“Then I ask you, his close friends,” Pipa said. “Do you think he will agree to speak to me before he meets Mother Lilind?”

Telia lifted a brow at Midori, before her gaze returned to Pipa.

“We are here seeking troops to fight Namik of Fier,” Telia stated. “Earith gained an alliance with our Furian Princess, the Furians begged for a chance in the government. I suppose you are allowed to seek a reward as well.”

“You make it sound as though we all want something from the Prince for helping.” Pipa sighed and turned to Midori. “We are a forgotten citadel. The rest of the world moves ahead, yet we remain stagnant and enclosed. I want a better future for my brother. A better life for my people. Is that too ambitious or greedy?”

Midori smiled and folded his arms against his chest.

“You and I might have more in common than you think,” Midori said. “Sando, do you think the Prince will hate it too much if we interrupt his solitude?”

Sando gave a small shake of his head, and headed to the door.

“He will take you to the Prince,” Midori said when Pipa hesitated.

“Aren’t you coming?” Pipa asked.

“No, you and His Royal Highness have much to discuss. He will let you know if your ambition is wrong. You don’t need us there.”

“What about—,” Pipa broke off, clearly nervous.

“Be honest,” Midori said, with a small smile and waved her off when Sando turned back to look at Pipa. She hurried away, leaving Midori and Telia alone.

“We are running out of time,” Telia stated. “The Princess Naria is close to Lexin City by now. She might need to engage Namik to draw his attention away from the palace.”

“Yes,” Midori sighed and leaned on the closest wall. “I’m sure after Yoshi and Lilind talk we will have the army we need.”

“What of Terra?” Telia asked. “How sure is the Prince that Her Majesty’s messenger will reach them?”

“You’re better off not trying to understand the workings of the Inner Palace. Almira is not one to underestimate.”

Telia frowned, her gaze on his face.

“You are worried. Why? Do you think we’ll lose the war?”

Midori shrugged.

“No, of course not. Stop concerning yourself with my worry.”

“It’s about him,” Telia said in quiet realization. “Has he not given you any promises?”

Midori stared at her.

Telia tilted her head to the side, her gaze flashing red once, and then she smiled.

“He has,” Telia said in wonder. “How lucky for you. A promise made by one such as he cannot be easily broken.”

“I have met his mother,” Midori said with a small sigh. “She rules the world.”

“That she does,” Telia grinned. “However, Almira the Great cannot rule one’s heart, Midori. Remember that.”

Midori hoped he could develop Telia’s optimism.

***

“Wait, wait,” Yoshi said, on a laugh, holding out his arms to keep his balance on the papyrus long floating chair on the water. Sema threatened to join him, and if Yoshi didn’t have his balance, they would both topple into the pool.

Sema grinned at him and jumped, his feet landing perfectly on the chair. For a split second, they stood in perfect balance, then their combined weight proved too much. The long chair sunk into the water and they both lost their footing. The splash they made had the three Black Guards watching over Yoshi rushing to the edges of the pool.

Yoshi rose up to the surface with a happy laugh, Sema in his arms, water dripping down their faces.

“You’re a brave young boy,” Yoshi declared, waving off the worried Black Guards.

“I’m always brave.”

Yoshi let go of Sema and watched him somersault in the water. Sema’s carefree attitude was refreshing. Yoshi smiled when Sema grinned at him and continued to do more, laughing when Sema made a funny face to make him laugh.

***

Pipa walked into her private oasis in time to see Sema clinging to The Empire’s Heir shoulders as they played in the water. She stood frozen, her gaze not missing the three black guards who circled the pool, concern on their faces. Caught between anxiety and fear, she winced when Sema gripped the gold clip holding the Prince’s hair. Then the Prince laughed and she looked at Sando.

“Don’t worry,” Sando said. “If the Prince was irritated, the Black Guard would have the boy.”

Pipa followed Sando, not sure his statement was assuring.

Sando picked up towel from a small table and held it in his hand as he approached the pool.

Yoshi looked at Sando with a wide smile.

“Sando, the boy is hungry,” Yoshi said. “Let’s find him more food. What an endless pit. He came to me eating a bun and his stomach is already growling.”

“Right away,” Sando said, nodding to one of the Black Guards. The guard hurried out of the oasis garden.

“Pipa!” Sema exclaimed as Yoshi helped him climb off his shoulders. Sema swam to the edge of the pool and climbed out. “Pipa, Yoshi is so much fun. Why didn’t you tell me we had a guest here?”

“Sema!” Pipa gasped at her brother addressing the Prince by his name. Was that allowed?

Clutching Sema’s arm, she pulled him to her and bowed to the Prince.

“Please forgive my brother’s enthusiasm. He is young still and doesn’t understand protocol,” Pipa said. “Your Royal Highness.”

Sema stopped squirming and turned to look at Yoshi in shock.

“You’re the Prince?”

Yoshi wiped his hand down his face to remove excess water.

“She spoiled it,” Yoshi said, his tone full of disappointment.

Pipa wondered if she’d botched her attempts to talk for her people even before they started.

“Stop making her feel bad,” Sando said, his tone teasing. “Come out of the water, you look like a drowned cat.”

Pipa lifted her head, shocked that the Prince’s Chamberlain would dare talk to him this way.

“Come on, Sando, can’t we have some more fun? I really like playing with Sema.”

“My Prince, you’re our very important person,” Sando pointed out. “Many are waiting on your very important decisions. Please come out of the water.”

Yoshi sighed and dived under the water, refusing to come out until the two remaining Black Guards got nervous. When Yoshi appeared again, he was at the edge right next to Sando. He held out his hand to Sando and came out of the water in one graceful motion. Sando wrapped the heavy towel around him and Yoshi used it to wipe his face.

The missing black guard returned, followed by two women from the kitchens. They carried food for the Prince and Sema. Sando moved behind Yoshi to wring water out of his hair. Yoshi left the towel draped around his shoulders.

“Sema, aren’t you hungry?” Yoshi smiled at her brother and nodded to the food laid out on the side table by the pool. It was a clear invitation. Ignoring it would be rude, so Pipa squeezed her brother’s shoulders and pushed him toward the table.

Sema grinned, his enthusiasm returning as he climbed on to the chair. Yoshi joined her brother, accepting a goblet of water from his chamberlain. No doubt tested for poisons before the prince could consume it. Pipa stood still, unsure what her role in this scene could be.

The Prince looked relaxed, happy, as he joked with Sema. Her serious conversation would be out of place…

“Aren’t you hungry?” Yoshi glanced at her, his gaze inviting.

“Royal Highness—

“Please, drop the formalities,” Yoshi said, his tone mild, glancing at Sando, he gave his chamberlain a short nod.

Sando stopped inspecting food, and hurried to her side.

“My Lady, please let’s have a quiet meal. The Prince invites you.”

Pipa gave Sando a nervous glance. He winked at her and urged her to the table.

She sat beside her excited brother who was busy eating sweet cakes.

“Your home is beautiful,” Yoshi said, sipping his water. “I was always wary of coming to Dwind, because of Lilind.”

“Most people are,” Sema said. “They are afraid she’ll cover them in sand.”

Yoshi chuckled, then when Sema lifted his head to look at the Prince, the chuckle turned into a full-blown laugh. Crumbs decorated Sema’s cheeks.

“This kid,” Sando mumbled under his breath.

“What? You don’t appreciate enthusiasm, Sando?” Yoshi asked. He reached out and took a sweet cake from Sema’s plate. He popped it into his mouth to Sando’s horror and chewed it with relish.

“Life should be enjoyed,” Yoshi said sipping his water, he pointed at Sema. “Like that.”

Pipa reached out trying to wipe off Sema’s cheeks, but it was useless. He left her no way to save face, eating like a child who had never seen food. She sighed.

“You came to tell me something,” Yoshi said, his gaze on the scenery around them. The trees growing by the high wall, the clear sky above, so blue it reminded him of the ocean. He closed his eyes and tilted his head back letting the sun warm his face.

Pipa gave Sando another nervous glance only to have the chamberlain scowl at her.

“Why won’t you talk?” Sema bumped her right arm and she gave up being dignified.

“My Lady,” Yoshi said, not looking at her. “Be at ease, I promise I don’t bite.”

“Your Royal Highness,” Pipa said. “I apologize, I have not had many chances to interact with you. The few times I’ve been face to face with a member of your family, it was with Her Majesty, the Empress. She is—

Pipa broke off, unable to admit that the Empress got her tongue-tied.

“She is intimidating,” Yoshi finished. He opened his eyes and looked at her. “She practices in the mirror.”

Sema laughed at the abrupt confession, and Pipa stared at the prince wondering if it was a joke, or a serious explanation.

Yoshi’s gaze slid to Sema, and a smile graced his lips.

Pipa decided the prince had a very interesting youthful side.

“I apologize for your reception. The pit is a place one like you should never have seen.”

“Those are matters Lilind and I shall settle,” Yoshi said. “The pit is a place I could not avoid, judging from past history. I have much to ask of your people. One small fight is little price.”

“Your Royal Highness,” Pipa gaped, bowing her head. “We seek no price for the good of the Empire.”

“What you seek is recognition,” Yoshi stated. “Your clan lives as though forgotten, with no voice in a changing world. Lady Pipa, I would imagine the fire burning inside you might be hotter than the inferno I rendered in Lilind’s desert.”

“It is,” Pipa agreed. “Your Royal Highness, I’m caught between trying to please you to win your favor and taking a hard line. Our army is ready to join your forces, but this Citadel needs the support of the Capital.”

“Not support,” Yoshi said, one brow raised. He nodded to Sema, and smirked. “Your brother is brave, and spirited. There are many others like him in this Citadel. Young boys to grow into strong brave men. What you require, Lady Pipa is not support, but partnership. Only then will your Citadel spread its wings and fly.”

“An Empire governed by a strong Royal House would dare offer partnership to a small clan like mine?”

“Oh, but you have it wrong, My Lady,” Yoshi said, pushing his goblet of water away. “Partnerships make our family strong. The Empress has never ruled with domination, and neither will I.”

Pipa felt relief flood her as she held the Prince’s gaze.

“The Citadel has a hundred thousand fighters,” Pipa said. “They will join your allied forces, Your Royal Highness. The Klud will stand with you and the House of Taimeng.”

Yoshi gave her a slight nod.

“When the empire prevails, we promise to improve commerce policies so that Dwind may also prosper. Better commerce will open your borders, Pipa of the Klud, and give you the opportunities you seek for your people.

“Are you really the Prince?” Sema asked, when they both fell silent.

Yoshi turned his attention to her brother.

“I am Prince, yes.”

“I’ve never had a friend who was a Prince. I visit my friends all the time. Does that mean I get to visit Lexin City and see the Palace?”

Yoshi smiled. Pipa felt her heart lurch in her chest. The Prince’s smile was devastating.

“If the gods will it, young Sema. Perhaps you might meet the Empress herself,” Yoshi said.

“I would really love that!” Sema exclaimed. “Then I can see if she really practices her scowls in the mirror.”

Yoshi laughed, while Pipa reached for a sweet cake and stuffed it into her brother’s mouth. Why the boy had no idea what he was talking about.

***

“You’re awake one day, and already so many people want your time. Yoshi, I wish you would rest more,” Midori complained that afternoon.

Yoshi leaned back against Midori, conscious of the arm around his waist as they rode Midori’s stallion, Midnight.

They explored the vibrant oasis on the outskirts of the Citadel, the many trees physically planted for shade, offered them the privacy they both craved. Still, Midori was aware of the two black guards who followed them at a discrete distance. Tai’s gift. Yoshi could never be truly alone.

“Stop worrying about me,” Yoshi answered, placing a hand over his. “Thank you for getting me out here for a ride. I’m afraid Sando is going to over stuff me with food and herbal medicines.”

“You meet with Lilind later and then we leave for Lexin City,” Midori said. “Sando is concerned for your health. You have pushed your body to the limits.”

Yoshi sneaked a glance at his lover. “I’m doing fine, Midori. I’m a Prince after all. I should handle this much.”

Midori sighed and buried his face into Yoshi’s shoulder. Midnight slowed his pace, and Midori breathed in Yoshi’s clean scent.

This peace, he savored it, as once they reached Lexin City, there would be none. Once Yoshi started the fight to reach the palace, Midori feared this bond they’d forged would suffer great, damaging threats. The biggest threat being The Empress of Amana, Her Imperial Majesty Almira Taimeng.

***

2012 lilansui
  • Like 22
  • Love 8
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Amazing, well worth the wait (although that doesn't mean I don't expect the next one sooner :-P)

It's great to have such a bowl of fresh air and mirth. Although I'd say sema seems to be 13 more than 16.

And your descriptions and mood setting remain impeccable. Let's ruffle a few more of Sando's feathers along the way. :-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/18/2017 at 4:45 PM, Ang3l said:

Amazing, well worth the wait (although that doesn't mean I don't expect the next one sooner :-P)

It's great to have such a bowl of fresh air and mirth. Although I'd say sema seems to be 13 more than 16.

And your descriptions and mood setting remain impeccable. Let's ruffle a few more of Sando's feathers along the way. :-)

This story is always so liberating to write.  I break all the rules here, so glad you love it still.  I should dedicate a few weeks to this now and see where His Royal Highness and Sando take me.  Poor Sando, he just can't get a break from the Prince...:gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

:worship: and I finally arrive to one of your in progress stories. Now that the assassin is over, I hope this is the one you are going to post regularly, it is such a good story, so different from what I normally read here:) I like that the plot is not so much about their relationship, and that their love happens on the background to a fantasy setory. 

Now commenting the actual story, Tai could have told more to the Empress, that Midori save the Prince life several times, and that they love each other. Divisions between the Empress and the Prince is the last thing the Empire need.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am caught up now and looking forward to reading more soon. Thank you.

I enjoy your writing very much.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..