Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,073 Words
  • 3,733 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

That Dog, Young Jae - 6. Chapter 6

Life, is

A matter of choices,

Nothing is forced.

6

“Twice in one day, Jun Min Ho.” Yuna stared at him her eyes wide with mock surprise. “Are you back to complain some more? Or, wait, I know. You’re here to make Lara cry some more.”

Min sighed. “I need to talk to you.”

Yuna stared at him for a moment before she shook her head and walked away from him. He stood in the living room confused when she went out into the hallway. He’d never gone beyond the living room in this house.

“Are you coming?” Yuna called in the hallway. “I have to make Lara some lunch.”

Min frowned and followed her. He paused in the hallway when he saw Young Jae seated at a small table typing away on his laptop. He’d never realized that the man actually waited for him in the house. Young Jae glanced up casually and winked at him. He smiled. Young Jae frowned and urged him to follow his mother with a small nod toward the end of the hallway. Min sighed.

The door at the end of the hallway led him into a large spacious kitchen. Yuna stood at a counter cutting up bananas.

“You’ve never been in this kitchen before.”

Min looked around the room. It was large, spacious but it had warmth in it. Warm colorful flowers in a blue vase stood at the kitchen table in the middle of the room. He pulled out a seat and sat down, leaning over to touch the texture of one daisy.

“Lara bought those yesterday.”

Min glanced up to find his mother watching him. She smiled and finished cutting up the bananas. She went to wash her hands at the sink and turned to him wiping her hands on a towel.

“Min, are you hungry? I can make you something to eat.” She offered shyly. “I’m not like the chef at Jun house of course but-

“I’d love some lunch,” Min said quickly.

“Great, we have some cold cuts from last night.” She hurried to the fridge and removed a plastic container. “You changed, are you going somewhere.”

Min glanced down at his black t-shirt, pants and white blazer. He smiled at the thought of shopping with Young Jae. “No, something came up. Omma, can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Yuna replied pleasantly.

“Why are you talking to the striking workers?” he asked quietly.

Yuna dropped the knife she was holding on the counter and sighed. “Can we not talk about Hanje Group for two minutes? I’d love it if you just sat there and acted like my son for a while instead of your father’s son.”

Min sighed. “I’m both, and you know it. I’m only asking because I want to help you, and Lara. Can’t you just answer my question?”

Yuna turned to look at him for a moment before she picked up her knife and continued making sandwiches. “I want to help them.”

“How,” Min asked confused. “Hanje Group controls the factory; you’d have to talk to me to help them. Why haven’t you?”

“I figured you’d come to me.” Yuna looked at him with a shrug. “I was right, here you are.”

Omma, please tell me the truth. You wouldn’t care about those workers if you didn’t think something was coming out of it.” Min sat back in his chair to study his mother. “Did you talk to Uncle Yul?”

“Your uncle visits us all the time.” Yuna put the sandwiches she was making on a plate and put the fruits in a bowl. “Do you want some coffee or juice?”

“Coffee is good. Also, if you don’t mind, can you give some of those to Young Jae? He’s not had anything all morning either.”

Yuna glanced at him in surprise but he ignored her raised brow. “Sure. Why are you asking about your uncle?”

He should have known that Yul would visit his mother on a regular basis. “What has he promised you?” The question spilled out before he could stop it.

Yuna glared at him and she would have started yelling if Young Jae didn’t choose that exact moment to knock on the door and walk in.

“I was hoping to disturb you for a cup of coffee, Ms. Yuna.” Young Jae smiled at his mother. “It’s been a long day, and I haven’t had much to eat.”

She looked at him and smiled. “I was just about to come get you, Young Jae. Have a seat while I make you a plate. While you’re here, talk to Min. Tell him that he has to learn to talk to his mother better. She would prefer to know more about him instead of talk business.”

Yuna headed to the counter. Min rolled his eyes and glanced at Young Jae with a frustrated glance. It wasn’t his fault that he couldn’t seem to talk to his mother without her losing her mind. Young Jae reached under the table and squeezed his knee gently.

“Min is like that.” Young Jae ignored his glance and focused on Yuna. “He worries a lot about things, so he focuses on the problems. Did you know he likes going to the musical fountain at the Han River Park? We just came from there. He got wet standing in the water, that’s why he changed clothes.”

“Young Jae,” Min gasped in shock. “That was private.”

“She’s your mother,” Young Jae said with a laugh. “You should have seen him. He looked like a drowned cat.”

“I’m no drowned cat.” Min protested reaching out to poke at Young Jae’s shoulder. “Don’t listen to him; he’s the one who pushed me in.”

Yuna laughed and Min glanced at her puzzled. “Why are you laughing?”

“I’ve never seen this side of you.” Yuna smiled taking the plates on the counter. She put one before Min and the other for Young Jae. “Young Jae, tell me more interesting things about our Min. He doesn’t like to open up often.”

Min frowned as Young Jae turned to Yuna. “He loves eating japchae. He’s always pestering the chef in the kitchen to make it for dinner. When he’s bored, he can be such a pain. He’ll do anything to get away from his security. A couple of months ago, he escaped his security to go play with his friends, just like a kid. I was very angry with him.”

“Shin, Jihu and Kaori,” Yuna said as she gave Young Jae his coffee. “I’ve only met them once. It was at his eighteenth birthday.”

“Yes,” Young Jae agreed. “They have gone abroad for a year. Our Min is a bit sad about that.”

“I’m sitting right here.” Min glared at Young Jae. “I’m not a kid.”

“You act like one sometimes.” Young Jae flashed him a smile. “Although, he’s surprisingly mature sometimes, today, he impressed Mr. Rio enough for the man to promise his support.”

“Mr. Rio is tough.” Yuna looked at Min, her eyes glowing with pride. “I’m glad our Min was able to win his trust.”

Min gaped in shock at the expression on his mother’s face. He’d never seen it before, it was even more surprising when she reached over and caressed his jaw gently. Yuna smiled and turned to Young Jae.

“When our Min was a kid, he used to get bullied by his cousins. He’d run to me crying because his older cousins were messing with him.” Yuna sighed. “I taught him to stand up to them. He was such a strong kid.”

Min frowned. He actually remembered that. Yul’s son, the one he wanted to make the C.E.O. had bullied him during family get-togethers. Yuna had gotten a hold of him once and threatened him with putting ants in his bed when he was sleeping. He laughed at the memory.

“I see you remember the ants.” Yuna smiled and shook her head. “Yul’s son is scared of insects. Our Min is stronger than that little twat.”

“If that is so, help him,” Young Jae said quietly. “The opposition being built up by Yul is damaging Min’s reputation. He needs your backing. Help him stand up to the bullying being done by Yul.”

“Yul has always been like that. He always wants to be better than his brother. He’s never been happy that Min’s father became a politician. He wants the respect but he doesn’t know how to get it.” Yuna leaned forward to look at Young Jae. “He has a tendency to abuse relationships. He burns bridges and blackmails people to get what he wants.”

Min’s gaze narrowed when Young Jae looked down at the table. For a moment, he could swear he saw guilt in those eyes. “Yul is not a good man.” Young Jae murmured.

“You’re right. Min,” Yuna said turning to look at him. “I have things I need to explain to you. Things you’ve probably wondered about for a long time.”

Young Jae pushed his chair back and stood up. “I’ll go back to my work. Ms. Yuna, thank you for the coffee and the sandwiches.”

“You’re welcome.” She waited for Young Jae to leave before she turned to look at Min. “I didn’t know what you were facing.”

“That is very hard to believe.” Min pushed his coffee away but Yuna frowned. “What is it?”

“Finish your food, son.” She ordered nodding to his full plate. “I’ll tell you why I left, while you eat.”

Min picked up a sandwich and took a bite. She got up and refreshed his coffee before she took a seat and sighed.

“Your father and I have had our differences, but I want you to know that I’ll always love you, Min.”

Min sipped his coffee slowly. “Then why did you leave?”

“I got married to your father when I was very young. There were things I wanted to do, but couldn’t while I played the role of the Hanje Group wife. Things weren’t very easy.”

“Why didn’t you take me with you?”

“You’re the first born, Min. Your position in this world was decided long before you were born.” Yuna shook her head in disappointment. “I tried to change that, but I lost my battle. I had to leave.”

“You could have written to me.” Min pointed out unable to understand why his mother would refuse to see him for eight years. Eight long years without a mother, he sighed. “I don’t think I’ll ever understand how you can leave your son behind.”

“I know it is hard forgiving me, but will you try, Min?” Yuna asked quietly. She reached out to touch his hand gently. “Please, Min. For the sake of your sister, she wants to know you.”

Min looked at her thinking about what Young Jae had told him earlier. “I can try, but I’m not promising anything.”

Yuna nodded. “I understand. I’ll win your trust. I’ll start with telling you why I talked to the workers. Yul is blackmailing me. He wants to tell everyone that Lara is not your father’s daughter. While that is true, the damage it would do to her standing in our social circle...” She sighed. “I had to protect Lara. Your father won’t bother with us, but we’re part of the Jun family, whether he likes it or not.”

“Why didn’t you call me?” Min asked quietly.

“I didn’t think you’d listen to me.” She sat back in her seat her gaze soft, she studied him. “You’re angry with me, and you’ve refused to talk to Lara. I didn’t know what else to do. I gave Yul what he wanted hoping that you’ll come see me.”

Min sipped his coffee thoughtfully. “Lara is at Hanje University?”

“Yes. Your father got her in. He is covering the costs for her Business degree.” Yuna gave him a small smile. “I didn’t think he would, considering she’s not his.”

Min nodded. “I’ll protect Lara.”

“Are you serious?” Yuna said her eyes lighting up. “You’ll get her into your circle of friends?”

“I’ll deal with it.” Min promised.

Yuna stood up and came to hug him. A cloud of sweet flower perfume filled his nostrils as she held him tight. “I knew I could count on you.”

Omma,” he protested when she let him go. She was grinning widely. “You still have to do something for me.”

“I’ll retract my statements. I’ll do whatever you want me to, Min,” she declared excitedly. “I’ll even help you. Yul is coming to the gala tonight. We can get him to admit what he’s doing in front of everyone.”

“That’s dangerous,” Min said shaking his head. “You can’t call him out like that. It’s too dangerous.”

“I don’t see another way. I will not step aside and wait for him to bully my son.” Yuna smiled at him. “You’ll always have me on your side, you know that right?”

************************************************************************

Young Jae adjusted his black tuxedo jacket and paced the length of the foyer. His hair was combed back neatly; he reached up to touch his bow tie. He had no idea why he was so nervous. This was just another gala; he’d gone to a million of them. He breathed out nerves and turned to pace back. He stopped when he found Lara standing in his way.

She was looking up at him with narrowed eyes. “Why are you nervous?”

“I’m not nervous.” Young Jae turned to keep pacing but she walked around.

She pressed a finger to his chest. She looked beautiful in a sparkling grey long dress. The fabric clung to her figure, skating down to her feet in a graceful wave. Her hair was pinned in intricate patterns on top of her head. It looked like she’d woven some silver glittering thread into the dark glossy curls.

“Is it because you’re taking Oppa out tonight?” Lara asked her strawberry coated lips curved into a smile. “Shouldn’t you be excited, you’ve been waiting for this forever?”

“What are you talking about kid?” Young Jae frowned at her. “You’re the one who should be excited. You’re about to officially enter the Seoul elite society. It’s not all the roses it’s cracked up to be.”

“I’m getting to spend an entire evening in Oppa’s company. That is all that matters. I think you feel the same way.” Lara shrugged her slender shoulder. “You like him don’t you?”

“So what if I like him?” Young Jae glared at her.

She laughed. “I don’t think I deserve that scowl from you, Young Jae Oppa. Are you sure you can handle the stress? He’s a bit high maintenance.”

“He’s Min.” Young Jae turned to keep pacing. Min was the reason why this gala was so difficult. He’d been thinking about it all evening but there was no other way to sort this out. Min needed to protect his interests. He turned to look at Lara. He thought about Yuna. The Assembly man had put his trust in his son for a reason, to reduce the pressure on his own political ambitions. Everyone was protecting what they cared about. It was time he did the same.

“Young Jae Oppa,” Lara reached out to touch his elbow.

He lifted a brow in question but she nodded up the stairs. He followed her gaze to find Min walking down the stairs. He took in a deep breath and stared. His Min looked gorgeous tonight. He was in a white suit jacket with black lapels and black pants. His hair combed back neatly showed off Min’s handsome face. Min adjusted his cuffs as he walked down, the light sparkling off a small silver earring on his left ear. Young Jae smiled. It looked as though Min was getting ready for battle. He only put on jewelry to disarm people.

“He looks handsome,” Lara said beside him. “Be sure to tell him.”

Young Jae scowled at her as she went to meet Min. “Ah, Lara, you look lovely.” Min greeted her with a short glance at her. “Are you ready for tonight?”

“I’ve been waiting forever.” Lara turned to look at him and winked. “Don’t you think Young Jae Oppa looks great tonight?”

Min glanced at him, stopping in his tracks. It was hard not to appreciate that hot gaze giving him a slow thorough perusal. He waited until their gazes collided to smile at Min.

Min blushed and looked away with a small cough. “Of course he does,” Min answered Lara.

“You look handsome too.” Young Jae complimented with a satisfied smile.

“Where is mother?” Min asked his sister.

“She’s already at the venue.” Lara clutched his right arm. “She said the young people should arrive together.”

Min nodded and turned to him. “If you’re ready, we can go.”

Young Jae was about to start for the door when Lara pulled away from Min. “Give me a moment; I’ll just get my purse.” She looked at him discretely and winked. The little wicked romantic, Young Jae sighed at her antics as she hurried away determined to give them privacy.

“That girl,” Min sighed and turned to him. “My mother wants to confront Yul tonight. I told her not to, but she seems to have a mind of her own. It’s quite inconvenient.”

Young Jae chuckled at the comment. It was so typical of Min he couldn’t help it. “Humans tend to think for themselves, Min.”

Min shrugged. “It doesn’t mean it’s good for them.”

Young Jae nodded and closed the distance between them. He placed a hand on Min’s jaw, caressing him gently before he sighed. “Min, I have something I need to do tonight.”

“What is it?” Min asked looking up into his eyes.

Young Jae stared into the trusting dark eyes. He drank in the heat, the budding love he could see in there. He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on Min’s jaw.

“Whatever happens tonight, I need you to know something.” He let his hand drop to Min’s shoulder and took in a deep breath. He let it out slowly and smiled. “You’re the best part of Hanje, Min.”

“What’s wrong, Young Jae?” Min asked with a frown. “Is there a problem?”

Young Jae shook his head and pulled him into a tight hug. “No, I’ve taken care of it. Promise to have fun tonight. You deserve it.”

Min’s arms went around him slowly before he nodded. “I promise.”

************************************************************************

em>japchae - Korean Stir fried noodles w/ vegetables. Here's a recipe. Very good shtuff :2thumbs:
2012, lilansui
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/30/2012 11:55 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Gah. Young Jae is going to fall on his sword for Min! Noooooo! Save him Min!
I feel yah, hopefully Min will see the SOS on time. Thanks for the review.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

OH, Min and his mom mend fences, he and Lara are getting along, and now Young Jae is going to disappoint or maybe hurt him. I hope not. The chemistry between the two is beautiful, and you write these two characters beautifully. Thankx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 02:48 AM, joann414 said:
OH, Min and his mom mend fences, he and Lara are getting along, and now Young Jae is going to disappoint or maybe hurt him. I hope not. The chemistry between the two is beautiful, and you write these two characters beautifully. Thankx
I actually love writing for Min and Young Jae. I feel like I can do anything with them, no restrictions, so I just write and post it as it comes. :) Glad you love them, Joann. Thanks for the review.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Obviously there will be trouble, but of what kind? I don't have a clue. You're keeping it exciting :) good chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think it will turn out ok. A tasty recipe today! Yay. That always adds to the story. I am now wondering if we misjudged his mom or if she is up to no good. Hmmm. I can't wait to see now. Oh boy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many threads to weave in order for the cloth to turn out right. I'm glad to see Min connecting with his mom and step-sister. She clearly adores him almost as much as Young Jae although in a different way. She's obviously quite perceptive, and her ability to understand the people could be a great complement to Min's analytic abilities in running the company -- if he allows himself to connect fully with her and his mom. Next chapter could be full of fireworks... Thanks, lilansui.thumbsup.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/02/2012 10:56 PM, hillj69 said:
So many threads to weave in order for the cloth to turn out right. I'm glad to see Min connecting with his mom and step-sister. She clearly adores him almost as much as Young Jae although in a different way. She's obviously quite perceptive, and her ability to understand the people could be a great complement to Min's analytic abilities in running the company -- if he allows himself to connect fully with her and his mom. Next chapter could be full of fireworks... Thanks, lilansui.thumbsup.gif
You're welcome. I'm glad it's all so much fun, I hope it keeps that way to the end. Thanks for the review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 09:17 AM, Carrie76 said:
I think it will turn out ok. A tasty recipe today! Yay. That always adds to the story. I am now wondering if we misjudged his mom or if she is up to no good. Hmmm. I can't wait to see now. Oh boy.
Mum is a fighter, can't wait to see what you think of the next chapter, Carrie. Glad you loved the recipe.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/31/2012 07:45 AM, ninecila said:
Obviously there will be trouble, but of what kind? I don't have a clue. You're keeping it exciting :) good chapter.
Ooh, I'm so happy to hear that. I love keeping readers in suspense and excited! Thanks for the review.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

"It’s not all the roses it’s cracked up to be.” thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Ok, I love mixed metaphors. They can be so funny.

The two expressions are:

It's not all wine and roses.

It's not what it's cracked up to be.

 

They are similar in meaning. Enjoying the story! thumbsup.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2012 12:19 PM, Conner said:
"It’s not all the roses it’s cracked up to be.” thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Ok, I love mixed metaphors. They can be so funny.

The two expressions are:

It's not all wine and roses.

It's not what it's cracked up to be.

 

They are similar in meaning. Enjoying the story! thumbsup.gif

Glad you loved that line, Conner. Thanks for the review.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Everything coming to a head. Considering that Lara doesn't see her Oppa that much she is a very insightful young women. Min overlooked the blackmail on his mother let's hope he does the same for Young Jae

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2013 06:51 AM, Daithi said:
Everything coming to a head. Considering that Lara doesn't see her Oppa that much she is a very insightful young women. Min overlooked the blackmail on his mother let's hope he does the same for Young Jae
Lara is grown up beyond her years.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..