Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 2,818 Words
  • 3,657 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

That Dog, Young Jae - 7. Chapter 7

**~~~****~~~**

Love has no ethics,

And

It has no teacher…

A Gentleman’s Dignity

**~~****~~~**

7

Min paused for a minute right outside the ball room when they got to the hotel. He turned to look at Lara and smiled. She was nervous; she kept clenching her free hand like and shaking her fingers out. She breathed out nervous energy and he bit his lip to keep from laughing. Young Jae was right; he’d judged Lara too harshly. Young Jae was always right, he thought.

He stopped right by the entrance and placed steady hands on Lara’s slender shoulders. She glanced at him. He met her dark eyes and gave her the best smile he had.

“Don’t lower your head for anyone. They should give you the respect, and if it’s not earned, they don’t deserve it. You have every right to be here.” He waited for her to nod in agreement before he squeezed her shoulders. “The answer to any insipid questions from the elders is always, ‘Yes, you’re right.’ I’m done with my pep talk; the rest is sink or swim. You’ll do fine, Lara.”

“You’re such a winning character.” Lara placed her hand on his elbow and shivered slightly. “Do you ever get used to it?”

“I got indifferent.” Min confessed turning to meet her anxious gaze. “Don’t worry, Lara. Once we walk in together, whatever wagging tongues you’re afraid of will be chasing after you.”

“Easy for you to say,” Lara said as he started for the entrance door. “What would you do if I turned and ran right now?”

“Send Young Jae to find you and take you home,” Min answered with a shrug.

“You’re so practical.” Lara chuckled and that was the picture the guests saw when they walked in.

Min walked with confidence, his half-sister graceful and beautiful beside him. There was no mistaking that she was his sister. She clung to his arm tightly as they walked in. Yuna met them once they were inside and she grinned.

“I have to get a picture, you two look great.” Yuna exclaimed with cultured enthusiasm. “Mingle, Min, make sure you bid on the items displayed on the stands. We’re going to need support if we’re fighting Yul. He’s been lobbying around, hoping to get support to vote you out. I’m ready to throw him out of the building.”

Min sighed, Lara fidgeted, and he glanced at her. Her gaze was fixed on a group of young women who stood in a loose circle a few feet away. He narrowed his eyes at the looks they were giving her.

Omma, if you’ll excuse me for a moment. I have something to take care of.” He gave his mother a short bow and patted Lara’s hand. “Why don’t you introduce me to your friends?”

“They aren’t my friends.” Lara’s tone was cold, hiding anger. She shook her head when he started to lead them toward the curious women. “Please, Min. I don’t want to talk to them.”

“Come on now, it would be rude if the Jun family didn’t welcome all their guests.” Min led her firmly to the loose circle, a charming smile pasted on his lips. “Good evening ladies, I hope you’re enjoying yourselves.”

“Mr. Jun,” one of them, a skinny model type with brown hair, said. “How are you? And where did you get her?”

Her tone was condescending as she nodded at Lara. Her eyes rolling around, sizing up Lara’s dress, it was a malicious glance. He squeezed Lara’s hand gently.

“She’s my sister.” He frowned as he looked at the brown haired model. “Who are you again?”

“I’m Ling Saito,” she declared with a wide smile. “I work at Hanje Design as a model. We met last year at a fashion show.”

“I don’t remember.” Min looked to the young woman standing beside the model. “What about you?”

She blinked glancing at Ling, clearly nervous about her answer. “I work with Ling at Hanje Design as well. My name is Nana.”

Min raised a brow and turned to smile at Lara. “I think I might be going senile here. I don’t remember them at all. We’ll have to talk to the director and see if they’re still on the payroll.”

Oppa,” Lara said glancing at the girls who were nervously looking at each other. “I’m sure they wouldn’t be lying to you. They probably hold smaller positions so you haven’t met them.”

Min turned to Ling and gave her a warning look. “I’m sure you’re right, Lara. Ladies, this is my dongsaeng. Treat her well; she is very good to me. I rely on her to keep me informed. Please do enjoy the gala. Come on, Lara, I think I need a drink.”

They walked away from the ladies and Lara chuckled under her breath. “You are so cool, Oppa.”

“They look like trouble. Are you sure you want to be their friend?” Min asked as they intercepted a waiter. He took two champagne flutes and handed one to Lara. “They’ll seek you out.”

“I can handle it. I just needed the backing.” Lara sipped her champagne and glanced around the room casually. “I know we haven’t been close.” She returned her gaze to him and Min read anxiety as she continued. “I’d really love it if you meant what you said to them.”

“I said a lot of things.” Min narrowed his gaze. “Which part do you want to know about?”

“The part where you called me your dongsaeng,” Lara said quietly. “I don’t care about the status; I just want us to be siblings.”

“We are,” Min assured her. He gave her a wide smile. “Be warned, I’ll pinch you if you start acting out around me today. I’m very skilled at that.”

Lara laughed. “You can try to pinch me. I don’t think it will work. I’m too cute to hurt.”

She fluttered her eyes at him and he sighed with an exaggerated roll of his eyes. “You wish kiddo.”

She teased him for a few minutes. They mingled with the guests; Min introduced Lara as his little sister to everyone he talked to. She clung to his right arm. Her hold trusting as they worked the room. He found he liked the funny comments she made every time they moved away from the many people who wanted a word with him. She kept him smiling which was hard to do. An hour and a half passed by so fast he was surprised when she led him to the buffet insisting she was hungry.

“I want something sweet,” Lara said as they stood by the buffet table looking over the food. “It all looks so delicious; I might just pile my plate. Wouldn’t you like to see that Ling’s face at the sight?”

She laughed and he smiled at her comments. She glanced at him and held out a grape to him. “Oppa should smile more. It looks good on you.”

He took the grape and popped into his mouth. “I’ve never had a reason to smile at these galas. It’s usually so boring, thank you for making it so much fun.”

She smiled at him and continued getting food. He reached for another grape and chanced a glance at the entrance into the ballroom in time to see Young Jae walk out of the room. Min frowned when he saw his Uncle, Yul, slip out of the ball room after Young Jae. He turned to Lara.

“Will you be alright alone?” he asked her.

“Go ahead,” she nodded to the door. Her forehead was creased with concern; she’d obviously seen the same thing he had. “I’ll be fine.”

He gave her a grateful smile and hurried out after Young Jae.

***********************************************************************

“Things are not going as planned.” Yul paced the small hotel dining room his gaze hard. “You’re not doing your part, Young Jae. Min is gaining momentum. He won over Mr. Rio’s approval. That’s not good.”

“I’m out, Yul.” Young Jae declared quietly. He stood staring out the windows of the dining room. The dark night below twinkled with street lights and car head lights. “I don’t care about the stakes anymore.”

“You can’t back out.” Yul’s tone was cruel. “I warned you. I still hold the title to your mother’s house. Her debts will be called in and she’ll be homeless.”

“Keep it.” Young Jae turned to look at Yul. “I’ll pay the debt when I can. I’m not going to betray Min Ho anymore.”

“What is this? What is he giving you that you’ve done an about face? You hated him a month ago.” Yul scoffed. “Is he giving it up? We all know he’s queer. His type is not fit to run a company.”

Young Jae felt hot anger rise up and he glared at Yul. “Don’t ever talk about Jun Min Ho like that. You’re not good enough to even utter his name. You disgust me. He’s your family, but look at you. You’re doing your best to give him a hard time.”

“He might be my family,” Yul said quietly, “but I’m not the one who’s betrayed my lover. It makes sense, this change of yours. You’re in love with him, aren’t you?”

Young Jae sighed and turned away from the despicable man. “It’s none of your business.”

“Oh but it is,” Yul said with a sick smile in his words. “If you don’t want it plastered on the papers tomorrow morning, you’ll do exactly as I say.”

“Are you blackmailing me?” Young Jae narrowed his gaze at Yul. “I won’t let you use me to hurt Min any longer.”

“I don’t think you have a choice,” Yul replied. He rubbed his hands together and moved to take a seat at the dining table. “The board is meeting in two days. They’re going to be voting on Min’s progress. I want a negative response and you’re going to help me get it.”

Young Jae was about to speak when he glanced up in time to find Min standing at the entrance of the dining room. Behind Min, Yuna and Mr. Rio stood watching them. His gaze returned to Min, and the stab of pain in his chest at the betrayal he read there destroyed him.

“Is this what you’ve been up to, Yul?” Mr. Rio asked moving around Min to enter the private dining room. “You’re blackmailing and lobbying to get your son on the top seat. Assembly man Kang was right. You are beyond low.”

“I wish you’d stop meddling with family affairs,” Yul said his tone dripping with disgust. “I don’t care what kind of power you have with the board. My son should be the C.E.O. instead of that light weight standing at the door.”

“I think your days with Hanje are over.” Mr. Rio turned to look at Young Jae. “I’m sorry son, but yours are too. Min Ho deserves better from a chief assistant.”

Yuna moved to place hands on Min’s shoulders and Young Jae sighed. “You’re right, I’ll be gone. However, before I leave, I’d love the opportunity to help clear up Mr. Min Ho’s reputation. I’ll take responsibility for the striking workers.”

“Young Jae,” Yuna gasped her hands gripping Min’s stiff shoulders tightly.

“Please, Mr. Rio.” Young Jae ignored Yul’s scoff and turned to look at Min. “I want to make things right.”

“That decision is Min Ho’s.” Mr. Rio turned to look at Min. “I’m glad you called me when you did. We would have never known there was a problem among us. I promise that the board will make the right decision the day after tomorrow. I’ll handle Yul’s situation personally.”

Min dragged his gaze away from Young Jae and forced a slight smile for Mr. Rio. “Thank you for helping.”

“Hanje Security will want to talk to Young Jae.” Mr. Rio nodded for Yuna to go get the head of security. “Yul, come with me.”

Yul followed Mr. Rio out of the private dining room. When he was passing Min, Yul stopped and gave him a hateful look. “This is not over. The moment you make a mistake, I’ll be waiting to pounce. I will get my son what he deserves.”

Min narrowed his gaze and looked at Yul. “I’ll be waiting for your first move. Next time, I won’t be blindsided again. I’m a very fast learner, Uncle. I hope you remember that.”

Yul sneered and followed Mr. Rio out of the dining room. Young Jae watched Min stand at the door in shock. Min’s eyes turned cold as he walked into the private dining room and closed the door he’d deliberately left open.

“What is going on?” Min demanded the moment the door closed. “Why were you talking to Uncle Yul?”

“I thought you heard him.” Young Jae shrugged. “I’ve been on his payroll this whole time.”

Min shook his head. “You pushed me to stand up to his bullying. What have you been doing all day? Is this a game, Young Jae? I’m not in the mood right now for one of your weird tests. Were you tricking Yul so that Mr. Rio would find out what he’s doing?”

Young Jae stilled his heart against the pain he was feeling at Min’s words. The truth was always better and as much as Min was giving him a chance to be free, he couldn’t avoid it. “I was working with Yul. This is no trick. He is blackmailing my family.”

“Blackmailing your family?” Min frowned and stepped forward to press the palm of his hand against the table. He lowered his head. “What about the fountain, and the kisses, did you do it all to gain my trust?”

“All of it was a sham.” Young Jae kept his tone flat. It was better to get this out of the way and leave Min in peace. He would make sure that there were no more problems for Min. “I did it to protect my family, but it’s no excuse. You have to let me make a statement to the press.”

Min kept his head lowered. “Stop lying to me. You care about me.”

“I don’t.” Young Jae shrugged. “It was all a game, Min. You said it yourself, you don’t trust me the way your father does. You were right. I’m bad news. Let me go, Min.”

“If I help your family, will you stop this?” Min asked quietly. He raised his head and Young Jae gasped when he saw the glistening dark eyes. Min looked ready to cry, his heart on his sleeve. Why did he have to make this so hard?

“It doesn’t matter.” Young Jae lowered his gaze unable to look into Min’s eyes. “I don’t think it will help the situation if I stay. It’s time for me to go. If I don’t, Yul is going to have more things to use against you.”

“I don’t care what Yul wants.” Min shook his head and waved his right hand impatiently. “I want you to say that you’ll stay.”

If he stayed, Min’s chances of being voted in were good, but the thought of Yul outing Min on the headlines, he couldn’t risk that. He bit his lip to keep the pain at bay and glanced at Min. “You’re just a kid, Min. You have no clue what you want. You’re not my type.”

Min gasped silently. He held on to the table for a moment longer before he straightened up. His gaze hard, he took a step back from the table and adjusted his coat. “Fine, have it your way. Do what you want with the conference. I don’t care.”

He turned to leave and Young Jae drunk in the sight of Min greedily. He would have wanted to know how it felt to hold Min through the night. He wished he could see what that handsome face looked like in the throes of passion. Min reached for the door and paused. For a minute, he thought that Min might be calling his bluff; he wished Min was really calling his bluff. It would be so easy to discard this path he was choosing.

Min clung to the door handle and spoke. “I read somewhere that, ‘love has no ethics and it has no teacher’. I never understood what those words meant until now.” He turned back to glance at Young Jae for a moment. “It hurts to admit it because you don’t want me, but, I love you, Young Jae.”

Min opened the door and left the room without another word. Young Jae let out a long shaky sigh at the thought of that quiet declaration. Jun Min Ho, the annoying spoiled rich brat, turned into serious business man, had just declared he loved him. He was an idiot, Young Jae thought.

“I’m an idiot,” he whispered quietly to the empty room.

2012, lilansui
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm so glad that Yul was caught in his web of deceit, but how sad that Young Jae took the martyr's path. I think that I can understand a part of his motivation: he was afraid of what outing Min might do. I do not think that Yul will stop from outing Min, however, just because Young Jae is walking away from Min (or at least trying to do so). Are there aspects of Korean culture and ethics of honor that feed into his decision?

I have to say that this story is becoming as much a favorite of mine as Electric Blue and Catnip -- although no title compares to EB&C!

 

PS: I do hope that Young Jae and Min can find a path toward coming back together. They make an awesome team, and I continue to think that Lara's perceptions about people will make a great addition to the business aspect of their team -- and if they do get back together, I suspect Lara will have a hand in it. Thanks, lilansui!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay so i admit..after bovian image and electric blue and catnip, this story is an addition in my fav stories. This was the best chapter of this story and i loved that phrase 'love has no ethics and it has no teacher', amazing..as usual sui, you rockks:-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Excellent job with this chapter! You ended it at the perfect place. I am very proud of you for this work. The story is moving along so nicely. Yay for Min telling Young Jae that he loves him. Now they can figure out together how to fix his family problems. They are really making a good foundation for a relationship. Min is growing into a fine man. I was also glad to see Lara show herself a little bit and now we know that she is more than what she seemed. I can't wait for the next chapter. Hopefully those two get it together.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am so glad that Min planted some confidence into Lara, and learned to enjoy her as a sister. Their idle chatter was so nice and sweet, making life easier for the both of them.

 

Young Jae is taking on a lot of blame that he does not have to, but I think he is ashamed of what he has done. Even though he was blackmailed by Yul, he cannot fogive his actions enough to tell Min his true feelings.

 

But, thank goodness Min manned up and admitted his feelings, and I think he will eventually make Young Jae do the same.

 

Awesome chapter girl!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2012 11:56 PM, hillj69 said:
I'm so glad that Yul was caught in his web of deceit, but how sad that Young Jae took the martyr's path. I think that I can understand a part of his motivation: he was afraid of what outing Min might do. I do not think that Yul will stop from outing Min, however, just because Young Jae is walking away from Min (or at least trying to do so). Are there aspects of Korean culture and ethics of honor that feed into his decision?

I have to say that this story is becoming as much a favorite of mine as Electric Blue and Catnip -- although no title compares to EB&C!

 

PS: I do hope that Young Jae and Min can find a path toward coming back together. They make an awesome team, and I continue to think that Lara's perceptions about people will make a great addition to the business aspect of their team -- and if they do get back together, I suspect Lara will have a hand in it. Thanks, lilansui!

Young Jae wanting to protect Min, might have something to do with his own honor code, mostly because he does care for Min and so feels its the only way to beg for forgiveness for betraying Min. So, ethics of honor did feed into that decision. As for culture, reputation is very important especially in such big business, Min must constantly keep a good reputation in business circles, having a scandal is frowned upon. ^_^

 

I love your comments they make my day, I've gone and written a full on reply here. Glad you love it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 12:14 AM, sacredlove said:
Okay so i admit..after bovian image and electric blue and catnip, this story is an addition in my fav stories. This was the best chapter of this story and i loved that phrase 'love has no ethics and it has no teacher', amazing..as usual sui, you rockks:-)
Hi Sacred, it's awesome to see your comments on this story. I'm so excited about that. Someone actually told me about that phrase, and I just had to have Min say it, so I'm glad that worked out.

Thanks, Sacred!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 12:54 AM, Carrie76 said:
Excellent job with this chapter! You ended it at the perfect place. I am very proud of you for this work. The story is moving along so nicely. Yay for Min telling Young Jae that he loves him. Now they can figure out together how to fix his family problems. They are really making a good foundation for a relationship. Min is growing into a fine man. I was also glad to see Lara show herself a little bit and now we know that she is more than what she seemed. I can't wait for the next chapter. Hopefully those two get it together.
Thank you Carrie!!

It's fun to see a character grow, and I'm glad that is coming out so well. I hope the last and final chapter will be just as good for you. Cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 02:10 AM, joann414 said:
I am so glad that Min planted some confidence into Lara, and learned to enjoy her as a sister. Their idle chatter was so nice and sweet, making life easier for the both of them.

 

Young Jae is taking on a lot of blame that he does not have to, but I think he is ashamed of what he has done. Even though he was blackmailed by Yul, he cannot fogive his actions enough to tell Min his true feelings.

 

But, thank goodness Min manned up and admitted his feelings, and I think he will eventually make Young Jae do the same.

 

Awesome chapter girl!!!

Jo Ann,

 

You got Young Jae right on! I'm writing the final chapter to this, it's been so fun I don't want to let it go. :) But, I think Min and Young Jae have earned their ending,can't wait to see what you think!! Thanks for the review.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved what Min did for Lara with those girls the looks on their faces would have been priceless. I'm also glad that Yul's trickery was uncovered, I'm just sorry that Young Jae will take the brunt of it. I understand why he did it but I think he is the one that needs to put faith in Min now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2013 07:05 AM, Daithi said:
I loved what Min did for Lara with those girls the looks on their faces would have been priceless. I'm also glad that Yul's trickery was uncovered, I'm just sorry that Young Jae will take the brunt of it. I understand why he did it but I think he is the one that needs to put faith in Min now.
Young Jae was being a knight, makes him so easy to love right...lol. You're absolutely right about Young Jae putting his faith in Min. Truth might have spared him this moment...:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..