Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,524 Words
  • 1,128 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Man I Like Might Be A Delinquent - 1. Chapter 1

Dr. Graysen endures Rapture’s Damage.

Dr. Axel Graysen sat on a concrete slab near the railing on the roof of the Wuga Hospital. Sipping orange juice from a bottle he filled at the cafeteria, he stared at the dark sky and the rising full moon gracing the Kingdom of Aeras with its brilliance tonight.

Their Capital City was going to be bright this Thursday night.

Veteran doctors at the Wuga Hospital insisted a full moon meant the Emergency Room would fill with the craziest medical emergencies. The weirdest medical situations cropped up, and the emergency department remained in a state of nonstop crisis until morning.

Axel once tried to disprove the theory, but experience soon proved the veterans right. He tried not to be on call during a full moon. That he was on call tonight was thanks to a series of events.

Axel shifted his gaze to the helipad platform on the other end of the building.

Three days ago, Dr. Brown, his Residency Professor, called Axel to receive a VIP patient. The patient arrived on a medic-helicopter, and it turned out to be the man responsible for building and establishing the Wuga Hospital in the Capital City, Mr. Chae Wook.

Chae Wook was presenting with acute abdominal pain on arrival.

Axel agreed to give Chae Wook emergency care until his attending doctor, Dr. Raff, arrived at the hospital. He completed all admission procedures and settled Mr. Wook in the private wing on the top floor of the building. Yisu Wook, Mr. Wook’s only son, added excitement when he hugged Axel hard in gratitude. He thanked Axel for managing his father’s pain levels.

When Dr. Raff arrived an hour later, Axel was free to return to his usual final year of residency existence.

Axel completed his last year of a six-year integrated cardiothoracic residency at the Wuga Hospital. However, it was nice to see Dr. Raff's world and maybe want a bit of it for himself.

Dr. Brown was his residency mentor and a professor he admired thoroughly.

Axel was surprised to discover that Dr. Raff was Dr. Brown’s husband. He had been both embarrassed and impressed by the discovery.

Embarrassed because Dr. Brown was the one person he looked up to at Wuga Hospital. Dr. Brown helped him get through his residency and made him a better doctor. He should have known about Dr. Raff being his husband.

He was also impressed because it took extra work to keep a marriage going with their crazy, demanding lifestyle.

Axel could barely manage his personal life. He owned an apartment with three pieces of furniture: a couch gifted to him by his mother, a coffee table laden with research papers and medical journals, and a bed.

When Axel did make it home, depending on his level of tiredness, the farthest he got to was the couch. When he was lucid, his bed saw him. Those were the longest, most faithful relationships he had kept these past six years.

His dad managed his utilities and tiny investments. His mom had hired a fantastic woman who helped stock Axel’s apartment with groceries and pre-packaged meals. Now that he was nearing his residency’s end, his time was packed with board certifications and finding a great posting, preferably at the Wuga Hospital.

At what point could he think of adding in a husband?

Shaking his head, Axel sipped his orange juice and glanced at the time on his watch. He had two more minutes. Capping the bottle, Axel scratched the stubble on his chin and pushed off the slab. He walked back to the stairwell entrance and slowly walked down to the emergency department.

Axel had agreed to take on a night shift for one of the third-year residents in his group. He ran into her the night he returned to his desk from helping Dr. Raff. Her name was Ronnie, and she was very kind and hardworking. He was shocked to see her crying as she studied their schedule, so he tried to offer comfort. It turned out she was taking care of her mother, who suffered a traffic accident and was admitted to the hospital. Ronnie wanted to stay with her mother to get through surgery aftercare.

Axel agreed to help by taking one of her shifts. He tried to be kind to his co-workers where he could. This was why he had ended up with a full-moon night at the emergency department. He was exhausted from a long day and had needed a ten-minute break on the roof before he tackled time in the emergency department.

Drinking the last of his orange juice, Axel took the last set of stairs and opened the door that would lead him to the emergency floor.

“Dr. Graysen,” the nurse in charge greeted him when she saw him.

She stood behind the nurse’s station, holding the phone.

“Nina.”

“I was about to call you. Medics 23, 24, and 25 are en route with a code blue, and two are in potential code blue.”

Axel took off his doctor’s coat, handing it and the orange juice bottle to Nina. It was easier to work the night shift in just his scrubs. She placed the coat on the chair beside her behind the counter, the bottle under the counter, and handed him his stethoscope.

Axel sanitized his hands as Nina started an announcement over the public address.

“Attention Wuga Emergency Department. Three medics are en route, with one code blue and two in critical condition. ETA three minutes.”

Axel was already heading to the emergency doors, followed by three third-year residents in his group and four nurses; behind them, Nina had the rest of the nurses and technicians moving machines and medicine carts and preparing emergency bays.

Axel forgot the tension in his shoulders as the ambulances arrived. The paramedics opened the doors, and Axel checked the vitals of the code blue patient. He left the other two patients to two third-year residents as they rushed the coding patient to the resuscitation room.

“Female, 22, vitals are critical,” the paramedic reported as they moved. “We used the defibrillator twice. We’ve administered three epis so far. Pupils remain fixed and dilated. Her friend says she ingested pills called Rapture at the club where we picked her up, but we have no samples. Never heard of them.”

They moved the young woman onto the hospital bed, and the paramedic stepped aside to allow Axel and his team to take over.

“The same conditions apply to the other two who came in with us,” the paramedic continued. “The detectives in charge of the case are right behind us. There might be more incoming patients.”

“Oliver, take over compressions,” Axel told the third-year resident. He opened an app on his iPhone to a metronome, matching the rhythm to the patient’s heartbeat.

Axel checked the vitals on the screen and hurried around to the patient’s head. This was likely a severe overdose case. First, they needed to get the patient’s heart beating on its own again.

The paramedics had inserted a breathing tube down her throat and into her lungs. Axel checked to make sure it was sitting right. He was relieved they had done an excellent job. One of Nina’s nurses had already taken over the administration of oxygen.

Oliver’s chest compressions on the woman’s chest had frothy pulmonary secretions rising through the breathing tube. The fluids spilled out on the patient’s clothes. Oliver kept up compressions.

“How long has she been down?” Axel asked the paramedic.

“Twelve minutes,” the paramedic said.

Shit!

Oliver’s tempo changed. He was getting tired.

“Hold compressions for a rhythm check,” Axel said, glancing at the monitor.

The monitor showed a little heart rhythm. Axel grabbed the ultrasound and placed it over the young woman’s heart. The heartbeat came back soft. It was still too faint to sustain their patient’s life.

“Roll her to her right side,” Axel said.

The nurses, two second-year residents, and Oliver rolled the patient to the right side. Axel grabbed a pair of scissors and cut her dress to check her back. He felt panic rise when he noted faint streaks of pooling blood. She was crashing fast.

Still, the heart was moving, however faint. Carbon dioxide readings looked normal.

“Lay her back,” Axel said, ordering the second-year resident to restart compressions in place of Oliver.

Axel ordered another dose of epinephrine. Oliver administered it, and his skills were fast and efficient. They inserted lines into their patient’s left hand. Axel followed up the epi with a series of life-saving drugs to support resuscitation. He helped cut away stockings and pulled off the party dress. Nina replaced it with a hospital gown.

Axel monitored vitals. He used the defibrillator once to support the restoration of electrical activity. He urged a fresh second-year doctor to continue compressions.

A precious six minutes passed in tense activity. Nina recorded Axel’s orders, each action they did, the numbers on monitors, and the number of compressions Oliver and the second-year residents put in. Axel was sweating when the heart monitor finally gave them back a strong note and sustained the rhythm.

“She’s back,” Oliver said, his voice weary. “Her heart’s beating again.”

Nina patted Axel’s back, her relief coming in a swift sigh, and then she urged the nurses to start the cleanup.

Axel could only nod with a grim expression on his face as he stared at their patient’s vitals. Her heart was beating, but…it had taken too long to get her back. Too long.

Adding the six minutes to the twelve minutes with the paramedics, Axel feared their patient was brain dead.

“Prep her for ICU,” Axel said to Oliver. “Call neurology.”

“Do you think she’ll make it?” Nina asked.

“We’ve done the best we can for her right now. A neurologist will monitor her vitals,” Axel said, shaking his head. “How are the other two—?”

“Dr. Graysen!”

Axel left the first room and ran into the second one to find their second patient, a young man this time, coding.

“Code blue,” the third-year resident said.

“How long?”

“Just started.”

“Compressions, STAT,” Axel said, calling out epinephrine orders and restarting the metronome on his phone. “Nina, get Dr. Brown for the third patient. Keep the paramedics and liaise with the police officers on this case. We need more information on the drugs the patients took.”

Nina hurried away, and Axel found his third-year compressions were off rhythm.

“Get off,” Axel ordered, his tone harsh, unforgiving. He got on the resuscitation bed and started the compressions himself. He was not going to lose this one. “Oliver, get in here! Give him 100ccs of…”

****

Three hours later found Axel in a horror scene. Something had gone wrong at a rave party. The emergency room was dealing with over thirty patients with similar symptoms ranging from mild to severe.

Axel saved the coding second patient, the young man. When he was stable, Axel raced to the third patient and restarted her heart twice. She did not last, and when she crashed for the last time, Axel had to call her time of death. She was the first of the three deaths he had to call these last three hours.

Sixteen patients in critical condition arrived after her, and the emergency room turned into a gladiator ring.

Axel vs. an unknown substance called Rapture.

The second patient to die arrived in full arrest. There was nothing to do for him.

Dr. Brown came in to help and was the one who signed off on the death-on-arrival call.

Axel and Dr. Brown tried to save as many of the remaining fifteen patients as possible.

The fight exhausted Axel so much that the last patient he declared dead cracked something inside him.

“You did your best,” Nina said as she shook out a white sheet to cover their last patient. “Dr. Brown is with the other two girls who came in with this one. He’s done the same thing you’ve been doing, Axel. They are both stable for now. I say you’ve won tonight.”

Axel barely heard Nina’s words. He stared at the girl lying still on the stretcher. She was nineteen. Long, dark, curly hair fell over the stretcher. Her nails were painted in rainbow colors. She wore a Black Pink t-shirt and shorts before Nina dressed her in a hospital gown. She was so young. Barely started her life.

Now…she was gone. He had failed her. Fuck!

Axel removed the gloves he wore and dumped them in the bin. He sanitized his hands and turned to leave.

“Dr. Graysen,” Nina called his name.

Axel ignored her and stepped out of the resuscitation room. He ran past everyone who called his name and headed for the elevators. The doors closed, and he rode it straight to the top floor, not exiting until he was back on the roof.

Fresh, cool air filled his lungs. The cool night air felt like a reprieve, jerking him back from the fires of hell.

Nausea came next, and he bent over, letting out the orange juice he had drunk just three hours ago. When he was done, he reached into his pocket and found an old napkin. Wiping his mouth, he cleared his throat and moved to sit on the concrete slab he had used earlier.

He wasn’t aware of the tears falling down his cheeks until a sob escaped his lips.

*****

Jeha Wook stood by the railing on the rooftop at the Wuga Hospital, taking in the city lights and the large moon shining in the sky. His thoughts were preoccupied with his grandfather.

Chae Wook was admitted with acute ulcers caused by stress.

Jeha could not believe it. He loved his grandfather so much; it scared him to see him ill and lying on a hospital bed.

“We have a problem,” a soft-spoken male voice said behind him.

When did they never have a problem?

Jeha cleared his throat and slipped his hands into his pockets.

“What is it?” Jeha asked.

“Moon has sent around thirty kids to the Wuga Emergency Department. They overdosed on Rapture at his club. So far, there have been three confirmed deaths, including one possible brain-dead patient. Either way, we’re on the verge of a crisis.”

Jeha closed his eyes, wishing Hades would come and collect his stupid cousin.

“I shut down his rapture factory last week,” Jeha said through gritted teeth. “Where did he get the product?”

“He probably had standing stock. We’re doing the best we can to handle the paperwork downstairs. The incident has drawn too much attention. The police are on site taking statements. We can’t stop an investigation. The patients are too many.”

“Damn it.”

Jeha opened his eyes, anger rising. He would have started a rant, but then the door to the roof opened, and a lean man stumbled onto the roof. He looked exhausted; he wore scrubs; Jeha guessed he was a doctor or nurse.

Jeha blinked when the doctor bent over and puked hard.

“Find out where Moon is,” Jeha said with a frown, his gaze on the lean man. “Send people to take over Wuga Hotel’s warehouse block and take control of Moon’s supply routes. Monitor the clubs, too, but do not interfere. I don’t want us to draw any attention from the police.”

“I think that is one of the doctors working the emergency room tonight. His name is Dr. Graysen.”

“Oh,” Jeha said, his interest in the lean man rising. “Hm, get downstairs and see what needs to be cleaned up. The Wuga name should not come up in connection with Rapture. I’ll talk to the doctor.”

“Okay.”

Dr. Axel Graysen finished puking, and Jeha stopped his best friend.

“Ryan, please bring me a bottle of water before you go?” Jeha asked.

Ryan nodded and hurried to the exit.

***

Axel cried hard until the worst of the pressure in his chest eased. When he could breathe easier, he let out a soft sigh and wiped his eyes with his palms, taking several deep breaths. He dropped his hands to his lap when a bottle of water appeared before him.

Axel looked up to find a very handsome man smiling at him.

“Water is good for you after a bout of tears.”

Trust him to meet a perfect man right after he had puked his guts and cried his eyes out like a baby. Axel gave a defeated chuckle at the charming smile, looking at the bottle in the man’s hands.

“It’s safe,” the handsome man said, his voice gentle, making Axel look up to meet his warm gaze. “The bottle is still sealed.”

Axel took the bottle because he needed to escape piercing blue eyes. Uncapping the bottle to have something to do and to brush off the embarrassment of having been caught crying. He sipped the cool water, rinsed his mouth, and then drank the rest, feeling extremely thirsty. Then, he stared at the empty water bottle when he was done.

“Feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you,” Axel said, looking up to meet a worried blue gaze. “What are you doing up here?”

“I was looking for fresh air. Hospitals can be very suffocating.”

“Do you have family here?” Axel asked.

“Yes. My grandfather is ill. He is admitted here.”

“I’m sorry,” Axel said. “I hope he feels better soon.”

“Me too. What about you? Why are you so upset? Talking about it to a stranger will make you feel better.”

The handsome man sat beside him on the concrete slab, and Axel stilled when his heart skipped a beat. He instantly liked everything about his unknown knight.

This handsome stranger fit his type to a tee. Devastating looks, pulling off tailored navy-blue suits, and boasting a clean-cut appearance. He even smelled terrific.

Axel sighed.

“You’re wearing scrubs. You must be a doctor. Did something happen to a patient? Is that why you’re upset?”

Axel placed the empty water bottle between them and wiped a hand down his face. He wanted to escape the mess happening downstairs, but he couldn’t. The image of the nineteen-year-old girl he had lost minutes ago filled him. His chest tightened, and he let out a soft sigh. The dead lingered with him.

“I couldn’t save three patients tonight,” Axel said, heart aching. “It feels like I failed them, and it was too much to deal with, so I came up here. I needed a few minutes.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I’ve been a doctor for a while. One would think calling time of death should be easier by now.” Axel frowned. In truth, his emotional overload was due to stress and exhaustion. “Still, I wish I could have saved the three of them. Give them another chance. Time in the emergency room is kicking my butt tonight.”

“How many patients came in tonight?”

“The emergency room is busy as always. We just dealt with an influx of twenty patients with critical symptoms in three hours,” Axel said, shaking his head. “Three dead, one is in the balance. The full moon is at work tonight, and I’ve already broken down.”

“You saved sixteen. Sixteen lives are saved.”

Axel glanced at the handsome man, surprised by the positive outlook.

“Yes.” Axel agreed with a slight nod. “But—”

“We can’t win all battles. We lose some to learn a lesson and continue to fight again.”

“And what battles do you fight?” Axel asked, shifting to face the handsome stranger.

A soft chuckle came, and before he could get an answer to his question, the door to the roof opened to reveal a second man. This one was taller, bulkier, and dressed in a tailored suit.

“Sir,” their intruder said.

“Ryan.”

“You are needed,” Ryan said.

The handsome stranger smiled at Axel. Blue eyes studied Axel with curiosity. They made Axel want to discover more about his unexpected knight.

“I have to go, Doctor. Will you be all right up here? Should I worry about leaving you alone?”

Axel smiled. He could not help it for some reason. He could not remember anyone outside his immediate family asking him this question. It felt… pleasant and charming.

“I’ll be fine. I’m sure someone will call me to head back to ED soon.”

“Good.” A nod and another devastating smile. “Getting back on the horse is always easiest once you fall off. Never wallow in what you cannot change.”

Axel agreed with a nod and felt sad when the handsome stranger got up to join his friend Ryan.

“Wait, I didn’t catch your name,” Axel said.

“Jeha. What about you?”

“Axel. Axel Graysen. If you ever need treatment, find me. I’ll see to it.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Dr. Axel Graysen.”

“You too,” Axel said, but Jeha had already gone into the stairwell leading into the hospital.

For a full minute, Axel wished he had gotten Jeha’s number.

But he had no time to dwell on it because his phone beeped.

Nina was calling.

Axel got up and decided to take Jeha’s advice. He hoped the rest of his night would get easier.

****

Copyright © 2023 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a holiday present - a new story from author who wrote 'The Princes trilogy', a masterpiece of GA. This first chapter promises lot of excitement, adventures and love above all. My anxiety is rising, when is the next chapter?! 🙂

Happy New Year everyone! :kiss:

  • Love 5
Link to comment
Cane23

Posted (edited)

I knew kingdom Aeras sounded familiar, but it has been a while since I read The Prince and His Royal Guard. Although coming back to this story a few times, I forgot the name of the fictional kingdom. Well, Aeras seemed like a rather peaceful kingdom where only mobsters were a few members of royal family. So, we have good Wook's, bad Wook's and good doctor Axel... Is there going to be a job for Royal consort Logan to bring order to the kingdom, shall we meet HRH Leon II Maximillian of Aeras again and his amazing friends? This is story about Axel and Jeha but I would like to see some of the lovable characters from Aeras kingdom in this story too! 

Edited by Cane23
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Starting out is always....🫠 still, I'm glad you're all reading Jeha and Axel's story. @Cane23 You've found me out 🤭 . Yes, the story is set in the Kingdom of Aeras. It was meant to be a submission to an anthology or prompt on this site, but I was overcome and missed the deadline. Hahaha. I liked the characters, so I'm putting them out now. I love the fictitious world of Aeras and wondered what it would be like to explore it in a different light. I may cameo Leon and Logan, but we'll see. I'm so excited you remember HRH Leon and Logan. It makes me all warm and excited. Thank you so much for reading.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, lilansui said:

Starting out is always....🫠 still, I'm glad you're all reading Jeha and Axel's story. @Cane23 You've found me out 🤭 . Yes, the story is set in the Kingdom of Aeras. It was meant to be a submission to an anthology or prompt on this site, but I was overcome and missed the deadline. Hahaha. I liked the characters, so I'm putting them out now. I love the fictitious world of Aeras and wondered what it would be like to explore it in a different light. I may cameo Leon and Logan, but we'll see. I'm so excited you remember HRH Leon and Logan. It makes me all warm and excited. Thank you so much for reading.

Yes that would be great to see Leon and Logan again ❤️

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I'm pleased and excited to see a new story, Lilansui!  I am even more excited to be back in the Kingdom of Aeras.  The two new characters, as well as the beginning scene, have definitely caught my interest. Seeing cameos of familiar characters would be an added bonus, but not essential.  Your stories always engage and entertain me.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..